PDA

View Full Version : Online mag's "Ten Worst American Cities To Live In" List

Pages : [1] 2

CiNYC
Dec 10, 2003, 4:50 AM
This comes from a site that has a few interesting looking articles, but i haven't checked it out for long enough to know what its whole point is. i disagree with 99% of this nonsense, but there are a couple valid points. let's see what you guys think...

http://www.bullymag.com/11.18.03/cities-111803.asp

Bully's "Ten Worst American Cities To Live In" List
By Ken Wohlrob

10. Seattle
Seattle would seem to have everything going for it. Great music, good restaurants, a beautiful landscape, a range of ethnic cultures, and centralized collection of hi-tech businesses that attract brainy folks from places like San Francisco (ever since that city hit the economic slide). So what makes Seattle one of the ten worst cities to live in? Well it's those same techies who fled San Francisco to seek Seattle's venture-capital rich environment, usually after watching the movie Singles, who have turned this once humble and artistic community into a plague of cellphone sporting, PDA carrying idiots who fly around the streets in their Volkswagens while listening to the Flaming Lips. You know that annoying jackass who walks around in the cellphone commercials saying, "Can you hear me now?" He's the official mascot for Seattle. About the only consolation to all this is that Seattle still has one of the highest suicide rates in the nation.

9. Toledo
The first of the Ohio Triplets on our list, Toledo would be the perfect place to re-make The Omega Man. This mostly due to the fact that this Midwestern hole is so bleak, so gray, so devoid of life, that except for rush hour, you wouldn't know that anyone actually lived in Toledo. Forget civic pride, everyone in Toledo knows the city is a hellhole and just stays home to watch TV. Last time we visited, the only after hours joint was located in a hotel for men. Toledo's official city slogan should be "Toledo…We're…well…ah screw it."

8. Los Angeles
If you look at some of the most talented people to ever walk the planet that ended up destroying themselves - Hemingway, Bruce, Belushi, Morrison, Fitzgerald, Faulkner, Welles, and yes even Osbourne - all have one thing in common. LA.

7. Salt Lake City
This one should be obvious to any intelligent human: Mormons and lots of them. Need we say more?

6. Cincinnati
If you took Chicago, sucked out every last ounce of culture including its thriving music scenes and quality restaurants and bars, leaving a graying hulk of skyscrapers and a complete lack of night life, then you would have Cincinnati. To some Cincinnati is the greatest city in the U.S. - usually these folks are old, white, Christian fundamentalists, confined to wheelchairs, and are very scared of "coloreds." If you are not this type of person and you live in Cincinnati and like it, you have mental problems and should seek professional help.

5. St. Louis
The "Gateway to the West" has three strikes against it. First is that St. Louis has the highest crime rate of any U.S. city. Second, the main architectural landmark looks like an unfinished McDonald's logo. Third, Bob Costas lives there.

4. Atlanta
Any place nicknamed "Hotlanta" has to suck big time. Here's the catch: Did you ever meet someone who went to New York City and said, "I didn't like it, it was too dirty and oh my God there were all these weirdoes." Usually in the next sentence they'll say, "But I really like Hotlanta, it's so cool down there." That's because Atlanta is the city of choice for suburbanites who don't really like cities. Hence Atlanta has turned into nothing more than an over-sprawled suburb, just with more bad bars.

3. Miami
What can we say about Miami except that it brings out the worst cheesy tendencies in people of all races, creeds, and colors. If you want to see blacks, whites, and latinos at their intellectual lowest, than Miami is just for you. Gaudy neon, bad dance clubs, dopey fashionistas, y'all come back now ya hear!

2. Phoenix
Only an idiot would want to spend most of the year trapped in air conditioning. Such an idiot usually moves to Phoenix. Then this dope will say, "Yeah but it's a dry heat." To make matters worse there is absolutely nothing to do in Phoenix besides run from your car's air conditioning to your house's air conditioning. Or you can play golf. Otherwise, they should tear the whole metropolis down and let it just rot back into the desert.

