PDA

View Full Version : General Update/Rumour thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

harls
Jul 22, 2008, 7:33 PM
Shoppers Drug Mart are really going nuts these days. Their Quebec banner Pharmaprix just opened a huge pharmacy about 2 km from my place last year and a sign is announcing another one soon to be under construction about 1 km from my place in the other direction. I'm going to be completely surrounded!

One of those has to be the one at Hôpital and La Vérendrye, right? what is the other one.. the one on Gréber/de la Savane that moved over next door?

adam-machiavelli
Jul 22, 2008, 7:41 PM
I think we should write nasty individual letters to every house on the block informing them of their elitism or we should start a loud protest on their little, quiet side street.

But seriously, considering the cost of the units would start at $885,000, I think the incoming residents would be a bit more elitist than the existing residents, or if not elitist, then yuppie. Practically speaking though, I'd prefer yuppies over elitists.

Acajack
Jul 23, 2008, 1:36 PM
One of those has to be the one at Hôpital and La Vérendrye, right? what is the other one.. the one on Gréber/de la Savane that moved over next door?

This is getting spooky - sounds like Harls knows exactly where I live!

The first Pharmaprix in front of the hospital is correct.

The second, new one will be at the corner of Gréber and Montée Paiement (near the Paiement exit off the 50).

Come to think of it, the third Pharmaprix at Gréber/de la Savane is pretty close to my place as well...

harls
Jul 23, 2008, 4:04 PM
Ha.. I was just there in that area a couple of weeks ago.. don't worry, I don't know where you live. ;)

kwoldtimer
Jul 23, 2008, 5:30 PM
I think we should write nasty individual letters to every house on the block informing them of their elitism or we should start a loud protest on their little, quiet side street.

But seriously, considering the cost of the units would start at $885,000, I think the incoming residents would be a bit more elitist than the existing residents, or if not elitist, then yuppie. Practically speaking though, I'd prefer yuppies over elitists.

Hmmm .... elitist or yuppie? Which is worse? And how do you tell them apart? :shrug: :jester:

c_speed3108
Jul 23, 2008, 5:55 PM
Hmmm .... elitist or yuppie? Which is worse? And how do you tell them apart? :shrug: :jester:

I think part of the problem may be the perception of townhouses:

I think people may get the vision of the 1970 or 1980's vinyl ugly, el cheapo, crappy looking housing development.

The modern reality is a freehold, large, brick, with a garage and all the fix'ins and features.

A friend of mine just bought one from Minto that is 1/4 the price of the ones here and larger than many single family homes. Brick front 2.5 bathrooms etc...

Acajack
Jul 24, 2008, 8:33 PM
The new roundabouts in Hull (Allumettières blvd) are pretty dangerous.. the crosswalks are just outside of the circles, and even though they have lights, most people just fly right through them as they come out of the roundabout..

Maybe that's because no one here knows how to drive through one properly (yet).

The crosswalks are one problem. The other is that there are too many roundabouts. There should have only been one roundabout at the major intersection with an arterial road which is St-Joseph, but they went and added two at two dinky little local streets (Labelle and Demontigny). At the very least (or the very most I guess) the roundabouts it should have been limited to just one of these local streets only, plus St-Joseph.

But I guess given the history behind this project, they had to kowtow to local residents a bit to smooth things over.

waterloowarrior
Jul 28, 2008, 11:41 PM
demolition of all structures at 150 Slater (aka 227 Laurier)
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__6BWL7N

supposed to be the new EDC HQ

http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/291989666805969.php

O'Connor at Slater - Rumoured
350,000 sq ft. commercial tower of unknown height rumoured to be in the works
Developer: Brouse Holdings

FotoChick
Jul 29, 2008, 7:25 PM
But it looks like Richcraft owns:

-228-242 Besserer (are we sure this is Richcraft? Someone mentioned above that it is but I'm not sure if that's confirmed)

After doing some snooping, I've confirmed that Richcraft owns those lots. The development would share Galleria's below-grade parking.

I found that Richcraft just closed on 242 Besserer in June and 228 Besserer closed back in August of 2006.

waterloowarrior
Jul 30, 2008, 8:44 PM
News Story Ongoing development applications
By Ottawa Business Journal Staff (info_obj@transcontinental.ca)
Wed, Jul 30, 2008 3:00 PM EST

Ward 13 – Rideau Rockliffe

50 QUEEN VICTORIA ST. (Site plan control)
Principals: Larco Corp.; David Mailing Architect
Review status: Approval authority elevated to committee
Status date: June 13, 2008
Description: To permit the demolition of the existing dwelling and the development of two buildings with three townhouses in each building.

Ward 14 – Somerset

338 SOMERSET ST. (Site plan control)
Principals: Canadian Federation of Students (for its national office HQ); Cole + Associates Architects
Review status: Application approved by director
Status date: July 17, 2008
Description: To construct a new three-storey, 4,119-square-foot addition at the rear of an existing heritage building where a two-storey addition currently exists and is proposed to be demolished.

424 METCALFE ST. (Site plan control)
Principals: Centretown Citizens Ottawa Co-operative; Barry J. Hobin & Associates Architects
Review status: Application on hold
Status date: July 15, 2008
Description: To construct a mixed-use planned unit development consisting of an eight-storey building along Catherine Street and a four-storey apartment building and stacked townhouses along Argyle Avenue.

