PDA

View Full Version : General Update/Rumour thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

J.OT13
Mar 28, 2014, 7:52 PM
123 Slater renovations have started. The old brick is getting ripped out. For more info on the project;

http://www.123slater.com/

ars
Mar 28, 2014, 8:04 PM
Is there any evidence that reducing the fees will mean more patios? Where would they go? It seems every restaurant in Ottawa already has a patio. I don't see why they would unilaterally lower the fees. Patios must still be profitable or we wouldn't have so many. I would rather see overtaxed residents get 10 cents back each than give the 2 or 3 cartels that control restaurants in Ottawa a huge windfall.

Well maybe lowering the fee across the board might be overkill, but I agree with what c_speed suggested.

Sparks street, for example, would benefit greatly from restaurants + accompanying patios lining up the street. If the city was to lower the fee for specific places, like Sparks street, it might bring in more tenants and revitalize the street.

YOWetal
Mar 28, 2014, 8:10 PM
Well maybe lowering the fee across the board might be overkill, but I agree with what c_speed suggested.

Sparks street, for example, would benefit greatly from restaurants + accompanying patios lining up the street. If the city was to lower the fee for specific places, like Sparks street, it might bring in more tenants and revitalize the street.

This is a very good suggestion. I would support even going as far as a pilot project with no patio fees for Sparks Street.

Norman Bates
Mar 29, 2014, 12:13 PM
123 Slater renovations have started. The old brick is getting ripped out. For more info on the project;

http://www.123slater.com/

Thanks. I was wondering what they were doing there.

Anyone know who the building's tenants are?

lenderonabender
Mar 31, 2014, 1:08 AM
Thanks. I was wondering what they were doing there.

Anyone know who the building's tenants are?

the building was empty for most of last year after the Feds vacated. not sure if the renos are being undertaken to attract new tenants, or if they've signed any new users.

rocketphish
Apr 10, 2014, 5:28 PM
City of Ottawa taking legal action against Claude Lauzon over run-down schoolhouse

By Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen April 10, 2014 12:53 PM

OTTAWA — The city is resuming litigation against the owner of a rundown Lowertown schoolhouse.

Jan Harder, who chairs Ottawa’s built heritage subcommittee, announced at the start of the committee’s meeting Thursday that the city is going back to court against Claude Lauzon and will take steps to obtain “full compliance by court action and by other means as determined by the chief building official.”

The former Our Lady schoolhouse has deteriorated nearly beyond repair. The city tried to force Lauzon to bring the building at 287 Cumberland St. up to its minimal standards and, after a legal battle last year, the city and Lauzon eventually reached a deal that would allow most of it to be demolished.

Under the agreement, the landlord must document the building and preserve its south and west walls, securing them until the property is redeveloped.

But now the city says Lauzon has failed to commence any of the work to which both sides agreed.

“While the owner has raised concerns about the city’s approval and permitting process over the past few months, some of which the city addressed, this is no way justifies the owner’s failure to even commence work in accordance with the timetable agreed to between the parties,” Harder said.

She said the delay will make it “highly unlikely” that Lauzon will be able to complete the work by the agreed upon deadline. There is also a concern that the building has suffered more damage as a result of “this prolonged neglect and lack of action,” Harder said.

“This is not tolerable,” the Barrhaven councillor said. “The city has been patient and will not stand by to watch heritage buildings being destroyed through neglect and inaction.”

According to Harder, Mayor Jim Watson has directed city clerk and solicitor Rick O’Connor to take steps to revive the court applications that were paused as part of last year’s settlement and to take whatever action is necessary to ensure the building is stabilized and repaired before the next winter.

mpearson@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/mpearson78

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ottawa/City+Ottawa+taking+legal+action+against+Claude+Lauzon+over/9723975/story.html

citydwlr
Apr 11, 2014, 1:41 AM
Lost 19th-century fountain may rise again on LeBreton Flats
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Lost+19th+century+fountain+rise+again+LeBreton+Flats/9720502/story.html

A long-lost fountain dating from the late 1800s could be resurrected as part of National Capital Commission plans to spruce up some of its property in LeBreton Flats.

The improvements will also signal the start of the long-delayed redevelopment LeBreton Flats, Kristmanson added.

The NCC has set aside $2.66 million for the work, most of which will be spent on landscaping the area southeast of Booth Street and a strip of land across from the Canadian War Museum, southwest of Booth.

The NCC plans to hold a “public design charette” — a multi-party design event — in May and hopes to begin work this fall, with completion of the first phase next year. Further “embellishments” might be added in 2016, project manager Richard Daigneault told the NCC board.

rocketphish
Apr 11, 2014, 2:16 AM
Lost 19th-century fountain may rise again on LeBreton Flats

The NCC plans to hold a “public design charette” — a multi-party design event...

Oh geez... here we go again. Do we really need all of Canada's opinion on the placement of a old fountain?

Harley613
Apr 11, 2014, 4:04 AM
Oh geez... here we go again. Do we really need all of Canada's opinion on the placement of a old fountain?

And perhaps 5 different environmental studies...7 community open houses... and a funding commitment from all three levels of government. Hey, It's Ottawa!

McC
Apr 11, 2014, 5:09 AM
The improvements will also signal the start of the long-delayed redevelopment LeBreton Flats, Kristmanson added.

