PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Wars: NYC vs. Chicago

Chi-town
Dec 2, 2003, 6:49 AM
on the Travel Channel right now. I missed the first 5 minutes, if I'd known it was on in advance I would have posted about it.

Hopefully they'll re-air it at some point...

alex1
Dec 2, 2003, 6:54 AM
i took my hard-core nY friend to a chicago style pizzeria in Florida (the Giordiano's in Orlando). He swore that nothing was better then a nY slice of pizza. When the pizza arrived at our table he asked "what's this?". Needless to say; he was converted.

ChiNY
Dec 2, 2003, 6:56 AM
Chicago style wins hands down!! I can't stand it when New Yorker's think you can't get a good "New York style" pizza anywhere outside the city. Please...all it is is really thin crust you can roll in your hand...big deal... Now try getting a good deep dish pizza outside of Chicago and I think you'll be hard pressed to find it! : ) I'm obviously passionate about my pizza....excuse me

Enzo
Dec 2, 2003, 6:57 AM
LOL!

I like 'em both on their home turf.

Hard to get a decent deep-dish here though, it's just not pc. :haha:

NY pizza is made for eating while walking briskly, if it doesn't pass that test it ain't the real thing. ;)

Chi-town
Dec 2, 2003, 7:11 AM
Chicago style wins hands down!! I can't stand it when New Yorker's think you can't get a good "New York style" pizza anywhere outside the city. Please...all it is is really thin crust you can roll in your hand...big deal... Now try getting a good deep dish pizza outside of Chicago and I think you'll be hard pressed to find it! : ) I'm obviously passionate about my pizza....excuse me
Those chain Uno's all over the place are practically sacreligious. I got a pizza at the one in Madison once... last time I'll make that mistake.

Mr Man
Dec 2, 2003, 7:16 AM
Hmmm.. I would need to sample both. :D

Chi-town
Dec 2, 2003, 7:19 AM
Hmmm.. I would need to sample both. :D
Yes, you would.

Hit up Lou Malnati's next time you're in Chicago. I'll let the New York forumers make their nomination for what you should try in NYC.

Enzo
Dec 2, 2003, 7:32 AM
Those chain Uno's all over the place are practically sacreligious.

I so agree. We've got one on 86th Street. Now I know real Chi deep dish, so for all the years I've lived in this hood the Uno has been summarily shunned by me. But my g/f has never been to Chicago and all my ravings about deep-dish got the best of her curiosity so she dragged me in recently.

Let's just say we won't be going back and she still has no idea what a proper deep-dish pizza really is and why the universe would not be the same without it.

Otherwise we live on the proper NY style, got several of the finest examples burning coal and dealing slices within blocks.

She lives in London and let me tell you, that ain't pizza being served over there, no matter what the sign says.;)

Steely Dan
Dec 2, 2003, 7:49 AM
I like 'em both on their home turf.

A-motherfucking-MEN!

finally, someone understands the real deal. good fucking pizza is a god, NYC and chicago just happen to worship different gods, but holy fuck, they are both DIVINE!

Rail Claimore
Dec 2, 2003, 8:10 AM
I like them both, but Chicago-style is the one I'd love to sit down and eat.

Chicago103
Dec 2, 2003, 9:37 AM
Definatly Chicago style for me. However I am a little biased since Chicago style is the only one I have tasted on home turf.

Lexy
Dec 2, 2003, 9:40 AM
I have had both in my lifetime. I must say, Chicago wins, but both are the best in my books. The texture of the Chi-Town style suits my liking better than the NY style.

Chase Unperson
Dec 2, 2003, 12:30 PM
I agree with Enzo, nothing hits the spot more at 2am on your walk home than a slice of NY pizza. Fold that baby in half and keep on steping.

And nothing is better than Chicago pizza when you are sitting down to eat it at 7pm.

If I had to choose one to eat for the rest of my life, it would probably be NY.

But if I had to eat one for my last meal, it would be Chicago hands down.

NYatKNIGHT
Dec 2, 2003, 5:11 PM
Yet another comparison with New York.

ChiNY
Dec 2, 2003, 5:16 PM
Yeah, about pizza...:eat:

Chi-town
Dec 2, 2003, 5:18 PM
Yet another comparison with New York.
:yes:

(I understand that this was tongue-in-cheek, by the way)

Chi-town
Dec 2, 2003, 5:20 PM
I so agree. We've got one on 86th Street. Now I know real Chi deep dish, so for all the years I've lived in this hood the Uno has been summarily shunned by me. But my g/f has never been to Chicago and all my ravings about deep-dish got the best of her curiosity so she dragged me in recently.