Ward 15 – Kitchissippi

300 RICHMOND RD.(Site plan control)
Principals: Cassone Construction; Douglas Hardie Architect
Review status: Comment period in progress
Status date: June 19, 2008
Description: To construct a five-storey mixed-use commercial/residential building with two levels of underground parking. The property has a lot area of approximately 623 square metres. The existing building on the site is proposed to be demolished.

401, 415 PICADILLY AVE. (Site plan control)
Principals: Uniform Urban Developments; Barry J. Hobin & Associates Architects
Review status: Comment period in progress
Status date: May 22, 2008
Description: Approval to allow the construction of 34 homes through a planned unit development (singles, semi and door rows).

Ward 17 – Capital

50 SIMCOE ST. (Site plan control)
Principal: Westhill Homes
Review status: Comment period has ended/issue resolution
Status date: July 10, 2008
Description: Site plan approval for one block of three townhouses.

Source: City of Ottawa

http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/292275669507492.php

waterloowarrior
Jul 31, 2008, 5:27 PM
I found that Richcraft just closed on 242 Besserer in June and 228 Besserer closed back in August of 2006.

they've submitted an application that's now online, so I made a new thread
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=3706294

adam-machiavelli
Aug 8, 2008, 5:45 PM
demolition of all structures at 150 Slater (aka 227 Laurier)
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__6BWL7N

supposed to be the new EDC HQ

http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/291989666805969.php

O'Connor at Slater - Rumoured
350,000 sq ft. commercial tower of unknown height rumoured to be in the works
Developer: Brouse Holdings

A sign just went up on O'Connor this morning saying 19 stories.

harls
Aug 21, 2008, 8:03 PM
I think it may have been stated earlier in this thread, but the signs at 150 Elgin are gone.. all that is left are the frames from whence they stood.

Mille Sabords
Aug 21, 2008, 8:06 PM
I think it may have been stated earlier in this thread, but the signs at 150 Elgin are gone.. all that is left are the frames from whence they stood.

I noticed that too, but I also just picked up a brand new pamphlet from the Friends of the Concert Hall announcing a major new fundraising campaign in September. www.theconcerthall.ca

harls
Aug 21, 2008, 8:09 PM
New design, perhaps?

AuxTown
Aug 21, 2008, 9:30 PM
New design, perhaps?

One could only hope. Not that I don't like the design, but a few extra floors would do this tower (and our CBD) some good. The website is still fully functional (ish) though.

harls
Aug 25, 2008, 12:54 PM
There's another condo going up on Wellington, near the Piccadilly.. St George's something-or-other.. just some infill, nothing too huge, two stories. I saw the billboard yesterday.. it had a website as well, but I don't remember it. It's probably been posted here already, seeing how observant I am.

Mille Sabords
Aug 25, 2008, 1:04 PM
There's another condo going up on Wellington, near the Piccadilly.. St George's something-or-other.. just some infill, nothing too huge, two stories. I saw the billboard yesterday.. it had a website as well, but I don't remember it. It's probably been posted here already, seeing how observant I am.

St. George's Yard, by Uniform. http://www.uniformdevelopments.com/stgeorges/

It's not a condo, it's an infill with singles, semis and towns. They seem to have understood the concept of back lanes, at least for the townhouses, although some of their elevations are still showing front garages. The nod to the area's architecture is visible and very welcome.

harls
Aug 25, 2008, 2:46 PM
That's the one.. thanks!

Wellington looks like a war zone right now with all of that construction on the street.

clynnog
Aug 25, 2008, 4:02 PM
News Story Ongoing development applications

[/I]

Does anybody know where the OBJ get this information from. I know of a recent example where the project consultants listed were not the key ones on the team......does the OBJ troll the City's development applications page and cut and paste info from there?

Deez
Aug 25, 2008, 5:05 PM
A couple of random updates:

Claridge's "Nate's Deli" Property:

From Besserer
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/DSCN2826.jpg

Houses to be demolished
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/DSCN2825.jpg

Looking West down Besserer towards Galleria
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/DSCN2827.jpg

Ismaili Imamat

Can't say that I'm a huge fan of the bleached-white exterior, but the glass looks kinda cool.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/DSCN2831.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/DSCN2833.jpg

Rideau Centre Parking Garage

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/DSCN2830.jpg

Mille Sabords
Aug 25, 2008, 7:09 PM
Thanks for these Deez. That parking garage is going up pretty fast. As for the Ismaili Imamat I find it a selfish, inward looking and self absorbed type of building. The glass peak is cool from a distance (driving in from Hull) but on the ground it's a fortress of the worst kind.

ajldub
Sep 2, 2008, 2:12 AM
:previous:
Agreed; and white never ages gracefully. Give it a couple of spring runoffs and it will be covered in streaks... Better than nothing, though.

Davis137
Sep 4, 2008, 10:13 PM
What was the reasoning for tearing down the parking garage at Rideau? Was it just worn out, or are they going to make it bigger/taller? I liked parking there when it was still there, as it was cheap...