1. Cleveland
The obvious choice for worst city to live in is Cleveland. Not so much because of the lack of culture. Nor is it the lack of a thriving night life. And it is not the constant economic pall that looms over the city. What really makes Cleveland the worst city in all of America is the fact that it shares many of these qualities with other cities - such as its Ohio Twin, Toledo - and refuses to acknowledge it. As a recent article in the Washington Post pointed out, Cleveland peaked in the 1930s and has been on the downslide ever since. To make matters worse, the Plain Dealer - the local city newspaper - found that the higher a young person's education degree, the more likely said person was to move out of Cleveland. In fact it was one of the only three major metropolitan areas in the 1990s to experience such a mass exodus of intelligence. In essence, smart people leave Cleveland while the dumb stay to crank out children and watch the Indians games. Now if you said this to the average Clevelandite, they would call you an a-hole, pound their fist on the table, and insist that Cleveland has just as much to offer as New York City or Chicago. It's almost as if the citizens have become desensitized to the obvious. At least the Toledoans have a clue, but Clevelandites like their city just the way it is and they're damn proud of it…with the closed steel mills, and bad wing joints, and those horrible blues bands that all play a terrible rendition of "Mustang Sally."

Suburban Lou
Dec 10, 2003, 4:59 AM
St. Louis is not the most dangerous city any more and second did the peole from this mag go to the Central west end, Lafayette square, Washington ave in downtown to name a few, they probley never visted any of these cities.

Lexy
Dec 10, 2003, 5:02 AM
What a fvcked up list!!! I disagree with almost every one of their rankings. :(

Wasatch_One
Dec 10, 2003, 5:06 AM
It would be interesting to see where this magazine is based...

These guys are definitely well educated in what makes a city great also :no: ... oh wait, no.... no theyre not. Complete blanket statement type generalizations... its worthless. I think all of these cities are just fine...

dimondpark
Dec 10, 2003, 5:06 AM
This one should be obvious to any intelligent human: Mormons and lots of them. Need we say more?

this mormon thinks that you can go fuck yourself:rolleyes:

Wasatch_One
Dec 10, 2003, 5:23 AM
this mormon thinks that you can go fuck yourself:rolleyes:

haha..... heres another mormon, that wont quite go that far... but i agree with you 100% :haha:

the pope
Dec 10, 2003, 5:27 AM
i totally expected to see detroit on there..........very dissapointed......

otherwise i'm not going to bother arguing with the rankings by some random magazine, not worth my time

Urbanguy
Dec 10, 2003, 5:29 AM
Yikes that was horrible, it sounds like this person needs to get laid really really bad..... :hell:

Lexy
Dec 10, 2003, 5:30 AM
Yikes that was horrible, it sounds like this person needs to get laid really really bad..... :hell:

That's exactly what I was thinking. LOL!!!:hug:

Chicago103
Dec 10, 2003, 5:35 AM
The justification for LA's ranking has to be about as lame as you can get. I mean judging a place based on the fact that alot of celebrities who messed up their lives lived in LA, like the city caused the people to be messed up:rolleyes: . Notice how they couldnt think of anything else to say about LA. Salt Lake City is also very short and lame. St. Louis, calling the Arch a mcdonalds logo :rolleyes: . Basically all of these explanations are lame and full of generalizations and stereotypes.

LMich
Dec 10, 2003, 5:47 AM
I REALLY wouldn't take this list seriously. The person writing it must have had a VERY bad day, or must have been EXTREMELY constipated and wanted to take it out on the world.

The Mormon comment was WAY out of line, also. And, heck, I'm not even Mormon.

BTW, I was expecting to see Detroit here, too. I feel that it was cheated off of this list, knowing that it still has a long way to go.

Chi-town
Dec 10, 2003, 5:53 AM
I actually thought this list was really funny.

Seattle's is stupid, because there's nothing wrong with techie-yuppies ;). LA's is stupid for the reason Chicago103 mentioned (there are plenty of reasons to bash LA, why resort to something so dumb?). The one for St. Louis is also dumb.

The others... please don't kill me... may hold a kernel of truth. Stereotypes, of course, but stereotypes are generalizations, and generalizations are based on observation.

It's hard to argue with what they said about Phoenix or Atlanta.

James Bond Agent 007
Dec 10, 2003, 5:56 AM
OH YEAH BABY . . . SEATTLE SUCKS!!!! :banana:

James Bond Agent 007
Dec 10, 2003, 5:59 AM
LOL this was funny:

"To make matters worse there is absolutely nothing to do in Phoenix besides run from your car's air conditioning to your house's air conditioning."

UglymanCometh
Dec 10, 2003, 6:05 AM
Yeah, I expected to see Detroit on the list after I saw that Seattle had made it.... but, then I saw Toledo and assumed that this was either a.) a joke column or b.) some dude who hasn't gotten laid and/or smoked a joint a a WHILE.