What a curious statement; the "Start"? What's been going on for the past half dozen years?

S-Man
Apr 11, 2014, 5:26 AM
I can only hope the NCC, with the support of the city, buries any significant local Ottawa history as deep as possible, as has been tradition for so long.

And why are we being all non-inclusive by calling the land 'Lebreton Flats'? People in Lethbridge and Surrey weren't consulted to choose that name back in 1815! It's Pimisi Level Ground Area, dammit!

c_speed3108
Apr 11, 2014, 1:23 PM
And perhaps 5 different environmental studies...7 community open houses... and a funding commitment from all three levels of government. Hey, It's Ottawa!

7 Open houses.

There are 13 provinces and territories in confederation. :farmer:

Boxster
Apr 11, 2014, 2:28 PM
12 if you exclude Quebec! :yes:

7 Open houses.

There are 13 provinces and territories in confederation. :farmer:

citizen j
Apr 11, 2014, 6:12 PM
12 if you exclude Quebec! :yes:

er... not cool.

J.OT13
Apr 13, 2014, 3:49 AM
People, please stop making puns about Québec. Last Monday, the province elected a majority Liberal government, guaranteeing at least 4 years of stability and showing all of Canada that separatism is no longer an issue (at least for now).

Back to the subject at hand, parks is the one thing the NCC does right, so I would recommend they skip the public consultations and build the damn green space.

Heritage issues on the other hand might require public consultations.

Which reminds me, anyone notice how the NCC goes across Canada to ask all Canadians what to do with Nationally significant Greenbelts, Parkways and like what... benches? but they never consult the public on big projects like the crap going up on big projects like condo buildings on actual important sites like the Daly site, LeBreton, and CanLands or heritage building demolitions like the former theatre on Sparks (re) or the building on Clarence.

bikegypsy
Apr 13, 2014, 4:02 AM
Which reminds me, anyone notice how the NCC goes across Canada to ask all Canadians what to do with Nationally significant Greenbelts, Parkways and like what... benches? but they never consult the public on big projects like the crap going up on big projects like condo buildings on actual important sites like the Daly site, LeBreton, and CanLands or heritage building demolitions like the former theatre on Sparks (re) or the building on Clarence.

The NCC is such a weird beast; it owns 10% of the land in the region but it's all prime; both mayors of Gatineau and Ottawa are not part of any committees; it waits way too long to try and salvage an heritage building such as the one on Clarence; and only a few members are from the region; it's a despicable, demoralizing organisation and does more harm than good... This thing should be restructured and downsized.

J.OT13
Apr 13, 2014, 4:21 AM
I don't get the why the Feds took away their festivals (the only other thing they did right other than parks) but nothing else.

S-Man
Apr 13, 2014, 4:48 AM

The thing about the NCC is....that it SUCKS! :hell:

bartlebooth
Apr 13, 2014, 2:33 PM
Work is expected to start on Somerset House at Bank and Somerset shortly.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/4422193-somerset-house-work-to-start-soon

citydwlr
Apr 13, 2014, 8:10 PM
Work is expected to start on Somerset House at Bank and Somerset shortly.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/4422193-somerset-house-work-to-start-soon

According to that article, the owner (Shahrasebi) says he's got a potential "local" tenant lined up:

Shahrasebi is keeping the potential tenant hush-hush, including what kind of business it is, but he said the company is a local Ottawa chain that would occupy the entire three-storey building.

I can't even venture a guess as to what "local Ottawa chain" would take up that much space. Maybe a gym (Greco)? A spa (The Spa, Renu, etc...)? Wallacks (with studio and classroom space on upper floors)?

Personally, I kinda saw it as Ottawa's version of the Gladstone Hotel (http://www.gladstonehotel.com/) in Toronto (boutique hotel & art/event space up top and a cafe/restaurant on the bottom).

Looks like it won't be done until at least the Fall of 2015 anyway, so there's plenty of time to speculate ;)

Norman Bates
Apr 13, 2014, 10:04 PM
According to that article, the owner (Shahrasebi) says he's got a potential "local" tenant lined up:

I can't even venture a guess as to what "local Ottawa chain" would take up that much space. Maybe a gym (Greco)? A spa (The Spa, Renu, etc...)? Wallacks (with studio and classroom space on upper floors)?

Personally, I kinda saw it as Ottawa's version of the Gladstone Hotel (http://www.gladstonehotel.com/) in Toronto (boutique hotel & art/event space up top and a cafe/restaurant on the bottom).

Looks like it won't be done until at least the Fall of 2015 anyway, so there's plenty of time to speculate ;)
The Works?

kevinbottawa
Apr 13, 2014, 10:11 PM
The Works?

Three floors for The Works?

kevinbottawa
Apr 13, 2014, 10:13 PM

I can see Greco setting up shop there. Greco is becoming like Shoppers Drug Mart. Taking up some prime real estate.

bikegypsy
Apr 13, 2014, 10:32 PM
Ma Cuisine?

Proof Sheet
Apr 14, 2014, 2:09 AM
I can't even venture a guess as to what "local Ottawa chain" would take up that much space. )

If it wasn't for the clue that it is an Ottawa chain I would have said Shoppers as I think there may be a bit of a gap in the Shoppers coverage area there.