Kitchissippi
Sep 4, 2008, 11:00 PM
I wonder why the Ismaili Imamat wasn't required to have stone cladding. I thought all new buildings along Sussex and the rest of Confederation Boulevard had to be covered in stone, which is why the NCC paid extra for the cladding on 700 Sussex because they forgot to stipulate it in the contract with Claridge.

AuxTown
Sep 11, 2008, 1:09 AM
$25 Million Set Aside for Library Property: Citizen
Josh Pringle
Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Ottawa Public Library is checking out a downtown location for a new main library.

The Ottawa Citizen reports the library board has approved spending up to $25 million in the 2009 Capital budget for property.

No one will say which location the board has in mind.

The Ottawa Public Library Board is looking at building a new main library with a price tag between $150 million and $200 million

Any guesses???? How about they put it in the podium of the tower at 150 Elgin since that concert hall seems pretty far-fetched at this point.

cityguy
Sep 11, 2008, 1:29 AM
^That's a good idea.

waterloowarrior
Sep 11, 2008, 2:03 AM
Uniform Urban Developments' project St. George's Yard (http://www.uniformdevelopments.com/stgeorges/) has site plan approval (http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__6AP7U3)

Deez
Sep 11, 2008, 3:24 AM
Any guesses???? How about they put it in the podium of the tower at 150 Elgin since that concert hall seems pretty far-fetched at this point.

My official guess is that they're going to try and buy Brookfield's land at Kent/Queen/Albert. It seems like Brookfield's had a hard time finding interest in the land and the City may get the feeling they're trying to ditch it.

I can't think of any other site that would be large enough to accomodate a building of the size that's proposed...

rodionx
Sep 11, 2008, 4:51 PM
My official guess is that they're going to try and buy Brookfield's land at Kent/Queen/Albert. It seems like Brookfield's had a hard time finding interest in the land and the City may get the feeling they're trying to ditch it.

I can't think of any other site that would be large enough to accomodate a building of the size that's proposed...

Hadn't thought of the Brookfield site. Could be. My money is still on the Technical High School site, though. If I recall the Escarpment Plan correctly, they was an option to knock down all but the central part of the school building, as well as build on the parking lot. That freed up quite a bit of land. The graphic showed a bunch of tall condos along Bay, as well as an 'office building.' Change 'office building' to 'central library' and you've got yourself a site.

m0nkyman
Sep 11, 2008, 5:51 PM
Hadn't thought of the Brookfield site. Could be. My money is still on the Technical High School site, though. If I recall the Escarpment Plan correctly, they was an option to knock down all but the central part of the school building, as well as build on the parking lot. That freed up quite a bit of land. The graphic showed a bunch of tall condos along Bay, as well as an 'office building.' Change 'office building' to 'central library' and you've got yourself a site.

Tech is too far west for it to be the central branch. I can't see it going any further west than Kent...

rodionx
Sep 11, 2008, 6:36 PM
Tech is too far west for it to be the central branch. I can't see it going any further west than Kent...

All Jan Harder will say is that it won't be west of Bronson. (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2008/09/10/ot-board-080910.html)

Another plus is that Library and Archives Canada would be just up the street, at Bay and Wellington.

harls
Sep 11, 2008, 7:41 PM
I hope the Brookfield property gets developed.. but yeah, it's been a while since that lot has been vacant.

What's going on at the Bank of Canada? they're ripping up the sidewalks all around the building.

I've also noticed they've cast the curbs for the sidewalks on Bank street already, between Somerset and Cooper.

citizen j
Sep 11, 2008, 7:46 PM
I hope the Brookfield property gets developed.. but yeah, it's been a while since that lot has been vacant.

What's going on at the Bank of Canada? they're ripping up the sidewalks all around the building.

I've also noticed they've cast the curbs for the sidewalks on Bank street already, between Somerset and Cooper.

Perhaps Harper's planning to lift the building off its current site and relocate it in some yet-to-be-announced city west of Thunder Bay? A final obscene gesture at the capital before the election.

Mille Sabords
Sep 11, 2008, 8:16 PM

If they hadn't set the eastern limit at the Rideau Canal, my guess would've been that the former Police Station site on Waller Street (next to Arts Court) was in the running, since it's a City property.

If they can get the former National Gallery (the Lorne building) on Elgin, and its huge parking lot behind, that would be the prized site for a new central library. Right across the street from Confederation Park to boot.

Rathgrith
Sep 11, 2008, 8:20 PM
:previous:
Agreed; and white never ages gracefully. Give it a couple of spring runoffs and it will be covered in streaks... Better than nothing, though.

I don't think the architects were from a cold country. :koko:

m0nkyman
Sep 11, 2008, 8:41 PM
If they can get the former National Gallery (the Lorne building) on Elgin, and its huge parking lot behind, that would be the prized site for a new central library. Right across the street from Confederation Park to boot.

That'd be the ideal site.

