PDA

View Full Version : Peace Arch News SkyScraper Poll

canucks23
Feb 11, 2008, 11:12 PM
Everyone! The Peace Arch News has a poll in the news paper asking if the public likes having skyscrapers in the city now that the two Mirramar towers are almost complete. As of right now, the greatest opinion is NO! ( by WAY too much) We need your help to respond Yes!

http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_area/peacearchnews/opinion/

SFUVancouver
Feb 11, 2008, 11:21 PM
Their poll is broken.

Jacques
Feb 11, 2008, 11:36 PM
poll isn't working, sorry! anyway I voted yes

SpongeG
Feb 11, 2008, 11:37 PM
isn't working?

I just voted yes seemed to work for me

101 - no
27 - yes

canucks23
Feb 12, 2008, 3:19 AM
Man, I don't get why the people in white rock hate skyscrapers so much. Whats the big deal? Is it because they are old people? Anyways it really pisses me off.

SpongeG
Feb 12, 2008, 3:22 AM
they want white rock to be some quaint little village by the sea

canucks23
Feb 12, 2008, 3:45 AM
But even with high rises in its town center, it still will be a quaint village by the sea. In my opinion, the new towers enhance the small town feel effect for the rest of the city while uptown will have a new laid-back urban vibe.

Anyways, South Surrey just across the street is growing rapidly, so losing that village feel is inevitable.

crazyjoeda
Feb 12, 2008, 5:08 AM
I live in South Surrey, and I am not a fan of the new developments in this area, because for the most part it is the wrong type of development. This area is becoming a sprawl of mid-density homes surrounded by big box retail. No transit routes have been added (the fares have increased though) and people are slaves to their cars. The high rise development in White Rock is good. Miramar Village is on a major bus route that conveniently connects White Rock with downtown Vancouver and Surrey Centre; the development is also walking distance to major shopping areas and the beach. Miramar will revitalize White Rocks core which looks looks like a ghost town when compared to the Surrey side of Johnston Rd.

The development going on along 24th Avenue is terrible; the city of Surrey's lack of planning is a blight on what would otherwise be a nice area. I currently live in South Surrey, but I would never move to a sprawling development like Morgan Creek.

canucks23
Feb 12, 2008, 5:42 AM
I live in South Surrey too. I totally agree with you. We have enough mid-rise buildings, where are the high rises? Is there really going to be the redevelopment of semiahmoo mall with all the high rises? Miramar village is amazing for white rock, its too bad that so many people here are too stubborn to realize that.

mr.x
Feb 12, 2008, 5:46 AM
^ i agree with you. and NIMBY stands for Not In My Backyard.

canucks23
Feb 12, 2008, 5:48 AM
^ yeah I just searched for NIMBY on wikipedia. Im not sure why I dint think of that before.:haha:

canucks23
Feb 12, 2008, 5:02 PM
Alright! Thanks guys! I was just checking the poll again and it doesn't seem to be so one sided now.