PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

MegaBass
Aug 26, 2012, 7:34 PM
Also noticed construction of The District is starting to pick up the pace. Not so much the case with SRC expansion.

RichTempe
Aug 27, 2012, 12:04 AM
I know its a tough world for book stores these days, but its surprising to me that a place like Changing Hands wouldn't rather be on Mill Ave or Downtown than in their current suburban location. Seems like a much more natural fit.

Changing Hands actually started out on Mill Avenue in 1974 and was there until 2000. High rent and changing demographics were apparently the reasons given for closing. The current location at Guadalupe & McClintock opened in 1998.

exit2lef
Aug 27, 2012, 12:06 PM
I know its a tough world for book stores these days, but its surprising to me that a place like Changing Hands wouldn't rather be on Mill Ave or Downtown than in their current suburban location. Seems like a much more natural fit.

My conjecture about the location:

Keep in mind that Changing Hands probably enjoys more support from ASU faculty than ASU students. Faculty are more likely to live in southern Tempe residential neighborhoods and appreciate a store near them.

Changing Hands opened its southern Tempe location at the same time that Border's was moving into Mill Avenue. There was some brief talk of maintaining two locations, one on Mill and one in southern Tempe, but that didn't last long. By moving away from Mill, Changing Hands avoided competing directly with Borders.

Of course, a lot is different on Mill in 2012. The entire Borders chain has collapsed and light rail makes Mill more accessible. It would be nice to see an independent bookstore back there some day.

For now, though, I think the Changing Hands at Guadalupe and McClintock is worth a visit. The shopping center there is decidedly suburban in design but is occupied mostly by independent businesses or somewhat interesting chains like Trader Joe's. If you go, have a meal at Mac's Broiler & Tap or Wildflower Bread Company next door. If you don't want to drive there, ride your bike along the Western Canal Path, Tempe's recently improved bicycle route through its southern neighborhoods.

DevilsRider
Aug 27, 2012, 3:39 PM
Public meeting is tonight at 6:30 pm, 34 East 7th St in Tempe.

Construction on the four-story structure, which will include two levels of underground parking, is expected to start around mid-year 2013. Opening is slated for mid-year 2014, with build out expected to take 18 months. Contractor still to be selected. No word on development cost, unit sizes or projected rental rates. Of the apartments, 12 will be studios, 112 will be one-bedroom, 112 will be two-bedroom and 22 are expected to be three-bedroom units. The project will be the first in the Valley for OliverMcMillan

http://www.brewaz.com/content/index_story_free.php?story_id=8409&volume_num=XVIII&issue_num=33&issue_date=August%2024,%202012

ASUSunDevil
Aug 27, 2012, 3:53 PM
New ASU stadium district could be boost for Tempe

by Dianna M. Náñez and Anne Ryman - Aug. 27, 2012 06:56 AM
The Republic | azcentral.com

Business leaders are hopeful that Arizona State University's stadium district will be the shot-in-the-arm Tempe needs to fill in land that has long sat vacant near Town Lake.

Although university officials have said the project could take 20 years to fully develop, Mayor Mark Mitchell said that even moderate development is better than leaving the space vacant as it has been for years.

Mitchell said he supports the effort because an athletics district next to the nation's largest campus by enrollment is a smart investment that would attract new industries to the state and Tempe.

"I think there's great opportunities to get that investment in development, where currently we don't have anything," he said.

Mary Ann Miller, Tempe Chamber of Commerce president, said the massive development would change the face of Tempe, ASU and Town Lake.

Miller said that it would likely be difficult to launch such an ambitious plan in the still-tough economy.

Although there's still uncertainty for future major developments on Rio Salado, should plans for ASU's stadium district and the Cubs Stadium come together, the region would be a top national tourism draw.

ASU unveiled concepts this week for the 330-acre district. No developer has been selected but the university wants the master plan to include retail, residential and amateur athletic facilities.

Hotels and a spa-and-wellness center could complement the athletic facilities. New development would replace much of ASU's Karsten Golf Course.

ASU officials hope revenue from the commercial development will raise funds to rebuild Sun Devil Stadium.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/2012/08/22/20120822new-university-stadium-district-could-boost-tempe.html#ixzz24lKRIvlT

AJphx
Aug 29, 2012, 2:33 AM
Changing Hands was on Mill in the location that is now Old Town Books, I believe. If I remember correctly it also had an upstairs area though, which old town books doesn't seem to have. And yes it was that size... it was a small bookstore. So Old Town should give you an idea of what Changing Hands used to look like.

It obviously got more space by moving... I imagine the former borders location would be a lot more expensive for them anyway.

ASUSunDevil
Aug 30, 2012, 12:11 AM
The Bill Tonneson structure is getting closer to completion at the corner of Mill and Rio Salado at Monti's. The fact that there is some, but not total unison between that structure and the one at Hayden Flour Mill is mind boggling. It's supposed to be a gateway into Tempe and now it just looks a bit strange. They're almost identical to each other, but not really....

Anyways, The Hub keeps getting taller and taller, its got to be incredibly close to the full 19 stories.

Any info on the Bill Tonneson thing would be appreciated.

Arquitect
Aug 30, 2012, 8:08 PM
The Bill Tonneson structure is getting closer to completion at the corner of Mill and Rio Salado at Monti's. The fact that there is some, but not total unison between that structure and the one at Hayden Flour Mill is mind boggling. It's supposed to be a gateway into Tempe and now it just looks a bit strange. They're almost identical to each other, but not really....

Anyways, The Hub keeps getting taller and taller, its got to be incredibly close to the full 19 stories.

Any info on the Bill Tonneson thing would be appreciated.

I haven't seen the project since it was in its conceptual stage, but the first design was going to house many of Tonneson's sculptures. Almost like a clock tower, it would reveal some at different time and even in different days. I'm not sure if that mechanical component is still part of what is being built, but it will differ to the other side of Mill once the sculptures are added. I think it will look pretty cool. Street art always makes streets a little more interesting.

ASUSunDevil
Aug 30, 2012, 9:38 PM
I haven't seen the project since it was in its conceptual stage, but the first design was going to house many of Tonneson's sculptures. Almost like a clock tower, it would reveal some at different time and even in different days. I'm not sure if that mechanical component is still part of what is being built, but it will differ to the other side of Mill once the sculptures are added. I think it will look pretty cool. Street art always makes streets a little more interesting.

Bill's work is awesome, I'm sure it will look great when it's finished.

HX_Guy
Aug 31, 2012, 11:40 PM
Good new for Tempe...

Luxury apartment complex slated for banks of Tempe Town Lake
Phoenix Business Journal by Kristena Hansen, Reporter
Date: Friday, August 31, 2012, 3:55pm MST

San Diego-based OliverMcMillan is vying to erect a roughly 260-unit luxury apartment complex on the south edge of Tempe Town Lake.
Blueprints call for a four-story project -- dubbed The Lofts at Hayden Ferry -- that would include fifth-level lofts and two levels of underground parking. It would be located just east of the Hayden Ferry Lakeside project near Rio Salado Parkway and Mill Ave., according to records filed with the city. The project is being designed by MVE & Partners in Irvine, Calif.
On Sept. 11, the city’s Development Review Commission will consider OliverMcMillan’s request for zoning approval, which would increase allowable density from 226 units to 264, and eliminate the required 20-foot front parking setback entirely, according to city documents. The developer also wants minimum required parking spaces to be reduced from 511 to 459, and bicycle spaces from 125 to 100.
The commission will decide that day whether to recommend the developer’s requests for city council approval.
OliverMcMillan representatives declined to comment, but according to a recent Business Real Estate Weekly of Arizona article, which initially broke the story, approval of the project would be a grandiose entrance into the Phoenix-area market for the private developer.
The BREW article also said that OliverMcMillan has yet to even purchase the 3.7-acre site slated for the apartment project, which is currently owned by an entity controlled by Sunbelt Holdings LLC in Scottsdale. Sunbelt Holdings did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Friday.
That land transaction, according to BREW, could close for roughly $5 million, and is contingent upon zoning approval by the council. Michael Lieb of Michael A. Lieb Ltd. in Phoenix, who is negotiating the land deal, also declined to comment.
Should OliverMcMillan win the city’s favor, the developer would likely break ground within about a year and wrap up construction within 18 months thereafter, according to BREW.
It was unclear as to how much the project would cost, or which company would be selected as the general contractor.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2012/08/31/luxury-apartment-complex-slated-for.html?page=all

Jjs5056
Sep 1, 2012, 1:14 AM
On the positive side, more residential near (well, on...) the lake and downtown is great for Tempe; additionally, I'm assuming that the design will break away from that of the rest of Hayden Ferry Lakeside given the new developer involved, which will be a lot better looking IMO than the mile of identical, blue-glass buildings that was originally proposed between Mill and Rural.

On the down side, 4 stories is pretty lame, though the reference to "5th level lofts" gives me hope that the height won't be too terribly disappointing. I'm all for a mix of heights along the bank, but the current HFL buildings look a lot more impressive than the two complexes on the other end (Grigio and Northshore).