Kitchissippi
Sep 11, 2008, 8:52 PM
After seeing the Ismaili Imamat closely the other day, I think it is one of the ugliest buildings to have recently gone up in Ottawa. It is clumsy and unrefined, and the scale is completely off. When I first saw the renderings, I did not expect it to be so big. If it were 75% of it size and had enough gardens around it, maybe it wouldn't be so horrible. I thought the Saudi embassy was bad before but this one trumps it. I hope they grow vines on it.

citizen j
Sep 11, 2008, 10:28 PM

Yes! I agree. I wonder if there would be some imperative to preserve any part of the Lorne Building? The site certainly is optimal, at the end of the bridge. I can't visualize what sits on the other end, though. Is it the parking lot beside Hagen Hall on UofO campus? At some point, that's a hole in the urban fabric that needs to be addressed.

Mille Sabords
Sep 12, 2008, 12:53 PM
If it were 75% of it size and had enough gardens around it, maybe it wouldn't be so horrible. I hope they grow vines on it.

And that's what's the real issue is, right there. In order to mask ugly architecture, we resort to plants and landscaping, thereby killing the urbanity of an entire street. Plants look good, yes, but are no substitute for a good building that adds life to the street. And unfortunately, we don't even remember what to do with plants so that they participate in constructing the urban décor. No, we try to replicate "the environment" in the middle of the city, sometimes in ways that range from ridiculous to moronic. In the meantime, urbanity dies some more.

If I want to be immersed in vegetation, I'll go to a forest. In the city, I want public space to be produced by good buildings.

Aylmer
Sep 12, 2008, 12:55 PM
Embacies don't tend to have great street interaction...

:(

Mille Sabords
Sep 12, 2008, 1:00 PM
Embacies don't tend to have great street interaction...

I disagree. The Canadian embassy in Washington has awesome street interaction, and it's a signature building. The Canadian embassies in Paris, London and Buenos Aires too, and they are in stately old buildings.

Aylmer
Sep 12, 2008, 5:28 PM
The Canadian embassy in Paris

Which one?

I celebrated Canada day there during my séjour in Europe this summer:
Very nice, old building that was modernized without removing it's parisian
charm. Beautiful neighborhood...

:)

drawarc
Sep 13, 2008, 3:36 PM
150 Slater 227 Laurier Avenue

Site Plan Control-Comment Period in Progress
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__6BLDR8

Architectural Siteplan PDF-Includes Rendering.
http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Image%20Referencing_Site%20Plan%20Application_Image%20Reference_Architectural_Site_Plan_D07-12-08-0149.PDF

Number of Floors above grade: 19
Number of Floors below grade: 3
Building Height: 78meters

Aylmer
Sep 13, 2008, 4:19 PM
Wow!!!

Davis137
Sep 13, 2008, 5:19 PM
That rendering looks really nice!

Suzie
Sep 13, 2008, 9:24 PM
If they hadn't set the eastern limit at the Rideau Canal, my guess would've been that the former Police Station site on Waller Street (next to Arts Court) was in the running, since it's a City property.

I understand that the Lorne Building site is “spoken for”. A federal department intends to relocate there within a few years. The building would be torn down and replaced by a new one. This would not impact the parking lot.

drawarc
Sep 15, 2008, 9:44 AM
Wow!!!

That rendering looks really nice!

Agree, nice modern looking building.

Link to EDC building thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=157778

Mille Sabords
Sep 15, 2008, 12:52 PM
I understand that the Lorne Building site is “spoken for”. A federal department intends to relocate there within a few years. The building would be torn down and replaced by a new one. This would not impact the parking lot.

Thanks for the tidbit Suzie... I didn't know. In fact, I thought the Lorne was in such an advanced state of decay that it was on the government's "dispose" list. With a retrofit and development of the parking lot it could've made a perfect Central Library. The building itself is one of the rare pieces of 1960's architecture I would actually want to see saved on Elgin Street - although the ground level could do with more openings to the outside world.

Do you know which department has "spoken for it" or is it just a vague plan for now?

Suzie
Sep 15, 2008, 1:16 PM
Thanks for the tidbit Suzie... I didn't know. In fact, I thought the Lorne was in such an advanced state of decay that it was on the government's "dispose" list. With a retrofit and development of the parking lot it could've made a perfect Central Library. The building itself is one of the rare pieces of 1960's architecture I would actually want to see saved on Elgin Street - although the ground level could do with more openings to the outside world.

Do you know which department has "spoken for it" or is it just a vague plan for now?

Don't quote me on this, but I understand it's Finance Canada.

Mille Sabords
Sep 15, 2008, 1:56 PM
Don't quote me on this, but I understand it's Finance Canada.

Thanks. Too bad for the Library opportunity.

TransitZilla
Sep 16, 2008, 2:19 PM
Thanks. Too bad for the Library opportunity.

I still think the best place for the central library is the old train station.

Sure it will be expensive to fix that building, but what's the alternative? Leave prime real estate at one of the most important intersections in the city to fall apart and sit almost empty?

In the long run, the city would be much better served with that building as our central library.

eemy
Sep 16, 2008, 3:28 PM
I still think the best place for the central library is the old train station.

Sure it will be expensive to fix that building, but what's the alternative? Leave prime real estate at one of the most important intersections in the city to fall apart and sit almost empty?

In the long run, the city would be much better served with that building as our central library.