Both my guesses were right, BTW. Some of those were funny.

bobdreamz
Dec 10, 2003, 6:16 AM
"3. Miami
What can we say about Miami except that it brings out the worst cheesy tendencies in people of all races, creeds, and colors. If you want to see blacks, whites, and latinos at their intellectual lowest, than Miami is just for you. Gaudy neon, bad dance clubs, dopey fashionistas, y'all come back now ya hear!"

Ouch!
LOL....never heard anybody say y'all here...EVER....and um didn't they really just describe Las Vegas?

Paul in S.A TX
Dec 10, 2003, 6:19 AM
yikes!

terryaki
Dec 10, 2003, 6:21 AM
That comment with Salt Lake is just plain offensive. It's no different than if you were to say "Yeah, Atlanta sucks cause it's full of black people." Insensitive s.o.b.

GRID
Dec 10, 2003, 6:23 AM
I think that list is kind of funny and well-written with hidden truths in each city entry. After all, I have to say that Miami really does seem that way. I've already made plans to move away after college...I love the beach and palms...but there is just so much dumb nonsense going on down here all the time. I just can't completely relate...and never will (no offense to anybody). I will need a more serious city with better salaries eventually. But, for now it is fun.

I also know enough of the other cities to see where they are coming from. However, none of them sum up the entire town.

Car Free
Dec 10, 2003, 6:24 AM
The "Seattle-is-an-artists'-haven-overrun-by-cellphone-toting-yuppies" observation was actually kinda funny and original -- 5 years ago.

Chi-town
Dec 10, 2003, 6:25 AM
"3. Miami
What can we say about Miami except that it brings out the worst cheesy tendencies in people of all races, creeds, and colors. If you want to see blacks, whites, and latinos at their intellectual lowest, than Miami is just for you. Gaudy neon, bad dance clubs, dopey fashionistas, y'all come back now ya hear!"

Ouch!
LOL....never heard anybody say y'all here...EVER....and um didn't they really just describe Las Vegas?
Besides the humidity, is there any difference?

Kidding, of course.

Chi-town
Dec 10, 2003, 6:27 AM
That comment with Salt Lake is just plain offensive. It's no different than if you were to say "Yeah, Atlanta sucks cause it's full of black people." Insensitive s.o.b.
This is ironic, considering the founder of the Mormon faith preached that black people were that color because they were filled with sin (or some such garbage).

But let's not turn this thread into a holy war...

terryaki
Dec 10, 2003, 6:34 AM
over 150 years ago, along with the entire south

and yes, let's not turn this into a holy war (cause I'm not even LDS, and it's just an analogy)

shoowaa1
Dec 10, 2003, 6:38 AM
What a funny list!:hilarious Looks like someone did about 4 minutes worth of research on these cities...

Albert (Shoowaa)

jordanb
Dec 10, 2003, 6:57 AM
Yeah, people shouldn't be quite so brittle, the author was obviously trying to be funny. Some were lame for reasons mentioned above, but I love the oneas about Atlanta and Pheonix. ;)

Kilgore Trout
Dec 10, 2003, 6:57 AM
repeat after me:

tongue-in-cheek.

the only people who need to get laid around here are the ones who take a list like this seriously.

jordanb
Dec 10, 2003, 7:00 AM
repeat after me:
the only people who need to get laid around here are the ones who take a list like this seriously.

I beg to differ. :uhh:

By the way, the whois for bullymag.com says they're based in Brooklyn.

Wasatch_One
Dec 10, 2003, 7:02 AM
This is ironic, considering the founder of the Mormon faith preached that black people were that color because they were filled with sin (or some such garbage).

... agreed about the "lets not turn this into a holy war"

however...

It looks like you put about as much research into that post, as the writer of this article put into researching these cities...;)

Chi-town
Dec 10, 2003, 7:09 AM
So that's not true?

I'm sure that's not what Mormons believe now, but didn't the guy who founded the Morman church preach that originally?

Wasatch_One
Dec 10, 2003, 7:38 AM
So that's not true?

I'm sure that's not what Mormons believe now, but didn't the guy who founded the Morman church preach that originally?

Ok, look, im not turning this thread into a religious debate, but I will just answer this clearly and quickly.... but this is it...

if you want to know more, there is actually a conveniently placed thread called "honest questions about Mormonism" in the interior west forum that someone created... im sure you can have your questions answered there...