What are people's thoughts on HFL, in general? I really wish the garage had been wrapped on both sides with retail. With the good things going on at the Mill, Monti's and the Gateway building, it's a shame that there's no retail fronting Ro Salado and creating some synergies. Even the third office building, which had been redesigned at one point to address the corner, seems to be more inward-facing in the latest renderings. Would be great if the hotel could come back to life; if I remember correctly, that was going to be built right up to Rio Salado.

nickw252
Sep 1, 2012, 2:11 AM
I would of course like to see taller also but this is really good news, especially considering:

the city’s Development Review Commission will consider OliverMcMillan’s request for zoning approval, which wouldincrease allowable density from 226 units to 264, and eliminate the required 20-foot front parking setback entirely, according to city documents. The developer also wants minimum required parking spaces to be reduced from 511 to 459

Moreover, you really don't need excessive height to create a vibrant and dense downtown. A well designed four to five story building without a bunch of land wasted on surface parking is great. If you're going for a nice skyline though, this isn't going to do much...

nickw252
Sep 1, 2012, 2:13 AM
Looking at some of their projects in San Diego is promising:

http://www.olivermcmillan.com/downtownsandiego

Jjs5056
Sep 1, 2012, 2:55 AM
I would of course like to see taller also but this is really good news, especially considering:

Moreover, you really don't need excessive height to create a vibrant and dense downtown. A well designed four to five story building without a bunch of land wasted on surface parking is great. If you're going for a nice skyline though, this isn't going to do much...

Totally. Unfortunately, there's still so many empty lots near downtown Tempe, so more height in the few projects that are popping up is a quicker way toward creating that density. And, to be clear, I'm not looking for Centerpoint/West 6th heights; but, 8-12 would be more encouraging than 4. Either way, nice to see more residential development.

Love the look of their projects, though. I wish they owned the lot on Ash and University as I think one of these would look great there and be a nice bridge between downtown and the neighborhoods.

Can you (or anyone) explain the first part you italicized? The 20 foot parking setback? Also, while it's great to see a reduction in the required parking, the garage will be underground anyway so won't make much of a difference to the design of the property.

Vicelord John
Sep 1, 2012, 3:18 AM
I hope the city doesn't waver on the bicycle spaces.

ASUSunDevil
Sep 1, 2012, 6:30 AM
Love the look of their projects, though. I wish they owned the lot on Ash and University as I think one of these would look great there and be a nice bridge between downtown and the neighborhoods.

That lot is being completely wasted. A 5-6 story building similar to an Oliver McMillan design with a grocery store on the bottom floor. Hello! Make it happen somebody!!

I know the lot was sold about a year ago, no idea what they're waiting for...

PhxER
Sep 1, 2012, 9:43 PM
According to The Hub's facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/HubOnCampus), they got 5 leases in 2 hours. Not bad.
Here is a list of their prices:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/216960_264466580338840_259140027_n.jpg

Vicelord John
Sep 1, 2012, 10:54 PM
That seems insanely expensive.... how much is a two bedroom apartment off campus?

nickw252
Sep 2, 2012, 1:03 AM
That seems insanely expensive.... how much is a two bedroom apartment off campus?

They're fully furnished (including flat screens in living room), it includes cable and Internet, many units have private hot tubs, and it's in an awesome brand new building in a great location. That doesn't sound insanely expensive to me at all.

Vicelord John
Sep 2, 2012, 1:12 AM
ah, wasn't aware of all that.

hot tub in unit on campus = sexy parties non stop!

nickw252
Sep 2, 2012, 1:47 AM
Tempe - OliverMcMillan in San Diego, Calif. (Dene Oliver, James McMillan, principals) plans to develop a 258-unit apartment community along the south side of Tempe Town Lake and just north of Arizona State University in Tempe. The company is buying the 3.69- acre site from a venture formed by Sunbelt holdings LLC in Scottsdale (John Graham, pres.). No word on purchase price, but sources say that number will be north of $5 million. The sale, which is contingent on zoning approval and is expected to close around year-end, is being negotiated by Michael Lieb of Michael A. Lieb Ltd. in Phoenix. The project, being called The Lofts at Hayden Ferry, is being designed by MVE & Partners in Irvine, Calif. (formerly known as McLarand Vasquez & Emsiek). Construction on the four-story structure, which will include two levels of underground parking, is expected to start around mid-year 2013. Opening is slated for mid-year 2014, with build out expected to take 18 months. Contractor still to be selected. No word on development cost, unit sizes or projected rental rates. Of the apartments, 12 will be studios, 112 will be one-bedroom, 112 will be two-bedroom and 22 are expected to be three-bedroom units. The project will be the first in the Valley for OliverMcMillan, a privately-held developer. Eric Buchanan, managing director of development for OliverMcMillan, says the company is interested in more real estate development opportunities in the Phoenix area. OliverMcMillan is well-known for developing commercial projects within the Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego.

I'd love to see them do some residential developments around downtown and midtown Phoenix.

http://www.brewaz.com/content/index_story_free.php?story_id=8409&volume_num=XVIII&issue_num=33&issue_date=August%2024,%202012

ASUSunDevil
Sep 5, 2012, 9:29 PM
I was on campus today and noticed that the frat houses are finally getting bulldozed. Looks like this could be the start of a makeover for Rural between University and Rio Salado.

MegaBass
Sep 5, 2012, 11:07 PM
I was on campus today and noticed that the frat houses are finally getting bulldozed. Looks like this could be the start of a makeover for Rural between University and Rio Salado.

Yeah mentioned earlier. At least we didn't have to wait five years to knock them down. Guessing Ceramics Graduate Studio would be the last to go after the semester or next academic year? Wonder what it would take if Tempe or the University could take over take car wash lot on the corner and make it into something like a Visitor Center.

nickw252
Sep 7, 2012, 4:49 AM
The City of Tempe is working to bring more business back to Mill Avenue.

In the past few years, the city has talked about adding a streetcar and bringing new restaurants, ice cream shops and bars to the area in an effort to restore the heart of the city.

Mill Avenue borders the Tempe campus, making it a prime spot for business.

However, since the opening of Tempe Marketplace in 2007, business on Mill Avenue has been suffering.

Criminology senior Julia Martin has worked at Hippie Gypsy on Mill Avenue and 6th Street for seven years.

“I think it was a poor decision on the city’s part to move opportunity for revenue and to put it in a place far away from the city’s central district at a time (when) Mill Avenue really needed the revenue,” Martin said. “It would have helped strengthen the backbone of the city.”

However, new businesses are popping up along the popular corridor, especially between 3rd and 7th streets.

Devil’s Diner and Rita’s Italian Ice both opened in June. July saw Desert Roots Kitchen open, and World of Beer opened in August.

There are also plans for a Loco Patron in October.

“Most of the new businesses opening on Mill Avenue are local,” Martin said. “Those businesses are what we needed for years, and we need to keep fostering them.”

Melissa Towe, manager at Crave Café and Lounge on Mill Avenue between 5th and 6th streets, said the new bars and restaurants haven’t affected business negatively.

“It’s actually getting better,“ she said.

The city is also working with Valley Metro to make the street more accessible, hoping this will draw more visitors.  They plan to add a streetcar by 2016.

Valley Metro estimates the project, which is scheduled to start construction in early 2014, will cost $130 million.

The project will be funded with federal grant dollars and county funds allocated for street construction and public transportation from a half-cent sales tax increase approved in 2004.

The one-way loop will run 2.6 miles, going north on Mill Avenue and south on Ash Avenue between Rio Salado Parkway and University Drive.

The vehicle will hold roughly 125 passengers and will run on tracks along the street, eliminating excess asphalt.

With the addition of the streetcar, the city plans to work with Valley Metro in redesigning the streets it crosses to give a better atmosphere.

Herman and Carol Court, who live just one house from where the tracks of the streetcar are to be built, worry about the construction.

Carol said it’s already difficult to leave their house during rush hour.

“We already have different forms of transportation,” she said. “Are they going to eliminate some?”

Rush hour is already hectic and neither can imagine the traffic once the streetcar is being constructed.

“It’s a lot of money for a streetcar,” Herman said.

The Tempe streetcar is in its first phase, environmental assessment, and will begin its second phase of design in spring.

http://www.statepress.com/2012/09/05/mill-ave-streetcar-could-return-traffic-lost-to-tempe-marketplace/

And

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/morning_call/2012/09/streetcar-may-help-steer-traffic-to.html

MegaBass
Sep 7, 2012, 5:05 PM
https://asunews.asu.edu/files/images/03_palo_verde_lawn_construction_0155w.jpg

Palo Verde Beach (https://asunews.asu.edu/20120906_gallery_weekinpics#2), on the Tempe campus, is undergoing major improvements to the landscaping and patio areas between the residence halls, with construction scheduled to be completed later this month.

https://asunews.asu.edu/files/images/09_wpc_construction_0710w.jpg

W. P. Carey School of Business McCord Hall (https://asunews.asu.edu/20120906_gallery_weekinpics#8)

MegaBass
Sep 19, 2012, 11:45 PM
ASU's new science building will push boundaries of research, exploration (https://asunews.asu.edu/20120919_ISTBIV_opening)

ASU’s newest science building – the Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Building IV (ISTB 4), on the Tempe campus – is designed to advance research and discovery, and to encourage children to explore their futures as scientists and engineers. The building will do this through a mixture of high-tech labs, interactive environments and open spaces that will allow the public to witness research and technology advancement as it happens.