I completely agree. And if the Rideau/Sussex/Colonel By/Mackenzie intersection could be reconfigured, that could become a really nice square with an anchoring public building. Weren't there plans to improve that intersection somewhere? They really have to make it a single plane and eliminate that pedestrian underpass.

p_xavier
Sep 16, 2008, 3:54 PM
I completely agree. And if the Rideau/Sussex/Colonel By/Mackenzie intersection could be reconfigured, that could become a really nice square with an anchoring public building. Weren't there plans to improve that intersection somewhere? They really have to make it a single plane and eliminate that pedestrian underpass.

I think it will be with the new Congress Centre, they need to reduce the lanes.

waterloowarrior
Sep 17, 2008, 11:18 PM
at tommorow's CofA (http://www.kitchissippiward.com/vm/newvisual/attachments/735/documents/SUMMARY%20July%2016%202008%20-%20English%20Panel%201.pdf)(panel 1)

388 Booth Street @Balsam
The Owner wants to demolish the existing building and construct a 5-storey mixed-use commercial/residential condominium building, containing 27 dwelling units, as shown on plans filed with the Committee. The property is
subject to zoning designations under both Zoning By-law 1998 and the new City of Ottawa Zoning By-law.

224 Preston is prosposed as the sales centre - owner is Princiotta Tower Inc

update... site plan application (http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__6B5T22) has been submitted

The purpose of this application is to permit the construction of a 5-storey condominium with one level of underground parking. The proposed condominium will consist of 28 residential units, and 1 commercial unit. The total gross floor area is 3,269.3 square metres, with 80.1 square metres allotted for the commercial unit. The building will have site coverage of 962.3 square metres and a height of 16.5 metres. The underground parking will consist of 19 vehicular spaces and will be accessed via Balsam Street.

Mille Sabords
Sep 18, 2008, 1:35 AM
update... site plan application (http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__6B5T22) has been submitted

The purpose of this application is to permit the construction of a 5-storey condominium with one level of underground parking. The proposed condominium will consist of 28 residential units, and 1 commercial unit. The total gross floor area is 3,269.3 square metres, with 80.1 square metres allotted for the commercial unit. The building will have site coverage of 962.3 square metres and a height of 16.5 metres. The underground parking will consist of 19 vehicular spaces and will be accessed via Balsam Street.

This is the Z6 Urban Lofts project, for which I started a thred a few days ago. Nice looking building and it will open up Booth street and that whole area. :tup:

waterloowarrior
Sep 18, 2008, 1:38 AM
ah sorry, missed that one.... I reposted it in the right thread :tup:

rodionx
Sep 19, 2008, 4:06 AM
According to this blog I just found (http://centretown.blogspot.com/), someone named Jakob Ulak is proposing a development at Gladstone and Kent. So that makes the Central, Z6 Urban Lofts, the Pawn da Rosa, and now this. I didn't think the Gladstone strip would take off for another ten years, but it's starting to look like its time has come.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Sep 19, 2008, 10:43 AM
According to this blog I just found (http://centretown.blogspot.com/), someone named Jakob Ulak is proposing a development at Gladstone and Kent. So that makes the Central, Z6 Urban Lofts, the Pawn da Rosa, and now this. I didn't think the Gladstone strip would take off for another ten years, but it's starting to look like its time has come.

And that's a good thing. Gladstone is by far one of the roughest and most dilapitated main arterial streets remaining in Centretown/Central Ottawa.

fireicedog
Sep 19, 2008, 11:30 AM

I know a couple of years ago Claridge proposed a building on the autobody lot, but never really got off the ground. Most likely it'll be that site.

harls
Sep 19, 2008, 12:21 PM
The other day I noticed the Lusitana garage on Richmond closed it's doors.. is something new coming to this lot? (near Tweedsmuir, I believe..)

harls
Sep 19, 2008, 2:26 PM
We should have some sketches/renderings/ideas for Gatineau's future to post here next week. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this workshop.

http://www.ville.gatineau.qc.ca/documents/C-08-103.AFMe.pdf

The workshop will be a public participation activity that will give residents, organizations and local partners the opportunity to produce visual representations using maps and sketches to illustrate their ideas and vision of the downtown. This activity will take place on Saturday, September 20, 2008, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., in salle Gatineau, Maison du Citoyen.

Aylmer
Sep 19, 2008, 3:59 PM
I'll Be there!

Kitchissippi
Sep 19, 2008, 4:10 PM
The other day I noticed the Lusitana garage on Richmond closed it's doors.. is something new coming to this lot? (near Tweedsmuir, I believe..)

The Paddle Shack and Tall Tree Cycles are moving there from farther west down the street, since Phase 2 of the Westboro Station will dislocate them.

clynnog
Sep 19, 2008, 4:58 PM

That is not really a surprise as I used to play on a footie team with the owner and he told me about all the offers he had been given for the property...good luck on the clean up of that site.

Deez
Sep 19, 2008, 10:19 PM
We should have some sketches/renderings/ideas for Gatineau's future to post here next week. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this workshop.

http://www.ville.gatineau.qc.ca/documents/C-08-103.AFMe.pdf

Expect to see some reurbanization around A-50 south of A-5.

waterloowarrior
Sep 20, 2008, 6:39 PM
I finally found the omb decision (http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/e-decisions/pl071253-june-23-2008.pdf) for 129 Main Street...

