PDA

View Full Version : General Update/Rumour thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jan 18, 2008, 10:14 PM
You know what the root cause of panhandlers in Ottawa is don't you. Its increased density from developers who want to change Centretown.

:lmao:

Deez
Jan 21, 2008, 9:18 PM
^^Haha...I'm sure she could convince her constituents that is the case...

FYI:

MA: Lansdowne Park Open House

Ottawa - The City of Ottawa will hold its first Open House to discuss the future of Lansdowne Park. This informal drop-in session will outline the competition process, discuss timelines, and outline how the public can provide input. This is your first opportunity to add your name to the contact list and pre-register for upcoming workshops.

Date: Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Time: 3:30 to 8 p.m.
6 p.m. - Mayor O’Brien and Councillors Peter Hume and Clive Doucet will speak

Aylmer
Jan 21, 2008, 10:28 PM
Amen!

Do you have to pay or anything (and will there be food)?

:)

Rathgrith
Jan 22, 2008, 2:39 AM
Do you have to pay?

Pay!

Why would anyone pay to attend government meeting? The city is cheap but not that cheap. Or at least I hope not!

I would attend though but i have class. :(

clynnog
Jan 22, 2008, 2:49 AM
Pay!

Why would anyone pay to attend government meeting? The city is cheap but not that cheap. Or at least I hope not!

:(

Hey get a load of this irony...when a property is going through the site plan approval process and you have to pay cash-in-lieu of parkland fees, the City has an appraisal done of the property...they handle the whole thing, tell the land owner what the appraised value is, take 5% (2% for commercial, industrial) for a parkland fund to be used somewhere in the City of Ottawa and then have the gall to charge the landowner $500 + GST for the appraisal that tells the City how much to charge the landowner.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jan 22, 2008, 4:05 AM
I'd go, but I have band practice... :( :P

Rathgrith
Jan 24, 2008, 3:32 AM
And not for something completely not different:

NCC joins city
plan to redevelop Lansdowne Park
Jake Rupert, Ottawa Citizen
Published: Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Mayor Larry O'Brien says having the National Capital Commission as a partner with the city for the redevelopment of Lansdowne Park opens up many more opportunities for the site.

On Tuesday, it was announced that the commission, which owns the land between the park and the Rideau Canal, is going to work with the city on the project and will take a seat on the steering committee.

The commission's new chief executive officer, Marie Lemay, said the move signals a new era of openness and collaboration for the organization.

Mr. O'Brien said that, at a meeting with Ms. Lemay earlier this week, he came to terms on the commission's involvement "very quickly."

He said with the commission as a partner, there are more options for the site, including reconfiguring Queen Elizabeth Driveway to create more green space next to the canal, turning some of the park over to the commission to create a buffer between the canal and the park, and even building an inlet off the canal into the park.

He said it also made sense to bring the commission in at the outset of the process to avoid conflicts in the future.

"Because it's right next to the canal, they have a stake in what happens to the park, and I'm very excited about bringing their expertise to the project," he said.

Mr. O'Brien made the comments last night at the first public open house on the city's plan for the park. The event was an information session and was lightly attended.

Late last year, the city approved a design competition to come up with a redevelopment plan for the under-used area, which is more than 50-per-cent parking lot.

Over the next few months, the design parameters will be set and developers will be asked to submit proposals. These will then be judged by a panel of experts, and a winner will be chosen.

After this, city council will vote on whether or not to proceed with the plan. The process is scheduled to be completed in a year.

The winner's reward will be to build their proposal under a long-term lease or purchase agreement with the city.

The city is proceeding this way because it doesn't have the money to pay for redevelopment itself. So, for the project to work, public land will have to be turned over for private development in order to make it worthwhile for developers.

Just how much land will be turned over will be something people in the area will monitor closely, said Neil Brommell, who lives across from the park and is chairman of the Glebe Community Association's Lansdowne Park committee.

He said, for now, he's happy because it looks like the city is interested in hearing what area residents want done with the park.

He said if the proposals are for a reasonable portion of public land to be sold for shops and residences similar to others in the area and the proceeds are used to "green" a large part of the area, he thinks people will accept it. But he said if the proposals are for several large apartment buildings and little green space, residents will not stand for it.

"It's a hot topic in our area and around the city, and there are no clear answers yet," Mr. Brommell said. "We'll have to see what unfolds."