Greek on Wheels? Mr/Prince/King/Queen/ Shawarma? Bridgehead?

gjhall
Apr 14, 2014, 12:15 PM
My best bets are Royal Oak, Bridgehead, ZaZaZa/Ion Almers, or Beckta's group.

McC
Apr 14, 2014, 1:25 PM
Can you image a three-level shawarma spit? craziness.

#allthemeat

teej1984
Apr 14, 2014, 1:44 PM
That would be a great location for a rooftop patio!

S-Man
Apr 14, 2014, 2:00 PM
Can you image a three-level shawarma spit? craziness.

#allthemeat

Oh, yes.

I want it bad!

kevinbottawa
Apr 14, 2014, 2:18 PM
Last year the Bank Street BIA said they wanted to attract a new anchor tenant to create some buzz, similar to when MEC set up shop in Westboro, as well as stores from their wishlist. They were talking about Lululemon, Aldo or Zara. This would be a great location for an anchor store, but I don't think there are any local chains that would qualify as an anchor store (and I doubt there were any local chains on the BIA's wishlist).

Radster
Apr 14, 2014, 4:25 PM
I don't get the why the Feds took away their festivals (the only other thing they did right other than parks) but nothing else.

Seriously, and now with Heritage Canada organizing the festivals, is it any better? I don't think so.

Radster
Apr 14, 2014, 4:28 PM
3 -level local chain?

Giant Tiger

citydwlr
Apr 14, 2014, 4:47 PM
Last year the Bank Street BIA said they wanted to attract a new anchor tenant to create some buzz, similar to when MEC set up shop in Westboro, as well as stores from their wishlist. They were talking about Lululemon, Aldo or Zara. This would be a great location for an anchor store, but I don't think there are any local chains that would qualify as an anchor store (and I doubt there were any local chains on the BIA's wishlist).

Ya, I seem to recall that anchor tenant talk as well. Actually, with all of the condos going up, a CB2 would be pretty good in this location, IMO. These guys seem to set up shop in old Heritage buildings - for example, this one in Toronto (@ Queen & Bathurst):

http://www.blogto.com/listings/design/upload/2012/01/2012121-ext2.jpg
[Source: blogTO (http://www.blogto.com/design/cb2-toronto)]

Someone mentioned Bridgehead earlier - a Bank Street Roastery could be kinda cool, but do they need another one? Plus, there's a Bridgehead a couple blocks down. I thought maybe Nicastros could do something, but at three levels, that's a bit of a stretch (unless an eatery is in the mix as well) - especially with grocery store across the street...

McC
Apr 14, 2014, 5:35 PM
3 -level local chain?

Giant Tiger
good call! Size and location/target market are are all bang on, but could they make the price point of the building work?

teej1984
Apr 14, 2014, 5:37 PM
CB2 would be awesome!!!

Capital Shaun
Apr 15, 2014, 3:51 AM

It's probably to allow the government of the day to have more input into the festivals (like the Canada 150 celebrations in 2017). The NCC is a bit more arms length while Heritage Canada reports directly to a minister.

Jim613
Apr 16, 2014, 1:05 PM
Anyone have any information or thoughts on 18 Nepean St (just east of Tribeca, right in front of Place Bell’s Nepean St side)

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=18+Nepean+Street,+Ottawa,+ON&hl=en&ll=45.418877,-75.690887&spn=0.00003,0.02105&sll=45.485499,-75.626926&sspn=0.228183,0.673599&oq=18+nepe&hnear=18+Nepean+St,+Ottawa,+Ontario+K2P&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=45.419539,-75.692768&panoid=n2AKolul5GgVUlSG4nbLTQ&cbp=12,136.26,,0,-45

Walked by this building the other day and was pretty impressed from the outside. Given it's age (1986 by the couple of websites I found) it's got a nice, simple and sleek design. It's tucked in between a couple of older buildings so it's kind of hard easy to miss.

The prices don't seem to bad for its location, but the condo fees are quite high

Anyone ever been in here are lived there?

Harley613
Apr 16, 2014, 1:26 PM
Neat building..is it ever lost though!
http://s30.postimg.org/tiibcb92o/build.jpg

McC
Apr 16, 2014, 1:28 PM
...is it ever lost though!

including above its own parking garage.

Jim613
Apr 16, 2014, 1:59 PM
Looked around some more and I can see why the prices are low for the area...the units look pretty dated and defintely have the 80's feel inside as opposed to the nice exterior

http://www.royallepage.ca/en/property/ontario/ottawa/18-nepean-st-1101/1704609/mls900427/?ref=1

S-Man
Apr 16, 2014, 8:01 PM
Baseboard heat? Expensive winters!

The building is kinda interesting in that it is forgotten and from the 80s. Didn't think any residential building got built downtown in the 80s.

Urbanarchit
Apr 16, 2014, 8:08 PM
I could be wrong, but I think I saw an interview with Alex Munter on HUB Ottawa, and I think he said he lived here before Central. If that means anything.
I kind of like the apartments west of it.

Uhuniau
Apr 17, 2014, 3:04 AM
3 -level local chain?

Giant Tiger

Hells yeah Giant Tiger!

Bank and Somerset hasn't been the same since Big Buds.

PokerPukka
Apr 17, 2014, 3:22 AM
Hells yeah Giant Tiger!

Bank and Somerset hasn't been the same since Big Buds.

I completely agree! :yes:

This area would fair well to have a multi-level GT Boutique. It was a sad day when Big Buds shut down.