A formal opening of ISTB 4 took place at 8 a.m., today.

The seven-story, 293,000-square-foot building is designed to provide flexible laboratories for ASU’s School of Earth and Space Exploration (SESE), ASU’s Security and Defense Systems Initiative, and research laboratories and centers of the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering.

The building provides ample laboratory space –166 lab modules with wet and dry labs and a rooftop laboratory – and an inviting public space, in addition to offices, collaboration spaces and meeting rooms for faculty and staff.

“This new facility will not only offer state-of-the-art equipment and infrastructure, but will provide a unique collaborative environment that is designed to foster large, team-driven projects in areas such as earth and space exploration, security and defense systems research and renewable energy,” said Sethuraman Panchanathan, senior vice president with ASU’s Office of Knowledge Enterprise Development (OKED). The office advances research, innovation, entrepreneurship and economic development activities for ASU.

ISTB 4’s design embodies the transdisciplinary spirit of ASU, accommodating research programs from science and engineering, and continuously encouraging interaction of both worlds.

“The SESE faculty and research staff are well known for their scientific research, but many in the ASU and Phoenix communities are less aware of their well-deserved international reputation for engineering, particularly designing and deploying advanced instruments to enable scientific exploration of Earth and other worlds,” said Kip Hodges, director of SESE, part of ASU’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. “Sophisticated laboratories for instrument development in ISTB 4 will further increase ASU’s leadership, and we have designed several of these laboratories so that the public can watch technologies being created.”

“We encourage multiple faculty with compatible research agendas to use the major laboratories in a collaborative way, reinforcing the transdisciplinary spirit of ASU,” added Hodges.

One of the first engineering challenges for SESE in ISTB 4 is OSIRIS-REx Thermal Emission Spectrometer (OTES), which will be the first major scientific instrument completely designed and built at ASU for a NASA space mission. Viewing windows will allow visitors to see into the environmentally controlled facilities where the OTES instrument is being built.

For ASU engineering, ISTB 4 will help with facing today’s challenges and building a better society for tomorrow.

“This signature facility reflects our core research themes of energy, health, security, sustainability and education through the five main engineering centers housed in the building,” said Paul Johnson, dean of the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering. “The interdisciplinary environment fosters close collaboration among SESE and Fulton Engineering researchers as we pursue complementary efforts to advance the technology of tomorrow and provide practical solutions to real-world challenges today.”

In addition to complex labs, the new building boasts a five-story, naturally lit atrium (starting at the third floor) offering a series of “living rooms in the sky” for scientists and engineers to meet. It also has world-class conference facilities and first and second floor public outreach spaces designed to communicate the excitement of scientific research and the technologies that enable it.

First floor facilities feature digital media, public lectures, visible laboratories and interactive displays. A focal point of the building is the Marston Exploration Theater.

“We all wonder what future scientific innovation will bring and are fortunate to now have a center that invites the public to witness and be participants in science and discovery happening on our own doorsteps,” said Robert Page, vice provost and dean of ASU’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. “A special gift from Carolyn ‘Susie’ Marston in memory of her husband Barret is the 238-seat theater for high-definition documentaries, 3-D planetarium-style shows and media-rich space for teaching undergraduates. It will touch people of all ages.”

Another highlight is the 4,300-square-foot “Gallery of Earth and Space Exploration,” outfitted with kiosk-style interactive exhibits and large-format, high-definition monitors that display video from Earth-observing satellites and robotic probes of other worlds.

On the second floor is ASU’s Center for Meteorite Studies, relocated and expanded for greater public access, which features interactive displays, touchable specimens and a video display of most of the collection’s specimens. Also on this floor are a variety of learning spaces designed to stimulate discovery and exploration of Earth and space science that will be used specifically for outreach to pre-college students.

“Research is vital to the health of our economy and our society, so it’s very important that we not only advance it, but we do it in such a way as to generate excitement for future generations of scientists and engineers,” said Panchanathan. “This facility is poised to advance new technologies, explore our world and encourage our children to be participants in this exciting endeavor.”

Photos from today's Grand Opening (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151070356341693.430056.56536866692&type=1)

TempeSilverFox
Sep 23, 2012, 10:04 PM
I took some pictures today of the new gateway sculpture at the southwest corner of Mill and Rio Salado next to Monti's. I actually really like it. It's a bit unusual, but the desert plantings and small water feature are really unique! I can't wait to see what goes up on the southeast side when it's done.

http://i50.tinypic.com/sxoitf.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ldzurm.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/14m422w.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/jahst5.jpg

TempeSilverFox
Sep 23, 2012, 10:15 PM
Hi everyone. I think I must be totally retarded. I can't for the life of me figure out how to make my pictures show up on here. I opened up a Flickr account, I have pictures that I have uploaded to it, and I read the thread on here about how to right click on my flickr image to "Copy link location" - and I used the little insert image icon and paste the link location- and still- NOTHING.

What is the magical secret??? I even downloaded Firefox to my iMac so I could follow the thread's instructions. What I am doing wrong??? I have SO many cool pictures I would like to share- and I'm so frustrated with this ridiculous process. Why can't we just directly upload the pictures to the thread like we can to Facebook?

Help... anyone...

nickw252
Sep 23, 2012, 10:30 PM
I think Flickr sometimes prevents you from posting pics on forums. I use www.tinypic.com. It doesn't require you to sign up or anything. Give that site a try.

TempeSilverFox
Sep 23, 2012, 10:37 PM
I think Flickr sometimes prevents you from posting pics on forums. I use www.tinypic.com. It doesn't require you to sign up or anything. Give that site a try.

Thank you!!! I will try it out!

TempeSilverFox
Sep 23, 2012, 10:45 PM

It worked like a charm! Thank you so much Nickw252!

TempeSilverFox
Sep 23, 2012, 10:51 PM
I also saw some renderings for Block 12 along College and 7th Street. Looks like an interesting project.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG0018_zps215dcbaa.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG0017_zps75ad2c61.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG0016_zps59e4cbf2.jpg

Phxguy
Sep 24, 2012, 12:52 AM
Awh, you beat me to it. I've walked past those signs about everyday last week and every time I said "I'll bring a camera next time." With a new ASU bookstore what will they do with the old space? The bookstore they have now takes up an entire building.

MegaBass
Sep 25, 2012, 1:10 AM
Awh, you beat me to it. I've walked past those signs about everyday last week and every time I said "I'll bring a camera next time." With a new ASU bookstore what will they do with the old space? The bookstore they have now takes up an entire building.

More of apparel-centric in there now than it has in the past. Moving the Bike Co-Op to the old bookstore would be nice or having like a 24/7 bike cellar.

MegaBass
Sep 28, 2012, 2:29 PM
Regents approve $35 million for Hayden Library project (http://www.statepress.com/2012/09/27/abor-approves-35-million-for-hayden-library-project/)
The Arizona Board of Regents approved a $35 million improvement project for Hayden Library at its first meeting for the 2012-13 academic year Thursday, among other agenda items.

The newly approved fiscal ABOR fiscal budget for 2014 is awaiting approval by the governor’s office.

ASU President Michael Crow emphasized at the meeting that the library needed to meet the standard of the growing ASU population.

“We need to completely take the heart of the information enterprise at the University (and) we need to re-conceptualize (Hayden Library) physically and technologically,” Crow said.

N830MH
Sep 29, 2012, 12:33 AM

Actually, you can go on www.photobucket.com and it is free of charge. You can upload any pictures. Then you copies the link and you have do ctrl+C and then ctrl+V. It's very easy way to do it. Hope this helps.

TempeSilverFox
Sep 29, 2012, 8:39 PM
Was out on a bike ride today and snapped a few shots to share. Pictured below: The Hub (near Sun Devil Stadium,) and the new Marriott at Forest and 5th Street. They are both looking good! I think the Hub has topped out, but the Marriott still has a couple more stories to go.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG0047_zps27a91c9b.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG0046_zpsa53da7f8.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG0045_zpsf6dff194.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG0040_zps74b69b81.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG0052_zpsf5f1d622.jpg

TempeSilverFox
Sep 29, 2012, 8:45 PM
I can't remember the name of this project- I know we mentioned it a few weeks ago- but I saw that there is a large lot now fenced off on First Street - just south of the Tempe Center for the Arts. I seem to recall that they will be around 6 stories high with parking underneath? I guess they plan to demolish the two buildings that are there now. I have lived on First Street for a few years and I have never seen any activity in them- so my guess is they are empty and not used anyhow.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG0035_zpsead82b70.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG0034_zps942b6e48.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG0037_zps9786a916.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG0036_zps5d407091.jpg

I also that on the NE corner of First and Hardy- there seems to be something going on..

