PDA

View Full Version : NBC head praises Vanoc's job

SpongeG
Feb 17, 2008, 5:52 AM
NBC head praises Vanoc's job

Dick Ebersol credits Olympic organizing committee CEO Furlong for smooth planning

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/idl/vasn/20080214/116092-36086.jpg?size=l
CREDIT: Steve Bosch, Vancouver Sun
Dick Ebersol, head of Sports and Olympics for NBC, which has broadcast rights.

When Dick Ebersol, the head of NBC Sports and Olympics, was last in Vancouver in May 2004, he related to an assembly of business leaders how he bet $2.2 billion of his company's money on the expectation that Vancouver would win the 2010 Winter Games.

The broadcast rights bid was submitted to the International Olympic Committee just 25 days before IOC members were to choose in July 2003 between Vancouver, Pyeongchang, South Korea, and Salzburg, Austria.

And even though he was certain the IOC would pick Canada, Ebersol was stunned when IOC members came within two votes of awarding the Games to South Korea.

It was, he said, a sobering reminder the Olympics is still a rough-and-tumble place for politics.

But on Wednesday, as he sat in a lounge at the Pan Pacific Hotel overlooking the new half-finished Vancouver Trade and Convention Centre, from which NBC will broadcast the 2010 Games, Ebersol said he believes Vancouver has broken a political mould that's often afflicted the Games.

The organizing committee and its partners, he asserted, have achieved what precious few Olympic organizing committees have managed to do.

"I see an organizing committee that at this stage of the Games has done an unbelievable job of getting all the right things stirred up. The single biggest surprise for me is just how strong a Canadian team is going to come in here because of the union between the federal government, the Canadian Olympic Committee and Vanoc."

Ebersol, 60, returned to B.C. this week to participate in a Vanoc sponsorship conference and to tour some of the sporting venues, as well as the new convention centre. It was his first trip here since an aircraft accident in November 2004 in Colorado killed his 14-year-old son Teddy and severely injured Ebersol and another son, Charles.

Ebersol wields broad influence in the Olympics. NBC's television contracts and the sponsorship by its parent company, General Electric, are major sources of revenues for the IOC.

So when Ebersol says Canada is doing an unusually good job of organizing the Games, it's a comfort to both Vanoc and the IOC.

He didn't pull punches Wednesday when he said the stable Canadian organization is in stark contrast to the politics plagued 2006 Winter Games in Turin, Italy. "We just saw in Torino what happens when a federal government really doesn't get behind the Games in a really big way and when the national Olympic Committee doesn't really promote the Games.

"The Italians had a very, very mediocre return for their team, and as a result the country never got caught up in the Games and the crowds were lethargic. That's not the case here. These things don't work this well all the time."

Ebersol credits much of that achievement to Vanoc president John Furlong, whom he described as "sort of like the Billy Graham of organizers."

"There seems to be something unique here, and if I had to put my finger on it, it would be Furlong," Ebersol said. "I am not a cheerleader. But Furlong's a really unique guy."

Ebersol said he watched the Vanoc CEO passionately talk to 200 sponsors on the joy and value of the Olympics.

"He sits there with no notes and does 30 minutes and leaves them wanting more. And all think they are in the best hands in the world, and you know what, they probably are."

When asked, Ebersol said he doesn't believe he paid too much for the rights to 2010. But the slumping U.S. economy isn't helping NBC's fortunes, especially when a 30-second spot in prime time sells for $750,000.

"I think it was a good investment, but the issue is that the Olympics, on the scale they are now in terms of rights, are not a prime business decision by any business standards," he explained.

"You buy into the Olympics because it is the most prestigious event organized in the world every two years. Whether or not you make money or don't make money is largely tied up in the economics of your country. So my hope will be that in two years our economy will recover enough to support this."

Ebersol said he lobbied to convince Vanoc to move the International Broadcast Centre from Richmond, as originally planned, to Vancouver's new harbourfront convention centre just to the west of the existing five-sails exhibition centre.