Jim613
Apr 17, 2014, 1:21 PM
Neat building..is it ever lost though!
http://s30.postimg.org/tiibcb92o/build.jpg

After seeing the aerial view, the building is definitely showing its age. From above, it just looks like a “meh” building. I guess the front got a facelift because it looks pretty modern from the street

c_speed3108
Apr 17, 2014, 1:29 PM
After seeing the aerial view, the building is definitely showing its age. From above, it just looks like a “meh” building. I guess the front got a facelift because it looks pretty modern from the street

In a certain sense it is unremarkable except that it is extremely well located and appears to be in pretty good condition. I could see it being Ottawa apartment some MP or perhaps a crash pad for some lawyer working for one of these large multi-city law firms that is sometimes in Ottawa for a case or something since it is near the court house.

theoldv
Apr 17, 2014, 2:20 PM
In a certain sense it is unremarkable except that it is extremely well located and appears to be in pretty good condition. I could see it being Ottawa apartment some MP or perhaps a crash pad for some lawyer working for one of these large multi-city law firms that is sometimes in Ottawa for a case or something since it is near the court house.

for a long time that was quite an amazing location, but now they can upgrade to the merit..

gjhall
Apr 17, 2014, 3:11 PM

I once worked for an MP who had previously owned one of these units.

c_speed3108
Apr 17, 2014, 3:38 PM
I once worked for an MP who had previously owned one of these units.

This is the sort of market I was figuring. Units are not too expensive and well located. If it is someones second home, or home away from home, it would not need to have a ton of frills. A solid, utilitarian building would do just fine. Needs to be well located at a reasonable price.

Louis-Riel
Apr 18, 2014, 12:33 AM
This is the sort of market I was figuring. Units are not too expensive and well located. If it is someones second home, or home away from home, it would not need to have a ton of frills. A solid, utilitarian building would do just fine. Needs to be well located at a reasonable price.

It's a nice building that is going through some renovations these days - the condo board is fairly active. Last I heard, they were replacing windows and doors. How this building stands out, as far as I'm concerned, is the fact that there are units that go through the entire building with views on both sides. We rarely see that in Ottawa. The units are also fairly large and I suspect that the price per sq. foot is quite good.
In the condo market, you're a sucker if you buy for the look of the place - sq. footage is way more important. When all of the buildings are old, the older ones from the 1980s, if well maintained, will probably better retain their value.

Norman Bates
Apr 18, 2014, 12:26 PM
Anyone have any information or thoughts on 18 Nepean St (just east of Tribeca, right in front of Place Bell’s Nepean St side)

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=18+Nepean+Street,+Ottawa,+ON&hl=en&ll=45.418877,-75.690887&spn=0.00003,0.02105&sll=45.485499,-75.626926&sspn=0.228183,0.673599&oq=18+nepe&hnear=18+Nepean+St,+Ottawa,+Ontario+K2P&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=45.419539,-75.692768&panoid=n2AKolul5GgVUlSG4nbLTQ&cbp=12,136.26,,0,-45

Walked by this building the other day and was pretty impressed from the outside. Given it's age (1986 by the couple of websites I found) it's got a nice, simple and sleek design. It's tucked in between a couple of older buildings so it's kind of hard easy to miss.

The prices don't seem to bad for its location, but the condo fees are quite high

Anyone ever been in here are lived there?
I always thought that was a cool place with the parking above grade. Besides the Merit, it would be my choice in the downtown.

MountainView
Apr 18, 2014, 9:18 PM
Took these photos today Friday April 18th

http://i.imgur.com/hhRu51h.jpg?1?3490

http://i.imgur.com/qOTCEYc.jpg?2

O-Train tracks passing under the garage. Sorry not the best picture!

http://i.imgur.com/Xgygfm9.jpg?2

McC
Apr 23, 2014, 1:50 PM
‘Skylink’ to top landmark Centretown towers: Twin, 27-storey skyscrapers first to capitalize on tall buildings clause
(Mastercraft Starwood declined to share graphics of two, 27-storey towers it's proposing to build at this site at 267 O'Connor St. in Centretown.)
Ottawa East News
By Laura Mueller
http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/4478874--skylink-to-top-landmark-centretown-towers/

Keeping the park under private ownership -- with strong covenants protecting public access and requiring ongoing upkeep in perpetuity -- would probably be in the public interest given the city's very poor record maintaining parks, especially in the core, and allowing for a shallower dig for the parking garage. I don't think city should bend on the spacing between towers rule, though; no amount of sweet talking from Ted Fobert can change the fact that 15 metres, is a significant reduction from 20.

OTSkyline
Apr 23, 2014, 2:31 PM
This SOUNDS really cool and interesting... can't wait to see the actual renders! :notacrook:

waterloowarrior
Apr 23, 2014, 2:39 PM
P+S produces a lot of uninteresting buildings... but a few gems like the new Delta hotel under construction in Toronto. They are also a full service architecture firm that acts as the architect of record (i.e. do the grunt work) for boutique or foreign architects that do the main design.

Urbanarchit
Apr 23, 2014, 4:27 PM
Cormier is also designing a unique feature for a hard-surface parking, drop-off and pedestrian area. They’re calling it the “carpet” and the mosaic of hard materials will resemble something similar Cormier designed for the entrance to the Four Seasons hotel in Toronto.