The developer won; another case of wasted time and money. There was no credible evidence presented against the proposal. The consultant team had worked with the community to come up with a design that satisfied them, and had support from the community association and councillor, but at the last minute several residents sent letters in opposition (http://www.ottawaeast.ca/129%20Main/OOEresletterCofA.doc.pdf) and the CofA refused their variance.

http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/129main.jpg

more documents here (http://www.ottawaeast.ca/129%20Main/)

Aylmer
Sep 20, 2008, 8:06 PM
Not bad...

Jamaican-Phoenix
Sep 20, 2008, 11:49 PM
Such a waste. People in this city really need to smarten up about development. Ottawa is not a small town anymore. :hell:

But not too shabby a proposal for Main Street. But correct me if I am wrong, will this not be the third condo to go up on that street that has the same colour scheme? :haha:

harls
Sep 22, 2008, 12:41 PM
http://ottsun.canoe.ca/News/OttawaAndRegion/2008/09/21/6828006-sun.html

Hull of a makeover

City officials across the river hope to revitalize its historic downtown with development plans that could double area's population by 2025

By AEDAN HELMER, SUN MEDIA

Sun. Sept. 21, 2008

Hull is getting a facelift, and city officials are turning to residents for ideas on how a new downtown urban village should look.

The city hopes to nearly double the area's population to 25,000 by 2025.

That ambitious target will require a broad vision, extensive planning and consultation, and aggressive marketing to draw residents back to Hull, says Coun. Denise Laferriere, who represents the area.

"We want to make sure the people will participate in the design of the core, and after that we hope there will be less opposition when the project goes up," she said.

Yesterday, city officials hosted a workshop where 40 residents tweaked their own proposals.

HIGHRISE CONCERNS

According to Laferriere, some local residents are "sensitive" about rapid growth in the area, particularly with the height of new condominium developments.

Growth in Hull has stunted since the 1970s, when hundreds of residents were forced to move because their homes were expropriated to make way for federal office buildings and the six-lane Maisonneuve Blvd.

The rate of growth in Hull has since slowed to only 30 dwellings per year.

To reach the population target by 2025, that rate will need to increase tenfold.

"It's an ambitious target, but it's doable," said Duncan Cass-Beggs, of the Residents' Association of L'Ile de Hull. "But you have to do it in a really smart way that doesn't involve just jumping on building big towers over open-air parking lots."

Claude Royer, chairman of the association's urban planning committee, said while there are some locations where highrise condominium towers are appropriate, "medium-density buildings carefully planned across the downtown area could bring a lot of additional dwellings."

There is also concern over the impact of such rapid development on delicate natural landmarks such as Brewery Creek and the Chaudiere Falls.

ATTRACT RESIDENTS

"We want to increase the density in a smart way while maintaining the quality of life," said Royer. "If you don't develop in a smart way, you're not going to attract people."

The group drew inspiration from other vibrant neighbourhoods in putting together its own design for the downtown village, including Montreal's chic Plateau district and Ottawa's own Byward Market.

"This is the historic heart of the area, and we want to make it a meeting place for the whole of Gatineau," said Royer. "It's about modernizing while preserving the historic character, and creating something exciting enough to attract people from elsewhere in the province and the country as well."

The city will hold a public hearing tomorrow, and staff hopes to table a final proposal before council in December. The next window for public consultation will open in spring 2009.

waterloowarrior
Sep 27, 2008, 3:04 PM
http://cdn.travidia.com/rop-ad/6959438

rodionx
Sep 27, 2008, 8:33 PM
Oy. I wonder what demographic they're aiming for with those two models... Swingers? Vampires? :runaway:

m0nkyman
Sep 27, 2008, 8:37 PM
^ Bar staff.
So... both

;)

harls
Sep 27, 2008, 8:42 PM
Why, those two look like they were plucked right out of the Plateau in Montreal.

the guy looks like Stefie Shock..

Aylmer
Sep 28, 2008, 12:20 AM
He scares me...

Acajack
Sep 28, 2008, 4:08 AM
http://cdn.travidia.com/rop-ad/6959438

Bad marketing all round. I myself thought it was somewhere in Gatineau when I first glanced at it, which will certainly turn off a significant % of potential buyers immediately.

Aylmer
Sep 28, 2008, 11:53 AM
That guy really looks lika a sexual predator!

I just find it funny that they actualy printed this!!!

Rathgrith
Sep 28, 2008, 9:04 PM
I'm sure the old people buying it would like the notion of swinger lifestyle.

AuxTown
Sep 29, 2008, 12:44 AM
He reminds me of that gay actor from the new Degrassi show. No doubt he's a switch hitter at the very least.

p_xavier
Sep 29, 2008, 3:05 AM
Why, those two look like they were plucked right out of the Plateau in Montreal.

the guy looks like Stefie Shock..