Alex Saunders, president of the Ottawa Rough Riders Alumni Association, said it's a shame Frank Clair Stadium has fallen into such disrepair that the southside, lower-deck stands are condemned and must be knocked down.

He said he felt any development deal for the park should be contingent on the winners also fixing up the stadium and bringing a Canadian Football League team back to the city.

"I think with the value people get from having a team and proper stadium to hold games and other events in, it should be part of any deal," he said.

"There's a lot of opportunity here for a developer, so they should have to give something back."

The public will have a chance to submit their wishes for the park at two open houses - one next week and one in February - or they can make their submissions online at www.ottawa.ca.
© Ottawa Citizen 2008

Deez
Jan 24, 2008, 4:01 AM
All the information that was presented last night is available at: http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/public_consult/lansdowne/index_en.html including history of the park, what is being proposed, and a schedule of future work.

Additionally, you can begin to submit comments on the site immediately. I'll start a new thread and hopefully we'll get some ideas flowing. If we reach a general consensus we may want to submit something as a group!?

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jan 24, 2008, 2:17 PM
I hate to see it, but I see...................

More grass and trees!!!

harls
Jan 24, 2008, 4:54 PM
Last week on my way to the airport I noticed a crane at Carleton..anyone know what that's about??

Rathgrith
Jan 24, 2008, 5:10 PM
Last week on my way to the airport I noticed a crane at Carleton..anyone know what that's about??

They are building a new residence at Carleton, right next to the other residences and the engineering building I believe.

Ottawade
Jan 24, 2008, 6:33 PM
I bet its going to have more nasty purple brick!

Ted
Jan 28, 2008, 5:45 PM
Does anyone know why this development, which had been about 7-8 stories, and seemed at some point in the fall to be about 80% sold out, appears re-introduced at apprx 3 stories tall - and it is as though they are re-launching the project?

harls
Jan 28, 2008, 9:18 PM
^ Never heard of that development. Where in Westboro?

Here's a shot of downtown taken today, from Lisgar and O'Connor (click for larger size)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2093/2226786852_7a490d0ddd_b.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2093/2226786852_8b75441a93_o.jpg)

Deez
Jan 29, 2008, 12:58 AM
Man...I was walking back north to City Hall along O'Connor today at lunch and noticed that great vantage point for the three cranes. I was going to suggest that spot for a photo but I guess you beat me to it.

I can't believe we've never run into each other.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jan 29, 2008, 4:59 AM
I really like the density of the buildings in that photo. :)

harls
Jan 29, 2008, 2:55 PM
Deez, I was there around 1:30, I probably just missed you. :D

Deez
Jan 31, 2008, 3:55 PM
FYI...

Starting March 31st, the City will be launching a new online service that will present the status and details of development applications and allow for the public to submit comments almost as soon as the applications are submitted. This means that the public won't have to rely on being approached by the City (ie. the way they approach community associations and nearby residents) and/or wait for the project to go to committee to view and comment on applications.

For our purposes, it means we can see new projects well before the approval phase and essentially cut and paste the comments that we make on this board onto the comments section of the approvals site.

clynnog
Jan 31, 2008, 4:08 PM
FYI...

Starting March 31st, the City will be launching a new online service that will present the status and details of development applications and allow for the public to submit comments almost as soon as the applications are submitted. This means that the public won't have to rely on being approached by the City (ie. the way they approach community associations and nearby residents) and/or wait for the project to go to committee to view and comment on applications.

Great idea. Now hopefully the City will outline the details of the applications (i.e # of units, height, setbacks and what the current zoning and OP permit and what if any modifications to the current zoning (and proposed new ZBL) are being sought. Will PDF versions of architectural and background studies be posted or are they not permitted to be uploaded.

Now the next step would be for the City to permit paperless submissions (i.e PDF's of all of the required drawings etc and reports instead of printing endless copies of the plans and reports as is the case now)

harls
Feb 4, 2008, 7:55 PM
I remember seeing it mentioned here somewhere - the parking garage at the Rideau Centre is coming down.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2181/2242718176_2f9155ea34_b.jpg

I used to take pics from this exact spot. Not anymore.

AuxTown
Feb 4, 2008, 9:00 PM
I think the redevelopment and possibly a Rideau Centre expansion into the land adjacent to the mall (including the old department store) are crucial to the success or failure of the neighbourhood. There's going to be close to 1000 people moving into new condos on Rideau Street within the next 2 years, probably the largest population influx that area has ever seen. That gap storefronts and anything remotely appealing to pedestrians really disconnects the condos from the parliamentary district. Should be interesting to see if/when the mall gets their act together for a proposal.

