PDA

View Full Version : Chinese reporters make Campbell's Olympic press event uncomfortable

bils
Aug 12, 2008, 8:20 PM
Jeff Lee
Vancouver Sun

Tuesday, August 12, 2008
CREDIT: BRUCE STOTESBURY/ VICTORIA TIMES COLONIST

B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell stopped by Beijing's international media centre Tuesday, to sell his message about the state-of-the-art media centre the province is building in Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Games.

Instead, he found himself in a political discussion with reporters from some of China's government-run media who wanted to use his press conference to focus on problems affecting the Vancouver Olympics.

But the questions seemed to have more to do with political positioning than with eliciting information.

When one reporter from the China Daily, considered by Westerners to be a government mouthpiece, zeroed in how Campbell will handle "anti-Olympic groups such as the Anti-Poverty Coalition", Campbell gave a political lesson of his own.

"In Canada we will be open to opportunities for people to express whatever views they have," he said. "There will not be opportunities to break the law, [but] we will make sure that there will be full and equal expression throughout the 2010 Olympics."

It was a diplomatic message not lost on any of the foreign reporters covering his conference.

"I would have read it that way," said Tomas Bengtsson, a reporter with Sweden's Tidningarnas Telegrambyra. "I think (the Chinese media) get so tired of people coming here and criticizing China about its human rights that they wanted to point out Canada has problems, too."

Campbell was also asked about the recent rock slide on the Sea to Sky Highway. He described the slide as "a 200-year event" and said there will be adequate contingencies in place for any problems the government foresees.

"Clearly the rock slide that took place on the Sea to Sky Highway was something that wasn't expected," he said.

Other reporters asked about whether Canada's lack of approved tourism destination status from the Chinese government will affect the Games.

"I can tell you I am always hopeful that we will receive approved destination status," he said. "But I can tell you that even without that we've seen significant increases in Chinese tourists who come to British Columbia."

Campbell also faced tough questions from several Vancouver reporters who asked about poverty and homelessness issues. He found himself talking about drug addiction, Vancouver's seedy Downtown Eastside, and the homeless and mentally ill on the streets.

It clearly wasn't what he was expecting when he announced that the new media centre, which will be built at a cost of $2.5 million, will serve upwards of 3,000 reporters and editors who can't get International Olympic Committee accreditation to the 2010 Winter Games.

In fact, none of the questions he received dealt with the new 2,600 square-metre facility that will be built at Robson Square.

He gave a terse "no" when asked if he was surprised that government-run media would zero in on the issues of poverty and free speech in Canada.

But the premier also didn't shirk from answering the questions, even though he knew that these issues would overtake his good-news message.

And he lavished praise on the Beijing Organizing Committee, saying they had put on a "stupendous" event. He said Beijing's transportation plan and its volunteer program were exceptional and he hopes the Vancouver organizing committee will take lessons from them.

Laura Ballance, who is coordinating construction and operation of the media centre, said it will go beyond anything done so far at the Olympics.

"Our facility will be extremely technically advanced," she said. "It will have everything from broadcast feeds for television to green screens [used for camera backdrops].

The facility is scheduled to open in early 2010. Some of the costs may be recovered through sponsorships and supplier partnerships, Campbell said.

jefflee@vancouversun.com
© Vancouver Sun

bils
Aug 12, 2008, 8:24 PM
B.C. Premier says Downtown Eastside will be better for 2010

ROD MICKLEBURGH

Globe and Mail Update

August 12, 2008 at 6:13 AM EDT

BEIJING — B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell vowed Tuesday that the world will see a different Downtown Eastside when it arrives for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

“I believe we will see significant improvements,” Mr. Campbell said of the notorious urban blight in the centre of the city, riddled with drug addicts, the homeless, the mentally ill, grim rooming houses and boarded-up storefronts.

“I think we are already seeing some improvements. I think we will see more. … [And] I think people who come from outside Vancouver will see communities striving to be even better.”

The Premier was responding to reporters' questions, moments after unveiling plans for a compact media centre at Robson Square in downtown Vancouver for visiting journalists not accredited by the International Olympic Committee to cover the actual events of the Winter Games.

In his prepared remarks, Mr. Campbell said that the several thousand unaccredited journalists expected to show up will play an important role describing Vancouver and British Columbia “to all corners of the globe.

“There's no better way to promote all [we] have to offer than through the eyes of journalists drawn here by the Games,” the Premier said.

But afterwards, reporters wanted to know what international journalists would think if they happen on the Downtown Eastside, not far from the site of the Games' opening and closing ceremonies, the hockey showdowns, and both media centres.

Mr. Campbell, while not denying the problems associated with Canada's poorest postal zone, said the government is working hard to make things better.

He mentioned the large Woodward's project currently under construction that will have several hundred social housing units, a dozen sites being developed specifically for social housing, government outreach programs and funds to spruce up the neighbouring areas of Gastown, Chinatown and Strathcona.

“I believe we are making some significant steps to improve the lives of those [in the Downtown Eastside],” Mr. Campbell said. “I don't see this as an area of problems. I see this as an area of possibilities.”

Earlier, Mr. Campbell had been questioned by a reporter from the state-owned China Daily, who seemed unusually conversant on Vancouver issues.

The reporter asked whether the Premier was concerned about the recent rockslide on the Sea to Sky Highway, and whether he was also worried that anti-Olympic activists from the Anti-Poverty Coalition will try to block “the road” during the Games.

Mr. Campbell said he anticipates no problem on the Sea to Sky Highway. “The rockslide was a 200-year event … and there will be contingencies in place to make sure we can move people [on the highway].”

