PDA

View Full Version : General Update/Rumour thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

YOWetal
Sep 15, 2014, 6:08 PM
Had a thought. In the event that Scotland becomes an independent state following their referendum on Thursday, we should seek a prominent location for a Scottish embassy to Canada given the strong historic ties between Canada & Scotland and the massive number of Canadians of Scottish origin (in fact, there are more Canadians of Scottish descent than there are people in Scotland!).

Any ideas on where such a prominent location exists in the core?

Most likely they would just take a floor of an office building. That is what most similarly sized European countries have in Ottawa.

1overcosc
Sep 15, 2014, 6:15 PM
^ I feel like Scotland should have its own building, though. Yes, it would be a small country but a very significant one to our national history.

MaxHeadroom
Sep 15, 2014, 6:23 PM
Give an independent Scotland the old US embassy on Wellington.

Acajack
Sep 15, 2014, 6:30 PM

Cool idea, but this would overshadow the British High Commission too much, and you don't want to do that.

YOWetal
Sep 15, 2014, 6:41 PM

^ I feel like Scotland should have its own building, though. Yes, it would be a small country but a very significant one to our national history.

Embassies aren't given sites or buildings. They need to purchase the land and build them at their expense.

Acajack
Sep 15, 2014, 6:52 PM
Embassies aren't given sites or buildings. They need to purchase the land and build them at their expense.

For the biggies I would assume that the NCC is involved in some way. The gigantic US embassy didn't end up where it is simply as a result of a banal real estate transaction.

YOWetal
Sep 15, 2014, 7:16 PM
For the biggies I would assume that the NCC is involved in some way. The gigantic US embassy didn't end up where it is simply as a result of a banal real estate transaction.

True. The NCC owns a lot of the prime sites and has reserved them for Embassies. The Gulf embassies along Sussex for example.

Sometimes countries trade sites in their respective capitals. I believe this is how Canada got the prime spot in Washington and Canada was to reciprocate. The US embassy ended up on its current location after the original choice in Rockcliffe was opposed by local residents.

Acajack
Sep 15, 2014, 7:18 PM
True. The NCC owns a lot of the prime sites and has reserved them for Embassies. The Gulf embassies along Sussex for example.

Sometimes countries trade sites in their respective capitals. I believe this is how Canada got the prime spot in Washington and Canada was to reciprocate. The US embassy ended up on its current location after the original choice in Rockcliffe was opposed by local residents.

I had forgotten that but you're right!

Acajack
Sep 15, 2014, 7:23 PM
Here's an interesting question: are any embassies located on the Quebec side of the river?

I don't believe so, though technically I believe they could given that the "national capital" is defined as the NCR in the legislation.

Anyway, I know there is an "Ambassade du Maroc" listed in Aylmer but that's actually the ambassador's residence. The actual embassy is in Sandy Hill on the Range Rd. embassy row.

The old road out to Aylmer actually has a good number of ambassador's residences.

kwoldtimer
Sep 15, 2014, 7:38 PM

Exactly what I was going to say.

LeadingEdgeBoomer
Sep 15, 2014, 8:44 PM
I wonder if the project the NCC is proposing at Lebreton that is supposed to be nationally or regionally significant will turn out to be a new Science & Tech Museum given the current one is going to be "closed indefinitely."

What I fear is this. The Old science and Technology Museum is toast. An election year is coming. So the government announces it will build a new one---in another part of Canada ,where they think they can garner votes by promising to move it there.

Capital Shaun
Sep 15, 2014, 9:36 PM
Here's an interesting question: are any embassies located on the Quebec side of the river?

I don't believe so, though technically I believe they could given that the "national capital" is defined as the NCR in the legislation.

Anyway, I know there is an "Ambassade du Maroc" listed in Aylmer but that's actually the ambassador's residence. The actual embassy is in Sandy Hill on the Range Rd. embassy row.

The old road out to Aylmer actually has a good number of ambassador's residences.

None are in the Gatineau. Probably except for a few in Rockcliffe, all are within pre-amalgamation Ottawa mostly in the central area (ByWard Market, Centretown, Downtown, Sandy Hill).

1overcosc
Sep 15, 2014, 10:40 PM
What I fear is this. The Old science and Technology Museum is toast. An election year is coming. So the government announces it will build a new one---in another part of Canada ,where they think they can garner votes by promising to move it there.

Ottawa is one of the cities that Harper is going to have to focus a lot on in the coming election campaign. Ontario & BC are the main areas where he's going to have regain ground from the Liberals to get elected.

Norman Bates
Sep 15, 2014, 10:47 PM
Ottawa is one of the cities that Harper is going to have to focus a lot on in the coming election campaign. Ontario & BC are the main areas where he's going to have regain ground from the Liberals to get elected.
His offer to Ottawa come election time will be a new Civic Hospital built in the Experimental Farm.

kwoldtimer
Sep 15, 2014, 10:48 PM

They will announce a new one and it will be in Ottawa. Whether it actually gets built after the 2015 election is beyond my ability to read tea leaves.

Norman Bates
Sep 15, 2014, 10:49 PM
Had a thought. In the event that Scotland becomes an independent state following their referendum on Thursday, we should seek a prominent location for a Scottish embassy to Canada given the strong historic ties between Canada & Scotland and the massive number of Canadians of Scottish origin (in fact, there are more Canadians of Scottish descent than there are people in Scotland!).

Any ideas on where such a prominent location exists in the core?

Would it not be a high commission as opposed to an embassy.

acottawa
Sep 15, 2014, 10:50 PM

In the traditional usage, an Embassy was the place where the Ambassador lived (as opposed to the chancery where the office was located). Morocco may still use this nomenclature. I believe Canada insists on chanceries being located in the capital city, so I don't think any are outside of pre-amalgamation Ottawa (Rockliffe has lots of residences, but no chanceries as far as I know).

kwoldtimer
Sep 15, 2014, 10:52 PM
None are in the Gatineau. Probably except for a few in Rockcliffe, all are within pre-amalgamation Ottawa mostly in the central area (ByWard Market, Centretown, Downtown, Sandy Hill).

Diplomatic residences can be located on the Gatineau side, but embassies and High Commissions must be located in the national capital, Ottawa.

kwoldtimer
Sep 15, 2014, 11:06 PM
Would it not be a high commission as opposed to an embassy.

Yes, assuming Scotland were to remain a member of the Commonwealth, which I believe would be the plan.

waterloowarrior
Sep 15, 2014, 11:31 PM
Would any of the lots on Sussex between Stanley and MacKay be appropriate?

kwoldtimer
Sep 15, 2014, 11:48 PM
Would any of the lots on Sussex between Stanley and MacKay be appropriate?

That would be a nice spot for something in grey granite....

Mikeed
Sep 16, 2014, 1:09 AM
His offer to Ottawa come election time will be a new Civic Hospital built in the Experimental Farm.

I just find that unlikely since Healthcare is a provincial jurisdiction.

But good idea; might be missing some sarcasm.

Norman Bates
Sep 16, 2014, 1:32 AM
I just find that unlikely since Healthcare is a provincial jurisdiction.

But good idea; might be missing some sarcasm.

But the necessary land is under federal control. The new hospital will be the bone thrown to Ottawa for voting Tory.

Likely also a wedge issue as it is doubtful that the NDP would support loosing the green space. No idea where the Grits would sit on this - unless it was named the Harper or the Baird rather than the Civic.

1overcosc
Sep 16, 2014, 2:20 AM
Or perhaps he'll announce he's handing over the Parkway lands the city needs for LRT over to the city / ordering the NCC to accept the city's alignment. The NIMBYs in the area are in an NDP-held riding where he has no chance of winning so he's got nothing to lose, and it puts the Liberals & NDP in a very awkward situation as they plan on campaigning on the need for transit expansions.

rocketphish
Sep 16, 2014, 2:25 AM
Sandy Hill heritage church sale raises concerns in community
All Saints Anglican Church moved from 114-year-old building earlier in summer

By Andrew Foote, CBC News Posted: Sep 15, 2014 2:44 PM ET Last Updated: Sep 15, 2014 5:35 PM ET

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2766827.1410805644!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_220/all-saints-anglican-church-sandy-hill-ottawa-sale.jpg

It's been the site of a state funeral, a royal wedding and countless services since the dawn of the 20th century.