Let's just say we won't be going back and she still has no idea what a proper deep-dish pizza really is and why the universe would not be the same without it.

Otherwise we live on the proper NY style, got several of the finest examples burning coal and dealing slices within blocks.

Seriously, they should close those places down. It's ruining the reputation of Chicago pizza around the country.

And why are all your pizza places called Ray's?

shoowaa1
Dec 2, 2003, 5:25 PM
My vote would go to Chicago mostly because I've been there 14 times-love the pizza and I'll even say Chi-town has some of the best Mexican food too (as to Mexican food the restaurants in Pilsen kick some major ass and a good one could be Chicago vs San Antonio;)). But I've yet to see NY so I really should say neutral on this one-NY is on the top of my must see list btw.

Albert (Shoowaa)

NYatKNIGHT
Dec 2, 2003, 5:27 PM
^^^:D It was tongue and cheek, of course, but the truth is it's a one-sided "war". Even if the rest of the world prefers what Chicago calls pizza, New Yorkers couldn't care less, pizza runs through their blood. Most aren't even aware that there is other styles of pizza out there (besides Sicilian). Chicago style pizza is absolutely delicious, but they are two different species and ought not be compared.

ChiNY
Dec 2, 2003, 5:32 PM
What's that? New Yorkers not being aware that there is something else out there that many consider "better?" So unheard of.....:no:

NYatKNIGHT
Dec 2, 2003, 5:35 PM
Exactly, a very New York attitude, but still there is no "war".

NYatKNIGHT
Dec 2, 2003, 5:41 PM
Please...all it is is really thin crust you can roll in your hand...big deal...

And I must say, that if this is all you think of the pizza in New York, then our opinions hugely vary on what a good pizza is. But your point on not being able to get a good Chicago style pizza outside Chicago is well taken.

:cheers:

Antares41
Dec 2, 2003, 6:06 PM
I think there both great, NY pizza is closer to the traditional portable meal that pizza was meant to be. Chicago pizza is some delicious mutation of pizza, truly what I would call "Pizza Americana". Comparing them is like comparing a father to his son!

alex1
Dec 2, 2003, 6:28 PM
New Yorkers couldn't care less, pizza runs through their blood.

*laugh*

this is all just too funny for me.

ChiNY
Dec 2, 2003, 6:36 PM
Agreed there really is no war. People either really love one and hate or don't care about the other...or ya love both. Now how about hot dogs? I saw a something on the food network once about the New York versus Chicago style dog... I personally don't really eat either.

alex1
Dec 2, 2003, 6:53 PM
i like tofu dogs. i'll take toronto on this one.

hudkina
Dec 2, 2003, 7:44 PM
I'll even say Chi-town has some of the best Mexican food too

Apparently, you've never been to Mexicantown in Detroit. Home to the best Mexican food outside of, well, Mexico.

BTW, I'm not to keen on what style Detroit has adopted. For one, I don't like Pizza. But also, Detroit is the home to two of the Big Three. (No, not the auto industry) Little Caesar's and Domino's. I think you can get the homogenized version of either one. But again, I don't eat pizza, so I wouldn't know.

Detroit is coney dog heaven. You'll find a coney island around just about every corner. Pizza places, eh. You're lucky to find one in the city that isn't Little Caesar's or Domino's.

alex1
Dec 2, 2003, 7:59 PM
is detroit a suburb of chicago or nY?

hudkina
Dec 2, 2003, 8:24 PM
ha! If anything Chicago is a suburb of Detroit. An overgrown, uppity, suburb.;)

Dampyre
Dec 2, 2003, 8:45 PM
Apparently, you've never been to Mexicantown in Detroit. Home to the best Mexican food outside of, well, Mexico.

BTW, I'm not to keen on what style Detroit has adopted. For one, I don't like Pizza. But also, Detroit is the home to two of the Big Three. (No, not the auto industry) Little Caesar's and Domino's. I think you can get the homogenized version of either one. But again, I don't eat pizza, so I wouldn't know.

Detroit is coney dog heaven. You'll find a coney island around just about every corner. Pizza places, eh. You're lucky to find one in the city that isn't Little Caesar's or Domino's.