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/IMAG0032_zpsd1e7d3dd.jpg

Jjs5056
Sep 29, 2012, 10:29 PM
Yes, the project (Argo at Town Lake) will replace those small commercial buildings. It's a very cool project and I'm glad to see that it's moving forward. Unfortunately, the buildings will only be 4 stories, which seems to be the height of most new developments popping up in Tempe around the lake (such as the Lofts at Hayden Ferry); even 6 stories would make much more of an impact and help create a variety of heights downtown. Oh well!

Anyway, the project will contain live-work units built right up to Rio Salado. In addition, there will be a bike repair shop, coffee bar and space for food trucks during events at the TCA. Very interesting concept and it's great to see such a well-thought out development with a focus on sustainability, alternative transportation, community, mixed uses, etc.

http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/1207/bxnrvtrjbmbacnmc0m3qj1v2/156048370929201203111531.PDF

http://www.evergreendev.com/apartments.html

TempeSilverFox
Sep 29, 2012, 11:54 PM
Yes, the project (Argo at Town Lake) will replace those small commercial buildings. It's a very cool project and I'm glad to see that it's moving forward. Unfortunately, the buildings will only be 4 stories, which seems to be the height of most new developments popping up in Tempe around the lake (such as the Lofts at Hayden Ferry); even 6 stories would make much more of an impact and help create a variety of heights downtown. Oh well!

Anyway, the project will contain live-work units built right up to Rio Salado. In addition, there will be a bike repair shop, coffee bar and space for food trucks during events at the TCA. Very interesting concept and it's great to see such a well-thought out development with a focus on sustainability, alternative transportation, community, mixed uses, etc.

http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/cache/1207/bxnrvtrjbmbacnmc0m3qj1v2/156048370929201203111531.PDF

http://www.evergreendev.com/apartments.html

I like the sail features. I hope they stay in the final design. Kinda keeps the whole boating theme going near the lake. I agree- 6 stories would be nice. But even four is better than the vacant lot and broken down old buildings that are there now. I like the idea of making the property interact more with Rio Salado. I live down the street- so a coffee shop and bike repair place would be fantastic!

Land Arch Student
Sep 30, 2012, 5:30 AM
http://azbex.com/asu-seeks-developer-for-7-7m-sf-mixed-use-project/

http://azbex.com/asu-seeks-innovation-for-330-acre-district-development/

This project was mentioned briefly a couple of weeks ago, but I think it deserves more attention. ASU is looking for developers to develop a new stadium district that includes/covers the current football stadium, basketball stadium, Karsten Golf Course, and loosely the land south of the lake and north of University Drive, along Rural Road.

I understand the stadium requires extensive repairs, but I just don't like the scale and expense of such a large development scheme. The project has the potential to add to the atmosphere of Downtown Tempe and the lake and connect the Tempe Marketplace development as a regional retail/shopping district.

I also think such a grand project has the potential to take away from Downtown Tempe, which is just finally starting to improve at a reasonable rate. Though ASU does state that the Stadium District will focus on spas and other sports related business opportunities. Taking away Karsten is also not ideal in my eyes, as ASU is one of four universities with an on campus golf course.

ASU's entire attitude on the project makes me uncomfortable as well. ASU Athletic Director Steve Patterson has said "It's going to happen." And Mark Mitchell doesn't seem concerned enough for the life of Downtown Tempe. The whole project just seems dirty in my mind.

I'm interested in what everyone has to say on the topic.

This is also my first post, so Hello to everyone.

MegaBass
Oct 1, 2012, 3:11 AM

This project was mentioned briefly a couple of weeks ago, but I think it deserves more attention. ASU is looking for developers to develop a new stadium district that includes/covers the current football stadium, basketball stadium, Karsten Golf Course, and loosely the land south of the lake and north of University Drive, along Rural Road.

I understand the stadium requires extensive repairs, but I just don't like the scale and expense of such a large development scheme. The project has the potential to add to the atmosphere of Downtown Tempe and the lake and connect the Tempe Marketplace development as a regional retail/shopping district.

I also think such a grand project has the potential to take away from Downtown Tempe, which is just finally starting to improve at a reasonable rate. Though ASU does state that the Stadium District will focus on spas and other sports related business opportunities. Taking away Karsten is also not ideal in my eyes, as ASU is one of four universities with an on campus golf course.

ASU's entire attitude on the project makes me uncomfortable as well. ASU Athletic Director Steve Patterson has said "It's going to happen." And Mark Mitchell doesn't seem concerned enough for the life of Downtown Tempe. The whole project just seems dirty in my mind.

I'm finding it hard to be partial to Karsten though. If it really mattered then I don't think Coach Mickelson or his brother Phil would be involved with the Men's program. He had to know going in that this was the situation moving forward. Heck hardly any of the golf alums were involved prior to the hiring of Patterson but that's sort of been the MO for Sun Devil Athletics.

Not like the Athletic Department is financially fit either with one of the lowest revenues in the conference hence why they the Stadium District route. I think it also gives further reason for the Streetcar to head eastward on Rio Salado.

TempeSilverFox
Oct 1, 2012, 4:37 AM

Welcome Land Arch Student!
My thought about the whole athletic complex is why not? Karsten is very pretty to drive by, but being so close to Town Lake, and being between Tempe Marketplace and Downtown- well- the land has got to be pretty valuable. The Phoenix area has no shortage of golf courses for ASU students to play.
As far as detracting from Mill Avenue, I don't see that happening. I think increasing the activity level in the area, and bringing in more people and more businesses will only fuel the energy of the Mill Avenue area. Mill is Mill, and people will always go there to have a good night out. And if the Street Car does eventually connect Mill with the new athletic complex- and then Tempe Marketplace and the Cubs new Spring Training center- then I can foresee people using it for pub crawls and getting between all these hot spots.
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on why you don't think Mark Mitchell cares about downtown? I got the opposite impression when I voted for him. One of his goals is to attract a convention center to Downtown Tempe and to continue attracting more and more diverse businesses to the area. I know he has some reservations about the Street Car- and frankly- so do I. I'm an advocate for public transportation, and I use Metro to go between Tempe and Phoenix frequently, but the Street Car route- as it stands: between Southern and Rio Salado completely puzzles me. Is there really that much of a demand to have a fixed rail system between Southern and downtown? Are they going to put in a park and ride at Southern? The area along Mill between Southern and Rio Salado is already pretty nice (for the most part) - so I don't see much in the way for redevelopment opportunities, unless the plan is to tear down all the existing stuff and densify further. The Orbit already runs this route- and it's free to use, so I honestly don't understand the logic behind the chosen route. Running it along Rio Salado makes sense to me. Connect Tempe Marketplace and Mesa Riverview. Those are high traffic- major draws. What is at Southern? The library and the History Museum yes- but hmm...
Anyway- sorry I'm rambling.. Those are my thoughts lol.
Again- welcome. Good question!!!

exit2lef
Oct 1, 2012, 12:39 PM
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on why you don't think Mark Mitchell cares about downtown? I got the opposite impression when I voted for him. One of his goals is to attract a convention center to Downtown Tempe and to continue attracting more and more diverse businesses to the area. I know he has some reservations about the Street Car- and frankly- so do I. I'm an advocate for public transportation, and I use Metro to go between Tempe and Phoenix frequently, but the Street Car route- as it stands: between Southern and Rio Salado completely puzzles me. Is there really that much of a demand to have a fixed rail system between Southern and downtown? Are they going to put in a park and ride at Southern? The area along Mill between Southern and Rio Salado is already pretty nice (for the most part) - so I don't see much in the way for redevelopment opportunities, unless the plan is to tear down all the existing stuff and densify further. The Orbit already runs this route- and it's free to use, so I honestly don't understand the logic behind the chosen route. Running it along Rio Salado makes sense to me. Connect Tempe Marketplace and Mesa Riverview. Those are high traffic- major draws. What is at Southern? The library and the History Museum yes- but hmm...

Agree completely (except that I couldn't vote for Mitchell because I live in Phoenix). I'm not sure why Mitchell is seen as anti-Downtown and would like to hear some clarification. Likewise, I favor an east-west streetcar along Rio Salado over the currently proposed north-south one along Mill. South of Gammage and St. Luke's, Mill is mostly neighborhoods of single family homes without a lot of vacant lots that offer an opportunity for high-density development.

Land Arch Student
Oct 2, 2012, 3:49 AM
I didn't mean to say that Mitchell was anti-downtown, because everyone should be, what I meant was that I was slightly uncomfortable with how laxed he seemed in the article, and how confident Steve Patterson seemed. This large of a project will require a lot, A LOT, of collaboration between ASU, DTC, and the City Council. I also don't like that the project will pay no property taxes, which takes away from the entire Tempe community.