Ok, no leader of the church ever said anything about african-americans having dark skin because the were "filled with sin" as you put it...

however, anyone who has opened a Bible and read the first few chapters in Genesis knows that Cain had a "mark" placed on him after he killed his brother Abel

Genesis 4: 8-15

8 And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
9 And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?
10 And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.
11 And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;
12 When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.
13 And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.
14 Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.
15 And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.

maybe thats what your talking about... cause I dont know where you got your information..... that by the way was written by the hand of Moses... ;)

TexasBoi
Dec 10, 2003, 7:40 AM
Third, Bob Costas lives there

horrible list but this part was pretty funny:haha:

hudkina
Dec 10, 2003, 8:07 AM
One thing I've noticed when posting here is that alot of you take some things way too seriously. Lighten up. This was just a random list created as a joke.

Besides, any "worst american cities to live in" list that doesn't include Detroit in the top 3 is a joke.

Wasatch_One
Dec 10, 2003, 8:11 AM
haha... wow! where is Detroits love? I love ya d-town! :hug: :kiss: :yes:

jmonkey
Dec 10, 2003, 8:32 AM
I think the author of this list was very kind to Phoenix. I've probably said worse about that hell-hole in my sleep.

Shawn
Dec 10, 2003, 9:03 AM
Come on, this list is funny as hell! Like someone mentioned, stereotypes all have some grain of truth to them. The LA one was lame, but all the others were pretty damn funny. The guy who wrote this obviously didnt take it very seriously, and neither should anyone else - it wasnt intended to be.

Urbanguy
Dec 10, 2003, 9:06 AM
More like "tongue-in-arse" haha

James Bond Agent 007, i think that Phoenix quote is pretty funny too :D

Michi
Dec 10, 2003, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I expected to see Detroit on the list after I saw that Seattle had made it.... but, then I saw Toledo and assumed that this was either a.) a joke column or b.) some dude who hasn't gotten laid and/or smoked a joint a a WHILE. I second that comment.

This guy represents a schitty town that is full of journalists who have nothing better to do than write personal gripes about the world and then call it creativity. I feel bad for this city!

nostyle
Dec 10, 2003, 1:07 PM
Wow.

Yeah, I wouldn't take this list very personally, guys. Everything said about these 10 cities could've been said about any of our cities. Atlanta easily could've been Charlotte. Cleveland easily could've been Detroit or Buffalo, and so on.

SoulBrotha
Dec 10, 2003, 1:30 PM
man he totally bashed Cinncinati..."coloreds" lol!!

JivecitySTL
Dec 10, 2003, 1:36 PM
LOL--- I am relieved that St. Louis had a comparatively less scathing description than the other cities. High crime and a McDonald's arch-- yeah we haven't heard that before. B O R I N G.

CalOreg
Dec 10, 2003, 3:03 PM
:zzz:

Dampyre
Dec 10, 2003, 3:54 PM
That's some funny shit. I actually agree with most of their choices.

nostyle
Dec 10, 2003, 4:05 PM
Then I guess you'd never move to Ohio, huh.

sleepy
Dec 10, 2003, 4:07 PM

I knew when I read it that one of the fears of a Miamian is to be mistaken for a Southerner in any way, shape, or form.

nostyle
Dec 10, 2003, 4:50 PM
I'm going to dare to do it. Here is my top-10 worst american cities that I would never want to live in (again, tongue-in-cheak, people...):

10) Dallas - How 'bout them unemployment rates?!
9) New Orleans - I hate the French.
8) Honolulu - I'm fair skinned. It wouldn't work out for me.
7) Charlotte - waaaaay too urban for me.
6) Boston - I'd kill myself if I had to hear that accent 24/7.
5) Chicago - Why would I want to live in a suburb of Milwaukee?
4) Miami - I can't speak Spanish, and I hate the Dolphins.
3) Buffalo - Too close to Canada.
2) Detroit - See Buffalo.
1) Phoenix - I like my heat moist.

nostyle
Dec 10, 2003, 4:52 PM
lol, you can't put an 8 next to a ), or else it turns into a smiley face with sunglasses...how appropriate, since my #8 was Honolulu.