I'd bet my right arm that Deroit can't even begin to compare to Chicago in terms of Mexican food(or anything else, really). That fact that Chicago's Mexican population is many times larger ensures this.

Chicago103
Dec 2, 2003, 9:49 PM
What other styles of pizzas are named after cities besides Chicago and New York? When I was in St. Louis once I saw an advertisment for a restaurant that served "St. Louis style pizza", I didnt get a chance to try it though. Do any St. Louis forumers know?

alex1
Dec 2, 2003, 9:50 PM
ha! If anything Chicago is a suburb of Detroit. An overgrown, uppity, suburb.;)

but is detroit midwestern?

Chi-town
Dec 2, 2003, 10:06 PM
Agreed there really is no war. People either really love one and hate or don't care about the other...or ya love both. Now how about hot dogs? I saw a something on the food network once about the New York versus Chicago style dog... I personally don't really eat either.
Chicago definitely wins that one.

New York hot dogs aren't supposed to be good, they're supposed to be something you can fish out of dirty water, put in a stale bun, and squirt some mustard and ketchup onto.

There was an article in the NY Times a while back about restaurants and hot dog joints in NYC starting to offer Chicago dogs (for those who don't know, it's vienna beef, poppy-seed bun, sweet relish, sport peppers, mustard, celery salt, tomato, dill pickle, and maybe onions, but NEVER ketchup or mayo). Apparently they've caught on there a bit...

Again though, a Chicago style dog is not something you want to eat while running down the street, unless you want relish all over your clothes.

pkp
Dec 2, 2003, 10:06 PM
We have several local pizza places here. My two favorites are Picklefish, which cooks pizza on a grill i/o an oven. Another great one is La Pizzaria which cooks in a wood fired oven.
Lomardi's is great in NYC.

hudkina
Dec 2, 2003, 10:09 PM
Yes, but it literally is on the border. But what does that have to do with which style of pizza a city has adopted.

Chicago may have more hispanics than Detroit, but it also has more blacks, whites, asians, or any other ethnic group.

Mexicantown is a huge neighborhood of Detroit (probably over 1 sq. mi. in area) full of mexican restaurants, bars, grocery stores, etc. And I know it's hard to admit that any city besides New York has something bigger or better than Chicago, but it does happen sometimes.

Chi-town
Dec 2, 2003, 10:11 PM
Mexicantown is a huge neighborhood of Detroit (probably over 1 sq. mi. in area) full of mexican restaurants, bars, grocery stores, etc. And I know it's hard to admit that any city besides New York has something bigger or better than Chicago, but it does happen sometimes.

Well, Detroit doesn't. One square mile? Psshhh. Chicago has the second largest Mexican population in the U.S. after LA, and Mexicans in Chicago are much more recent immigrants on average than those in areas with established Chicano culture, so the food is more authentic. Don't take my word for it, various food magazines have written on it so I'm sure you can find an article somewhere.

Little Caesar's and Domino's are horrid. And I'm not even sure Little Caesar's is one of the Big Three anymore. They're all but gone in the Chicago area at least, and I haven't seen a TV commercial ("Pizza pizza") in ages. Papa John's is now one of the 3 top chains.

Are coney dogs corn dogs? I'll have to check those out.

What Detroit does do well in, IMO, is Lebanese food. There's a large Lebanese population around Detroit.

Rail Claimore
Dec 2, 2003, 10:15 PM
Domino's, Papa Johns, and Pizza Hut are the big three.

hudkina
Dec 2, 2003, 10:23 PM
Strange. I've never heard of Papa Johns...

Have you ever been to Mexicantown, Chi-town? New York has a larger hispanic population than Chicago, does that mean New York has better Mexican food? Does Chicago even have a mexican district? Mexicantown is to Detroit what Chinatown is to San Francisco. It's an ethnic enclave with a lot of the great food and cultural events associated with said ethnic group. Stop knocking it without even having a clue as to what it is.

I'm getting really sick of Chicago...

alex1
Dec 2, 2003, 10:41 PM
chicago has many mexican hoods. pilsen being the most well known.

Dampyre
Dec 2, 2003, 11:12 PM
chicago has many mexican hoods. pilsen being the most well known.

There are also huge Mexican hoods further south. You don't even see English for several blocks in some of these hoods. Take a drive down 47th west of Ashland for a few miles. There's an amazingly dense Mexican enclave there.