I understand that the streetcar is meant to alleviate Rural Road as a transportation corridor, along with connect people with downtown even more so. Really, in my opinion, either route would be great for Tempe in terms of increasing the diversity of transportation options for the people. Funding for the streetcar worries me too, especially since the Tempe budget is as it currently stands. However, I believe the thought is to get something permanent in the ground and then ask for federal funding to expand the route.

HooverDam
Oct 2, 2012, 5:54 AM
I didn't mean to say that Mitchell was anti-downtown, because everyone should be

Huh?

I also don't like that the project will pay no property taxes, which takes away from the entire Tempe community..

It doesn't benefit the Tempe community directly through property taxes, but it does benefit the community in a myriad of other ways. The project theoretically lets ASU be more competitive, if ASU is better at sports, especially football and basketball, that brings tons of money to Tempe.

If Sun Devil Stadium is in better shape, it means the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl won't ever be leaving. If the athletic complex happens, it means Tempe & PHX could jointly host the Pan American Games.

If Sun Devil Stadium has a shade structure and its tolerable heat wise, it means SDS can host World Cup soccer matches along w/ UofP next time the World cup comes to the USA.

phxSUNSfan
Oct 2, 2012, 5:57 AM
I didn't mean to say that Mitchell was anti-downtown, because everyone should be, what I meant was that I was slightly uncomfortable with how laxed he seemed in the article, and how confident Steve Patterson seemed. This large of a project will require a lot, A LOT, of collaboration between ASU, DTC, and the City Council. I also don't like that the project will pay no property taxes, which takes away from the entire Tempe community.

I understand that the streetcar is meant to alleviate Rural Road as a transportation corridor, along with connect people with downtown even more so. Really, in my opinion, either route would be great for Tempe in terms of increasing the diversity of transportation options for the people. Funding for the streetcar worries me too, especially since the Tempe budget is as it currently stands. However, I believe the thought is to get something permanent in the ground and then ask for federal funding to expand the route.

One misunderstanding perpetrated by conservatives is that this project will "takeaway" property taxes from the community. The fact of the matter is that because this property is owned by ASU it is not taxable to begin with. The government (and ASU is a government entity because it is owned by the State) does not typically tax itself; however, there will be taxes taken in by the state, county, and city in the form of sales taxes, hotel fees, etc. associated with businesses within the development. Furthermore, in lieu of the State collecting property taxes from developers (a scenario that would occur if the land was not ASU's), private developers will pay ASU fees for the right to develop on campus. These fees will be used to sustain campus facilities...especially athletic facilities which are state property. This would basically take the State off the hook for paying the cost of necessary upgrades for university buildings.

The Tempe Streetcar is not only a Tempe project but one that Valley Metro has a stake in...and yes, the federal government is likely to offer transportation dollars for the project (if Obama is reelected that is). I like that the streetcar will head south on Mill. For one, it will ensure that the street remains extremely pedestrian oriented. There is also dense development planned for Mill Ave with the most impressive projects planned north of University and in a circle around to Ash. Ensuring that adequate transportation is available will help to alleviate future needs and traffic congestion by offering an alternative to driving: alternative transportation (walking, biking, bus, shuttle, and Zipcar) is extremely popular in Tempe. A streetcar is much more reliable and headway more predictable than buses; see South Lake Union Trolley in Seattle. There was a cool PowerPoint and animation showing potential development along the streetcar corridor. I will try to find that.

EDIT: This video with Steve Banta (CEO, Valley Metro Rail) shows some of the potential for dense development.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eUrxvV2bfI

Here is a video (no audio) that was created to showcase the potential for a Rio Salado expansion of the streetcar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWKFy70mbhg&feature=relmfu

Found it:
http://www.valleymetro.org/images/uploads/lightrail_future_ext_uploads/Tempe-Streetcar-Computer-Simulation_METRO.pdf

phxSUNSfan
Oct 2, 2012, 6:49 AM
The Mill Ave District website shows that Block 12 is already under construction...

http://www.millavenue.com/business/under-construction

TempeSilverFox
Oct 2, 2012, 1:53 PM
The Mill Ave District website shows that Block 12 is already under construction...

There are signs up at the property location - check out the page before this last one- I posted some pictures of those signs - but no ground has been broken just yet...

Arquitect
Oct 2, 2012, 3:25 PM

For Block 12, the design is still being finalized, so it might be a few more months before construction actually begins. But, I think it will end up looking pretty cool. It is not as tall as the preliminary schematic designs, but it still should make a great impact on College Ave. Architekton is doing a pretty awesome job at shapping downtown Tempe. I really like their work, and think it is pretty awesome that they have a little more than half a dozen projects in the Tempe core.

Arquitect
Oct 2, 2012, 3:40 PM
I agree with Hoover. The project should not be in direct competition with downtown, it is offering other services that are not present on Mill. First and foremost, it is bringing more residents to the downtown area, which would greatly benefit Mill and all of Tempe. The proposal is not geared towards student housing, but actualy bringing more office space and non-university residents. This would greatly benefit the restaurants and bars in Mill, even if the project itself also has restaurants within it. Since ASU is a dry campus, the bar scene would probably grow at Mill.

Tempe is landlocked, so increasing density is the only way for it to grow; both in population and economicaly. I think that adding as much population and office space to our urban core is a great idea. Especially if it is being done in a well thoughout development with a long range plan. Lets remember that the plan is ment to go up in phases, and can be adjusted as needed.

I think it would be awesome if in 20 to 30 years from now we could see a dense (mid and high rise) core extending from Farmer to McClintock.

nickw252
Oct 3, 2012, 3:34 AM
With the recent addition of its 19th floor, the $42.6 million student housing project under way near Arizona State University in Tempe now towers over the adjacent Sun Devil Stadium.
The taxpayer-backed project, dubbed Hub on Campus, is now the second-tallest apartment structure in Tempe and the third student housing project serving ASU’s main campus that bears no direct affiliation with the university. It’s on the Metro light rail line at the southeast corner of College Avenue and Veterans Way.
The high-rise is expected to propel the city’s vision of urban living and economic growth for Tempe’s already bustling downtown ...

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/print-edition/2012/09/28/luxury-student-housing-project-nears.html

http://i47.tinypic.com/s5whn8.jpg

azsunsurfer
Oct 3, 2012, 3:34 PM
Looks like fencing is up around the Gracie's site. The interior of the store looks like it has been gutted and hopefully they will be going vertical before too long.

TempeSilverFox
Oct 3, 2012, 8:29 PM
Argo at Town Lake is under way! I drove by today and saw one of the old office buildings being demolished.
I'm excited that this project is moving forward. Great location- right near the Tempe Center for the Arts and the Lake!

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/100MEDIA_IMAG0094_zps7ed9d3fe.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/TempeSilverFox/100MEDIA_IMAG0093_zpsb393ecc2.jpg

Arquitect
Oct 3, 2012, 8:46 PM
Looks like fencing is up around the Gracie's site. The interior of the store looks like it has been gutted and hopefully they will be going vertical before too long.

Great to see that this project is going forward! I was worried the neighbors were going to succeed at blocking it. I really like how Apache is becoming denser and denser.

Also really excited to see that Argo will actually be having retail facing the TCA. I hope it brings a lot more life to the area.

Arquitect
Oct 3, 2012, 9:14 PM
I wonder if the Rio Salado EcoDistrict (th ASU Stadium District) is Tempe's best shot at getting an actual grocery store downtown. The guidelines talk a lot about creating a self sustaining environment, and getting people to walk and bike, so it would make sense to have a grocery store within the project.

ASUSunDevil
Oct 3, 2012, 10:30 PM
I wonder if the Rio Salado EcoDistrict (th ASU Stadium District) is Tempe's best shot at getting an actual grocery store downtown. The guidelines talk a lot about creating a self sustaining environment, and getting people to walk and bike, so it would make sense to have a grocery store within the project.

Just curious, where do you see this grocery store going within the district? I've always imagined the "downtown grocery" being built on the vacant lot at Ash and University. A grocery store at that location could cater to all of the professional's working downtown as well as the downtown and "West Tempe" residents.

As for the Streetcar, I see it heading down Rio Salado, connecting Ash to McClintock while passing all the great office buildings and residential housing that line the lake on the North side. I really hope Karsten is the last to go - I think the North side should be completely developed first. Having the Streetcar go to Southern seems silly and way too long term for me.

The one area I can't envision is what will be built on Rural between Rio Salado and University. Has anyone heard any possibilities of what will replace Packard Stadium, the tennis courts, frat houses etc.?

Arquitect
Oct 3, 2012, 11:40 PM
Just curious, where do you see this grocery store going within the district? I've always imagined the "downtown grocery" being built on the vacant lot at Ash and University. A grocery store at that location could cater to all of the professional's working downtown as well as the downtown and "West Tempe" residents.

As for the Streetcar, I see it heading down Rio Salado, connecting Ash to McClintock while passing all the great office buildings and residential housing that line the lake on the North side. I really hope Karsten is the last to go - I think the North side should be completely developed first. Having the Streetcar go to Southern seems silly and way too long term for me.