“It’s pretty cool,” Fobert said. “It’s a parking areas in association with the open space. The vehicular space becomes a patterned material ... it pedestrianizes it and creates an open space.”

There would be room for about four visitor vehicles in unmarked spaces on the “carpet,” Ria said.

This worries me a bit. Is it a public plaza with 4 parking spaces and area to unload passengers from other cars? I don't really like the idea of mixing cars and people, and I don't know if it'll make it the sort of place people would want to visit.

I don't have a picture anymore of the square in front of the Four Seasons, but the red fountain stood out most, the rest didn't seem too appealing. There were no people there, but quite a few cars.

Overall, very interesting project, and if the skywalk goes above the building there will be some very interesting views of Ottawa.

Though, I thought buildings in Centretown south of Gloucester could only be 9 stories? How come this one can be 27?

J.OT13
Apr 23, 2014, 4:44 PM
I think the Hulse, Playfair and McGarry parking lot (as proposed by Charlsfort for a 30 storey tower on stilts) would have been a better place for a landmark tower. It was closer to higher density zoning and existing mid-rise buildings. This one is smack down in the middle of a low-rise area. Skyscraper next to a bunch of early 20th century huses.

OTSkyline
Apr 23, 2014, 7:35 PM
^ True that it might be a bit awkward for a little while but:

1) If these are so nice, it could be a plus as they would stand out more.
2) Being only 3 blocks south of Soho Lisgar and 4 blocks south of TriBeCa, I think development will soon enough start moving south along Bank St and such so.. it won't look so out of place in the future.

Buggys
Apr 23, 2014, 9:57 PM
Quote:

Cormier is also designing a unique feature for a hard-surface parking, drop-off and pedestrian area. They’re calling it the “carpet” and the mosaic of hard materials will resemble something similar Cormier designed for the entrance to the Four Seasons hotel in Toronto.

“It’s pretty cool,” Fobert said. “It’s a parking areas in association with the open space. The vehicular space becomes a patterned material ... it pedestrianizes it and creates an open space.”

There would be room for about four visitor vehicles in unmarked spaces on the “carpet,” Ria said.

This worries me a bit. Is it a public plaza with 4 parking spaces and area to unload passengers from other cars? I don't really like the idea of mixing cars and people, and I don't know if it'll make it the sort of place people would want to visit.

I don't have a picture anymore of the square in front of the Four Seasons, but the red fountain stood out most, the rest didn't seem too appealing. There were no people there, but quite a few cars.

Overall, very interesting project, and if the skywalk goes above the building there will be some very interesting views of Ottawa.

Though, I thought buildings in Centretown south of Gloucester could only be 9 stories? How come this one can be 27?

I agree!

It sounds more like a landscaped, beautified, drop-off area.

It does not sound like a park, where children can play frisbee, dogs play chase, there could be trees, there could be a community garden / play structures / ice rink / etc.

I really don't think this so called park will really function as a park if the City does not have ownership. The way it stands, business interests will prevail, and it will be like an overflow parking lot.

kevinbottawa
Apr 23, 2014, 11:57 PM
I agree!

It sounds more like a landscaped, beautified, drop-off area.

It does not sound like a park, where children can play frisbee, dogs play chase, there could be trees, there could be a community garden / play structures / ice rink / etc.

I really don't think this so called park will really function as a park if the City does not have ownership. The way it stands, business interests will prevail, and it will be like an overflow parking lot.

I think we're overreacting. If it ends up being like what's at the Four Seasons, it looks good to me.

http://www.claudecormier.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/hotel-four-seasons-et-residences-21.jpg

J.OT13
Apr 24, 2014, 12:20 AM
It's a glorified parking lot. Besides, it's not needed; visitors can find a spot on the street. Free and abundant evenings and weekends.

Four Seasons, however, does need a drop off zone and temporary parking lot since it's a hotel!

Anyway, I'll shut up now until I see the actual plans and renderings.

canabiz
Apr 26, 2014, 10:46 AM
As indicated by kevinottawa earlier on the retail thread, the Zellers space on Sparks will be filled with a new microbrewery called "Bier Markt" based in Toronto. They are owned by the same people as Darcy McGee's. I saw it on CBC news, but I can't find any trce of it online.

http://www.thebiermarkt.com/

Is it still on, guys? I was on Sparks last night for Poutine Fest and the windows are still boarded up and the space is still for lease by Morguard.

If I remember correctly, Bier Markt is supposed to open here in late 2014, not sure if that will happen? I check out its website and the Ottawa location is greyed out?

http://www.thebiermarkt.com/location-detail.php?id=1#topContent

You have to wonder if they will draw enough traffic here in the evenings/weekends? For sure there is more than enough during the days with all the government/financial/legal crowds.

J.OT13
Apr 26, 2014, 2:42 PM
Not sure what happened. I too noticed the leasing sign a couple weeks ago.

canabiz
Apr 26, 2014, 3:24 PM
Not sure what happened. I too noticed the leasing sign a couple weeks ago.

They will certainly have their hands full with nearby competition aka the 3 Brewers. I have never been to a Bier Markt so I will reserve my comments but I have been to a couple of local 3 Brewers (downtown and Kanata) and my experiences have always been positive. Decent food, good beer and adequate service.