Dampyre
Dec 2, 2003, 11:26 PM

Have you ever been to Mexicantown, Chi-town? New York has a larger hispanic population than Chicago, does that mean New York has better Mexican food? Does Chicago even have a mexican district? Mexicantown is to Detroit what Chinatown is to San Francisco. It's an ethnic enclave with a lot of the great food and cultural events associated with said ethnic group. Stop knocking it without even having a clue as to what it is.

So, Detroit has better Mexican food because there is a single sq mile Mexican enclave there? Chicago has several Mexican enclaves. After all, there are over 700,000 just in the city. How many live in Detroit?

So, you're getting sick of Chicago? When I get through you'll probably hate the place.:haha:

Chase Unperson
Dec 2, 2003, 11:33 PM
I'd like to see some NYers come to Chicago and order ketchup and kraut on their dogs at Weiners Circle. The women working there would rip into them so hard that they would start crying. They don't have anything as intense or tough as Weiners Circle in NY.

Chase Unperson
Dec 2, 2003, 11:36 PM
Oh and NY has nooooo good mexican restaurants. There are a few places trying to do the taqueria thing in the east village, but they just can't get it right. Chicago taquerias are good, but I still say the best are in the Mission in SF and some places in Santa Cruz and surely they kick ass in LA and SD although I have never had burritos there.

no_name
Dec 2, 2003, 11:42 PM
I say the Chicago forumers should make a list of the best deep dish pizza, hot dog, sausage, steak, and anything else Chicago's famous for and their locations, post it in a thread, and sticky it to this forum. :eat:

alex1
Dec 3, 2003, 12:20 AM
chicago mexican isn't that good compared to Texas or newMexico.

Best pizza in my opinion:
giordiannos
ginos
chicagos
tedinos
lou malnattis
dags (for thin crust)

Dampyre
Dec 3, 2003, 12:24 AM
chicago mexican isn't that good compared to Texas or newMexico.

Best pizza in my opinion:
giordiannos
ginos
chicagos
tedinos
lou malnattis
dags (for thin crust)

Eduardo's shits on Gioriannos. It's much better. I'd also say that Italian Fiesta has better thin crust than Giordanno's as well. Lou Malnattis may have good deep dish but their thin crust lacks.

I like:

Gino's
Home Run Inn
Eduardo's
Itlian Fiesta(great neighborhood pizza)
Lou Malnattis(deep dish only)

theodore
Dec 3, 2003, 12:25 AM
"Does Chicago even have a Mexican district?"

I believe the figure for hispanics in Chicago is 750,000. That's not to suggest Chicago's dick is bigger than Detroit's; I'm just stating the facts. We have many "Mexican Districts".

Back to the matter at hand...

PIZZA: I like both, but New York's has a slight edge for me personally. I'll walk down to the local pizza joint for a slice on occassion here, but if I was a New Yorker, pizza would become habit forming.

HOT DOGS: Chicago. This one is not very close at all. I've tried Nathan's, and I liked it. But Chicago seems to have a bigger and more passionate "encased meats" scene. I like that.

Chi-town
Dec 3, 2003, 2:10 AM

I'm getting really sick of you.

FYI- Mexican and Hispanic are not the same thing. New York has tons of Dominicans and other hispanic groups, but Dominican food is horrible.

Have you ever heard of Pilsen? It's just one of Chicago's Mexican enclaves, and almost certainly larger than "Mexicantown". Creative name, by the way.

What do you mean "does Chicago have a Mexican district"? Chicago's Mexican population is almost the size of Detroit's TOTAL population.

Chi-town
Dec 3, 2003, 2:12 AM
HOT DOGS: Chicago. This one is not very close at all. I've tried Nathan's, and I liked it. But Chicago seems to have a bigger and more passionate "encased meats" scene. I like that.
Well, Chicago practically invented them. Armor, Oscar Mayer, etc...

STL_shoes
Dec 3, 2003, 5:03 AM
Chicago103, There is definitely a St. Louis style pizza. Most natives love it, most everyone else doesn't. My Uncle owns an independent St. Louis Style pizza joint (Faraci Pizza).

St. Louis style pizza has thin cripy crust, provel cheese instead of mozzarella, and is cut into squares. Also, every good St. Louis style pizza place sells toasted ravioli, too!

alex1
Dec 3, 2003, 5:42 AM
^hmmmmm, that sounds like chicago style thin crust pizza. I like it just fine.

and dominicans, mexicans and the like aren't hispanic. They are latino. Hispanics are people from Spain and Portugal. I know a high percentage of the population always gets this wrong; but it can anger some...

speaking of hispanic food, the Spanish tapas bars in Chicago are some of the best anywhere. Cafe Iberico and Twist are awesome restaurants.