The one area I can't envision is what will be built on Rural between Rio Salado and University. Has anyone heard any possibilities of what will replace Packard Stadium, the tennis courts, frat houses etc.?

I would really like to see it along Rio Salado, that way it could also be easily accessible by the RS street car line (if it were to become a reality). I personaly would love something on Ash and University, since it is walking distance from me.

I think that area you mention will be the first to be developed. The Frats have already began to be demolished, so I could really see ASU pushing for the development to be phased from the south side first (closest to campus) to the lake edge last. For right now, there are no concrete plans about anything that will go in the ecoDistrict. And there won't really be anything until February, when ASU picks who will design and develop the area. Although, they have released some guidelines to what they would like to see, which basicaly seems to create a very dense, pedestrian and bike friendly community, which has a ton of mix-use, and has cutting-edge sustainability components. This Power Point actualy shows what ASU is looking for:

http://higherlogicdownload.s3.amazonaws.com/CORENETGLOBAL/e1d59f0c-71dc-4ace-aadd-4379f840b27e/UploadedImages/2012_01_19_PanettaCorenetStadium_EcoDistrictPresentation.pdf

MegaBass
Oct 4, 2012, 5:16 AM
http://bitapps.asu.edu/building/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/T_Main.jpg

McCord Hall was topped off yesterday. (source (http://bitapps.asu.edu/building/?p=758))

Jsmscaleros
Oct 4, 2012, 1:13 PM
Great to see a full shot of the Hub! Although, I die a little bit inside looking at the amenities package and realizing this is for undergrads and not mid-career professionals. No wonder nobody wants to leave college these days...

ASUSunDevil
Oct 4, 2012, 4:29 PM
I would really like to see it along Rio Salado, that way it could also be easily accessible by the RS street car line (if it were to become a reality). I personaly would love something on Ash and University, since it is walking distance from me.

I think that area you mention will be the first to be developed. The Frats have already began to be demolished, so I could really see ASU pushing for the development to be phased from the south side first (closest to campus) to the lake edge last. For right now, there are no concrete plans about anything that will go in the ecoDistrict. And there won't really be anything until February, when ASU picks who will design and develop the area. Although, they have released some guidelines to what they would like to see, which basicaly seems to create a very dense, pedestrian and bike friendly community, which has a ton of mix-use, and has cutting-edge sustainability components. This Power Point actualy shows what ASU is looking for:

http://higherlogicdownload.s3.amazonaws.com/CORENETGLOBAL/e1d59f0c-71dc-4ace-aadd-4379f840b27e/UploadedImages/2012_01_19_PanettaCorenetStadium_EcoDistrictPresentation.pdf

Thanks for the link, I am much more confident in the vision than I was before. This project is going to be huge!

MegaBass
Oct 4, 2012, 11:34 PM
New Block 12 project plan expands ASU Tempe campus northward (https://asunews.asu.edu/20121004_ASU_Block12)

The ASU Office of the University Architect recently released preliminary concepts for the 130,000-square-foot Block 12 project, which is slated for a LEED silver designation or above from the U.S. Green Building Council.

ASU’s new mixed-use Block 12 project expands the Tempe campus beyond University Drive and includes enhancements to the surrounding areas. The proposed five-story complex carefully was planned to maximize pedestrian activity on the ground level and to tie into the existing campus urban fabric.

The Block 12 project plan encompasses ground-level eateries; a 200-seat auditorium for “Experience ASU” tours that will double as a classroom when not in use for tours; several general classrooms that can support 40, 80 and 120 students; as well as a new home for the Del Webb School of Construction.

The development site is bound on the east at College Avenue, Seventh Street on the south, Forest Avenue on the west and Sixth Street on its northern edge. As campus expansion moves northward, ASU planning officials emphasized the importance of “weaving” the design into the core of the campus.

“I believe that Block 12 will engage students with its modern, urban-campus feel,” said Ed Soltero, assistant vice president and university architect at ASU. “The design’s aesthetic beauty enhances the community’s overall experience at a campus entrance, and green materials incorporated into the project further ASU’s commitment to sustainability.”

The Office of the University Architect incorporated sustainable concepts into all aspects of Block 12. Some “green” features under review for implementation include:

• a ventilated façade to reduce exterior surface temperatures

• opportunities for building integrated photovoltaic/solar-thermal technologies

• natural ventilation of atrium spaces

• solar hot water heating for domestic and/or building heat

• LED lighting in some or all areas

• water harvesting for storage and reuse

Additional energy saving initiatives under review for incorporation also exceed requirements beyond those required by the LEED rating system. For instance, small urban plazas on the structure’s perimeter create cooling microenvironments that help to reduce building temperatures and serve as small areas of respite for students and visitors.

Boosting the design’s visual appeal, the palette of materials being considered include a rich terra-cotta rain screen or brick masonry on the lower levels. Upper-level features could encompass an elegant composition of various shades of anodized aluminum panels. The metal skin on the upper levels could act as a solar shading device. A perforated aluminum “skirt” that extends beyond the building’s face at the ground level will provide shade to visitors entering the facility.

Block 12 currently is in the schematic design phase and is scheduled to break ground sometime in January 2013. June 2014 is the target completion date.

“As the complex design continues, the Office of the University Architect clearly sees this project as a significant opportunity to physically exemplify the unification of ASU’s educational mission with its unique campus setting,” Soltero said.

alexico
Oct 8, 2012, 4:31 AM
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/print-edition/2012/09/28/luxury-student-housing-project-nears.html

http://i47.tinypic.com/s5whn8.jpg

I guess they are taking the W6 model which is really working well as it is 95% full

Arquitect
Oct 8, 2012, 10:29 PM
New Block 12 project plan expands ASU Tempe campus northward (https://asunews.asu.edu/20121004_ASU_Block12)

Something that really hasn't been said about this project is that this is just the first phase of this "northward expansion". The plan is to develop the entire block of Forrest to College from 7th to 6th streets. Block 12 is the first of three buildings that are going to be built. Unfortunately, there is no date scheduled for the begining of construction of the next two phases, nor a clear plan of what programs will be housed in those buildings.

Land Arch Student
Oct 10, 2012, 6:56 AM
There's a crane at the site for the SRC expansion. Here are some pics:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8317/8073211872_a3bdac4639_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8036/8073212926_fb3ae3a43e_c.jpg

Construction seems to be chugging along, too. Renovations are scheduled to be completed by August 2013, and I didn't realize Wendell Burnett was the designer. That's kinda cool.
http://wendellburnettearchitects.com/projects/public/asu-src/

Also, interesting that the current proposals for Block 12 is only phase 1. I wonder what they have planned for additional phases.

Arquitect
Oct 10, 2012, 9:41 AM
There's a crane at the site for the SRC expansion. Here are some pics:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8317/8073211872_a3bdac4639_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8036/8073212926_fb3ae3a43e_c.jpg

Construction seems to be chugging along, too. Renovations are scheduled to be completed by August 2013, and I didn't realize Wendell Burnett was the designer. That's kinda cool.
http://wendellburnettearchitects.com/projects/public/asu-src/

Also, interesting that the current proposals for Block 12 is only phase 1. I wonder what they have planned for additional phases.

Awesome images!

Unfortunately, the SRC design was not done by Wendell. He did the schematic design, in a similar way the RSP did the schematics for Block 12. ASU often needs an actual design in order to ask for funding, or get buildings approved. The final SRC design is actually being done by Studio MA. They are also a really good architecture firm in town. Although, I must admit, I would have loved to see Wendell take over this project. He is a master when it comes to materials and making beautiful clean buildings. And unlike many architects, he can do something great with a really tight budget (The Palo Verde Library and Community Center in Maryvale are a great example). Hopefuly he can be involved in a major project for ASU in the future.

As for Block 12, who knows. It will be very interesting. As of now, Gensler and Architekton are only designing the first phase. It would be interesting to see who they pick for the others. What I do know, is that being a little more a part of urban Tempe than the campus, the first phase wants to have a pretty lively street presence. Not only with the proposed bookstore, but there will also be space for a restaurant. If all phases try to create this lively environment, it could greatly enhance downtown Tempe.

Jjs5056
Oct 12, 2012, 1:55 AM
Well, I suppose Tempe can't get it right 100% of the time. While Argo will help spread some urbanity west of Mill on Rio Salado, a new master planned development is being proposed for Priest and Rio Salado, filled with low-rise office buildings situated in a completely suburban manner- no connection to either the street or river bank.

I've seen the plan and IIRC, the development spans a large portion of the north side of Rio Salado from Hardy to Priest, and actually continues west of Priest. There were only 4-5 buildings in total, but perhaps there is a phased approach. The final product will be quite similar to the Cotton Center.

Anyway, kind of a shame even though it will be an improvement over the blight that is there now. That area may not be anything special, but a development like this seems incredibly shortsighted. With smaller scale projects like Argo extending westward, the potential for a streetcar route passing by in the future, and so on, it would've been nice for a long stretch of property like this to have been developed in a way that was more thoughtful, sustainable or urban- whether through mixed uses rather than all office, great density through greater height or less setback, interaction with the street to promote walking and pedestrian activity, etc.

