PDA

View Full Version : 1 Historic Monument, Buffalo

Fortunate4Now
Mar 21, 2009, 4:31 PM
------------------------
Official sources:
Unofficial sources:http://www.buffaloah.com/a/lafsq/index.html

New York Times 1884:
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9403E1DE143FE533A25757C0A9619C94659FD7CF

Building Name: The Soldiers & Sailors Monument in Lafayette Square
Native Name:
Other Names:
Address: Lafayette Square
City: Buffalo
Postal Code: 14203
State/Province: New York
Official Building Website URL:
Skyscrapers.com (Emporis.info) URL:
Architect: George Keller
Interesting Facts/Records (in own words):

Heights--
- antenna:
- spire: 107' (32.61m)
- roof:
- top floor:
- other heights: 85' column, 22' Bronze lady statue on top

Current Building Status (Built, Proposed, Canceled, Destroyed, etc...):Built

Construction Dates--
- started: 1882
- finished: 1883
- destroyed:

Above ground floors:
Below ground floors:
Floor-to-floor height:
Gross Floor area:
Elevator count:
Unit count:

Structure Type(s): Monument, Statue
Building Use(s):
Building Style(s):
Building Materials: Stone, Granite, Bronze

Artemco
Mar 21, 2009, 8:17 PM
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=83106

M.K.
Mar 22, 2009, 11:19 AM
-strange, isn't that prohibited to do such structures other than highrises? Did you not see the Moderator's statement law? Why you did? And please do not come with the historic theme, there are billion of such in world spread like that, even taller i think.

I recommend the structure to be deleted from database according Interim by-law of Moderator, see: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=166152

Please Artemka, delete the structure until a decision from administrators. If the others should not have the right to be inside, this one neither, regardless from which forumer it comes. There must be none exception.

Artemco
Mar 22, 2009, 8:02 PM
So maybe let's delete hundreds already existing monuments with their drawings?

M.K.
Mar 22, 2009, 8:41 PM
No, because they were entered before the Interim by-law date of 09.03.2009. Entries already in database imo is to be kept, as i understood. Only new aditions not.

It was clear that every editor should not entered and add, regardless from which member and country, any of banal structures after this date and you did. Just that.

Fortunate4Now
Mar 23, 2009, 12:28 AM
That’s weak, this is a historic structure. It’s a war memorial and it means a lot to people in our area, even if it doesn’t to you.
i.e. b) It is of particular interest to the general public.

Don't be a hypocrite when you have pumped out plenty of "Fantasy" pointless big empty drawings. (no offense) as your drawing skills are Impeccable and something I aspire to. This isnt a set of powerlines and I'm not peppering you guys with a bunch of these. I think it's a valid entry on the grounds of historical significance and it's just as tall as plenty of already added buildings.

Yeah I guess the timing is bad as I just noticed the drama in other threads. I added it, and I will draw it, however If it's really worth your time to undo it then I guess there's really nothing I cant do..

M.K.
Mar 23, 2009, 11:28 AM
Well, I actually have just 1 Fantasy and this is drawn. So it is not pointless because is 1 / 395, it means much less than 0.02 %.

For me I really do not care about such structures being inside the database. Actually i am very flexible on that, as you can see the lowest limits i tried in past to give some direction to the site, what should be included and what not. You can see that in the instructions / tips thread above.

But we and all members have to respect what the moderator announced. In this reason, this is structure is also to be discussed.

But anyway, many thanks for appreciating my diagrams.

If you want to go further, please include your diagram, because until now the entry is made already, as well the 27m ferris wheels were also approved. So maybe will happen with yours.

You have to know that I really do not start this big discussion here, it was another editor that want fight out those structures when it ever had over the past 10 years. He started the big drama and theater here, and i think we all have to give a direction upon the decisions of administrators. Until there would be in such a confusion time, unfortunatly. :tup: But really saying i have never against your structure, in opposite, i am one here the most flexible about all types of them. The point is, it should be valid to everyone.

The reference about to be interesting for the general public, this is very controversal and subjective. I for example like bridges and towers a lot and this seems to be here not acceptable anymore. Seems strange, but it is the way the site is taking a direction.

steel
Mar 23, 2009, 4:47 PM
Personally I would like to see any unique tall structures included weather they be monuments or bridges. These are interesting things to know about abd compare against other similar structures.

Its is a stupid rule and should be eliminated.

Tony
Mar 23, 2009, 5:36 PM
Actually MK, I think this would fall under cultural heritage especially given that it was built specifically for that purpose and didn't just become that over time due to it's visual prominence in the area. Any other Senior / Approval Committee input / opinion is welcome. Cuz honestly, I'm not sure if this can be included at this time.

Thanks,