Go7SD
Dec 3, 2003, 5:53 AM
Chicago's Lou Malnatis's is the best imo. Here's a photo I shot. Steely Dan should know :)

http://skyscraperpage.com/gallery/data/500/2815img_2789.jpg

billyblancoNYCII
Dec 3, 2003, 6:11 AM
I'd like to see some NYers come to Chicago and order ketchup and kraut on their dogs at Weiners Circle. The women working there would rip into them so hard that they would start crying. They don't have anything as intense or tough as Weiners Circle in NY.

Christ Almighty, you are such a moron. How old are you, really? Where in Chicago do you live, I'd love to know. It must be a swell place, really.

Please, please tell me, oh mighty mighty midwestern hotdog and thick pizza tough guy. But please, don't yell at me, though. Us NYers are real pussies. You betcha.

Chi-town
Dec 3, 2003, 6:37 AM
speaking of hispanic food, the Spanish tapas bars in Chicago are some of the best anywhere. Cafe Iberico and Twist are awesome restaurants.
Tapas Barcelona in Evanston is pretty good too, if you're ever up there. So's Cafe Babareeba on Halsted, even if it is owned by Lettuce Entertain You (so is Everest though, and that's one of the top restaurants in the city)

hudkina
Dec 3, 2003, 6:46 AM
Yeah, we also have Greektown, Poletown, Germantown, etc. We were very unique when we chose our ethnic neighborhoods.;)

Sure 26% of Chicago is hispanic, and only 5% of Detroit is hispanic, but what does that have to do with who has the better mexican restuarants?

alex1
Dec 3, 2003, 6:54 AM
Us NYers are real pussies.

interesting observation. now that you mention it, i tend to agree with you.

Chi-town
Dec 3, 2003, 7:01 AM
Yeah, we also have Greektown, Poletown, Germantown, etc. We were very unique when we chose our ethnic neighborhoods.;)

Sure 26% of Chicago is hispanic, and only 5% of Detroit is hispanic, but what does that have to do with who has the better mexican restuarants?
:haha:

This gets better and better.

- Chicago's Greektown is huge. Ever seen the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? There's a reason it's set in Chicago.

- Poletown? Chicago has more Poles than any city besides Warsaw.

- Germantown? Until the early 20th century (prior to the huge Polish influx), Chicago had the second highest German population after Berlin. The number of German restaurants in the city is not what it once was (Germans are almost entirely assimilated into American culture), but it's still quite good. And Chicago has as active a German identity as any city with the possible exception of Milwaukee (remember the German Parade scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off?)

- That second statement is just retarded.

Crawford
Dec 3, 2003, 7:48 AM
There is no Germantown in Detroit. As far as I know, one never existed (I'm German and originally from Detroit).

Detroit's Poletown no longer exists. It was completely demolished decades ago for the GM Poletown Plant.

Detroit's Greektown is one block, and is completely for tourists. Certainly no Greek residents.

Mexicantown is relatively small, but is growing. Nothing like Chicago or the Sunbelt. Even NY (where I currnetly live) has much bigger Mexican neighborhoods (Southeast Bronx, East Harlem, Corona, Sunset Park, Bushwick, etc.).

Detroit's best ethnic corridor is Warren Ave in Dearborn- great Middle Eastern. A growing, authentic neighborhood.

Brooklyn718
Dec 3, 2003, 7:50 AM
:uhh: Sounds like some people on here have a complex...

hudkina
Dec 3, 2003, 8:10 AM
I wasn't saying those neighborhoods were still alive and thriving with their namesakes. I was just giving a few examples of the names given to the different ethnic neighborhoods over the years. If anything Detroit is one big African neighborhood now. There are few poles, germans, irish, or any other non-african ethnic groups in the city, and those that have stayed are pretty much homogenized and spread out amongst the black neighborhoods. Really, the only non-african dominated neighborhoods left are Mexicantown, Indian Village, and a few others. (Oakwood Heights, etc.)

That's really the only thing Detroit beats Chicago or any other city at. It's over 80% black. Sure Chicago has more blacks, but it also has nearly 2 million more people.