Jjs5056
Oct 12, 2012, 2:08 AM
^ Actually, got the plan a bit backwards. Most of the development is west of Priest, with a few buildings on the east side.

The buildings are all 1-2 stories. =\

MegaBass
Oct 12, 2012, 4:59 AM
As for Block 12, who knows. It will be very interesting. As of now, Gensler and Architekton are only designing the first phase. It would be interesting to see who they pick for the others. What I do know, is that being a little more a part of urban Tempe than the campus, the first phase wants to have a pretty lively street presence. Not only with the proposed bookstore, but there will also be space for a restaurant. If all phases try to create this lively environment, it could greatly enhance downtown Tempe.

Still wondering what they'll do with Harrington Birchett House.

Arquitect
Oct 12, 2012, 4:59 AM
^ Actually, got the plan a bit backwards. Most of the development is west of Priest, with a few buildings on the east side.

The buildings are all 1-2 stories. =\

That is really a shame, and a big missed opportunity. Tempe doesn't have a lot of open land, and that area could have something a lot more prominent. Its easy access to the freeway and direct connection to the airport would make it ideal for a bigger business center. I know that heights of buildings really become an issue the closer you get to the airport, but a dense 3 to 4 story complex would definately still be ok.

Jjs5056
Oct 12, 2012, 5:58 AM
Yes, I certainly wasn't expected high rises in that area, but 4-6 stories with a mix of office, retail and hotel with the opportunity to engage the street and/or the river/paths/etc. would have been much more ideal. Just seems like a waste of the chance to build with the future in mind and put the infrastructure in place to support an extension of downtown Tempe (or, at least an extension of the urban ideals that exist downtown) beyond Mill.

exit2lef
Oct 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
Yes, I certainly wasn't expected high rises in that area, but 4-6 stories with a mix of office, retail and hotel with the opportunity to engage the street and/or the river/paths/etc. would have been much more ideal. Just seems like a waste of the chance to build with the future in mind and put the infrastructure in place to support an extension of downtown Tempe (or, at least an extension of the urban ideals that exist downtown) beyond Mill.

It sounds like this project on the north side of Rio Salado will mirror the current buildings on the south side. They're all low-rise, set-back office buildings in a suburban style.

Arquitect
Oct 12, 2012, 7:32 PM
It sounds like this project on the north side of Rio Salado will mirror the current buildings on the south side. They're all low-rise, set-back office buildings in a suburban style.

Yeah, I really don't see Tempe being very dense past the TCA. It is pretty evident that they are trying to densify along the Lake, downtown, and the Apache corridor. It is not a necesaraly terrible move for this development to take place, but I would love to actualy see more non-ASU related development around downtown. I think that for Tempe to be truly urban and succesful, they have to bring in more diversity to their downtown, and reduce their dependance on ASU. It is an amzing asset, and it makes Tempe what it is, but there could also be other players involved.

Arquitect
Oct 12, 2012, 7:33 PM
Still wondering what they'll do with Harrington Birchett House.

I hope they keep it and incorporate it into what the are doing.

MegaBass
Oct 13, 2012, 2:16 AM
I hope they keep it and incorporate it into what the are doing.

Yeah speaking of that parcel glad they finally got the Wednesday Food Truck Block Party going on. Looked like a strong showing for the first go around. Not liking the locations picked for Aramark's Fàn Boy (http://www.facebook.com/FanBoyTruckASU?fref=ts) Truck. The location by Best Hall and Irish Hall nearly makes it impossible for the Polytechnic shuttle to have clearance.

ji50
Oct 20, 2012, 4:18 AM
http://www.asu.edu/purchasing/bids/pdfs/091301.pdf

Hello all,
Not sure if this has been posted already - but it looks like ASU is planning to create an "Athletic district" around the stadium.

MegaBass
Oct 21, 2012, 3:58 AM
USG approves bill to begin plans for allocating money to potential Tempe pavilion (http://www.statepress.com/2012/10/09/usg-approves-bill-to-begin-plans-for-allocating-money-to-potential-tempe-pavilion/)

The Tempe campus Undergraduate Student Government endorsed building a multi-use indoor pavilion on the Tempe campus at its biweekly meeting Tuesday night.

Senate Bill 33 addressed possible uses for the $9 million left over after ASU invested in building the recreation complexes on the Downtown, Polytechnic and West campuses.

The ASU Facilities Board originally planned to use the money for a field on the Tempe campus.

USG President Mark Naufel said most students would rather see the extra money go toward a facility that benefits students from all campuses.

He said the bill’s passage will persuade the Facilities Board to reallocate the money toward the pavilion.

Representatives of the Downtown, Polytechnic and West campuses are in support of establishing a pavilion but disagree with the distribution of the funds, according to Rhian Stotts, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Association. She has worked with the organization since 2009, when conversations about the Facilities Fee began, and voted on the fee in 2010.

Stotts said the facilities board recognized the idea of a pavilion as one of the original priorities.

The pavilion will be used for events and performances that require an indoor venue, Naufel said.

Members of the Programming and Activities Board discussed upcoming Homecoming events at each campus. There will also be Panhellenic events each day to participate at Devils on Mill Avenue.

USG approved an appointment of Peter Mardian to the ASU Supreme Court in Senate Bill 32.

Indoor Pavilion? When we have Neeb Hall, Murdock Hall, Schwada Building, Old Main, Coor Hall, PE West and East, Discovery Hall, second floor of the MU and new bookstore on Block 12. Yeah we totally lack places to host indoor events...

PHX31
Oct 21, 2012, 6:40 AM
What is going in on the parking lot next to W6? I saw a zoning sign for a 6 story building.

Jjs5056
Oct 21, 2012, 10:03 PM
What is going in on the parking lot next to W6? I saw a zoning sign for a 6 story building.

That is terrific news! I know they were marketing the residential zoning of the lot, so hopefully it will be a mixed use structure with retail on the ground floor and apartments or condos up top. Condos would be preferable; any additional bodies downtown is great, but we already lost Centerpoint to rentals, and I think downtown Tempe will be much more successful longterm once they are able to add more young professionals or urban-oriented boomers to the mix. It's clear that rentals will always bring ASU students in, which is certainly fine, but they have much less disposable income to pour into the local economy and there is always the risk of them heading back home during summer.

Seeing as the Ash and University lot seems to be a lost cause, this seems to be the ideal location for the elusive grocery store - smack in the center of West Sixth, Hayden Square, Orchid Lofts and the potential apartments on top, and in walking distance of Hayden Ferry Lakeside, all of the residential down Rio Salado and the neighborhoods to the west.

I know I've posted this before, but these would be ideal:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joebehr/6924482171/
http://www.city-data.com/businesses/405059353-safeway-seattle-wa.html

Arquitect
Oct 22, 2012, 10:41 PM

I researched a the proposal a bit, and I am a bit disappointed. The project proposed for the area will be called Hanover on Mill Ave, and it is being developed by the hanover company (hanoverco.com). The building will not be mixed-use. So, not only will it not have a grocery store (the current site for the project, hanoverco.com/capital-markets/hanover-mill-avenue, actualy show the whole foods on university and ash as a nearby amenity), but it will not add any retail or office space whatsoever. I am also concerned that they are asking to increase their building lot coverege, but also asking to reduce the minimum landscape coverege. This is not so much a big deal, but the building will take up all of the parking lot north of W6 and will only be a 6 stories tall. Their proposed parking is supposed to be 9 stories, with two of them being underground. This leads me to believe that the parking structure will be pretty prominent. I have a feeling that it will end up being like some of the developments north of Tempe Town Lake east of Rural.

I really want to see development in the area. Especialy if it means getting rid of some of those massive parking lots surrounding downtown. But I feel like this project is not right for that space. First, the lack of mix-use is concerning. It would be an ideal place to have retail on 5th street, connecting to the future development along Ash and Farmer once the street car is built. Second, the hight seems too conservative. 6 stories is great, but it is right next to the tallest buildings in the city. I'm not saying we need another 30+ story tower there, but something taller (maybe 15 to 20 floors)would make Tempe's skyline a lot more attractive, and not just like like scattered towers. I feel a project similar to The Hub on College would be ideal for this site.

Jjs5056
Oct 23, 2012, 1:17 AM
Thanks for doing some digging. On one hand, their developments look urban and quite beautiful in their portfolio. On the other hand, they seem to have a templated approach to their developments, which is going to hurt downtown Tempe in this case.

The parking is concerning-this is the second apartment proposal we have heard of where the garage will be taller than the apartments. On that note, I definitely agree that added height would have been ideal, as this lot is one of the few left with the potential to give the city a true skyline. Even The Hub is a bit too far north to complement West Sixth. 14-story structures here and on the Ash/Uni lot would have gone a long way toward making the West Sixth towers seem less out of place. At least a taller portion would have helped, even if the majority was 6 stories.