:)

EastSideHBG
Dec 10, 2003, 4:56 PM
4. Atlanta
Any place nicknamed "Hotlanta" has to suck big time. Here's the catch: Did you ever meet someone who went to New York City and said, "I didn't like it, it was too dirty and oh my God there were all these weirdoes." Usually in the next sentence they'll say, "But I really like Hotlanta, it's so cool down there." That's because Atlanta is the city of choice for suburbanites who don't really like cities. Hence Atlanta has turned into nothing more than an over-sprawled suburb, just with more bad bars.
:hilarious

2. Phoenix
Only an idiot would want to spend most of the year trapped in air conditioning. Such an idiot usually moves to Phoenix. Then this dope will say, "Yeah but it's a dry heat." To make matters worse there is absolutely nothing to do in Phoenix besides run from your car's air conditioning to your house's air conditioning. Or you can play golf. Otherwise, they should tear the whole metropolis down and let it just rot back into the desert.

Lucky 24
Dec 10, 2003, 5:04 PM
That's some funny shit. I actually agree with most of their choices.

:haha: figures

Lakelander
Dec 10, 2003, 5:28 PM
man that list was funny and so was Nostyle's. BTW, Wasatch_One, I don't know if you are implying this, but the mark of Cain has nothing to do with the black man.

STLgasm
Dec 10, 2003, 5:45 PM
Too bad they didn't do their homework. They rip on St. Louis because Bob Costas lives here. Well, being based in Brooklyn they should know that Bob Costas is a New York kid and commutes regularly between his homes in St. Louis and NEW YORK!

Baddabing, baby!

MayDay
Dec 10, 2003, 6:50 PM
I must be pretty dumb - I still can't figure out how to crank out kids. :???:

I guess I'll just keep trying! :haha: :boogy:

ctwickman
Dec 10, 2003, 7:07 PM
I like this list! I thought it was pretty funny and there is definetly a kernel of truth to everything stated here, though Nostyle is right you could replace a few of these cities with other similar ones.

alex1
Dec 10, 2003, 7:32 PM
the list was funny.

dimondpark
Dec 10, 2003, 7:34 PM
And that kernel of truth would be that people in Salt Lake City are bad because of the church they belong to?

Mormons were driven out of their homes several times and were pushed out west by unrelenting mobs who killed our men and raped our women. Mormons did nothing but improve the communities they lived in.....they did nothing but excercize their religious freedom and constantly their homes were burned.

So they trekked across the plains and the rocky mountains and built a forested city out of a desert valley-and wanted nothing but to left in peace to practice their religion.

Was that too much to ask?

The Mormon Church has been persecuted in the US like no other denomination in our national history.

And it shocks me because Mormons are nice in general-very nice.

Except the ones from Oakland-cause we dont take that shit.

Joke or not, I wonder if we'd be laughing if they had singled out a city that had a jewish majority?

we'd probably be up in arms.

ColDayMan
Dec 10, 2003, 8:30 PM
Well...this list is wonderful and thoughtful.

Right.

ColDayMan
Dec 10, 2003, 8:33 PM
:D

Chi-town
Dec 10, 2003, 8:56 PM
5) Chicago - Why would I want to live in a suburb of Milwaukee?

You can be more creative than that...

nostyle
Dec 10, 2003, 9:24 PM
You can be more creative than that...

Sure...

5) Chicago - would you want to William Ligue to be your neighbor?

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/ligue_william.jpg

:no:

courtland
Dec 10, 2003, 9:39 PM
well we're in trouble st. louis, because in addition to bobby costas living here, we also have dan dierdoff (cbs), joe buck (fox) and joey meyer (lakers games) is from the Lou.

Chi-town
Dec 10, 2003, 9:41 PM
Sure...

5) Chicago - would you want to William Ligue to be your neighbor?

Don't think he's actually from Chicago, but whatever.

nostyle
Dec 10, 2003, 9:54 PM
Chi-town, since you're so quick to judge my cleverness, why don't you give us your list?

alex1
Dec 10, 2003, 10:22 PM
that man was from milwaukee actually. he was unhappy that kansas city had less white trash so he attacked the KC coach.

j/k of course.

Chi-town
Dec 10, 2003, 10:30 PM
Chi-town, since you're so quick to judge my cleverness, why don't you give us your list?
Well, in no particular order, it would include (off the top of my head, by no means final):

Las Vegas
Sacremento
Detroit
Jacksonville
Atlanta
Houston
Phoenix
Milwaukee
Indy
Kansas City
Tulsa

LAmetroman
Dec 10, 2003, 10:39 PM
Well, in no particular order, it would include (off the top of my head, by no means final):

Las Vegas
Sacremento

Did you mean Sacramento? What in particular is wrong with Sacramento?

Rail Claimore
Dec 10, 2003, 10:53 PM
This list is complete bullshit, and everyone knows it.

