PDA

View Full Version : Saving Vancouver's Japantown

Rusty Gull
Feb 4, 2008, 6:22 AM
It looks like the City of Vancouver is heeding calls to preserve some of the heritage in the deteriorating Japantown neighbourhood, situated off of Oppenheimer Park in the Downtown Eastside.

A presentation on this initiative is slated for Feb 5 at the Japanese Hall, at 6:30... for those interested.

From the City's website:

POWELL STREET - HISTORICAL AND CULTURAL REVIEW

The objective is to achieve a greater understanding of the area’s historical and cultural components that ultimately will allow for a more comprehensive planning strategy to be developed.

The intent is to discover what is of importance to the community from an architectural, historical, cultural, social and spiritual perspective. A context statement is derived from these values; broader themes are developed and priority places are identified that reflect the themes. This will include community consultation.

Historic Resources and Cultural Importance

There are 53 buildings and one site (Oppenheimer Park) within the study area identified as worthy of further evaluation: 21 are on the Vancouver Heritage Register, and seven are legally protected. Within this there are several distinct areas: the Powell Street commercial corridor, the religious, cultural and institutional uses along Cordova and Alexander Street and remnants of original housing around the perimeter.

The two most significant cultural groups are the Japanese-Canadian community that settled here beginning in the 1890s and whose businesses thrived in the early 1900s, and First Nations communities that have called this home for a number of decades. It remains a distinctly working-class neighbourhood, proud of its identity, with a strong immigrant component.

The review of the area’s historical and cultural significance is based on this context.

mr.x
Feb 4, 2008, 6:29 AM
we have a Japantown?

deasine
Feb 4, 2008, 6:33 AM
correction: had

Even though it's nice to see that the city has planned to restore Japantown and the DTES, I had enough talking - we need more doing...

Yume-sama
Feb 4, 2008, 6:44 AM
I had no idea there was a Japantown. I bet it was immaculately beautiful and smelled of green tea.

deasine
Feb 4, 2008, 6:49 AM
and fresh sashimi please!

worldwide
Feb 4, 2008, 7:41 AM
does the powell street festival still happen?

Overground
Feb 4, 2008, 8:10 AM
Yip, Aug 2-3 but apparently it's temporarily moved this year to Woodland Park near Clark and Hastings because of work being done to Oppenheimer Park. I love going because it reminds me of going to many festivals when I lived in Japan.

SpongeG
Feb 4, 2008, 10:28 PM
we went on a tour in the 80's and they took us through japantown

not that there was anything to distinguish it than either

but since than i always knew abiout japantown