I was also hoping to see a design that complemented the courtyard out front of West Sixth,which was designed with the (never built) 3rd and 4th towers in mind, I'm sure. A curved entrance into the new structure would have been nice, with retail space on 5th (the north-south street is pretty much a waste, so might as well make that hold garage entrances, etc.).

Jjs5056
Oct 23, 2012, 1:23 AM
In the end, we will get a nice looking, urban-designed residential midrise, which will continue bringing mire permanent residents to the core and hopefully draw some attention to the remaining prime lots- Mill and 7th, Ash and University, Farmers Arts District, etc. Hopefully, those will bring density,height and mixed use.

It's just a shame that we are blowing the chance to:
1) spread downtown beyond Mill through additional retail
2) connect Mill with the future sreet car line on Ash; also, a missed chance to prepare Ash for much needed investment once that comes
3) build synergies with West Sixth by mirroring its plaza and complementing its height

Arquitect
Oct 23, 2012, 7:05 AM
Yeah, I really wish there was a way for W6 not to look so out of place. But with this lot being developed the way it is planned, it only leaves very few other options for tall development around tit. Farmer, will probably be more mid-rise development. It will be mixed use, but it is planned as a stepped aproach from a tall downtown (wether it ever happens or not) and the neighborhood scale. So I expect that all the developments that end up occupying the empty lots on Farmer will be 4 to 8 stories tall (similar to the Encore). This leaves only Ash and University, the north side of 5th and Ash, and Mill and 7th as potential lots for tall development.

I think the more cohesive skyline taking place east of Mill. The reason I say this is because we already have the Hub and the Hotel being built. At the same time, the schematic design for Block 12 included a 12 storie building (which could be part of the other two phases). And I have a hope that the lot west of Forrest on University will eventually be developed by taller buildings. That in addition to whatever ASU develops along the Rio Salado ecoDistrict (Stadium district) gives this area very interesting. The buildings probably won't have the height of W6, but they probably will not look as out of place as the two towers currently do.

Jjs5056
Oct 24, 2012, 6:42 AM
I wonder if anything might happen with the Monti's site/100 Mill Ave? I love me some skyscrapers, but do think the original proposals were way out of scale. I remember Monti saying that developing the parking lots was the only way he could afford to keep going, so I'd assume we will something there at some point. Something a bit taler than the US Airways building would make a nice gateway to downtown and perhaps aesthetically connect W6 with the lakeside developments.

It's fun to see The Hub and Marriott under development - two sites that had proposed 'scrapers during the boom. Will be interesting to see if others are resurrected in some capacity.

Arquitect
Oct 24, 2012, 8:43 PM
I wonder if anything might happen with the Monti's site/100 Mill Ave? I love me some skyscrapers, but do think the original proposals were way out of scale. I remember Monti saying that developing the parking lots was the only way he could afford to keep going, so I'd assume we will something there at some point. Something a bit taler than the US Airways building would make a nice gateway to downtown and perhaps aesthetically connect W6 with the lakeside developments.

It's fun to see The Hub and Marriott under development - two sites that had proposed 'scrapers during the boom. Will be interesting to see if others are resurrected in some capacity.

There isn't anything out there yet about that site. Although, I am glad that the previous proposal didn't come to fruition. It did salvage part of Monti's, but only the original building, not any of the historical additions. I would like to see the parking lot developed though. Now that the Mill grounds have been restored, the connection between Mill and the lake has a lot of potential.

nickkoto
Oct 25, 2012, 12:04 AM
I remember Monti saying that developing the parking lots was the only way he could afford to keep going

I was thinking that if he needed some more revenue, he could always try to address the restaurant's decline in food and service quality over the last 10 years.

Arquitect
Oct 25, 2012, 8:41 PM
I was thinking that if he needed some more revenue, he could always try to address the restaurant's decline in food and service quality over the last 10 years.

Haha. Exactly what I was thinking. Although, I think that was just a smoke screen to get the city to expedite the permit for the towers. If Monti's was really in that bad of shape, they wouldn't have spent money fixing up their patio area.

MegaBass
Oct 27, 2012, 1:24 PM
Is there a site for The District (across the street from The Vue on Apache)?

Jjs5056
Oct 28, 2012, 1:35 AM
http://www.thedistrictonapache.com/default.aspx

Nice to see Apace growing denser and denser, from Mill down toward the 101. Excited to see Gracie's upon completion. Love the way Grigio looks near that Metro stop, so it will be fun to see more development near by.

Arquitect
Oct 28, 2012, 4:34 AM
http://www.thedistrictonapache.com/default.aspx

Nice to see Apace growing denser and denser, from Mill down toward the 101. Excited to see Gracie's upon completion. Love the way Grigio looks near that Metro stop, so it will be fun to see more development near by.

The Grigio is pretty cool. But I feel bad for the person with the corner apartment. They have those massive windows that have great view of the gas station. It would be nice if something nicer could go up on that corner.

I remember one of my college professors once told me that Apache was going to be the new Mill Ave. This was a couple years before the light rail was being built and Tempe Marketplace still hadn't been built either. Apache has always been dense, lined by many apartment buildings, but mostly the old-school gate-community approach to rentals. So it seemed kinda crazy at the time to think that Apache would not only become urban, but also become a destination. I am really glad to see that she was right. And the best part of it is that with projects like the one for Gracie's, it will be a diverse community, not just student apartments.

DevilsRider
Oct 29, 2012, 2:58 PM
Saw a new Red Zoning sign up at the Hayden Harbor site yesterday (430 N Scottsdale Rd in Tempe), SW corner of Scottsdale Rd and the 202. Took a picture with my phone but it's not letting me upload right now, so I'll just retype the important stuff below.

It says "The City Council will provide a statement of findings for the previously approved request for" 6 mixed use towers (220 to 278 feet) for hospitatlity, residential, restaurant, and retail, 1 12-story office buildingbuilt on top of a 6 level garage, 1 1-story office building, and 3 surface parking lots, all over 13.6 net acres. Gross floor building area of 2,059,580 sq feet.

Case number PL070506, Rob Lane of Gammage & Burnham P.L.C. is the applicant. It was posted on 10/25/12 and the meeting's at City Council Chambers on 11/15/12 at 7:30pm.

Has anyone heard anything about this development recently, or have any idea what this posting means in City Council legalese?

dtnphx
Oct 29, 2012, 5:10 PM
Found it straight away. Looks nice.

http://www.wrtdesign.com/projects/detail/Hayden-Harbor-Mixed-Use-Development/166

Arquitect
Oct 29, 2012, 6:42 PM

http://www.wrtdesign.com/projects/detail/Hayden-Harbor-Mixed-Use-Development/166

That is a really great looking design. Is this something new or something that was designed before the economy crashed and is now being picked back up? Either way, it would be an amazing addition to the lakefront.

MegaBass
Oct 30, 2012, 12:46 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A6adbslCYAAR-Iw.jpg

@UrbanRealty (https://twitter.com/UrbanRealty/status/263070727392092160): Goodbye ugly 6th Street & Mill vendor stand!

nickkoto
Oct 30, 2012, 1:21 AM
Cutie's seemed like it was only ever open when Mill was closed off for arts festivals, when it had lots of other street vendors to compete with.

Leo the Dog
Oct 30, 2012, 3:36 PM

Wow! Now this is something different for Tempe. I like it so far.

azsunsurfer
Oct 30, 2012, 6:48 PM
Looks like that vacant parcel next to the VUE will finally be developed. I got this from the Development Review Comission's next agenda.

"Request for an Amended Planned Area Development Overlay and Development Plan Review consisting of a proposed mixed-use development including 327 dwelling units all within a (14) fourteen-story building for THE GROVE AT 1000 EAST APACHE (PL120130), located at 1000 East Apache Boulevard. The applicant is Snell & Wilmer, LLP."

TempeSilverFox
Oct 30, 2012, 7:52 PM
That is a really great looking design. Is this something new or something that was designed before the economy crashed and is now being picked back up? Either way, it would be an amazing addition to the lakefront.

This was designed before the economy crashed. I remember seeing this a couple of years ago. I love the idea of a small pier extending into the lake too. A very cool and modern design.

MegaBass
Oct 30, 2012, 8:14 PM
Looks like that vacant parcel next to the VUE will finally be developed. I got this from the Development Review Comission's next agenda.

"Request for an Amended Planned Area Development Overlay and Development Plan Review consisting of a proposed mixed-use development including 327 dwelling units all within a (14) fourteen-story building for THE GROVE AT 1000 EAST APACHE (PL120130), located at 1000 East Apache Boulevard. The applicant is Snell & Wilmer, LLP."

Noticed the Lemon Street parcel north of the Vue was on DPR agenda recently. Any word on the old M7 parcel?

Arquitect
Oct 30, 2012, 8:57 PM

14 story mix-use development, sounds pretty great. With the District coming up as well, that area is gaining some really great density. I just hope that it is not just student appartments though. It would be great to see some of these apartment buildings be more diverse. I know that ASU is huge, and it continues growing, but at some point, the market might end up being over-saturated of student-only apartments.