Yeah, it's surprising how stereotypes are true. I just can't imagine them as Anglos.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Sep 29, 2008, 11:02 AM
Well to me, they could both pass for people who like hang around Rideau... :haha:

They don't really look like Anglos or Francos for that matter. :shrug:

The guy looks like some sleaze-bag you could find in the streets of Tijuana. :haha:

Mille Sabords
Sep 29, 2008, 1:59 PM
The guy looks like some sleaze-bag you could find in the streets of Tijuana. :haha:

I nearly spat my coffee on the screen at that one!! :lmao:

Acajack
Sep 29, 2008, 2:12 PM
Bad marketing all round. I myself thought it was somewhere in Gatineau when I first glanced at it, which will certainly turn off a significant % of potential buyers immediately.

Kinda looks like Prince, come to think of it.

Could this project become "the condo formerly known as Le St-Denis"?

Jamaican-Phoenix
Sep 29, 2008, 10:16 PM
I nearly spat my coffee on the screen at that one!! :lmao:

I take it you've been to Tijuana then? :P :lmao:

Davis137
Sep 30, 2008, 12:14 AM
I will take a walk up the road to get further details or pics, but until recently, there's been a sign for a 12-storey apartment building on the east side of Parkdale right across the street from the Talon Building at Tunney's Pasture. Now the two old houses that were there are boarded/hoarded up, with a security fence around the site, with the front porches and fascias removed from the houses, and the sign indicating that the building is already more than 50% sold...

I'll keep updates on this going, as well as make a better effort with updates on Westboro Station (which has 3 floors above grade poured, and prep of the 4th was underway this past weekend).

L8tz

Ted
Sep 30, 2008, 1:21 AM
Interestingly, this was a piece of property owned by Routeburn - who wanted to unload it even after they got some approvals. Not sure what is up with them , no updates to their website in like two years.

Suzie
Oct 6, 2008, 2:03 PM
Regarding 119 Richmond Road (i.e., the old Canadian Tire site), I received in my mailbox a flyer stating that the owner of the site (Ashcroft I believe) has submitted a minor variation application to allow it to build an eight-story retirement residence. This confirms earlier rumours.

Also, the sales’ office at Stonework Lofts is now closed and there is a notice saying that construction will begin this month.

harls
Oct 6, 2008, 2:08 PM
^ I drove by there last friday (cdn tire site) .. looks like they're in the process of digging up the old gasoline resevoirs already.

I also saw some construction workers at Chez Henri this morning.. the building is going to be restored and enlarged. I think they were just scoping out the site, but I hear construction is supposed to start very soon.

Mille Sabords
Oct 7, 2008, 2:29 AM
Just today I popped into the new presentation centre for Westboro Station II. They are booking private appointments and will release the second phase to the "general public" October 25th.

Tor2Ott
Oct 7, 2008, 12:30 PM
Nice...this will result in more beautiful and interesting buildings in O-town. Looks like I am ditching this town just in time...
-----------

City Eyes New Selection Process for Projects

Josh Pringle
Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Corporate Services and Economic Development Committee is being advised to go bargain hunting.

City Manager Kent Kirkpatrick is recommending Ottawa award contracts to engineers and architects for city projects based on the lowest price.

The Ottawa Citizen reports that under the proposal, all applicants for city projects that receive a minimum of 70 per cent in technical ratings will have their fee envelopes opened and the lowest price will be awarded the contract.

The work would include design and renovations of buildings, and design and rehabilitation work on sewers, roads and bridges.

Kirkpatrick estimates the idea could save taxpayers $3.4 million over two years.

Cre47
Oct 8, 2008, 3:37 PM
Don't know if anyone posted this possible project on Industrial east of Alta Vista, but we have another case of NIMBYISM.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/city/story.html?id=7335efba-08bb-470d-b9bf-3c1bede92d79

c_speed3108
Oct 9, 2008, 3:53 PM
Don't know if anyone posted this possible project on Industrial east of Alta Vista, but we have another case of NIMBYISM.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/city/story.html?id=7335efba-08bb-470d-b9bf-3c1bede92d79

People have cited privacy, shade, traffic, parking, falling property values, pollution, and crime concerns as reasons the city should deny the rezoning request.

Shade?...seriously it North of the townhouses.

Traffic?...you live that close to Industrial ave and across the street from 3 high rises and your worried about traffic

crime?.....its most likely a condo not a rental I would have to guess.

parking?....what the heck has that got to do with anything. The building is way around the other side anyway.

I am all for people not wanting some developer to come in and alter there quiet neighbourhood with a buildings that don't match the others in the area but this is a bit ridiculous. There are high highrises right there. Claridge is only asking for 9 stories. What would they rather, another warehouse?

drawarc
Oct 13, 2008, 7:05 AM
City Eyes New Selection Process for Projects

Josh Pringle
Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Corporate Services and Economic Development Committee is being advised to go bargain hunting.

City Manager Kent Kirkpatrick is recommending Ottawa award contracts to engineers and architects for city projects based on the lowest price.

The Ottawa Citizen reports that under the proposal, all applicants for city projects that receive a minimum of 70 per cent in technical ratings will have their fee envelopes opened and the lowest price will be awarded the contract.

The work would include design and renovations of buildings, and design and rehabilitation work on sewers, roads and bridges.

Kirkpatrick estimates the idea could save taxpayers $3.4 million over two years.