I don't venture downtown much but certainly welcome another venue to spice up Sparks St. Outside of the *fests* e.g. Poutine Fests, Rib Fests and Canada Day, I am not sure if there are a lot of things to entice people to go to Sparks Street after hours and on the weekend.

P.S. Whatever happens to the idea of building a zipline on Sparks Street from Bank to Elgin?

kevinbottawa
Apr 26, 2014, 6:39 PM
Is it still on, guys? I was on Sparks last night for Poutine Fest and the windows are still boarded up and the space is still for lease by Morguard.

If I remember correctly, Bier Markt is supposed to open here in late 2014, not sure if that will happen? I check out its website and the Ottawa location is greyed out?

http://www.thebiermarkt.com/location-detail.php?id=1#topContent

You have to wonder if they will draw enough traffic here in the evenings/weekends? For sure there is more than enough during the days with all the government/financial/legal crowds.

I asked about Bier Markt about a month ago on the Sparks Street Facebook page. If I remember correctly they said work would start on Bier Markt in May.

S-Man
Apr 26, 2014, 9:04 PM
I don't venture downtown much but certainly welcome another venue to spice up Sparks St. Outside of the *fests* e.g. Poutine Fests, Rib Fests and Canada Day, I am not sure if there are a lot of things to entice people to go to Sparks Street after hours and on the weekend.

It's small, but the Cock and Lion Pub on Sparks just east of Bank fills up on certain nights, even when the strip is cold, windy and dead. They have popular kareoke nights, but virtually no street presence.

kevinbottawa
Apr 28, 2014, 3:24 AM
I see they've changed the branding from "Sparks Street Mall" to "Sparks Street Village". Interesting. I don't think it really has a village feel.

J.OT13
Apr 28, 2014, 4:39 PM
I see they've changed the branding from "Sparks Street Mall" to "Sparks Street Village". Interesting. I don't think it really has a village feel.

Your right; It's a pedestrian street lined with mostly tall buildings in a dense central business district. Nothing villagy about it.

OTSkyline
Apr 28, 2014, 8:53 PM
Speaking of Sparks St, anybody else went there this weekend for Poutine fest?

I work in the area and went Sunday around 1h30pm to grab one for lunch and it seemed like a pretty big turnout.. There were lots of vendors and hundreds and hundreds of people everywhere. 35-45min lineups at most of the stands. I guess it shows that "if you build it, they will come". Shows that SOME people are interested in "fun/interesting activities" and that although Sparks is often dead (especially on weekends), people ARE willing to come.

Maybe a bit of hope for Sparks? :shrug:

kevinbottawa
Apr 28, 2014, 10:29 PM

I work in the area and went Sunday around 1h30pm to grab one for lunch and it seemed like a pretty big turnout.. There were lots of vendors and hundreds and hundreds of people everywhere. 35-45min lineups at most of the stands. I guess it shows that "if you build it, they will come". Shows that SOME people are interested in "fun/interesting activities" and that although Sparks is often dead (especially on weekends), people ARE willing to come.

Between ribfest, poutine fest, buskerfest and New Years Eve, Sparks Street's events are well attended. But until the mix of retailers improves it won't become a destination the other 300+ days of the year.

canabiz
Apr 29, 2014, 1:19 AM

I was there on Friday night and was surprised at the turnout, lineups at every booth although it didn't take us 35 minutes to get our poutine.

I don't mind going to Sparks Street more often if there are more interesting things to do and see, like you said.

Boxster
Apr 29, 2014, 3:42 PM
I think the big turn out was because of the poutines...not the fact that it was on Sparks St.

It could of been held on Le Breton Flats and people would still have showed up.

There are a lot of poutines lovers out there.....however I am not one of them.

S-Man
Apr 29, 2014, 4:01 PM

Heretic.

Boxster
Apr 29, 2014, 4:13 PM
Lol

heretic.

Harley613
Apr 29, 2014, 6:58 PM

BLASPHEMY!!! BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!!!!:hell:

Uhuniau
Apr 30, 2014, 3:35 AM
Heretic.

I move that we burn the witch.

Ackshily, I successfully avoided eating a single poutine during the 'fest. Diet. Sigh.

TOexpat
Apr 30, 2014, 11:39 AM
Could not agree more. It is a shame that such beautiful space is used so poorly. Everything caters to tourists and the lunchtime crowd. Need more folks living in the immediate proximity to change this.

Between ribfest, poutine fest, buskerfest and New Years Eve, Sparks Street's events are well attended. But until the mix of retailers improves it won't become a destination the other 300+ days of the year.

ars
Apr 30, 2014, 7:57 PM
I think the big turn out was because of the poutines...not the fact that it was on Sparks St.

It could of been held on Le Breton Flats and people would still have showed up.

I think that was his point.

You put stuff people desire on Sparks street, and people will come. Obviously no one who came to Poutinefest did so because it was on Sparks street.

waterloowarrior
May 1, 2014, 12:54 AM
https://www.collierscanada.com/~/media/Files/Research/2014/Ottawa%20Market%20Report%20-%20Q1%202014.ashx

Glebe Shoppers site sold to Goldmanco for $7.5 million (Shoppers owns the The Glebe Apothecary)
http://www.goldmanco.ca/

http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/newsletters/2014/March_2014_Newsletter_January_Sales.pdf

1-5 Beechwood Ave (New Edinburgh Pub and Pharmacy) purchased for $6.6 million by the owner of the Pharmacy.

