PDA

View Full Version : Drawing in question...

Ronnie Garrett
Oct 1, 2003, 7:59 PM
I really hate posting these, because I always feel bad, especially about the author in question, whom I won't name here. But I need to question a diagram that looks very similar to mine...

Bank One Center of Indianapolis...

Mine
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=325&drawingID=13743

The one in question...
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=325&drawingID=16578

I realize mine is angled and the other is not, but the floors are all identical in pixel height and spacing all the way up to the top floor. Even the bottom 3 floors are the same as mine...which I find strange. I made them up as I have never seen the bottom of this building before...

It's easier to tell if you compare them side by side and zoomed...
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?b325

LMich
Oct 1, 2003, 8:20 PM
Maybe the drawer of this building simply counted the pixels of your bottom floors since there is no photo of the base that I know of, and used it for reference. That's not cheating is it? It would be different if he used part of your drawing or drew over this, but this is alright isn't it? Kelvin? Dylan?

Born Pure Philly
Oct 1, 2003, 8:23 PM
i think it's fine the person didn't copy

James Raymond
Oct 1, 2003, 10:15 PM
Trust me, I didn't copy it. I worked for three hours on it. Plus, I've been to the Bank One Center a couple times.

GuyedGuy
Oct 1, 2003, 10:21 PM
i find out even if i don't use other drawings for reference that my windows come out to have the same exact deminsions as others.

Kelvin
Oct 2, 2003, 12:44 AM
While it does bear similarity, simply using another diagram as a visual guide to help proportion one's own is not copying (as it relates to infringing on someone else's work). The colours appear to be distinctive as well.

M. Klatt
Oct 2, 2003, 12:51 AM
copy or not - one of the two must be wrong .....

James Raymond
Oct 2, 2003, 12:59 AM
I'm wondering why this is even an issue, considering it's a completely original drawing.

LMich
Oct 2, 2003, 2:24 AM
What do you mean one of them is wrong, Marco?

M. Klatt
Oct 2, 2003, 3:05 AM
compare the two Drawings - you'll see it

i highlighted it here:

LMich
Oct 2, 2003, 3:13 AM
On the straight on view, the illustrator didn't put in the setbacks on that side. So that one is wrong. While the setback would be much lighter since the sun is hitting it from that side, it would still be visible.

Taylordaman
Oct 2, 2003, 4:29 AM
Good eye. I never noticed that until you mentioned it and that might be proof that it isn't a copy.

James Raymond
Oct 2, 2003, 12:31 PM
The setback's there. Zoom in. It's very light, but there.

John Hinds
Oct 2, 2003, 2:11 PM
I don't see what the problem is.

denverite didn't know what the base was like so he drew it the same way as Ronnie did.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Buck
Oct 2, 2003, 9:20 PM
The bottom of the crown as well as the middle band is different- so I am leaning towards that it is not a copy.

Ronnie Garrett
Oct 2, 2003, 9:24 PM
See...I knew it. I feel bad for making this post! :sly
Hey, if you say it wasn't than that's good enough for me!

Actually, I just went to Indy for a foosball tournament a few weeks ago and while there, went downtown and checked out some buildings. As it turns out a lot of buildings there are way off, which I am now correcting.

Hey James, I got some photos of the bottom of Bank One Center, and will send you them to make up for this post, ok? ;)

James Raymond
Oct 2, 2003, 10:44 PM
Sounds good! I'll be expecting them.:)