InitialD18
Dec 3, 2003, 8:18 AM
damn ... that pizza lookss sooooooo goooooooooood ...

Chase Unperson
Dec 3, 2003, 12:51 PM
Billy-little-boy-blue-blanket-nyc,

Dude I have seen it happen. I have taken unsuspecting friends from NYC there around 3am and they are left open jawed when these ladies start throwing every four letter at them. You gotta see it to believe it.

Shawn
Dec 3, 2003, 1:00 PM
Dont anyone bitch and moan about their pizza back home . . . at least you all can enjoy real pizza. I on the other hand am stuck with some god awful creation that oftentimes includes toppings such as egg, corn and mayo. Yes, mayo. In large amounts. All over the cheese. And also on pasta. And omlettes. And hot dogs. And hamburgers. And anything else you can think of.

JivecitySTL
Dec 3, 2003, 2:00 PM
What other styles of pizzas are named after cities besides Chicago and New York? When I was in St. Louis once I saw an advertisment for a restaurant that served "St. Louis style pizza", I didnt get a chance to try it though. Do any St. Louis forumers know?

Yes, St. Louis-style pizza is alive and well. The quintessential local chain is Imo's...

http://www.imospizza.com/images/home_logo.jpg
http://www.stlpizza.com/images/i_pizza.jpg

Although my personal favorite STL-style pizza is Rossino's.

I was surprised to find that there are St. Louis-style pizza joints all over the country. Here's a logo for a restaurant in Lewisville, TX:

http://vesuviosstlouispizza.com/nss-folder/pictures/Logo2.jpg

As for NY vs. Chicago pizza-- I'm partial to Chicago-style.

GreatSky
Dec 3, 2003, 3:05 PM
Don't get me wrong, Chicago's pizza is pretty damn good, but New York's is the real deal. New York introduced pizza to the Americas straight from Italy, not the other way around. Then other cities made their own styles and flavors to make it their own. New York=tradition.

Chi-town
Dec 3, 2003, 3:40 PM
Detroit's best ethnic corridor is Warren Ave in Dearborn- great Middle Eastern. A growing, authentic neighborhood.
That's what I'd heard. I love Lebanese food, I'll be sure to eat some in Detroit.

That's really the only thing Detroit beats Chicago or any other city at. It's over 80% black. Sure Chicago has more blacks, but it also has nearly 2 million more people.
I don't see how that makes Detroit "beat" Chicago in anything. Having over 80% of one race isn't diversity, whether it's white, black, red, yellow or fucking green.

Honestly, why were you even mentioning ethnic neighborhoods that no longer exist? If I were to do that for Chicago, there would be dozens upon dozens of them, everything from the Indian/Pakistani neighborhood that still exists around Devon Ave., to the Swedish enclaves that are pretty much gone now that the Swedes have all assimilated (except for a Swedish heritage museum and the occasional parade).

billyblancoNYCII
Dec 3, 2003, 3:49 PM

Cardboy, did someone esk you to comment? Really, what's the deal with some of you people?

You making this comment would be like me saying all Chi-towners are nosey, annoying, opinionated smartasses that don't know what being ironic-al is and wouldn't know a real city if they had one fly up their ass. Now, we all know that's not true... for all Chicagoans.

By the way, what the hell is StL-style pizza?

Daniel_18
Dec 3, 2003, 4:20 PM
I haven't tried NYC nor Chicago- style pizzas.

billyblancoNYCII
Dec 3, 2003, 4:26 PM
That's not right. Both are a must.

STL_shoes
Dec 3, 2003, 4:42 PM
I described it earlier in the thread, billyblanco.

alex1
Dec 3, 2003, 4:53 PM

Cardboy, did someone esk you to comment? Really, what's the deal with some of you people?

You making this comment would be like me saying all Chi-towners are nosey, annoying, opinionated smartasses that don't know what being ironic-al is and wouldn't know a real city if they had one fly up their ass. Now, we all know that's not true... for all Chicagoans.

By the way, what the hell is StL-style pizza?

hey, i just agreed with you (it wasn't serious). stop your whining.

someone already explained what st. louis pizza is fyi. It's like chicago thin crust pizza. thin, crispy and cut into squares.

billyblancoNYCII
Dec 3, 2003, 4:54 PM
Chicago103, There is definitely a St. Louis style pizza. Most natives love it, most everyone else doesn't. My Uncle owns an independent St. Louis Style pizza joint (Faraci Pizza).