Now, the future of the former All Saints Anglican Church on Chapel Street in Ottawa's Sandy Hill neighbourhood is in doubt.

The building, completed in 1900 and designated a heritage property in 1998, is now up for sale.

Action Sandy Hill president Chad Rollins said he'd like to see the building on the corner of Laurier Avenue East become a cultural centre, but thinks a developer will end up outbidding everyone else and use it for a residential complex.

If the property would be rezoned, that is.

"[The city] has taken a lot of steps in the past couple of years towards trying to ensure character in our mature and older neighbourhoods is protected, yet on the other hand they continue to do a lot of things that undermine those efforts," Rollins said.

"The constant 'spot' rezonings is a big one."

Rollins said the city should make more predictable development decisions and not grant as many case-by-case exceptions as they have in the past.

"There's really no certainty for anyone in the community, not even for developers," he said.

Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury said the area is zoned "institutional" and he wants it to stay that way.

"We feel the appropriate designation is in place… it's a clear message of the importance," he said. "We'd like it to stay as a church but if it's not, it for sure should stay institutional."

Former PM Borden funeral site

The building at 317 Chapel St. was finished in 1900 and founded by Sir Henry Newell Bate, who was the first chair of the Ottawa Improvement Commission (or National Capital Commission, as we now know it.)

The state funeral for former prime minister Robert Borden was held there in 1937, and it was the site of a wedding between Lois Booth, granddaughter of lumber baron J.R. Booth, and Danish prince Erik von Rosenberg in 1924.

Action Sandy Hill is part of a rally planned for Wednesday afternoon, scheduled to start at the former church, to "encourage the City to preserve the historic character of Sandy Hill."

The rally is scheduled to end at the corner of Laurier Avenue East and Friel Street, where council voted down a rezoning that would have replaced heritage buildings there with a nine-storey student residence.

All Saints's congregation moved to a new location on Montreal Road in July. They have a farewell celebration planned for Thursday night.

Nobody from the congregation or real estate company managing the sale replied to requests for comment.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/sandy-hill-heritage-church-sale-raises-concerns-in-community-1.2766711

teej1984
Sep 23, 2014, 1:33 PM
Sunday I watched a fantastic documentary on Netflix called The Human Scale (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2414454/) and it really got me thinking about urban life in Ottawa. The first thing I thought was how overbuilt roads DT are. I bike to work every day and consistently notice there is not nearly enough traffic on Slater and Albert to require 3-4 lanes of traffic. The Slater development is reinforcing this as one lane is currently closed on Slater@Bank, and it's not traffic armageddon, in fact, it calms traffic and makes it safer for pedestrians and bikers. The same applies for Metcalfe and O'Connor, which both have the same amount of traffic and are RARELY at capacity. The city should really consider turning one lane of each of these streets into bike lanes, providing quick North-South and East-West traffic, similar to what NYC has done (it's explained really well in the doc). Not only would this encourage more people to bike and safer biking, but it would create more of a community atmosphere in parts of the city that have been divided by unnecessarily large boulevards. The same applies for the J.A.M near Lebreton Flats/Museum of War... the road there is completely inhospitable growing from two lanes up to the Museum of War to EIGHT lanes of traffic after. No wonder Fusion feels like an island... it's impossible to connect it to the surrounding community because this immensely overbuilt road is bisecting it from any opportunity to connect.

The second thing I thought about was how the DT O-Train tunnel is going to make the city look like an uninhabited wasteland. Currently there is so much life on the streets in the morning and afternoon as people go to work and wait at the three central bus stations DT. With everyone going underground, the city is going to look deserted all the time!

1overcosc
Sep 23, 2014, 2:33 PM
I believe the city is planning on narrowing Albert, Slater, and Queen once the Confederation Line opens. Lopping Queen from 4 lanes to 2 and Albert/Slater from 3 to 2. Queen is getting significantly widened sidewalks (to handle the pedestrian traffic from the new Confederation Line stations), Albert/Slater are getting segregated bike lanes.

Outside the core, Main Street is also being narrowed from 4 lanes to 2 lanes, with segregated bike lanes and wider sidewalks.

waterloowarrior
Sep 23, 2014, 3:18 PM
6 storey wood construction permitted in Ontario as of Jan 1, 2015. Midrise building boom?

http://news.ontario.ca/mah/en/2014/09/ontario-increases-allowable-height-of-wood-frame-buildings-to-six-storeys.html

gjhall
Sep 23, 2014, 3:55 PM
6 storey wood construction permitted in Ontario as of Jan 1, 2015. Midrise building boom?

http://news.ontario.ca/mah/en/2014/09/ontario-increases-allowable-height-of-wood-frame-buildings-to-six-storeys.html

Long awaited and very good news.

Boxster
Sep 23, 2014, 4:05 PM
Sunday I watched a fantastic documentary on Netflix called The Human Scale (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2414454/) and it really got me thinking about urban life in Ottawa. The first thing I thought was how overbuilt roads DT are. I bike to work every day and consistently notice there is not nearly enough traffic on Slater and Albert to require 3-4 lanes of traffic. The Slater development is reinforcing this as one lane is currently closed on Slater@Bank, and it's not traffic armageddon, in fact, it calms traffic and makes it safer for pedestrians and bikers. The same applies for Metcalfe and O'Connor, which both have the same amount of traffic and are RARELY at capacity. The city should really consider turning one lane of each of these streets into bike lanes, providing quick North-South and East-West traffic, similar to what NYC has done (it's explained really well in the doc). Not only would this encourage more people to bike and safer biking, but it would create more of a community atmosphere in parts of the city that have been divided by unnecessarily large boulevards. The same applies for the J.A.M near Lebreton Flats/Museum of War... the road there is completely inhospitable growing from two lanes up to the Museum of War to EIGHT lanes of traffic after. No wonder Fusion feels like an island... it's impossible to connect it to the surrounding community because this immensely overbuilt road is bisecting it from any opportunity to connect.

The second thing I thought about was how the DT O-Train tunnel is going to make the city look like an uninhabited wasteland. Currently there is so much life on the streets in the morning and afternoon as people go to work and wait at the three central bus stations DT. With everyone going underground, the city is going to look deserted all the time!

I think most people will need to resurface to get to their area of work. This is nothing like Toronto's PATH.

JM1
Sep 23, 2014, 4:06 PM
Roads don't hit capacity so much as intersections do. Ottawa's traffic is only bad because of the geography of the area -- three rivers and a canal. I find that the Elgin/Sussex/Rideau area gets congested because of intersection capacity, but other than that, downtown is congestion free. Likewise, Praetoria Bridge and the 417 get congested because they are Rideau river choke points. Other than that, very little congestion.

King Edward gets congested at St. Patrick because that is a weird choke point with a reverse angle turn for a large fraction of traffic. Vanier Parkway and St. Patrick is also bad.

If a few intersections were redesigned, we could probably greatly reduce the number of lanes of traffic, create friendlier streets, and still get people where they need to go (by the mode of their choice) in a reasonable time.

Suggestions that I would have to make things better:
0. Create an integrated Ottawa-Gatineau Light Rail or urban gondola transit connection.
1. Tunnel from Nicholas St, under Dalhousie, to the M-C Bridge.
2. Ralign Vanier Parkway and the St Partick bridge to flow directly into St. Patrick and then do shallow tunnel under the Chinese Embassy and the Lowertown Park to connect to the M-C Bridge.
3. Build the section of the Alta Vista Corridor that would connect Nicholas to Riverside.
4. Re-align/straioghten Coventry Road between St. Laurent and Vanier and connect it across the Rideau to Lees AVenue.
5. Tunnel a large traffic cricle underneath the Elgin/Rideau/Sussex/Colonel By intersection.
6. Improve the connection from Bronson to Riverside (to allow traffic coming up Airport Parkway to make better use of Riverside and the Nicholas to Riverside section of the Alta Vista Corridor.