Chi-town
Dec 10, 2003, 11:01 PM

Las Vegas
Sacremento

Did you mean Sacramento? What in particular is wrong with Sacramento?
Fresno would work as well...

Something about having all the downsides of living in California, and none of the benefits...

Mr Man
Dec 10, 2003, 11:28 PM
Bullshit!

This comes from a site that has a few interesting looking articles, but i haven't checked it out for long enough to know what its whole point is. i disagree with 99% of this nonsense, but there are a couple valid points. let's see what you guys think...

http://www.bullymag.com/11.18.03/cities-111803.asp

Bully's "Ten Worst American Cities To Live In" List
By Ken Wohlrob

10. Seattle
Seattle would seem to have everything going for it. Great music, good restaurants, a beautiful landscape, a range of ethnic cultures, and centralized collection of hi-tech businesses that attract brainy folks from places like San Francisco (ever since that city hit the economic slide). So what makes Seattle one of the ten worst cities to live in? Well it's those same techies who fled San Francisco to seek Seattle's venture-capital rich environment, usually after watching the movie Singles, who have turned this once humble and artistic community into a plague of cellphone sporting, PDA carrying idiots who fly around the streets in their Volkswagens while listening to the Flaming Lips. You know that annoying jackass who walks around in the cellphone commercials saying, "Can you hear me now?" He's the official mascot for Seattle. About the only consolation to all this is that Seattle still has one of the highest suicide rates in the nation.

9. Toledo
The first of the Ohio Triplets on our list, Toledo would be the perfect place to re-make The Omega Man. This mostly due to the fact that this Midwestern hole is so bleak, so gray, so devoid of life, that except for rush hour, you wouldn't know that anyone actually lived in Toledo. Forget civic pride, everyone in Toledo knows the city is a hellhole and just stays home to watch TV. Last time we visited, the only after hours joint was located in a hotel for men. Toledo's official city slogan should be "Toledo…We're…well…ah screw it."

8. Los Angeles
If you look at some of the most talented people to ever walk the planet that ended up destroying themselves - Hemingway, Bruce, Belushi, Morrison, Fitzgerald, Faulkner, Welles, and yes even Osbourne - all have one thing in common. LA.

7. Salt Lake City

6. Cincinnati
If you took Chicago, sucked out every last ounce of culture including its thriving music scenes and quality restaurants and bars, leaving a graying hulk of skyscrapers and a complete lack of night life, then you would have Cincinnati. To some Cincinnati is the greatest city in the U.S. - usually these folks are old, white, Christian fundamentalists, confined to wheelchairs, and are very scared of "coloreds." If you are not this type of person and you live in Cincinnati and like it, you have mental problems and should seek professional help.

5. St. Louis
The "Gateway to the West" has three strikes against it. First is that St. Louis has the highest crime rate of any U.S. city. Second, the main architectural landmark looks like an unfinished McDonald's logo. Third, Bob Costas lives there.

4. Atlanta

3. Miami
What can we say about Miami except that it brings out the worst cheesy tendencies in people of all races, creeds, and colors. If you want to see blacks, whites, and latinos at their intellectual lowest, than Miami is just for you. Gaudy neon, bad dance clubs, dopey fashionistas, y'all come back now ya hear!

2. Phoenix

1. Cleveland
The obvious choice for worst city to live in is Cleveland. Not so much because of the lack of culture. Nor is it the lack of a thriving night life. And it is not the constant economic pall that looms over the city. What really makes Cleveland the worst city in all of America is the fact that it shares many of these qualities with other cities - such as its Ohio Twin, Toledo - and refuses to acknowledge it. As a recent article in the Washington Post pointed out, Cleveland peaked in the 1930s and has been on the downslide ever since. To make matters worse, the Plain Dealer - the local city newspaper - found that the higher a young person's education degree, the more likely said person was to move out of Cleveland. In fact it was one of the only three major metropolitan areas in the 1990s to experience such a mass exodus of intelligence. In essence, smart people leave Cleveland while the dumb stay to crank out children and watch the Indians games. Now if you said this to the average Clevelandite, they would call you an a-hole, pound their fist on the table, and insist that Cleveland has just as much to offer as New York City or Chicago. It's almost as if the citizens have become desensitized to the obvious. At least the Toledoans have a clue, but Clevelandites like their city just the way it is and they're damn proud of it…with the closed steel mills, and bad wing joints, and those horrible blues bands that all play a terrible rendition of "Mustang Sally."