St. Louis style pizza has thin cripy crust, provel cheese instead of mozzarella, and is cut into squares. Also, every good St. Louis style pizza place sells toasted ravioli, too!

Sorry... thanks.

alex1
Dec 3, 2003, 9:02 PM
*peace* :)

hudkina
Dec 3, 2003, 9:55 PM
Chi-Town, is everyone in chicago as much of an asshole as you?:???: Geez!

Nevermind! Chicago is the ultimate king of the world. It's better than Detroit! It's better than Toronto! It's better than Tokyo! It's better than New York! It's better than any city that will ever rise and any city that has ever risen! Every other city in the world pales in comparison to Chicago. I bow down to the ultimate city. With the ultimate pizza, and the ultimate hot dogs, and the ultimate mexican restuarants, and the ultimate ethnic neighborhoods, and the ultimate city life, and the ultimate EVERYTHING. Chicago wins handsdown! I don't even know why I haven't left this hellhole called Detroit and moved to the GREATEST city ever founded: CHICAGO.:crazy:

;)

alex1
Dec 3, 2003, 10:21 PM
there you go hudkina. now you've got it!

p.s. just so you don't call me that vicious "cardboy" word like billy did, please be very aware that i'm being sarcastic and not serious. although i doubt that a detroiter would call someone such horrible names. *reeking of sarcasm*

speaking of detroit. i hear the Greek food is exceptionally good.

alex1
Dec 3, 2003, 10:23 PM
oh! one last thing; Greektown in Chicago is also just show. That neighborhood is nothing but Greek restaurants and white yuppy residents. It's been that way ever since i could remember.

Chi-town
Dec 3, 2003, 10:32 PM
oh! one last thing; Greektown in Chicago is also just show. That neighborhood is nothing but Greek restaurants and white yuppy residents. It's been that way ever since i could remember.
Chicago does have a lot of Greeks though, just not in Greektown. This is a food thread though, and they don't have to live in the neighborhood for there to be good restaurants there. People that want to open a Greek restaurant just stick it in Greektown even though they don't live there, because it's well known and near downtown.

Chi-town
Dec 3, 2003, 10:38 PM
It's better than Detroit! It's better than Toronto! It's better than Tokyo! It's better than New York!
2 out of 4 ain't bad...

Dampyre
Dec 4, 2003, 12:05 AM

You can get an awesome Gyro at 4:00 am in greektown. That's good enough for me.

alex1
Dec 4, 2003, 1:14 AM
well, i'm half greek so i know the place well. My dad used to take me there since i can remember.

and yes. There's a ton of Greeks in chicago. Most are in the burbs now though.

Chi-town
Dec 4, 2003, 1:17 AM
Yeah. My stepmom is Greek... most of her family is out near Joliet, although she lives on the Gold Coast.

Enzo
Dec 4, 2003, 1:45 AM
I would love to visit Greektown in Chicago, but so far have just had it pointed out while whizzing by on the Hwy.

Although there are tons of Greeks in Nyc (they own/operate most of the independant diners and painting co's and are big landlords) there really is no longer any "Greektown". Apparently Astoria, Queens was once the locus but these days Thai and Indian restaurants outnumber what's left of the Greek. Perhaps they became too successful to maintain a "ghetto" just like the Jews?

We do have a lofty Greek icon in Manhattan, the Corinthian Apt's. Owned and managed by a Greek shipping co. I don't think it needs any further explaination. Can't get a gyro there though.

http://members.aol.com/smurphy109/apts/corinth.jpg

alex1
Dec 4, 2003, 2:39 AM
greektown has improved over the years enzo, but you're not missing much (as far as an urban hood it's okay). The food is a different story though. My father used to swear that the best Greek food he ever ate wasn't in crete or athens or santorini but in Chicago.

Enzo
Dec 4, 2003, 2:41 AM
I have an addiction for dolmades.:D

Apparently Melbourne Aus is quite the place for Greek cuisine (outside Greece itself, of course). They claim the largest community of Greeks beyond Athens. Never been myself.

billyblancoNYCII
Dec 4, 2003, 5:04 AM
alex1, I apologize for getting a bit testy. Just have to defend my town.

