PDA

View Full Version : SFU Updates Discussions

metroXpress
Sep 3, 2009, 2:10 AM
Since UBC has it own thread, I guess we can have one for SFU as well.

SFU has a campus in Downtown Vancouver, Downtown Surrey and Burnaby.
I hope this is a suitable place for the thread. If not, please move it.

Check out this:

SFU alumni help new students find their way
By Black Press - Surrey North Delta Leader

Published: August 29, 2009 7:00 AM

0 Comments

http://media.bclocalnews.com/images/18899surreySFUkiosk.jpg

SFU kiosk co-inventor Matt Jeffrey watches as a visitor tries out the new location finder.

Visitors to the SFU Surrey campus have an innovative new way to find their way around, thanks to the ingenuity of two recent graduates.

The wayfinder uses artificial intelligence to map out the best route for users to get where they want to go. It can also be used to search for rooms based on size and availability, see what events are taking place and even display whether program advisors are available for consultation.

Matt Jeffrey and Gordon Manson, who graduated from the School of Interactive Arts and Technology at SFU Surrey last spring, developed the wayfinder as a project for a fourth-year interdisciplinary design course. Manson says the system is already operational and will be adjusted, if necessary, based on user input over the next few weeks.

SFU Surrey facilities manager Marie Schneider says other kiosks may be installed, depending on funding.

"When you first come to this campus you are struck by its unique architectural beauty," Schneider says. "But you might also be stuck finding your way around because of its atypical shape and structure. SFU is excited to work with our own students to develop a wayfinding system that showcases not only the building but also our talented graduates. This is knowledge in action."

The system, located on the mezzanine level of the campus, has been launched just in time for the fall semester, when hundreds of new first-year students will be attempting to find their way around.

Jeffrey and Manson plan to market the system to other institutions as well.

Pinion
Sep 3, 2009, 3:35 AM
SFU Harbour Centre is being repainted. Looks futuristic with bright white/super light purple instead of the 1980s speckled green walls. I never noticed how nice the interior wall design was with the green colour overload before.

ravman
Sep 3, 2009, 3:53 AM
GO SFU GO!

Spork
Sep 3, 2009, 4:07 AM
GO SFU GO!

filler filler filler

ravman
Sep 3, 2009, 7:15 AM
filler filler filler

:shrug:

Rusty Gull
Dec 15, 2009, 6:01 AM
any pics of the new SFU arts building that's part of the Woodwards project? I would love to see how that's coming along. SFU is slowly becoming Vancouver's version of NYU, with all of its buildings clustered along Hastings/Cordova.