PDA

View Full Version : Singapore to host first ever Youth Olympics in 2010

mr.x
Feb 22, 2008, 2:38 AM
Not quite 2010 related, but it's the first Youth Olympic Games ever and it'll happen a few months after Vancouver 2010.

As well, the first ever Youth Winter Olympic Games (2012) host city will be chosen in two years.

Singapore to host the 1st Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2010

By Karolos Grohmann
The Guardian UK

ATHENS, Feb 21 (Reuters) - Singapore will host the first Youth Olympics in 2010 after the city-state won 53 out of 97 postal votes, International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Jacques Rogge announced on Thursday.
Wild celebrations erupted in Singapore immediately after the announcement with more than 6,000 people watching Rogge on outdoor TV screens pull out the winner's name from an envelope.

The new event, which is Rogge's brainchild, is designed to generate enthusiasm among the world's teenagers who in recent years have turned away from the Games in greater numbers raising the average age of Olympics' television viewers.

Rogge read out the winner's name at a ceremony held inside the Olympic Museum in Lausanne, Switzerland.

"This is a key moment for the Olympic Movement", Rogge told reporters. "Singapore has put together a very exciting project.

"Hosting the Youth Olympic Games for the first time is a great responsibility, and I have every confidence in the team in Singapore."

MOSCOW DISAPPOINTED

Moscow won 44 votes and Alexander Chernov, director of the losing bid, said that although he was disappointed he did not think the voting was political.
"Probably the majority of the IOC members thought giving two Olympics to one country in such a short time would be too much," he told Reuters.
Russia's Black Sea resort of Sochi was last year chosen to host the 2014 Winter Games.

Singapore will host a Youth Games that will have about 3,200 athletes, aged 14-18, competing in 26 sports and will cost about $30 million.
Some 800 judges, referees and delegation officials for the summer editions will also be young people.

"This is a great honour for all of us," said Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong at an outdoor rally of cheering Singaporeans dressed in the national colour of red.

"We will be the focus of a new era of sports development. We worked hard to achieve the dream despite the odds."

Singapore has only won one Olympic medal since 1960 but has twice hosted the biennial Southeast Asian Games, with more athletes than the Youth Olympics, and will host them again in 2013.

"I'm a bit surprised and very excited because it is a chance for people from all over the world to gather in Singapore and see what we have to offer," said Rafiuddian Sawal, a student who dressed as an ancient Greek soldier to commemorate the event.

Key moment for the Olympic Movement
“This is a key moment for the Olympic Movement”, said Rogge to journalists present in Lausanne. “Singapore has put together a very exciting project. Hosting the Youth Olympic Games for the first time is a great responsibility, and I have every confidence in the team in Singapore. I have no doubt that their professionalism and enthusiasm will be instrumental in the staging of successful Youth Olympic Games in 2010”, he continued.

IOC flagship for young people
“The Youth Olympic Games are the flagship of the IOC’s determination to reach out to young people. These Games will not only be about competition. They will also be the platform through which youngsters will learn about Olympic values and the benefits of sport, and share their experiences with other communities around the globe. We are looking forward to joining in the celebration in Singapore in 2010,” Rogge added.

From 14 to 18
The Youth Olympic Games aim to bring together talented athletes – aged 14 to 18 – from around the world to participate in high-level competitions and, alongside the sports element of the event, educational programmes on the Olympic values, the benefits of sport for a healthy lifestyle, the social values sport can deliver, and the dangers of doping and training to excess and/or inactivity.

3,200 athletes in Singapore
The 1st Summer Youth Olympic Games in Singapore will bring together approximately 3,200 athletes and 800 officials. The sports programme will encompass all sports on the programme of the 2012 Summer Games with a limited number of disciplines and events.

Policy Wonk
Feb 25, 2008, 6:01 AM
Why can't the APC go protest this?

deasine
Feb 25, 2008, 7:24 AM

they're too poor to travel and protest there =)

Nutterbug
Feb 25, 2008, 9:20 AM
How often will these Youth Olympics be held?

I think it should be an annual event and not quadrennial, otherwise it would be unfair that they would coincide with some atheletes' peak years, but not others'.

Nutterbug
Feb 25, 2008, 9:21 AM

Because Singapore doesn't take too kindly to their likes.

'Tis the place where they administer cane lashings to vandals, and execution for drug offenses.

Yume-sama
Feb 25, 2008, 9:38 PM
Because Singapore doesn't take too kindly to their likes.

'Tis the place where they administer cane lashings to vandals, and execution for drug offenses.

The kindly worded warnings of executions for drug offenses that you receive as a pamphlet on airplanes is quite nice, though.

twoNeurons
Feb 25, 2008, 10:19 PM
This seems strange to me. There have been 16 year old Gold Medalists in the regular olympics.

It seems like a cash grab to me.

Sad that the Olympics are more and more about scandal, money, status and nationalism than what they purport to be (Uniting people through sport)

Nutterbug
Feb 26, 2008, 12:11 AM
This seems strange to me. There have been 16 year old Gold Medalists in the regular olympics.

Makes as much sense as having both a World Cup and an U20 World Cup.

mr.x
Feb 26, 2008, 12:13 AM

It has more to do with the IOC trying to recapture youth interest and awareness of the Olympic movement....though this does little in my opinion.

Nutterbug
Feb 26, 2008, 12:58 AM
Hopefully, it's be lower profile and less expensive to hold than the adult Olympics.

I just hope its focus remains on the sports and doesn't turn into a huge corporate orgy quite to its extent either.

crazyjoeda
Feb 26, 2008, 1:08 AM

Why don't we protest the APC. Someone should start the AAPC (The Anti, Anti-Poverty Committee).