Bad idea, hope they will think twice if architecture is to actually improve in city.

waterloowarrior
Oct 28, 2008, 2:12 AM
recent updates on the old CTC westboro

http://lovewestboro.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/fotenn-meeting-oct08.jpg

C of A
http://lovewestboro.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/canadian-tire-coa.pdf

“The Owner wants to demolish the existing 1-storey commercial building in order to construct an 8-storey retail/residential building, as shown on plans filed with the Committee. The ground floor facing Richmond Road will contain retail units with 174 residential retirement units above, and 3 levels of underground parking to be accessed from Patricia Avenue. “

Rage against the beige
Would it kill Ottawa developers to build something in Westboro that had a little colour? Kelly Egan asks.

Kelly Egan
The Ottawa Citizen

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Here's the problem with modern architecture. You and I have to look at it.

The other day, a cagey geezer stops by the typing-hovel, on about this and that, climbing out on this limb then that one -- never a saw around when you need one! -- when he struck on something that, absolutely, matters to you, me and our surroundings.

Gist-wise, it went like this: They're ruining Westboro, brick by brick.

Yes, literally with bad brick. You know the kind. It's that pale, insipid-coloured brick that dares not speak its name because, frankly, it has none. It isn't an identifiable colour. It's a washed-out yellow or an anemic shade of putty, the vitality sucked right out of it, as though slain just before installation.

Along Richmond Road, where condo-mania has struck, you will see this sickly yellow brick on top, a grey stone on the bottom, maybe a beige accent here or there, with metal trim of brushed aluminum. It is a tableau of sand, and every day -- rain or shine -- looks wrapped in a fog.

What, can anyone tell me, is so wrong with red brick? We suffer, for some reason, this terrible aversion to real colour. If nothing else, red brick at least says RED.

As a kid growing up, do you remember silver cars? Not me. Look around today. Every second vehicle is silver or grey.

I think of Apple, supposedly the world's greatest merchant of cool. It makes computers that, to my knowledge, are only white, black or silver. Its use of colour is reserved for little things, such as iPods, as though, like hot sauce, just a splash here and there is all we could stand. Maybe it's their fault.

Many things are now under way in Westboro and environs. I don't know if it is too late to stop this parade of architectural blandness, which, by the way, is being done at the expense of useful things like hardware stores and gas stations.

You imagine the neighbourhood in 20 years: hundreds of well-to-do, retired condo dwellers, all dressed in Gore-Tex, buzzed on Bridgehead coffee, staring at each other, wondering: "What do we do now?"

Food, booze, coffee and condos -- those seem to be the signature commodities on Richmond Road at the moment.

There is a housing project at 119 Richmond, site of the former Canadian Tire store. There is a housing project at 101 Richmond, which is promising the Realtor's Holy Trinity: Urban, Condo, Lofts, on the sign.

The project at 119, by Ashcroft Homes, calls for an eight-storey building with 174 housing units, intended as a retirement residence. The ground floor will contain retail. Well, of course it will contain ground-floor retail. Get with the program!

To bring it about, however, the builder needs a minor variance to go above the current height restriction. The matter will be heard by the committee of adjustment on Nov. 5.

I have seen an artist's rendering of the buildings. They look OK, but just. Yellowish brick here and there, mixed with deeper shades of brown, a turret-affair going on at the corner.

If I were God of the committee of adjustment, and let's pretend for one paragraph I am, I would tell Ashcroft: "You can have your zoning variance on one condition. Build something innovative and colourful. Build something gorgeous, for the sake of the masses who have to walk by it, day in, day out. Do not use a colour of brick that looks like old newsprint. If you can do this, you get the extra floors. If not, why should we bend the rules a) for your private gain and b) to permit more blandness to be inflicted on a street with so much potential?"

I see an ad for the second phase of Westboro Station, farther along Richmond at Golden Avenue, in drawings a cascading set of condo blocks rising up from the street. Say this about it. At least it has a strong colour scheme, which gives it a solid, muscular feel, as though proud of its presence on the street. Unlike some, it is not desperately trying to fade neutrally into the sky or the dirty sidewalk.

A couple of years ago, I interviewed a businessman named Paul Palango, a journalist and author who had spun a sideline into a successful glass-
blowing business based in Nova Scotia. It had a store, Chez Glass Lass, on Bank Street.

The company sold glass dishes in many, many vibrant colours. His verdict, after three years here, about the taste of Ottawa customers?

"We can't make things brown enough."

Oh yes, my friend, you bet we can.

Contact Kelly Egan at 613-726-5896

or by e-mail, kegan@thecitizen.canwest.com

© The Ottawa Citizen 2008

Mille Sabords
Oct 28, 2008, 1:01 PM
That's an excellent article.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Oct 28, 2008, 10:25 PM
I've seen most of what's gone up along Main Street(Old Ottawa East) and what is proposed to go up along Main Street and it is pretty much all beige... :yuck:

waterloowarrior
Nov 1, 2008, 1:14 PM
http://cdn.travidia.com/rop-ad/7133926

http://101richmond.ca/

harls
Nov 3, 2008, 3:08 PM
All that's missing from that image is the Kool-Aid Man.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Nov 3, 2008, 6:35 PM

:lmao:

AuxTown
Nov 3, 2008, 11:05 PM

How's this?

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/2189/101condoohyaxg2.gif

Oh Yeah!