151 Chapel St sale to Trinity Rideau GP and FSC Rideau GP has gone through for $12.1 million.

News from earlier this year... not sure if the offer went through

Beth Shalom synagogue has conditionally sold its land at Rideau and Chapel streets to a subsidiary of Trinity Development Group (previously sale to Claridge fell through)
http://jewishottawa.com/page.aspx?id=262070

here are the previous plans Claridge had for the site..
http://www.cbre.ca/o/torontonorth/AssetLibrary/151Chapel_brochure.pdf

JM1
May 1, 2014, 1:17 AM
What does the pharmacy intend to do with the beechwood property?
Is this for future development or to hold off development?

https://www.collierscanada.com/~/media/Files/Research/2014/Ottawa%20Market%20Report%20-%20Q1%202014.ashx

Glebe Shoppers site sold to Goldmanco for $7.5 million (Shoppers owns the The Glebe Apothecary)
http://www.goldmanco.ca/

http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/newsletters/2014/March_2014_Newsletter_January_Sales.pdf

1-5 Beechwood Ave (New Edinburgh Pub and Pharmacy) purchased for $6.6 million by the owner of the Pharmacy.

151 Chapel St sale to Trinity Rideau GP and FSC Rideau GP has gone through for $12.1 million.

McC
May 1, 2014, 7:48 PM
Bunch of updates on the HCA DevWatch page; most notable new proposals are for a new 12-storey office building at HollandX, and a new 9-storey apartment building at Bayswater and Somerset (presently the 1-storey District Realty offices for the adjacent highrise apartment building).
http://hintonburg.com/devwatch.html

Proof Sheet
May 1, 2014, 7:58 PM
Bunch of updates on the HCA DevWatch page; most notable new proposals are for a new 12-storey office building at HollandX, and a new 9-storey apartment building at Bayswater and Somerset (presently the 1-storey District Realty offices for the adjacent highrise apartment building).

Thanks for the link.

I notice that the HCA put this in their description of an application at 84-96 Hinton. What is to be inferred from this and what is the reasoning behind this background information?

'A representative of Takyan Inc. has met with the HCA Zoning Committee with a preliminary proposal to demolish the existing 4 houses and construct a 4-storey apartment building. Takyan and Black Iris Developments, which has been in the news recently for controversial student housing proposals (e.g., in Old Ottawa South), share the same owner'

Urbanarchit
May 1, 2014, 9:58 PM

So I found out via Twitter more about some of these buildings. The designs are just preliminary.

The 12-storey office tower at Holland Cross is pretty much a brick building with punched windows, not unlike what's there now. But that it's a bit of a typical office building.

The 9-storey on Bayswater/ Somerset has to be rezoned to 9, but he said looks not unlike other condo buildings, closer to Tamarack Wellington than 1040 Somerset. I'm hoping that we'll see a bit more glass being used, though.

I'm happy with intensification of these places, and hope they will be positive additions to the area.

wingman
May 2, 2014, 1:36 AM
So I found out via Twitter more about some of these buildings. The designs are just preliminary.

The 12-storey office tower at Holland Cross is pretty much a brick building with punched windows, not unlike what's there now. But that it's a bit of a typical office building.

The 9-storey on Bayswater/ Somerset has to be rezoned to 9, but he said looks not unlike other condo buildings, closer to Tamarack Wellington than 1040 Somerset. I'm hoping that we'll see a bit more glass being used, though.

I'm happy with intensification of these places, and hope they will be positive additions to the area.

Would we assume these intensifications are in preparation for the light rail line? That was the thought I think when they announced it, that the areas around the stations would expand fairly significantly?

Urbanarchit
May 2, 2014, 1:48 AM
Would we assume these intensifications are in preparation for the light rail line? That was the thought I think when they announced it, that the areas around the stations would expand fairly significantly?

I wonder, I didn't think to ask this, but it's plausible. There's still a lot that can be intensified near Tunney's and Bayview, but I hope they go through. I really want to see the area Somerset Square and along Somerset get developed, as that area is quite barren and unpleasant. The District Reality building on the left is what's proposed to be demolished and replaced.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7220/13385961074_d5cf685482_b.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/sheldef/13385961074/in/set-72157642931345475)
Bayswater Apartments (https://www.flickr.com/photos/sheldef/13385961074/in/set-72157642931345475) by Shel DeF (http://www.flickr.com/sheldef) on Flickr

TOexpat
May 2, 2014, 4:28 AM
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-condo-for-sale/ottawa/condo-1-bedroom-for-sale-in-west-market-salt-pool-gym/588879853?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Who is this pathetic RE agent? Every day a new attempt to sell overpriced Murray st units.

theoldv
May 2, 2014, 6:06 AM
anyone know how big that pool is? looks like a good size for a condo

canabiz
May 4, 2014, 1:54 PM
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-condo-for-sale/ottawa/condo-1-bedroom-for-sale-in-west-market-salt-pool-gym/588879853?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Who is this pathetic RE agent? Every day a new attempt to sell overpriced Murray st units.

He/She has a ton of other listings on Kijiji

http://www.kijiji.ca/o-posters-other-ads/89667441

Look like he/she is all over the place. Tread with caution.

Boxster
May 5, 2014, 4:10 PM
The pool is at the Chateau Laurier!!!