Boxster
Sep 23, 2014, 4:10 PM
Roads don't hit capacity so much as intersections do. Ottawa's traffic is only bad because of the geography of the area -- three rivers and a canal. I find that the Elgin/Sussex/Rideau area gets congested because of intersection capacity, but other than that, downtown is congestion free. Likewise, Praetoria Bridge and the 417 get congested because they are Rideau river choke points. Other than that, very little congestion.

King Edward gets congested at St. Patrick because that is a weird choke point with a reverse angle turn for a large fraction of traffic. Vanier Parkway and St. Patrick is also bad.

If a few intersections were redesigned, we could probably greatly reduce the number of lanes of traffic, create friendlier streets, and still get people where they need to go (by the mode of their choice) in a reasonable time.

Suggestions that I would have to make things better:
0. Create an integrated Ottawa-Gatineau Light Rail or urban gondola transit connection.
1. Tunnel from Nicholas St, under Dalhousie, to the M-C Bridge.
2. Ralign Vanier Parkway and the St Partick bridge to flow directly into St. Patrick and then do shallow tunnel under the Chinese Embassy and the Lowertown Park to connect to the M-C Bridge.
3. Build the section of the Alta Vista Corridor that would connect Nicholas to Riverside.
4. Re-align/straioghten Coventry Road between St. Laurent and Vanier and connect it across the Rideau to Lees AVenue.
5. Tunnel a large traffic cricle underneath the Elgin/Rideau/Sussex/Colonel By intersection.
6. Improve the connection from Bronson to Riverside (to allow traffic coming up Airport Parkway to make better use of Riverside and the Nicholas to Riverside section of the Alta Vista Corridor.

Your best idea has got to be number 5. !!!! :D

waterloowarrior
Sep 23, 2014, 10:43 PM
99 Greenfield Ave staff report
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/agdocs.aspx?doctype=agenda&itemid=313083

OMB hearing in January
https://www.omb.gov.on.ca/ecs/CaseDetail.aspx?n=PL140260

This is an 8 unit 4 storey building

rocketphish
Sep 24, 2014, 11:27 PM
Quality Hotel on Rideau sold as of Dec. 1

Carys Mills, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: September 24, 2014, Last Updated: September 24, 2014 4:42 PM EDT

http://wpmedia.ottawacitizen.com/2014/09/google-streetview-image-of-the-quality-hotel-290-rideau-st.jpg?w=800

The Quality Hotel at Rideau Street and King Edward Avenue is set to be sold to an undisclosed buyer who recently made an unsolicited offer on the property.

About 45 employees were told last week that the Quality Hotel will close around Dec. 1, when the sale is set to close, said Lyla Radmanovich, a spokeswoman for current owner InnVest Real Estate Investment Trust. The purchase price was not disclosed.

“The new owner wanted the building to be empty upon the transaction (closing),” Radmanovich said. “So, obviously at a later date this new buyer I’m sure will announce his future plans for the property.”

Publicly traded InnVest will offer career counselling to its employees from the 290 Rideau St. hotel, she said. In a statement, InnVest said the company accepted the offer “in order to capitalize on the value of its portfolio.”

“They’re working with guests with future reservations … that way they’re transferred to other properties,” Radmanovich said.

The sale of the 212-guest room building, and 112 underground parking spots, doesn’t affect the company’s five other hotels in Ottawa, Radmanovich said. They are the Comfort Inn Ottawa East, Kanata Comfort Inn, Kanata Holiday Inn, Les Suites, and TraveLodge Ottawa East.

A spokeswoman for the University of Ottawa, which is a short walk away and is looking to increase its student accommodation, said it has no involvement in the purchase.

cmills@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/CarysMills

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/quality-hotel-on-rideau-sold-as-of-dec-1

rocketphish
Sep 24, 2014, 11:29 PM
:previous: The next U of O residence building or Claridge Plaza 7 & 8?

citydwlr
Sep 24, 2014, 11:44 PM

My thought exactly :(

I wonder what this means for the Ottawa Little Theatre (if anything)? Are they attached/affiliated to the hotel in any way?

Also, are there limitations in place to prevent developers (like Claridge) from buying up too much prime real estate in a particular neighbourhood?

J.OT13
Sep 24, 2014, 11:54 PM
For years we heard about the need for new hotel accommodations and were promised a new largest (500-600 room) hotel as a direct result of the new Convention Centre. Now all we've seen is 3 new, fairly small hotels planned or u/c (ALT, Hyatt and Le Germain Boutique Hotel) and 5-6 medium to large hotels close down all together.

kwoldtimer
Sep 25, 2014, 12:55 AM

Student apartment seems a good guess.

acottawa
Sep 25, 2014, 11:39 AM
[B]Quality Hotel on Rideau sold as of Dec. 1

That's what, the 5th hotel to close in the last 2 years (former Delta, Minto, Travelodge, Holiday Inn and this one) and downtown is only getting two half hotels under construction as replacements.

OTSkyline
Sep 25, 2014, 2:11 PM
I work in a downtown hotel and I definitely see the impact of all these other hotels closing. Our hotel used to run around 70-80% occupancy most of the time with the odd sold-out night maybe every 2 weeks. Now, we are usually sold-out at least 3 to 4 nights per week! We constantly get people calling and walking in and trying to get reservations but we have to turn them down saying we are sold-out and this is happening city wide... People always ask; "Oh, is there some sort of special event or convention going on? Which we reply.. no... it's just always busy like this now".

I've seen a couple of nights where the entire city was sold out and the only thing available was the Comfort Inn in Arnprior for $300/night. (Literally everything in Ottawa and Gatineau (including the motels and inns in Vanier) were completely sold out...

c_speed3108
Sep 25, 2014, 2:29 PM
Since the U of O is saying it is not involved, my best guess would be that it will become a private student rez, similar to the one at Laurier and Friel in the former retirement home.

phil235
Sep 25, 2014, 2:55 PM
I work in a downtown hotel and I definitely see the impact of all these other hotels closing. Our hotel used to run around 70-80% occupancy most of the time with the odd sold-out night maybe every 2 weeks. Now, we are usually sold-out at least 3 to 4 nights per week! We constantly get people calling and walking in and trying to get reservations but we have to turn them down saying we are sold-out and this is happening city wide... People always ask; "Oh, is there some sort of special event or convention going on? Which we reply.. no... it's just always busy like this now".

I've seen a couple of nights where the entire city was sold out and the only thing available was the Comfort Inn in Arnprior for $300/night. (Literally everything in Ottawa and Gatineau (including the motels and inns in Vanier) were completely sold out...

Maybe conditions are right for a second Rideau Centre hotel? They would have to start soon if they want to be open for 2017.

YOWetal
Sep 25, 2014, 3:17 PM
Maybe conditions are right for a second Rideau Centre hotel? They would have to start soon if they want to be open for 2017.

Is there already an approved location for this?

YOWflier
Sep 25, 2014, 3:20 PM

I've seen a couple of nights where the entire city was sold out and the only thing available was the Comfort Inn in Arnprior for $300/night. (Literally everything in Ottawa and Gatineau (including the motels and inns in Vanier) were completely sold out...That is absolutely nuts. Thanks for the neat information.

LeadingEdgeBoomer
Sep 25, 2014, 4:22 PM
Since the U of O is saying it is not involved, my best guess would be that it will become a private student rez, similar to the one at Laurier and Friel in the former retirement home.

The Friel Residence is privately owned , but the university has a long term lease, and manages the student residence. So the university is involved with this one.