As for the possibilities of protests disrupting the Olympics, the Premier told the Chinese reporter that there will be “open opportunities for people to express whatever views they have.

“There will not be opportunities to break the law, obviously, [but] we will make sure there is a free flow of goods, people and expression during the 2010 Olympic Games.”

The Premier seemed nettled that so many of the questions he faced concerned provincial issues far from Beijing, when he was intent on welcoming “the world” to the 2010 Winter Games.

Asked whether he was surprised by having to deal with domestic matters, Mr. Campbell said: “I've got three domestic reporters who are asking all the questions.”

The 2010 International Media Centre, to be located at centrally-located Robson Square, will cost about $2.5-million. Most of the money will come from the provincial government, with some contributed by sponsorships and supplier partnerships.

“Just as Beijing has rolled out the red carpet, so will Vancouver in 2010 welcome the world,” Mr. Campbell said. “We expect to be opening the doors in a way that will be unprecedented in our history.”

The Premier said the state-of-the-art facility will be first “green certified” international media centre ever at the Olympics, pointing to its anticipated carbon-neutral emissions and zero carbon footprint.

b5baxter
Aug 12, 2008, 8:41 PM
In fact, none of the questions he received dealt with the new 2,600 square-metre facility that will be built at Robson Square.

So, this is in addition to the media centre at the Convention Centre? Won't that one be big enough?

bils
Aug 12, 2008, 8:47 PM
i think the first article mentions this facility is for reporters who can't get IOC accreditation for the games

Yume-sama
Aug 12, 2008, 9:30 PM
Yeah, I bet the DTES will see improvements.

Homeless people? What homeless people? Oh... they're just campers! Sort of like how the smog in Beijing has given way to a nice "mist".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/06/olympics2008.china

SpongeG
Aug 12, 2008, 10:27 PM
the chinese just demolished their problems and sent them away

mr.x
Aug 12, 2008, 10:40 PM
So, this is in addition to the media centre at the Convention Centre? Won't that one be big enough?

Yup, it's in addition to the media centre. The convention centre is for the accredited media, something like 7,000 media personnel will be there including 2,000 from NBC alone. While the Robson Square media centre will be for unaccredited media for something like 3,500 personnel.

Up at Whistler, the convention centre there will be used for as the village's accredited media centre....for 3,000 people.

I'm surprised the Chinese media are paying so much attention to us, I thought nobody cared.

SpongeG
Aug 12, 2008, 11:35 PM
i think any chance they can to take a swipe at the west they do

mr.x
Aug 12, 2008, 11:46 PM
^ well, i can't blame them for their sentiment against the west. Have you seen the reports made by CNN? Fox News? It makes China look like it was being operated by the Soviet Union during the era of Stalin.

With that said, I think the reports on China done by Canadian media has been relatively fair....if this is an attack on the west, it's a shame.

bils
Aug 12, 2008, 11:56 PM
^ well, i can't blame them for their sentiment against the west. Have you seen the reports made by CNN? Fox News? It makes China look like it was being operated by the Soviet Union during the era of Stalin.

i can't agree more.... every news story about the olympics begins with

"despite the smog, ......."
"despite the controversy...."

i don't think it's unfair that the chinese would want to take a swipe back at us when it's our turn to host the olympics. there's nothing stopping them from hitting up main & hastings and broadcast our problems to billions.

mr.x
Aug 13, 2008, 12:00 AM
i can't agree more.... every news story about the olympics begins with

"despite the smog, ......."
"despite the controversy...."

i don't think it's unfair that the chinese would want to take a swipe back at us when it's our turn to host the olympics. there's nothing stopping them from hitting up main & hastings and broadcast our problems to billions.

Just look at the Vancouver Sun's main page, the whole lip synching controversy (while shameful) is being completely overblown in proportion:
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/

Nobody in the west really realizes that we're the ones keeping China stronger....just look the labels of pretty much anything and everything and it'll say "Made in China". Give some respect and dignity to the Chinese, please.

Yume-sama
Aug 13, 2008, 12:43 AM
China is probably the most patriotic Country on the face of the Earth. It is literally the "Middle Kingdom", the center of the Earth for their people, and they act like it. Anything that is said out against China by foreigners, is of course taken with GREAT offense. The actions of protesters, violent or not, are usually seen as quite obscene, and the Chinese media purposely shows them the actions of these people, such as the guy who vandalized the hotel rooms in Beijing with red paint (with English words they can't even read... good going idiot), and they wonder why they would ever want to be like them. If that is what democracy does to people, why would they ever want to have it? The Western media is quite ridiculous with the way it has been picking China apart, and you best believe the Chinese people are seeing this, and seeing it the exact opposite way that it is reported by those evil anti-Chinese foreigners ;)

Nothing stirs up patriotic feelings more than somebody speaking out against you. Just look at our forums and the city battles :P

Hourglass
Aug 13, 2008, 4:08 AM
There does seem to be double-standards from some Western media when it comes to reporting on China. Unfortunately, for the Chinese, it stings all the more since it wasn't all that long ago that they suffered at the hands of the West. For example, the Old Summer Palace was completely destroyed at the hands of British and French troops. This would be like razing Versailles or the Louvre.

What a lot of people forget is that many people in China can and do access overseas websites and news media, so they have the benefit of seeing what the state-run media -- the so-called "mouthpieces of the Communist Party" -- says, and compare it to other sources. So even if it's not reported in the Chinese press, people would be aware of some of the criticism