Mr Man
Dec 10, 2003, 11:32 PM
I can agree with most of the cities on the list.

Las Vegas
Sacremento
Detroit
Jacksonville
Atlanta
Houston
Phoenix
Milwaukee
Indy
Kansas City
Tulsa

SuperstarMark
Dec 10, 2003, 11:45 PM
You'll see a lot of Best Of/Worst Of lists in the media this time of year - just a hot way for them to get people to read their pubs. The list really is a joke. :)

Regardless, I'm just glad Pittsburgh wasn't picked on, like it usually is. :hyper:

GimmeABreak
Dec 11, 2003, 12:11 AM

Las Vegas
Sacremento
Detroit
Jacksonville
Atlanta
Houston
Phoenix
Milwaukee
Indy
Kansas City
Tulsa

Chi-town, see I was actually being clever, and using cities that I actually don't mind (I'm originally from Buffalo and I live in Charlotte now...notice the reasons I gave...they were JOKES).

You, on the other hand, have the sense of humor of a piece of plywood, and you didn't even give reasons for the cities you listed. You are clearly more clever than me.

dimondpark
Dec 11, 2003, 12:27 AM
Sacramento is an awesome place to live.:)

GRID
Dec 11, 2003, 12:50 AM
Again, this list is nothing but good humour. The fact is "There is a little truth in every joke." For example, you wouldn't see the Phoenix stabs after the word "Seattle" or "Cleveland" and vice-versa...because it wouldn't make any sense. So, think about it: It wouldn't be funny if it didn't kind of ring true. You could write an entry like that about every city - jokes and stereotypes exist for every town. Nothing to cry "It's just not true...it's just not true" over...

EastSideHBG
Dec 11, 2003, 2:51 AM
I still can't believe how bent out of shape some of you are getting about this. :???: Lighten up, damn!!!

GimmeABreak
Dec 11, 2003, 3:22 AM
Harrisburg - Why would I want to live in a city that wishes it was as cool as Erie???

Harrisburg - The real mistake by the lake...minus the lake.

Harrisburg - Has everything that Philly lacks...like cows.

;)

Welcome to the thread. :)

EastSideHBG
Dec 11, 2003, 3:28 AM
Harrisburg - Why would I want to live in a city that wishes it was as cool as Erie???

Harrisburg - The real mistake by the lake...minus the lake.

Harrisburg - Has everything that Philly lacks...like cows.

;)

Welcome to the thread. :)
Pure BS. You must be smoking crack. How dare you say things like this about my city. Have you even been here before? Yeah, whatever. :rolleyes:

Okay, now I fit in with this thread. :laugh:

GimmeABreak
Dec 11, 2003, 3:33 AM

LaJollaCA
Dec 11, 2003, 3:36 AM
I loved this list and I was easily amused!

The SLC one!? PRICELESS!

Don't take it so seriously people, kick back, relax, smoke a joint and live a little.

FLAplaya
Dec 11, 2003, 4:04 AM
LOL......that list is funny, I really enjoyed the Pheonix bashing;). People really do take things seriously around here:no: STOP IT!!!!!

LouisvilleJake
Dec 11, 2003, 7:34 AM
I love how we all get our panties in a knot relatively easily.

This list isn't SERIOUS...it's funny and poke fun at stereotypes these cities have.

As for the Mormon comment...I think it has more to do with the restrictive social codes that are in effect in SLC than the religion itself. It's just easier to say "Mormon" than the "control of the Mormon Church over the city" And it makes it more controversial that way.

Lost Island
Dec 11, 2003, 8:04 AM
You can almost get that feeling about "Hotlanta" from watching CNN Center or the Weather Channel.

6. Cincinnati
If you took Chicago, sucked out every last ounce of culture including its thriving music scenes and quality restaurants and bars, leaving a graying hulk of skyscrapers and a complete lack of night life, then you would have Cincinnati.

That's not funny as it is just cold.

Enzo
Dec 11, 2003, 8:11 AM
Obviously this list is a satirical piss-take, and a damn funny one at that!

I particularly enjoyed; Toledo's official city slogan should be "Toledo…We're…well…ah screw it."

If the list was compiled with any seriousness or science, Buffalo would be on it. :haha:

Xing
Dec 11, 2003, 8:50 AM

Yes, it's probably best if you stop where you are.