Campus Suites Inc bought the Holiday Inn on Cooper St. It will turn it into a student residence that Campus Suite manages. Not managed by the university, and no involvement by the university.

I would not be surprised if Campus Suites or a competitor is a buyer of the Quality Inn.

phil235
Sep 25, 2014, 4:29 PM
Is there already an approved location for this?

It's been in various plans over the years, but I don't think there is any specific site that has been designated.

There were musings that it would be incorporated into the current expansion, but that didn't happen. I guess the possiblity of building on top remains, but the most likely spot would seem to be that small lot that remains to the east of Nordstrom.

1overcosc
Sep 25, 2014, 4:32 PM
If hotels are that overcapacity, shouldn't there be quite a market demand for them? What's going on here? At this rate the city is going to have to step in soon.

J.OT13
Sep 25, 2014, 4:33 PM
If hotels are that overcapacity, shouldn't there be quite a market demand for them? What's going on here? At this rate the city is going to have to step in soon.

Plenty of room between Nordstrom and Nicholas. The only question is, what will happen to the Registrar's Office?

c_speed3108
Sep 25, 2014, 4:38 PM
The Friel Residence is privately owned , but the university has a long term lease, and manages the student residence. So the university is involved with this one.

Campus Suites Inc bought the Holiday Inn on Cooper St. It will turn it into a student residence that Campus Suite manages. Not managed by the university, and no involvement by the university.

I would not be surprised if Campus Suites or a competitor is a buyer of the Quality Inn.

Not Rideau and Friel (that one is univ leased). LAURIER and Friel is another one that is entirely private with no association to university expect proximity and marketing to students.

citydwlr
Sep 25, 2014, 4:51 PM
It's been in various plans over the years, but I don't think there is any specific site that has been designated.

There were musings that it would be incorporated into the current expansion, but that didn't happen. I guess the possibility of building on top remains, but the most likely spot would seem to be that small lot that remains to the east of Nordstrom.

I too was under the impression a hotel may go on Nicholas somewhere. From the NCC Approval document (http://www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca/sites/default/files/pubs/2013-p04e-rideau-centre.pdf)(PDF):

Potential future phases may include hotel/conference facility along Nicholas St (from section 5.2 Impacts)

As others have pointed out, assuming if one gets built, it will likely be located in the "future development site" shown in the following graphic from the CTV News website (http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/photo-galleries/rideau-centre-redevelopment-1.1472364):

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.1472404!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_1020/image.jpg

citydwlr
Sep 25, 2014, 4:56 PM
Plenty of room between Nordstrom and Nicholas. The only question is, what will happen to the Registrar's Office?

Good question! It's a heritage building, no? They'll probably engulf all or part of the building like they did with the Grant House at Performance Court...I don't think they can tear it down.

rocketphish
Sep 25, 2014, 5:46 PM
Good question! It's a heritage building, no? They'll probably engulf all or part of the building like they did with the Grant House at Performance Court...I don't think they can tear it down.

You're right, it can't be torn down... but it can be moved, à la Horticulture Building.

Harley613
Sep 25, 2014, 6:08 PM
I have long imagined it being integrated into the podium of a new hotel, but I think you're probably right: It will be moved.

teej1984
Sep 25, 2014, 6:13 PM

I've always wanted to see it become a cool bar :)

OTSkyline
Sep 25, 2014, 7:08 PM
I think the best sites for a future hotel tower would be;

1) Across the street from the Quality Inn around the Rideau/King Edward intersection.

2) Rideau Centre Expansion. Timeline is questionable, also, is there any way that Westin might have an agreement with the mall company to prevent them from opening a competing hotel at Rideau?

3) Somewhere in centretown/downtown.. Either northeast close to existing downtown (between Elgin, Somerset, Bank, Lisgar) OR closer to museum of nature and the Queensway .. in so-called SoBa. This area is becoming nice with condos, restaurants, the museum etc... could be a nice addition. Not DIRECTLY dowtown but still pretty close to parliament, canal and rideau centre/market. (between Elgin, Queensway, Bank and Gladstone).

Even more fun, let's find some cool hotel designs we'd like to see in Ottawa...

OTSkyline
Sep 25, 2014, 7:28 PM
Here are some design ideas I'd like to see:

Curved glass building (like the Vdara Hotel in Las Vegas)
http://www10.aeccafe.com/blogs/arch-showcase/files/2012/03/MGM_Page_03.jpg

I like the top design of Trump Toronto. Imagine having this in Centretown close to Museum of nature and SoBa and Queensway and a top-floor bar/lounge overlooking North towards downtown, parliament and the Gatineau Hills :slob:
http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/00317/trump06re03_317581artw.jpg

Maybe a circular midrise/tower seeing as most of our downtown buildings are all square?
http://sfbayview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Bank_of_International_Settlements.jpg

I also like Trump Vancouver which is going up right now. Love the twisting-tower effect..
http://hospitalitybusinessnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Trump-vancouver.jpg

phil235
Sep 25, 2014, 7:39 PM
2) Rideau Centre Expansion. Timeline is questionable, also, is there any way that Westin might have an agreement with the mall company to prevent them from opening a competing hotel at Rideau?

Don't think so, as a second hotel has long been in the conceptual plans for the Rideau Centre.

drawarc
Sep 25, 2014, 9:02 PM
I think the best sites for a future hotel tower would be;

1) Across the street from the Quality Inn around the Rideau/King Edward intersection.

3) Somewhere in centretown/downtown.. Either northeast close to existing downtown (between Elgin, Somerset, Bank, Lisgar) OR closer to museum of nature and the Queensway .. in so-called SoBa. This area is becoming nice with condos, restaurants, the museum etc... could be a nice addition. Not DIRECTLY dowtown but still pretty close to parliament, canal and rideau centre/market. (between Elgin, Queensway, Bank and Gladstone).

Even more fun, let's find some cool hotel designs we'd like to see in Ottawa...

At one time, a hotel was proposed where Rideau LCBO is located:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2194&dat=19830111&id=JaQyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Fu8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=1464,120517

Kitchissippi
Sep 26, 2014, 12:35 AM
Although it is new-ish, they could always tear down the Red Garage and build on top of it. It's actually great spot for a tower.

Urbanarchit
Sep 26, 2014, 1:26 AM
Although it is new-ish, they could always tear down the Red Garage and build on top of it. It's actually great spot for a tower.

Do you mean the Rideau Centre garage? That's true, it's a good spot for a tower to go up, which would definitely help enliven that section of Nicholas. As well, as the plans for this section of Rideau call for Nicholas to be pedestrianized from Rideau to Besserer, it might be even nicer for additional hotels.

Harley613
Sep 26, 2014, 3:52 AM
At one time, a hotel was proposed where Rideau LCBO is located:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2194&dat=19830111&id=JaQyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Fu8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=1464,120517

Isn't Claridge currently proposing three or four towers on the Metro/King Edward lot?

rocketphish
Sep 26, 2014, 4:04 AM
Isn't Claridge currently proposing three or four towers on the Metro/King Edward lot?

Yup.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=6348566

gjhall
Sep 26, 2014, 4:05 PM
Yup.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=6348566

Yes, but only the Metro portion, not the LCBO building or their part of the parking lot.

Urbanarchit
Sep 26, 2014, 4:33 PM
Has there been any news about the Civic Hospital (https://www.flickr.com/photos/38958794@N00/14655329679/sizes/l) acquiring land for expansion? (Photo not mine, but is an interesting view of it's messy campus).

rocketphish
Sep 26, 2014, 4:42 PM
It's been discussed quite a bit, and now it's official.

2014 Mandate letter: Municipal Affairs and Housing
Premier's instructions to the Minister on priorities for the year 2014 (https://www.ontario.ca/government/2014-mandate-letter-municipal-affairs-and-housing)

Ontario Building Code to allow six-storey wood frame buildings

Ontario is set to make changes to its Building Code that will allow the construction of wood-frame buildings of up to six storeys, according to a government release.

"Building Code changes to mid-rise wood construction will give builders and the public even safer, more flexible building options. Our made-in-Ontario model for mid-rise wood provides the highest requirements for fire safety in Canada," said Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing Ted McKeekin.

The government says the changes will give builders a safe option that can help make building a home more affordable and the flexibility to construct pedestrian-oriented buildings that enhance landscapes while maintaining safety for pedestrians.

The changes are scheduled to officially kick in Jan.1, 2015.

The revised Building Code will also roll in new safety requirement for wood frame building that include, building stairwells with non-combustible materials and roofs that are combustion resistant.

The Ontario government says these regulations are the most rigorous in Canada.

A Private Member's Bill was introduced in 2012 by MPP Thunder Bay-Atikokan, Bill Mauro, to allow six-storey wood frame construction in Ontario.

It is gratifying to see Ontario listening to the needs of Northern communities with today's announcement," he said in a press statement. "The goal of increasing the use of wood in Ontario's construction industry has been achieved. As the Minister of Natural Resources & Forestry, I am pleased by the jobs that will be created through expanded use of this sustainable resource."

Some members of the building industry are applauding the recently announced amendment.

"Communities across Ontario, from London to Thunder Bay, will all benefit from the housing, rental and office opportunities that this building code decision provides," said Ontario Home Builders' Association CEO Joe Vaccaro. "And we look forward to seeing Ontario's first six-storey wood projects completed in 2015."

British Columbia if the first province to approve six-storey wood buildings in 2009, constructing over 100 building projects and 5,000 new housing and rental options,

by DCN NEWS SERVICES Sep 23, 2014

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/Government/News/2014/9/Ontario-Building-Code-to-allow-six-storey-wood-frame-buildings-1002227W/

rocketphish
Sep 26, 2014, 4:43 PM
Taller wood frame buildings raise fire risk, firefighter group says
Ontario raises allowable height from four to six storeys

CBC News Posted: Sep 26, 2014 8:46 AM ET Last Updated: Sep 26, 2014 8:46 AM ET

Firefighters are concerned changes that allow Ontario builders to erect taller wood frame buildings will pose a greater safety risk, citing last year's fire at a Kingston, Ont. housing complex under construction as an example of what could happen.

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing made changes to the Ontario Building Code this week to raise the height of wood frame buildings from four storeys to six storeys high.

The ministry said the changes will make building a home more affordable and supports "more attractive, pedestrian-oriented buildings that enhance streetscapes."

New safety requirements for wood frame buildings include building stairwells with non-combustible materials and roofs that are combustion resistant, the ministry said in a statement Tuesday.

But Scott Marks with the International Association of Fire Fighters said the safety measures aren't enough.

Bigger buildings mean more fuel for fires

"The increase in the amount of wood in the structure increases the fuel load," said Marks. "When you start to tally up the wood in those buildings there is an incredible amount of potential fuel load for a fire and we've seen that in numerous wood structure buildings that have been burned while under construction, most recently in Kingston."

On Dec. 17 last year, a massive fire broke out at a housing complex under construction at 663 Princess Street in Kingston. So sudden was the onset and spread of the fire it forced a crane operator to climb to the top of the crane's boom and hang there until he could be rescued by a search and rescue helicopter.

The fire forced the evacuation of nearby buildings, and residents were not able to return home for months.

The builder and contractor in that incident are facing 22 charges from Ontario’s Ministry of Labour for failing to take proper precautions and impeding a Ministry investigation looking into the fire.

Marks said that fire raised questions about building code rules.

"All things being perfect, none of these building will start to burn. But our concern is if they do, how does leave the occupants and firefighters vulnerable? It just leaves a lot of concerns for us," he said.

Wood frame buildings may improve affordability

The Canadian Wood Council has been pushing for the change in height requirement, but president Michael Giroux said his group wants to work with firefighters to keep the buildings safe.

"Firefighters should be concerned about any new innovation that's brought in to the codes. We seek to engage them in our discussions," said Giroux.

Giroux said the change will allow builders to lower costs, and potentially make buying or renting property more affordable for residents and businesses alike.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/taller-wood-frame-buildings-raise-fire-risk-firefighter-group-says-1.2778608

Urbanarchit
Sep 26, 2014, 5:07 PM
Personally, I'm not a hugely in favour of wood-frame buildings, at least as they don't tend to be very sound-proof. However, I question the firefighter's group thinking. If it's unacceptable for a 6-storey building to be made of wood, why is it acceptable for a 2- or 3-storey house to be made of wood? Would they both pose the same risks in regards to fire safety?

Though, as we're learning in a class I'm taking, there are newer regulations and materials where wood is now considered quite safe. There's an intumescent material (name eludes me), that is used to cover all wood surfaces that bubbles up and hardens into a shell that protects the wood when heated. There's also other techniques like charring the exterior, which makes it fire-proof, as well.

The fire in Kingston was not using wood that was properly treated, which is why we saw the damage it caused.

Harley613
Sep 26, 2014, 6:05 PM
Yes, but only the Metro portion, not the LCBO building or their part of the parking lot.

Ahh yes, I just looked at the site plan. I thought it was the whole block. Thanks.

Buggys
Sep 26, 2014, 11:30 PM
Personally, I'm not a hugely in favour of wood-frame buildings, at least as they don't tend to be very sound-proof. However, I question the firefighter's group thinking. If it's unacceptable for a 6-storey building to be made of wood, why is it acceptable for a 2- or 3-storey house to be made of wood? Would they both pose the same risks in regards to fire safety?

Though, as we're learning in a class I'm taking, there are newer regulations and materials where wood is now considered quite safe. There's an intumescent material (name eludes me), that is used to cover all wood surfaces that bubbles up and hardens into a shell that protects the wood when heated. There's also other techniques like charring the exterior, which makes it fire-proof, as well.

The fire in Kingston was not using wood that was properly treated, which is why we saw the damage it caused.

Shorter buildings have less wood, so smaller fire, which would be easier to put out.

Also, the water hose and ladder can more easily reach lower levels.

The intumescent material will never make wood as fireproof as concrete or stone. Scratch up the surface, and you're easily back to pure wood again.

It's all about mitigating risks at the start. Frankly I would much prefer it the old way, where larger buildings are forced to use more durable materials -- higher cost upfront, but more economical in the long run.

Urbanarchit
Sep 27, 2014, 12:05 AM
Shorter buildings have less wood, so smaller fire, which would be easier to put out.

Also, the water hose and ladder can more easily reach lower levels.

The intumescent material will never make wood as fireproof as concrete or stone. Scratch up the surface, and you're easily back to pure wood again.

It's all about mitigating risks at the start. Frankly I would much prefer it the old way, where larger buildings are forced to use more durable materials -- higher cost upfront, but more economical in the long run.

The hoses and ladders can reach quite high with the same amount of power as the lower levels. The highest the ladders can usually reach is about 5-6 stories, which is about the maximum height these buildings are allowed to be with wood frame.

You'd really have to take a strong, sharp instrument to some intumescent material to make a scratch deep enough to expose the wood underneath. This was actually discussed in my class where we were given wood to touch and it was thick and felt like hard plastic. As well, it would be difficult to scratch unless it's exposed, which in most cases it isn't. Furthermore, is the entire piece of wood (and every other piece) completely compromised by one scratch? I'm doubtful.

I can understand concern, but I see it as worrying before there's been any empirical proof that a completed 6-storey wood-frame building is worse than a completed 2-storey house.

acottawa
Sep 27, 2014, 12:18 AM
The finished building may be safe, but there have been several big fires at wood building construction sites before all the fire protection is put in (one in Kingston last winter and a big one in Vancouver a few years ago).

I agree with those who said a lack of soundproofing is a problem. I stayed at a wooden hotel in Whistler last year and the sound pretty much ruined it (and it wasn't even loud fornicating or parties or music, just people talking, watching TV, using the washroom, etc).

Buggys
Sep 27, 2014, 2:16 AM
So we are on the same page then, that the risks due to a burning 6 vs 2 level building are higher for the former. Different people have different tolerances for level of residual risk. ...And rightly so! The firefighters will be negatively impacted by this policy change (increased risk of personal injury). On the other hand, it is not clear (at least to me) why we should facilitate short term economic gains, to the possible detriment of longer term economic considerations.

Urbanarchit
Sep 27, 2014, 2:45 AM
So we are on the same page then, that the risks to a burning 6 vs 2 level building are higher for the former. Different people have different tolerances for level of residual risk. ...And rightly so! The firefighters will be negatively impacted by this policy change (increased risk of personal injury). On the other hand, it is not clear (at least to me) why we should facilitate short term economic gains, to the possible detriment of longer term economic considerations.

Actually no, which is why I recommend you reread my points. In a 6-storey wood-frame building there is more wood than in a 2-storey house - that is true. But there isn't an increased risk because of this. It's still easily accessible and the material can be fire retardant. It's just a bunch of people worrying about the possibility of fire without any empirical evidence that despite current construction improvements a larger building is more at risk/ worse than a house.

But I sure hope those firefighters are against ALL wood-frame construction, and not just those at 6 floors. That is to say, I hope they're advocating against using wood in the construction of houses as well, as I'm sure most of the fire they're putting out are those 2-storey homes built without fire-proofing. After all, if they're that worried about fire they should have the O.B.C. changed so homes are made only out of concrete or other materials, and not flammable materials to reduce the risk of fires and deaths.

But here's one more thought: if there's more wood in a 6-storey building than in a 2-storey house, wouldn't it take longer for the building to burn? Just because more wood is used doesn't mean that the fire will spread faster. Therefore, wouldn't this mean the firefighters have a greater chance of putting the fire out and salvaging the building while saving people in the mid-rise than with the house, which could go up in flames much more quickly?

Norman Bates
Sep 27, 2014, 10:38 AM
Firefighters are a conservative lot.

But having said that, this change was about industry selling more wood. Not about improving the protections afforded by the building code.

That's bad public policy - and a myopic view in my opinion.

Buggys
Sep 27, 2014, 12:16 PM
What? A 6 story building burns for longer because once it's burned the damage of 2 stories-worth, it still has fuel for more damage. And since it has more fuel to burn for longer, it probably burns hotter too.

ThaLoveDocta
Sep 29, 2014, 10:20 PM
Actually no, which is why I recommend you reread my points. In a 6-storey wood-frame building there is more wood than in a 2-storey house - that is true. But there isn't an increased risk because of this. It's still easily accessible and the material can be fire retardant. It's just a bunch of people worrying about the possibility of fire without any empirical evidence that despite current construction improvements a larger building is more at risk/ worse than a house.

But I sure hope those firefighters are against ALL wood-frame construction, and not just those at 6 floors. That is to say, I hope they're advocating against using wood in the construction of houses as well, as I'm sure most of the fire they're putting out are those 2-storey homes built without fire-proofing. After all, if they're that worried about fire they should have the O.B.C. changed so homes are made only out of concrete or other materials, and not flammable materials to reduce the risk of fires and deaths.

But here's one more thought: if there's more wood in a 6-storey building than in a 2-storey house, wouldn't it take longer for the building to burn? Just because more wood is used doesn't mean that the fire will spread faster. Therefore, wouldn't this mean the firefighters have a greater chance of putting the fire out and salvaging the building while saving people in the mid-rise than with the house, which could go up in flames much more quickly?

What about wood per capita?
Take the top two floors off a wood condo, how much more fuel is built into other homes for those residents? Single family or town homes where structural wood is not shared, and not 'fire proofed'?

Not only that, this is completely and utterly ridiculous. All new residential wooden mid-rises are sprinklered any way.
The fire in Kingston was ONLY possible because the building wasn't yet occupied or finished.

Complete Hogwash, the lot of em.

Perhaps the concrete lobby has purchased some new fire equipment lately.

SF Thomas
Sep 30, 2014, 5:53 AM
I'd add that an all wood apartment building or condo poses more risk to a larger number of people. It is easier to evacuate 2 to 6 people who may live in a single family home compared to the 30 or 50 that could live in a small, 5 or 6 story apartment building.

Radster
Sep 30, 2014, 2:04 PM
Fire risk aside, wood construction just doesn't have the lifespan and durability of concrete construction. Find me some some buildings in European old towns, aged 300-500 years that are built of wood.

What is the lifespan of a 6 storey wooden condo? I guess most people don't really care as they will only live in such a building for 5-10-20 years max anyway. But for the sake of having nice buildings in a city that age well and become landmarks down the road, its just not possible with cheap wood construction of a 6 storey condo block. This is purely industry driven, for max profits. Build cheap now, incur high maintenance costs, and a set lifespan when it will be demolished and rebuilt and the cycle continues. But hey, it fuels our wood industry! lol

Urbanarchit
Sep 30, 2014, 3:05 PM
*duplicate*

Urbanarchit
Sep 30, 2014, 3:09 PM
Fire risk aside, wood construction just doesn't have the lifespan and durability of concrete construction. Find me some some buildings in European old towns, aged 300-500 years that are built of wood.

What is the lifespan of a 6 storey wooden condo? I guess most people don't really care as they will only live in such a building for 5-10-20 years max anyway. But for the sake of having nice buildings in a city that age well and become landmarks down the road, its just not possible with cheap wood construction of a 6 storey condo block. This is purely industry driven, for max profits. Build cheap now, incur high maintenance costs, and a set lifespan when it will be demolished and rebuilt and the cycle continues. But hey, it fuels our wood industry! lol

To begin, wood-frame does not mean the entire building is made only of wood, as there are many other materials used in the construction of these buildings. There are a many different ways that wood is made suitable for construction, with rigourous testing and milling to get the best quality wood. It's not as though they just cut down a tree into pieces and right there is the wood.

Actually, for about a year prior the wood is processed and placed in something like an oven which removes the moisture from the wood so that it is suitable for construction (19% moisture content at least, but lower is better). As long as the lumber is not exposed to moisture, it can last a very long time holding heavy loads. To prevent it from being exposed to moisture, we use vapour barriers and other techniques to reduce exposure that could lead to damage. Then you have cladding and partitions that are constructed that protect the wood (cladding can be aluminum, concrete, bricks, etc). Wood-frame buildings also sit on concrete foundations.

But buildings made of concrete and other materials also decay quite easily, don't forget. Surely you don't think that any of the office buildings or condo buildings going up are going to last 500 years in perfect condition. They have flaws as well. In fact, without proper maintenance many of the older buildings in Ottawa wouldn't be standing much anymore. Those brick homes in Centretown aren't going to many more centuries unless they're renovated, and in many cases we may have to see the bricks replaced.

Also, wood construction is cheaper, but does not mean it's poor quality. And it's interesting that you think the reason this is being pushed is so the lumber industry can make more money, but you don't think companies manufacturing concrete and metals haven't also been pushing to make more money.

Here is Shirakawa Mura in Japan. There many houses in this village made completely of wood and other organic materials (no stones, no concrete, no metal) that date from the 19th century. They do experience heavy snowfall (https://cdn4.gbot.me/photos/wx/Br/1287782128/Myozen_ji_temple-Historic_Villages_of_Shir-20000000000074387-500x375.jpg), as well. It's a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

http://www.japanspecialist.co.uk/files/2013/05/Shirakawago_Japanese_Old_Village_1.jpg

Japan, China, and Korea used wood extensively in housing, and especially in shrines and temples.
http://i.imgur.com/g9NtP0w.jpg?3

You can also see many examples of extant wooden buildings in Europe that are centuries old, and that people still enjoy. Here is Lord Leycester Hospital, in Warwick, UK, and it dates to 1571. There are some other materials used for the foundation, but wood is largely used in the construction.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/95/Lord_Leycester_Hospital_-Warwick3.jpg/800px-Lord_Leycester_Hospital_-Warwick3.jpg

Russia (http://theflyingtortoise.blogspot.ca/2013/08/the-remarkable-old-wooden-churches-of.html)also used wood extensively for construction.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-70e8ACoAWe8/UgRGTbuQ-GI/AAAAAAAARKY/JGgmhiuR8HA/s1600/remarkable-old-wooden-churches-of-northern-russia-siberia-photographers-ivan-yakovlevich-bilibin-and-richard-davies-old-surviving-wooden-structures-built-with-no-nails-the-flying-tortoise-009.jpg

These examples involve exposed wood, while wood-frame buildings are wood-framed, in which, as I've previously mentioned, the structure of the building is made in wood, but it covered with other materials to protect it. There are also other examples elsewhere where wood was used to build 9 storey buildings and taller with no problems, but I guess people who pay little attention to construction wouldn't be aware of any of that.