Enzo, there might not be as many Greeks as there used to be, I think well over 100+K, in Astoria, there are stil well over 50K or more and many have moved a bit more east in Queens to Bayside and Flushing. As any rate, Astoria is much more diverse now, but there are still tons of tavernas, gyro joints, and cafes. You should check it out some time. Take the N train and enjoy. My wife is from there, though not Greek, so I kinda know the area a bit. They actually seem to be opening more places (restaurants, bars, clubs, groceries), and more sophisticated ones, too.

alex1
Dec 4, 2003, 6:07 AM
billy, it's so okay. I really don't mind and applaud your passion.

enzo, i've heear that australia has an awesome Greek community. I would be willing to bet that it's more centralized and compact then anything in the U.S. Greeks seem to be moving to australia in hordes.

and yes, domades are so good.

gichicago
Dec 4, 2003, 9:40 AM
Now, just for clarification's sake (and correct me if im wrong on any of these), when someone says "Chicago style", there are really 3 different types:

1) Deep Dish - Probably the most famous type. Crust, topped with cheses, then tomato sauce (and other toppigs), baked in a pan.; Lou Malnatis, Unos, etc

2) Stuffed (Not stuffed crust). Basically like a deep dish, but there is a another thin layer of dough between the cheese and tomato sauce layer. I believe Giordanos Spinach pizza is like this.

3) Thin Crust (aka. St Louis style). Just like it has been described earlier. My favorite of all Chicago style pizzas. D'agastinos makes a great thin crust, and I hear Nick&Vito's on the south side makes excellent thin crust.

As for which style I like the best, I would have to give the nod to Chicago thin crust.

Geez, imagine if we threw in California pizza into the mix we would have a total pissing contest.

The Ignorant One
Dec 4, 2003, 10:23 AM
I would chose Chicago style "pizza" over New York style pizza... but if you think about it, Chicago style "pizza" isint really real pizza at all!

Chi-town
Dec 4, 2003, 9:01 PM
California pizza is practically sacreligious...

"Hi, I'd like a tofu and pinneaple pizza!"

*punch*

alex1
Dec 5, 2003, 1:36 AM
sorry to keep this going but toronto also has a great Greek community. That's actually were my dad immigrated to before settling on chicago.

Rural King
Dec 5, 2003, 5:16 AM
New York Style!!!!

Best New York Style Pizza in Tennessee can be found at the House of Pizza in the Arcade in downtown Nashville!!!

Best Chicago Style Pizza I know of is Pizza by the Pound in Paducah, KY. Chicago style is rare in my region it seems though. New York is much more common, but none compare to House of Pizza, which is authenic.

Chi-town
Dec 5, 2003, 11:46 AM
Best Chicago Style Pizza I know of is Pizza by the Pound in Paducah, KY.
Please don't be so silly as to judge Chicago style pizza on anything you've eaten in Kentucky. They can't even make it right in Madison, a two hour drive from Chicago.

Rural King
Dec 6, 2003, 11:09 PM
^ Its done pretty good, even if they are in Kentucky. :) Transplated northerners, like me.

House of Pizza in Nashvilleis run transplanted New Yorkers.

Chi-town
Dec 7, 2003, 12:29 AM
Transplanted northerners from where? They can't make it in Indiana either, ya know...

Chi-town
Dec 9, 2003, 2:38 AM
For hudkina:

The Frontera Grill
Dec 8th 2003
From The Economist Cities Guide

Sub-standard meat covered in gummy, processed cheese and swimming in an oily and numbingly spicy sauce: too frequently something like this appears on the plate as “Mexican” food. Like Indian food in Britain, Mexican food in America often suffers from its popularity. But the Frontera Grill, which many rate as the finest and most authentic Mexican restaurant outside Mexico, is a happy exception.

The food here is regional Mexican, rather than Tex-Mex: think braises rather than burritos; deep flavours rather than simply spicy ones. The restaurant prides itself on its mole—a family of sauces made from a dizzying number of ingredients, often including chocolate. Among appetisers, the tuna seviche is just the right balance of hot, sour and sweet. Meat is invariably well-sourced and treated right: the grilled game hen and braised duck were both standouts, though there are enough enticing-sounding dishes to give you buyer's remorse, however good your meal.

Any dessert that comes with cañeta (caramelised goat's milk) is worth trying. But the best way to end a meal here is with one of the many artisanally-produced mezcals, most of which are impossible to find outside of Mexico.

And this isn't the only place like that. Chicago has some of the country's best Mexican food, and likely the most authentic.

Rural King
Dec 9, 2003, 3:09 AM
@ Chi-town- Transplanted northerners from Chicago of course. LOL.