"I told Vanoc what they should want broadcasters to see is this beautiful vista of the water and the mountains," he said, sweeping his hand out across Vancouver harbour. "Why would you want to put broadcasters out in Richmond when they could see this instead?"

Ebersol doesn't yet know how much programming NBC will do for the Vancouver Olympics, but says it will be significant. And because Vancouver is favourable to North American time zones, almost all of coverage during prime time will be live.

jefflee@png.canwest.com

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=f83fbeac-41d9-4086-9e48-9c268737f153

mr.x
Feb 17, 2008, 6:46 AM
This is definitely a great indication of a great Games, well done VANOC!

NBC will be spending US$100 million in Vancouver, will bring a crew of 1,800 people here to broadcast the Games, and will hire an additional 1,000 locals to assist.

Olympics providing venue for developing B.C. broadcast talent
Olympic Broadcasting Services to offer internships to up to 400 B.C. students. NBC may hire as many as 1,000 locals to prepare its broadcasts for the U.S. market.

Derrick Penner, Vancouver Sun
Published: Monday, February 11, 2008

Official Olympic broadcasters will bring thousands of technicians to Vancouver for the 2010 Games, hire hundreds more locally and even create some technical talent to help televise the Olympics for a global audience of billions.

The International Olympic Committee's in-house producer of pooled competition footage at the Games will work with local colleges and universities to provide training to 600 students, Nancy Lee, chief operating officer for Olympic Broadcasting Services said Monday at a business workshop in Vancouver.

And of those students, Lee said 300 to 400 will be hired as a sort of internship at the 2010 Olympics.

"They're not likely to be camera No. 1 for hockey ," but OBS has a history of putting such students to work in technical capacities. And the initiative speaks to the needs broadcasters will have when they arrive in Vancouver, which won't be too far along the calendar.

Speaking Monday at the 2010 Commerce Centre's business summit at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, Brett Goodland, senior vice-president of strategic and business affairs at [B]NBC Universal sports and Olympics, said his company will bring 1,800 people to Vancouver and hire as many as 1,000 local people to prepare its broadcasts for the U.S. market.

NBC will spend $40 million in the process on catering services, transportation, guides and a multitude of other services.

deasine
Feb 17, 2008, 7:33 AM
Wow... Good to see NBC liking our performance, and I have to say that we are doing pretty well compared to many other olympic organizations in the past. Ahead in schedule, relatively low budget, what else can you ask for?

mr.x
Feb 17, 2008, 9:11 AM
Wow... Good to see NBC liking our performance, and I have to say that we are doing pretty well compared to many other olympic organizations in the past. Ahead in schedule, relatively low budget, what else can you ask for?

We're light years ahead of past organizing comittees...Athens was in the red and way behind its schedule. Salt Lake faced corruption problems (interestingly to note, 2008 Republican Presidential candidate MICK ROMNEY was Salt Lake's new CEO after the organizing committee scandal). Torino faced issues with regards to a severe lack of interest by the Italian public, the federal government, corporate sponsors, red figures, and major scheduling issues.

At this rate, we will become the Sydney 2000 of the Winter Games.:cheers:

canucks23
Feb 17, 2008, 10:42 AM
At this rate, we will become the Sydney 2000 of the Winter Games.

At my age during the 2000 summer Olympics I never really followed the games, but what was it that made Sydney more outstanding than previous and other summer Olympic games?

subdude
Feb 17, 2008, 5:10 PM
Australia is the perfect spot/climate for a summer Olympics, everything went smoothly, the Australian swim team were on fire and the people of Australia really got into it. I remember the IOC said they wish they could hold every summer games there.

Yume-sama
Feb 17, 2008, 7:34 PM
Australia is the perfect spot/climate for a summer Olympics, everything went smoothly, the Australian swim team were on fire and the people of Australia really got into it. I remember the IOC said they wish they could hold every summer games there.

They may as well. Only people in that part of the World actually care about the Summer Olympics. :yes:

mr.x
Feb 17, 2008, 8:52 PM

Thus why Sammaranch said "The Best Games Ever!":notacrook: