PDA

View Full Version : Coffee with Paul Hillsdon

mr.x
Jan 22, 2008, 4:43 AM
An interesting article about one of our fellow members:

COFFEE WITH: Paul Hillsdon
By Jeff Nagel - Surrey North Delta Leader - January 20, 2008

Who is Paul Hillsdon and how long before he’s Supreme Ruler of TransLink?:tup:

That’s my question as I go to meet him at a local coffee shop.

Hillsdon is a Surrey blogger, writing mainly about regional transportation and technology, and since spotting his posts in mid-2007 his site (www.paulhillsdon.com) has been a must-read web stop.

Many a blogger merely links to other posts or news on line, adding little new commentary.

Not Mr. Hillsdon, who often breaks fresh ground and sometimes launches entire self-generated transportation plans that should take a small army of consultants to produce.

His latest opus is Transit Metropolis Vancouver, his own vision for rapid transit expansion in Metro Vancouver.

It follows his Surrey Cycling Initiative, which impressed staff at city hall, and his rival version of TransLink’s South of Fraser Area Transit Plan, which observer Gordon Price called “astonishing.”

Oh, and did I mention? He’s only 17.

As I arrive, he’s closing his white Mac laptop and we introduce ourselves.

As a transit-dependent student growing up in Cloverdale, he has no shortage of ideas to improve the system.

“A lot of it’s just subconscious things I think about and then connect the dots,” he tells me. “Reading multiple strategies from different cities, basically taking best practices and putting them together.”

He has showered TransLink with innovative proposals to improve their net presence through everything from podcasts to text service alerts.

For 45 minutes our conversation meanders through the merits of FaceBook, the new TransLink structure and the province’s Gateway plans.

(He doesn’t outright oppose the twinning of the Port Mann Bridge, but says the tolls should go to transit, not the private partner.)

I rub my eyes and try to comprehend.

My high school pals burned up adolescent neurons designing Dungeons and Dragons game maps. Future members of Kiss spent their class time designing the ultimate arena rock stage. Johah Hill’s character in the movie Superbad endlessly doodles the male anatomy.

But for Hillsdon, it’s concocting Metro Vancouver’s perfect transit system.

He admits he’s not like most of his friends.

School was never interesting enough.

A French immersion student, he progressed quickly and by junior high teachers let him partly design his own curriculum.

By Grade 10, it still wasn’t enough and he just stopped going.

“I got fed up with it and I realized that I’m not going to do something that I don’t think is worth my time.”

He’s now finishing Grade 12 by online correspondence and helped found the Surrey Leadership Youth Council.

Long studies at university aren’t as appealing as continuing to follow his vision.

The path may lead to the political arena.

He pulls out a notebook, in which he has mapped out key planks of a possible platform for November’s civic election.

“It’s been bubbling in my mind, maybe looking at council,” he says. “But I’ll only be 18. I could get the youth vote maybe – nobody else has it.”

Surprisingly, no political parties or city council members have yet cozied up to him – or even returned his emails.

They may regret ignoring a talented young man whose personal motto is “playing small does not serve the world.”

He truly does have talent, and the brains....just look at his self-made Transit Plan for Metro Vancouver (which rivals that of Translink's professionals): http://www.paulhillsdon.com/blog/2008/01/17/introducing-transit-metropolis-vancouver/

Canadian Mind
Jan 22, 2008, 4:56 AM
One of our felow members?

Show yourself!

Rusty Gull
Jan 22, 2008, 5:07 AM
He also maintains a transportation blog:

http://www.paulhillsdon.com/blog

deasine
Jan 22, 2008, 6:58 AM
Hahaha I know who he is... that's why u ppl should attend Transit Vancouver or stalk him through facebook (that's not me btw)

I don't mean to offend u Paul =)

paradigm4
Jan 22, 2008, 8:14 AM
Oh noes! You've outed me mr. x!

Glad to know I have support on this forum :) And yes, as deasine, said, this is why you guys should have attended TransitCamp!

Frankly, I may maintain my blog and whatnot, but I know for a fact that it's not nearly as detailed an analysis on transportation as several other members of SSP could do. In fact, I would highly encourage anyone here to start blogging; very powerful medium - just don't go into it for the wrong reason, like attention or money cause it doesn't work like that.

And yes, if anyone ever wants to talk, I'm just a PM away or feel free to email me. Also love comments on the blog naturally!

I just wish I had done my hair for the article now...

The_Henry_Man
Jan 22, 2008, 8:14 AM
NVM.....lol
I was about to write something, but you've beat me to it Paul!!

raggedy13
Jan 22, 2008, 10:20 AM
Very impressive Paul. Quite a positive article you managed to get there. I admit I hadn't heard of you or your blog before... apparently you aren't advertised enough here on SSP... until now. ;)

Regarding your Transit Metropolis map, I have a few questions. Perhaps they're already answered somewhere on your blog but oh well. Having grown up in the South Surrey/White Rock area, I was curious about your chosen route for the peninsula:

First, it would appear that the chosen alignment follows the current railroad tracks along the water, so is this seen as a commuter rail line that meets up with the current Skytrain system in some way or is this a Skytrain extension?

Second, aside from the obvious right of way associated with this alignment, was there any other reasoning behind choosing this? In terms of proximity to population centers, it hits the Crescent Beach and White Rock Beach areas which are fairly healthy/vibrant areas in their own right, but it is somewhat off the mark in terms of proximity to the major retail/employment/residential area of Semiahmoo Town Centre, well up the hill from White Rock Beach (far from a reasonable walking distance)...

...which leads me to my third question... do you see this route garnering optimal ridership when there are only two (maybe three) logical stops/stations in the area - one at Crescent Beach and one or two (one at west beach and one at east beach?) along White Rock Beach? Also there is the consideration that the majority of the settlement on the peninsula is elevated at the tops of cliffs above much of the route along the water. Therefore mass access is limited to the aforementioned beach access areas, requiring much of the peninsula's population to find less sustainable means to get themselves to these stations (such as driving).

Also, it would seem that with such a route the potential for transit oriented development would be minimal, being logically restricted to the two beach areas which a) have little space for larger scale developments due to steep surrounding hills b) have an unstable geological formation based upon sediment deposition (like Richmond), and c) have a well-established and much liked village or beach strip character/charm associated with them that would garner significant NIMBY opposition to such development.

I would suggest that a route down King George that then turns onto 152nd Street at their intersection and then continues on into the heart of Semiahmoo Town Centre would be a more suitable alignment for both the short term (proximity to more significant population/employment concentration) and long term (much greater potential for redevelopment/increase in density). Potentially the line could turn west down 16th at 152nd and head through the North Bluff and Ocean Park neighbourhoods as well (which also have potential for denser development in the future) and maybe even as far as to Crescent Beach (like the current 351 - Crescent Beach to Vancouver - bus route).

Another alternative I've always thought might be suitable for the area is a Skytrain line that terminates in Semiahmoo Town Centre with a street car line or two that circulate about the peninsula acting as a feeder to the Skytrain system.

Anyways, I'm sure the White Rock area is rather insignificant and trivial in most of the metro's minds (and is likely to be one of the last places to get rapid transit) but I figured those are some things you might want to consider in the event that you are always looking for feedback on aspects of your plan.

Anywho, looks like a great map. I'd best be off to bed now.

Canadian Mind
Jan 22, 2008, 5:23 PM

Glad to know I have support on this forum :) And yes, as deasine, said, this is why you guys should have attended TransitCamp!

Frankly, I may maintain my blog and whatnot, but I know for a fact that it's not nearly as detailed an analysis on transportation as several other members of SSP could do. In fact, I would highly encourage anyone here to start blogging; very powerful medium - just don't go into it for the wrong reason, like attention or money cause it doesn't work like that.

And yes, if anyone ever wants to talk, I'm just a PM away or feel free to email me. Also love comments on the blog naturally!

Wholly Fuck!!!:banana: Good job dude! I'd make a big post like the rest of the members (Raggedy), but i haven't got the time nor the knowledge backing.

Yea, shoulda go a haircut dude... -.-

great job man, good to know someone my ae inspires people.:tup:

paradigm4
Jan 22, 2008, 7:48 PM
Regarding your Transit Metropolis map, I have a few questions. Perhaps they're already answered somewhere on your blog but oh well. Having grown up in the South Surrey/White Rock area, I was curious about your chosen route for the peninsula:

You are right, I somewhat skimped on choosing the ideal route for WR, since it's the one area of the region I don't have the most experience with. To me, it was either the existing corridor or it was a new one either along KGH or 152.

I chose the existing rail corridor (with the idea of it being an LRT mind you), just for a handful of reasons, not particularly supporting it as a better route than the alternatives.

First off, WR citizens have been trying to get rid of the rail cars from that whole section for a long time. Theoretically, if BNSF (?) were to sell that strip of rail to the government in exchange for a subsidy on a new, straighter route (perhaps near KGH or Hwy 99?), then this corridor is now perfect for some form of transit. A new, more direct rail line for BNSF would also help speeds if the BC government ever gets it's act together for high speed rail. So there's that.

Secondly, I took a little bit of consideration into who might use for route. I will admit that I looked at it from the perspective of a commuter from North Surrey/Vancouver to WR, and not the other way around. That said, as I understand it, most people in the WR/SS area are either headed to North Surrey, or Richmond/Vancouver. This LRT obviously is only good for North to South Surrey commuting.

Now, choosing this route gives it a good historic and touristy aspect. Not only are you getting wonderful views of Boundary Bay, and stops at two of the most popular beaches in the region - you are also stopping in the heart of White Rock. Huge boost to local business for sure.

So, one could argue either one for either route I suppose. But, those are my basic reasons for choosing that alignment. I'm sure the advantages to one on 152nd are just as good, so it's not like I'm not at all willing to change my mind. Basically, it seemed like we could get LRT down there for cheaper and it might be a bit more successful, if the beach route was taken :)

raggedy13
Jan 23, 2008, 4:45 AM
^Thanks for the explanation. You definitely make a good point about the touristy aspect of that alignment. It would make for a pretty scenic trip. It would also probably fit well in that regard in the beach neighbourhoods and help generate more visitors for those areas (particularly in the summer).

I guess I was just looking at it purely from a commuter perspective. Although in this respect I would still stand by the idea of an alignment through Semiahmoo Town Centre. You've given me more to think about though so thanks for the reply. I wouldn't have expected to get into it so much in my last post but a few drinks really loosens up my tongue (...fingers?).

mr.x
Jan 23, 2008, 5:19 AM

TransitCamp....ahhh, i remember thinking about going but then deciding not to because of mid-terms. It sounded interesting, but I wasn't exactly sure what we were going to do there...I rarely ever attend public meetings, consultations, etc.

I was a huge blogger way back in the day when Xanga had just become famous, haven't touched that account since...

And yes, you should've done your hair! What were you thinking?!!!!

BTW, congrats!:cheers:

Jared
Jan 24, 2008, 1:24 AM
What is this TransitCamp everyone is talking about?

Anyways, congrats Paul. It's great that you're actually taking the next step and communicating with people in charge, something that most on here (myself included) rarely do. I've wondered whether the Vancouver forumers should form something similar to Vibrant Victoria or Calary Urban Initiative. NIMBYS organize and lobby, so I don't see why we couldn't if something major was coming up.

Oh, and based on your blog, I'd vote for you if you were running for council in my city. :)

deasine
Jan 24, 2008, 7:01 PM
http://vancouver.transitcamp.org/wiki/

It's sort of like a "transit workshop" where people get together to discuss about ways to improve our current transit system. I was only there for a short period of time and I found it very interesting.

Jared
Jan 25, 2008, 2:18 AM
Pity I missed that.

I'll be there next year...

deasine
Jan 25, 2008, 3:49 AM
I hope there is a next year. I'll be there for the ENTIRE session.