Sure, a building made of stone does have a longer lifespan, but wooden homes can also last centuries. On another note, you don't think that Gotham is going to last several centuries because it was made entirely with concrete, steel and glass, do you? Many of those buildings are susceptible as well, and as we've seen several times in Ottawa will also be demolished and replaced with something more modern.

1overcosc
Sep 30, 2014, 3:12 PM
My apartment is in a concrete building built in 1958, and it's pretty worn, although my landlord is investing in quite the overhaul (new heating system installed last week, walls rebuilt on the top floor, plans to redo all the flooring in the next 5-10 years, etc.). I have heard that things from the 1950s/1960s/1970s era have extremely short lifespans compared to anything before or after that era, but still, it makes you think. 1958 is really not that long ago.

Urbanarchit
Sep 30, 2014, 3:28 PM
My apartment is in a concrete building built in 1958, and it's pretty worn, although my landlord is investing in quite the overhaul (new heating system installed last week, walls rebuilt on the top floor, plans to redo all the flooring in the next 5-10 years, etc.). I have heard that things from the 1950s/1960s/1970s era have extremely short lifespans compared to anything before or after that era, but still, it makes you think. 1958 is really not that long ago.

True, we're not building eternal buildings anymore. I read that in Japan, a building's lifespan is only 26 years in a city before it's demolished and replaced with something else that's better and more modern. We're seeing other highrises in Ottawa and Toronto being replaced or renovated, too.

Even take look at Parliament Hill - that's not wood-frame or uses much wood, and it's not doing so well without all of those renovations it's undergoing. And the original still burned down, killing many people.

teej1984
Sep 30, 2014, 6:17 PM
True, we're not building eternal buildings anymore. I read that in Japan, a building's lifespan is only 26 years in a city before it's demolished and replaced with something else that's better and more modern.

I wonder if that's for earthquake reasons.

Urbanarchit
Sep 30, 2014, 6:21 PM
I wonder if that's for earthquake reasons.
I dunno. It could be a part of it, but they tend to build taller buildings anti-seismic now. I can't remember the exact details but I think it had to do with the economy of cities or something like that. Space is so limited, as well, that in order to make room they have to demolish a lot of the older buildings and replace them with something better.

There was something I read about houses. We see a lot of new houses being built on lots because apparently only the property is worth anything. People will live in their house for their entire lives because they can't sell it to make money off of the building, so the new owners buy the property and replace the house with something that suits them better. I don't know, I think this is what I read: Why is Japan Crazy about Housing? (http://www.archdaily.com/450212/why-japan-is-crazy-about-housing/).

S-Man
Oct 1, 2014, 12:09 AM
There's a seven-storey wooden office building in Prince George, B.C.

citydwlr
Oct 6, 2014, 4:33 PM
From Westboro BIAs (https://twitter.com/westboroBIA) Twitter feed:

Raise a glass to the impending arrival of @westboroBIA 's newest addition -- The Barley Mow! #ottwestboro http://barleymow.com/

[Source (https://twitter.com/westboroBIA/status/519148659909607426)]

There's no indication as to where this is going just yet...at least not via Twitter.

* UPDATE: Found out (https://twitter.com/Kitchissippi/status/518420322652274688) The Barley Mow is going in the space beside the Ten Spot (which is beside the Kiddie Kobler and Dairy Queen - across the street from MEC):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzHMiSFCIAAfkBu.jpg

I also drove by 412 Churchill (https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.3918002,-75.7536026,3a,75y,235.43h,88.51t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sEe0Ji4Vgzd5_DQYSW77tfw!2e0!6m1!1e1) on the weekend and noticed the windows were papered up. And I stumbled on this posting on Spacelist (https://spacelist.ca/p/on/ottawa/412_churchill_ave_n/ground_floor) that indicates the ground floor retail space has been leased.

UPDATE: Just found this post on Twitter (https://twitter.com/Kitchissippi/status/518793724315574272) from Kitchissippi Times as well:

Another coffee shop for #OttWestboro? #Ottcity sign in the window indicates it's Equator Coffee.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzMgJEGIUAEZbR8.jpg

MountainView
Oct 6, 2014, 5:44 PM
From Westboro BIAs (https://twitter.com/westboroBIA) Twitter feed:

[Source (https://twitter.com/westboroBIA/status/519148659909607426)]

There's no indication as to where this is going just yet...at least not via Twitter.

* UPDATE: Found out (https://twitter.com/Kitchissippi/status/518420322652274688) The Barley Mow is going in the space beside the Ten Spot (which is beside the Kiddie Kobler and Dairy Queen - across the street from MEC):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzHMiSFCIAAfkBu.jpg

I walked by this location on Wednesday and workers were inside crafting the wooden bar seats, etc. I knew it would be a restaurant but wasn't sure which one. Wonder if they'll have room for a small patio in the summer? Clock Tower thrives with its large patio. Great addition to the neighbourhood though.

edit: Upon further review... is there room for a rooftop patio up there? Seems like it!

Urbanarchit
Oct 6, 2014, 6:46 PM
UPDATE: Just found this post on Twitter (https://twitter.com/Kitchissippi/status/518793724315574272) from Kitchissippi Times as well:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzMgJEGIUAEZbR8.jpg

Super glad that building on Churchill is going to be used.

Boxster
Oct 6, 2014, 7:43 PM
Super glad that that building on Churchill is going to be used.

Don't you like it when on line menus do not show any prices. Drives me nuts!!!

gjhall
Oct 6, 2014, 7:57 PM
edit: Upon further review... is there room for a rooftop patio up there? Seems like it!

Yup!

Kitchissippi
Oct 6, 2014, 10:33 PM
A pub next to a funeral parlour... they'll serve spirits, cask(et) aged no less.

Beedok
Oct 7, 2014, 11:58 PM
Is there a thread for the Broccolini building on MacRae St.?

gjhall
Oct 8, 2014, 12:29 AM
Is there a thread for the Broccolini building on MacRae St.?

Yes: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=168551&page=6

Beedok
Oct 8, 2014, 12:42 AM
Yes: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=168551&page=6

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it would be city or suburbs and google didn't help.

rocketphish
Oct 12, 2014, 5:00 PM
The city of Ottawa is looking for feedback on the final 5 options for public art on Main Street. Feel free to fill out the online survey (http://fluidsurveys.com/s/Arts_/?p=0&k=&h=0107b979f245e324ec28c56bc331e5bd&s=eyJwYWdlcGF0aCI6IFswXX0%3D&n=.&l=en).

And the winner is...

Public art for Main Street

Ottawa-based artist Stuart Kinmond has been awarded a public art commission for installation on Main Street in the community of Old Ottawa East. The street is scheduled for infrastructure renewal and redesign commencing in spring 2015, and the public art component is expected to be finished and installed when the roadwork is completed in 2017.

http://ottawa.ca/sites/default/files/main_street_art.jpg
Concept for Main^2 by Stuart Kinmond.

Kinmond’s winning proposal will catalyze the creation of a much-needed public gathering space on Main Street. Entitled Main^2 (Main Square), the artwork will be comprised of blue and green geometric-shaped benches shaded by three 6 meter tall towers, each framing colourful multi-layered glass images of the surrounding landscape of Old Ottawa East: the Rideau Canal, the Rideau River and the land between.

http://ottawa.ca/sites/default/files/image3_details.jpg
Main^2 details by Stuart Kinmond

In researching his proposal, Kinmond looked at the community’s ecclesiastical heritage, in particular the prominent presence of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate and Saint Paul University. The association of stained glass with these religious institutions influenced his choice of materials.

Kinmond describes the concept of his proposal:

Underlying the concept for this public artwork is the urge to represent the geographical, historical and cultural features that define Old Ottawa East, yet are largely invisible from this street itself. The windows open up this hidden view to the Main Street. At the same time the landscaped square will provide a community space for resting and socializing.

Main^2 (Main Square) will contribute to the renewal of Main Street by serving as a focal point near the intersection of Hazel Street. This central location will capitalize on the pedestrian flow between the campus of Saint Paul University, the Main Farmers Market and the restaurants, businesses and specialty stores across the street.

Stuart Kinmond trained as an architect in Montréal. In 2013 he won his first public art competition – a City of Ottawa commission for the O-Train expansion. That artwork, entitled locomOtion, will be installed at the Carleton station this fall.

http://ottawa.ca/sites/default/files/image2_market.jpg
Main^2 view from the farmer's market by Stuart Kinmond

The Public Art Program commissions artists’ works for display in public spaces. One percent of funds for municipal development projects are allocated for public art in order to enhance communal spaces and make art accessible to everyone.

The Public Art Program initiated a competition for a new work of art for Main Street in January 2014. Forty-four proposals were received and reviewed by a Peer Assessment Committee. The Peer Assessment Committee chose Kinmond’s proposal based on evaluation criteria that included artistic excellence, experience of the artist, how well the artwork would integrate into the new street design, and comments received during an extensive public consultation process.

Questions? publicartprogram@ottawa.ca

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planning-and-development/transforming-ottawa/public-art-main-street

citydwlr
Oct 16, 2014, 10:26 PM
Anyone know if Frank and Oak (https://www.frankandoak.com/) (Montreal-based menswear chain) is opening a standalone store in Ottawa? I noticed they recently posted a job opportunity for a Store Manager:

JOB DESCRIPTION
You dig the online trend but your heart is still with the brick and mortar stores? We’re looking for someone just like you to manage our store from opening to close over a period of 8 to 12 months.

- Plan, organize and setup new store.
- Train and supervise staff assigned to the shops and events

https://www.smartrecruiters.com/FrankOak/79576459-store-manager-8-12-months

The odd thing is that the job is only for 8-12 months. I would have said it was a Pop-up Shop (like the one they had on Sparks last year), but those don't normally stay open for a minimum of 8 months...

rocketphish
Oct 17, 2014, 3:11 AM
New 'stone frigate' under construction at HMCS Carleton

Don Butler More from Don Butler
Published on: July 7, 2014Last Updated: July 7, 2014 7:48 PM EDT

A new “stone frigate” is rising near the shores of Dow’s Lake following the demolition last year of most of the original HMCS Carleton buildings.

This must be almost done by now...

June 19, 2014. Another great photo by Greg:
http://www.aerialphotographs.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/IMG_6094.jpg

http://www.aerialphotographs.ca/blog/

gmarshall
Oct 17, 2014, 3:00 PM
Here's a shot of what will be HMCS Carleton, taken October 12th:

http://aerialphotographs.ca/sspage/hmcscarleton.jpg

rocketphish
Oct 18, 2014, 2:39 PM
Planning process — broken or just maimed?

Joanne Chianello, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: October 17, 2014, Last Updated: October 17, 2014 5:23 PM EDT

Sarah Fulford wants to build the type of infill the city so desperately desires.

Her plan? A small-scale three-storey building that would replace a parking lot in the ByWard Market area, designed by renowned architecture firm Moriyama and Teshima to complement — but not mimic — the three-storey heritage building next door. Green roof and other energy-saving features. Six rental apartments, including two accessible ground-floor units. Balconies, a small courtyard.

“We’re still capable of nice architecture in this city,” said Fulford hopefully. “It’s not all over.”

But four years after her first consultation with the city, and hundreds of thousands of dollars later, Fulford hasn’t put a shovel in the ground.

“If I knew what it was going to take to get this project off the ground, I never would started,” she said. “At this point, I’m not sure I’ll continue.”

That’s just one side of the story, of course. Like everything in planning, Fulford’s tale — and the city’s response — isn’t remotely straightforward. For example, city officials say that Fulford applied for each application sequentially instead of all at once, and that fees paid directly to the city amounted to about $25,000. But re-designs — ordered by the Ontario Municipal Board after a neighbour appealed a committee of adjustment approval, and not at all in the city’s power to control — have added to the expense. Not to mention the $20,000 Fulford shelled out for a lawyer to represent her at the OMB, and another $15,000 for a planner.

There were heritage committees to deal with, water tables to test — multiple times, months and months apart — bones to identify (they belonged to an animal) and repeated requests for noise reports that, in the end, were deemed unnecessary. Then there’s the tree issue: so-called Manitoba maples, or less charitably, “weed trees”, that Fulford removed because, she said, they were dead. But she didn’t have permission from her neighbour, according to the city, which is now investigating whether to charge Fulford under the tree bylaw.

All this for a project the city actually likes.

Fulford’s example is just the latest in a long list of complaints from those who say the planning process is too onerous, too long-winded and, in the final analysis, too expensive. It’s even become a (minor) election issue.

Stories abound of decision delays of six, nine or more months; builders miss a construction season, or sometimes an entire market cycle. David Wex of Urban Capital, which this week launched a micro-condo project in Centretown, said during Ottawa Architecture Week that he wasn’t pursuing any new projects in Ottawa because it had become too expensive to do business here.

If you don’t feel for the developer, feel for the buyer: such delays make projects more expensive. Worse, the small to mid-size development and architecture firms constructing smaller and mid-sized buildings — the ones we claim to favour over big-scale projects — can’t afford to carry those sorts of costs.

“We need easier applications for projects that comply with the rules,” says planning chair and Alta Vista Coun. Peter Hume, who’s retiring from city politics this year.

Hume believes that once the city has its major planning documents in order, the next challenge is streamlining the process, from moving applications that don’t need committee approval through the system quicker to getting the planning decision to say “yes or no” in a more timely manner so an applicant can regroup.

Even Fulford agrees that processes need to be in place, that neighbours have the right to object to a project. And while Jim Watson concedes that the “city will need to continue to look at improvements,” the incumbent mayor warns that the “efforts to make the process more efficient should also be balanced with the need ensuring the community is involved and notified of upcoming decisions.”

It may be hard to say whether Fulford is completely in the right, but there’s no doubt that the scale and type of infill she wants to build is exactly the kind of intensification we want. And making that process easier should be a planning priority for the next council.

jchianello@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/jchianello

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/1018-col-chianello

citydwlr
Oct 18, 2014, 3:18 PM
:previous: That infill project sounds incredibly frustrating! I hope the planning process does change in the next term. There's no need for all of this red tape.

The project in question is at 90 Guigues street:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__9O18BZ

http://rosmith.squarespace.com/picture/street%20view%203%20rs%20-%20lt%20roofline.jpg?pictureId=11327030&asGalleryImage=true

http://rosmith.squarespace.com/picture/back%20aerial%20view%201.jpg?pictureId=11327032&asGalleryImage=true
[Source (http://rosmith.squarespace.com/folio/professional/)]

* I think this must have been the original rendering - it seems to have changed slightly (probably due to changes requested from the OMB and/or other sources - The new renders can be viewed here (http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Image%20Referencing_Site%20Plan%20Application_Image%20Reference_D07-12-13-0081%20Planning%20Rationale.PDF#page=15))