Evergrey
Dec 11, 2003, 1:38 PM
Brilliant and hilarious list! I love it!

amel70
Dec 11, 2003, 1:55 PM
It's all a matter of opinon and, while the list is funny, I agree with it.

nostyle
Dec 11, 2003, 2:50 PM
I can't say I do. All of these cities are livable in their own ways. Hey, millions of people somehow survive in these supposed hellholes...

That doesn't mean that these descriptions aren't somewhat accurate though...even though they're heavily exaggerated.

ltsmotorsport
Dec 11, 2003, 8:16 PM
Fresno would work too...
Something about having all the downsides of living in California, and none of the benefits...

You got it all wrong.;) Sac is a great place to live and nothing like Fresno (thank god). Have you ever been here, or just heard things?:rolleyes:

Rick
Dec 11, 2003, 9:25 PM
ROFLOL!

I don't know what's funnier, the article itself, or the angry reaction it gets from oversensitive people around here who take it personally.

Chi-town
Dec 11, 2003, 9:57 PM
Fresno would work too...

You got it all wrong.;) Sac is a great place to live and nothing like Fresno (thank god). Have you ever been here, or just heard things?:rolleyes:
why would I want to live in California in a place with no palm trees, beaches, or mountains?

SacTownAndy
Dec 11, 2003, 10:32 PM
Fresno would work too...

why would I want to live in California in a place with no palm trees, beaches, or mountains?

??!!??

True about the ocean, about an hours drive away. But no palm trees???!!??? Are you nuts? You have OBVIOUSLY never been here. There are just as many, if not more, palm trees here than any other type of tree. And you may want to look at a map- the last time I checked, Sacramento was situated at the base of the largest mountain range in the country:

The Sierra Nevada, taken from the Yolo floodplain looking east
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/pe71da58ecfe71989927a797de73f225e/fb0364d1.jpg

Taken from my sister's patio in a suburb 20 miles east of downtown Sac
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/pb8de5c43eb25ad1b5cdbd4ef2ff2382a/fc86f3cd.jpg

Sacramento/El Dorado county border
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/p90bf02f1db52525151bcffd83afc2b0b/fc86f26d.jpg

I'm an avid snowboarder and can be at some of the best resorts in the world in 45 minutes. But oh yeah, according to you, there are no mountains here...:uhh:

Chi-town
Dec 11, 2003, 10:36 PM
I didn't say there were no mountains close by, I said no mountains "there". SF and LA have mountains actually in the city, that's what I meant.

It just doesn't seem very Californian. More like Denver than San Francisco...

dimondpark
Dec 11, 2003, 10:56 PM
take my word for it when I say this isnt the only palm tree in Sacramento.*rollseyes*
http://drs.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=california+state+capitol/v=2/l=IVI/*-http://www.rootsweb.com/~casacram/sacramentocapitol.gif

And really all this talk about "feeling" like California is odd since Los Angeles and San Francisco dont "feel" at all like one another in the least.

The state is too vast and varied for the entire "feel" of the place to be pigeon-holed into one little image.

Daniel_18
Dec 12, 2003, 8:12 PM
Ouch!
LOL....never heard anybody say y'all here...EVER....

Really? I've heard it plenty of times.

Chi-town
Dec 12, 2003, 8:26 PM
This pic from City Photos illustrates the Atlanta one pretty well...

"Midtown" Atlanta:
http://skyscraperpage.com/gallery/data/500/3041at5.jpg

it's like they took a few tall towers and built them in a suburb

Daniel_18
Dec 12, 2003, 8:31 PM
Damn, that's some huge gaps.

CiNYC
Dec 12, 2003, 9:37 PM
shouldn't all skyscrapers have their own front yard? ;)

supastar
Dec 12, 2003, 9:37 PM
Considering the population of these areas is a combined 40 million plus, they can't be that bad! :) Oh, and that's actually an old shot of Atlanta. Many new condos and towers have been built. Anyone who's been to Midtown will attest to that, it's one of my favorite urban neighborhoods in the States, next to mine in Brooklyn.

nostyle
Dec 12, 2003, 9:41 PM

Wow, tru dat. I've never seen that angle before...

Daniel_18
Dec 12, 2003, 9:43 PM
I think that pic has too much quality to be an old pic.

Rick
Dec 12, 2003, 9:43 PM

Agreed. That is one sorry excuse for a city.

nostyle
Dec 12, 2003, 9:44 PM
This next pic just goes to show how much perspective matters, though, because Atlanta looks far from suburban here:

http://www.pbase.com/image/2784403/original.jpg