"THE CHÂTEAU LAURIER IS AT 2-MINUTES WALK FROM THIS CONDO !Walking during 2 minutes to go there is your warning up !"

:drowning:

anyone know how big that pool is? looks like a good size for a condo

Boxster
May 7, 2014, 2:20 PM
You can get a membership there.

http://www.fairmont.com/laurier-ottawa/activities-services/spa/

Another picture of the pool

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chateau_Laurier_Ottawa_Canada_(1).jpg

The pool is at the Chateau Laurier!!!

"THE CHÂTEAU LAURIER IS AT 2-MINUTES WALK FROM THIS CONDO !Walking during 2 minutes to go there is your warning up !"

:drowning:

J.OT13
May 8, 2014, 11:56 PM
Don't remember if this was on CTV or CBC today. Can't find a link, but the NCC Capital Info Centre is moving out of the WEP and back in its Wellington building.

phil235
May 9, 2014, 12:38 AM
Don't remember if this was on CTV or CC today. Can't find a link, but the NCC Capital Info Centre is moving out of the WEP and back in its Wellington building.

What, they realized that the kiosk beside Sunglasses Hut wasn't the best location for a tourist centre?

kevinbottawa
May 9, 2014, 2:35 AM
Don't remember if this was on CTV or CC today. Can't find a link, but the NCC Capital Info Centre is moving out of the WEP and back in its Wellington building.

Perhaps Mark Kristmanson slapped some sense into them.

Urbanarchit
May 9, 2014, 2:48 AM
Perhaps Mark Kristmanson slapped some sense into them.

Just as long as he doesn't declare the parkways heritage properties.

phil235
May 9, 2014, 4:56 PM
As for the NCC moving back to Wellington; the 2011 move to WEP was only temporary during renovations of the other building.

Don't think so. The move was due to the implementation of a new strategy for dealing with the public (read budget cuts) according to the press at the time. This is a reversal of a terrible decision.

http://www.obj.ca/Local/Tourism/2011-03-18/article-2344902/NCC-to-create-downtown-Wi-Fi-zone,-vacate-Capital-Infocentre/1

teej1984
May 9, 2014, 7:39 PM
Has anyone heard of Gabba Hey? It seems to be a mysterious club that exists at City Centre Park but I can't find any info about it online!

J.OT13
May 9, 2014, 9:42 PM
Don't think so. The move was due to the implementation of a new strategy for dealing with the public (read budget cuts) according to the press at the time. This is a reversal of a terrible decision.

http://www.obj.ca/Local/Tourism/2011-03-18/article-2344902/NCC-to-create-downtown-Wi-Fi-zone,-vacate-Capital-Infocentre/1

Oops, sorry. Miss read the headlines on this article:

Ottawa's only tourist centre to close

Budget considerations partly responsible

CBC News Posted: Oct 31, 2011 8:02 AM ET| Last Updated: Oct 30, 2011 6:05 PM ET

Ottawa's only tourist information centre will be closing this week, with tablet-toting information officers and a more modest kiosk set to take its place.

Staff at the Capital InfoCentre across from Parliament Hill have helped more than 325,000 people a year find their way and book hotel rooms.

Andy Rajagopalan is one tourist who found the info centre useful.

"We saw the info centre and thought it would be a good place to find our bearings," said Rajagopalan, who was visiting with his wife from North Carolina.

"It was awesome, there's a very nice map. You have a button you can push, and it shows you where the building you want to go is."

But the National Capital Commission says finances and a need to modernize visitor services are forcing the closure of the information centre, effective Tuesday.

Renovations would cost $5 million

The building is in need of renovations that would have cost $5 million, according to the NCC.

Guy Laflamme, senior vice-president of NCC, said it was a tough decision to close, but now the agency will deploy information officers equipped with electronic tablets at notable landmarks.

"Rather than being behind a counter, waiting for visitors to come to us, we're going to where visitors are located," he said.

The NCC will also staff a much smaller kiosk in the far less prominent corridor of the World Exchange Plaza.

An unfortunate downsizing, according to Jantine Van Kregten of Ottawa Tourism.

But Van Kregten said a new special committee of major tourism players, including hotels and the airport, will monitor the impact of the changes.

"They're going to look at what's happening once the centre closes, and the new kiosk in the World Exchange Plaza opens, then go from there," she said.

The kiosk will open Tuesday, but the map that Rajagopalan and his wife liked won't be there.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-s-only-tourist-centre-to-close-1.981076

When I saw the "renovation part", I assumed it was a swing space situation.

waterloowarrior
May 9, 2014, 10:23 PM
hey guys... things were getting a bit off-topic so I moved about 50 housing market posts to a new Ottawa Housing Market sticky in the business/politics/economy forum
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=211267

also moved the rooftop photo discussion here, maybe Kevin can add his photos to the thread :)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=193074
-WW

Harley613
May 10, 2014, 1:38 AM
Is anyone else REALLY FUCKING BORED of seeing this project never getting finished????!

Oh yeah, it's 'Bell Terrace' now, you know, to class it up a bit.

http://i.imgur.com/tdcRONj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QinKwt6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/k9H9CKb.jpg

Harley613
May 10, 2014, 1:55 AM
Hull has really filled out with the two new office towers.
http://i.imgur.com/XZDLErW.jpg