Rathgrith
Feb 4, 2008, 11:45 PM
^^ You could still sort of do it. Try the Garden above the mall. I think its open.

Deez
Feb 5, 2008, 1:17 AM
I swear you're stalking me harls

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/IMG_0695.jpg

harls
Feb 5, 2008, 2:45 PM
I'm going to get you in a photo one day, I swear.

waterloowarrior
Feb 6, 2008, 3:26 AM
previously mentioned by Deez... Nate's Deli proposal - 6-14 stories.... Claridge
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2008/02-12/ACS2008-PTE-PLA-0033.htm

adam-machiavelli
Feb 6, 2008, 6:52 PM
From that report I found the curmudgeon of the year...

Complaint # 5: "I don’t want this building to become a student ghetto with continuous loud partying."

clynnog
Feb 6, 2008, 7:56 PM

Complaint # 5: "I don’t want this building to become a student ghetto with continuous loud partying."

Well that quote managed to incorporate 2 of the main complaints of all NIMBY's...i.e rental units and noise. The others are decreased property values, increased taxes, increased traffic, loss of privacy, increased shadowing

Ottawade
Feb 6, 2008, 9:19 PM
I actually LOL'd when I read that part

TransitZilla
Feb 7, 2008, 2:06 AM

If you read in the "Amenity Area" section of the amendment, in mentions that there will be no balconies- so all the noise should be confined to the inside anyway!

Deez
Feb 9, 2008, 1:20 AM
accidently deleted this stuff...

market3
Feb 12, 2008, 6:40 PM
anyone know whats proposed for 310 rideau (steves music) and directly east of richcraft galleria?

Cre47
Feb 12, 2008, 7:25 PM
http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2008/02-12/ACS2008-PTE-PLA-0031.htm

More low/mid rises proposed for Central Park Drive - correct me but I think that it is near the Baseline/Merivale area.

TransitZilla
Feb 12, 2008, 9:48 PM
anyone know whats proposed for 310 rideau (steves music) and directly east of richcraft galleria?

That's the same project as the the "Nate's deli proposal" mentioned above. ^^

market3
Feb 13, 2008, 1:46 AM
That's the same project as the the "Nate's deli proposal" mentioned above. ^^

ok but there is also a poposal directly beside the galleria. for a 16 story building

Deez
Feb 13, 2008, 10:56 PM
I walked by the Galleria today and saw the zoning amendment sign. 16 storeys, 113 unit condo building. Shows how hot the market is right now.

I would imagine it's another Richcraft job and I'm pretty sure this one is going to be eaten alive by Action Sandy Hill...and I don't really blame them. The site has quite a number of attractive buildings (and no surface parking) and 16 storeys is way out of wack with King Edward's midrise apartment flavour.

JUST BUY THE DAMN PARKING LOT ACROSS THE STREET!!

harls
Feb 14, 2008, 4:08 PM
I tried another shot of the three downtown cranes from Lyon/Lisgar area. Not too impressed with this one.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2383/2263643164_64e1c79757_b.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2383/2263643164_7161c67590_o.jpg)

AuxTown
Feb 14, 2008, 4:41 PM
That's a nice pic, the sky just wasn't cooperating. Next time we have a nice sunny day try to head out to that same spot and I bet it will look 10x better.

Deez
Feb 15, 2008, 1:52 AM
The sign from the proposal spotted by market3:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/IMG_0711.jpg

The continuing demo of the Rideau Centre parking garage:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Reersmeer/IMG_0712.jpg

Deez
Feb 15, 2008, 2:09 AM
I also found a little bit of background about the property requesting a permit to extend surface parking in the market.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2410/2250956039_5cc3503b3e_b.jpg

From a December 1999 City of Ottawa report:

The original approval of surface public parking on this property for a temporary period was
granted on December 21, 1988, conditional on Site Plan Control. Prior to this , the site had been
utilized for public parking illegally for two years following a fire which destroyed the heritage
residential building on the property. A second application was submitted June 26, 1991 and
approved March 18, 1992 for a three year extension to the temporary zoning status. The most
recent application for a three year extension was submitted December 6, 1994. On the
recommendation of staff a one year extension was granted by City Council to provide time for
the owner to prepare for another use of the property. This decision was appealed to the Ontario
Municipal Board (OMB) and the appeal upheld to allow temporary surface parking for three
years until June 20, 1998. The subject application was submitted August 5, 1998 for another
three year temporary zoning period.
The reversal of City Council’s decision at the OMB on this matter caused concern that the
Official Plan policy direction was not adequate to effectively discourage temporary surface
parking. Since this OMB decision staff have been conducting a study of temporary surface
parking in the Central Area and inner city neighbourhoods with the intent to clarify City
Council’s position on this issue. The results of this study will be presented to Planning and
Economic Development Committee within the first quarter of 1999. As this information has not
been presented or any findings endorsed by City Council, it was considered premature to apply
it to this case. For this reason staff have recommended that an extension of the temporary
zoning permission for surface parking be granted for three years, following which the
conclusions of the study can be utilized to evaluate the appropriateness of temporary surface
parking at this or any other site in the Central Area and inner city neighbourhoods.

Seems pretty clear that they don't want to develop the lot...

waterloowarrior
Feb 15, 2008, 2:43 AM
from the Action Sandy Hill site

Planning and Development:
1. 594 Rideau (at Charlotte) - Richcraft
- OMB meeting planned for March 3, 2008.
- Neighbours may now all be united in their opposition to Richcraft's variance request
- Richcraft may now stand alone in appealing the Community Design Plan
- ASH position: We support the Community Design Plan as well as projects that comply with it (Richcraft proposal does not).

2. Claridge development on Rideau (former Nate's)
- plan a 14 storey building, 270 rental units, 70 parking spaces, 37 metres high at western edge and 19 metres at eastern edge along Rideau and 19 meters on Besserer
- CDP allowed for 37 meter height for 50% of property from western edge along Rideau, zoning by-law allowed for 80%, Claridge is using about 65%
- Claridge is asking for rezoning for reduced parking allowances, and reduced 'amenity' space
- no FSI, just a 'footprint', meaning they probably plan to increase density
- by purchasing Nate's, Claridges has inherited appellant status re OMB hearing in March on CDP, if rezoning permitted Claridge will drop the appeal
- Robert attended the neighbourhood meeting with developer, also attended by our Councillor who supports the project.
ASH position: Robert is bringing the display boards for this project to help explain it to the ASH Jan. 28 meeting. Also Robert has plans to do the same for the board of the Landsbourgh Condo on Besserer.

3. Besserer Street (next to Richcraft development at #200)
- Robert has received a heads up from City planner that a request has come through to erect a 16 storey, 113 unit building. Street is zoned for 12 storeys
- Richcraft is the developer and they are seeking a rezoning to increase the height allowed, reduce or eliminate the green space and reduce loading requirements
- This Richcraft development will share underground parking with the 200 Besserer Richcraft project
ASH position: Need to get further info from the city planner handling this project

TransitZilla
Feb 15, 2008, 2:35 PM
from the Action Sandy Hill site

I've never understood the objection to the 594 Rideau site. The renderings are very nice: it's a really high quality design.

http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/occ/2007/05-09/pec/ACS2007-PTE-APR-0036.htm

I think their only objection to it is that it is something like 2 storeys higher than the Uptown Rideau CDP recommends, but those upper 2 floors are set back anyway.

The Rideau and Charlotte area is not very attractive right now- they should be thanking the developer for proposing something so nice that will improve the area.

TransitZilla
Feb 15, 2008, 3:23 PM
Whatever happened to 560 Rideau?

http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/occ/2003/09-03/ACS2003-DEV-APR-0149.htm

That looks like a nice building as well, and would replace some ugly empty lots and surface parking on Rideau.

ajldub
Feb 18, 2008, 12:00 AM
As much as I love Action Sandy Hill for saving the old beauties in their neighborhood, their NIMBYism around building heights on Rideau really surprises me sometimes. What Sandy Hill needs more than anything else is a vibrant retail strip...

waterloowarrior
Feb 19, 2008, 11:24 PM
recent omb decision

880 Greenbriar (Meadowlands/Prince of Wales area) was one example that I thought really showed how councillors can talk the talk about intensification but when it came down to it they'd bow to resident pressure, and that many are afraid of even slightly increased densities

from the Ottawa Sun (http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2008/02/19/pf-4857889.html)

ADDED INSULT
And of course, when council goes against staff in these planning matters, it means the city actually has to hire its own expert witnesses, with the applicant calling the city's own staff to defend the position which is contrary to council's.

You can practically hear the cash register ringing.

Such was the case in the most recent OMB decision affecting the city.

Referred to as the Greenbriar case, council went against the staff recommendation, leaving Rolf Baumann appealing at the OMB to rezone lands at 880 Greenbriar Ave.

Baumann, the applicant, called senior Ottawa city planner John Smit to testify under subpoena on his behalf.

Smit testified that the proposal was a good example of infill and intensification, which fit the city's Official Plan. It's important to note here, that's a plan approved by city council.

The city was forced to hire an outside land use planner, Marc Rivet, who provided planning evidence opposing the proposal.

As the odds suggest, the city lost and the development is now approved.

The fight cost the city $11,000.

"The board finds the proposal represents good planning and that the amendments to the secondary plan and the said Official Plans that have been reviewed in the appeal," states the OMB decision released last week.

But Doucet says caving in simply because of the fear of what will happen at the OMB -- despite the high costs and possibility of losing -- is nothing less than "blackmail."

Like Doucet, Bay Coun. Alex Cullen says it's time the OMB is abolished.

"Absolutely," he said, suggesting the board was created several decades ago when municipal politicians worked part-time and didn't have the necessary planning expertise.

But Alta Vista Coun. Peter Hume, chairman of the planning committee, says it's not so simple to suggest the OMB should be disbanded.

APPEALS THE NORM
He points out other provincial governments have appeal processes, so whether it's a court of law or an independent body like the OMB, councils don't have the ultimate say in planning matters.

In Saskatchewan, for example, it's called the Planning Appeals Committee; in Alberta, it's the Municipal Government Board.

Hume says councils like Ottawa's need to accept responsibility for their own decisions.

"The real problem is that we approve policies, like growth, like intensification, but when the rubber hits the road, we vote against our own council-approved planning principles.

"And then we feel good about rejecting them, when in fact, the right thing to do was to implement them. As a result, these people go the municipal board, and the OMB looks at evidence.

"The tests of evidence are still the same. They have to go back and look at council's policies. The decision may revolve around how you interpret the secondary plan to control growth. It all depends on our Official Plan which promotes growth in our villages. That's what we'll be fighting. It's not that growth can occur, but how much and how fast."

http://rgb-group.com/uploads/images/880GreenbriarRendering400px.jpg

http://rgb-group.com/uploads/images/880GreenbriarSiteplan.jpg

staff report, comments from councillors/public (http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/occ/2007/01-24/pec/ACS2007-PTE-APR-0010.htm)

Deez
Feb 20, 2008, 1:44 AM
^pathetic.

Whatever happened to 560 Rideau?

After the porno store a block down the street, the Bell switchboard building, and the Horizon Towers, I would say nothing is holding back Rideau more than this empty lot. It's really unnerving that residents would rather contend with a fenced off piece of pavement than a building that is a few stories taller than what the current CDP recommends.

citizen j
Feb 20, 2008, 2:32 AM
^I've said it for years. What Ottawa needs is a person with a clear vision of what the city could be as an urbane, transit-oriented place. And then that person needs to be made benign-dictator and given unlimited, absolute power. ... I'm kinda busy right now, so I nominate Deez.

TransitZilla
Feb 20, 2008, 6:38 PM
^pathetic.

After the porno store a block down the street, the Bell switchboard building, and the Horizon Towers, I would say nothing is holding back Rideau more than this empty lot. It's really unnerving that residents would rather contend with a fenced off piece of pavement than a building that is a few stories taller than what the current CDP recommends.

I found the OMB decision which dismissed ASH's appeal: http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/e%2Ddecisions/pl031085%5F%230999.pdf

That was almost 4 years ago... so it seems like Richcraft is just sitting on this one...

But it looks like Richcraft owns:
-Galleria (in progress)
-560 Rideau
-594 Rideau
-228-242 Besserer (are we sure this is Richcraft? Someone mentioned above that it is but I'm not sure if that's confirmed)
-a lot on the south side of Besserer directly across from 560 Rideau (mentioned in the OMB report link above).

They don't seem to be rushing anything to market- do you think it's because they just want to finish the Galleria first or are they setting up for the future?

I never really understood why builders would buy a site, hire an architect, design the building, get the project approved by council, win the OMB appeal, and then just sit on it. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

p_xavier
Feb 20, 2008, 6:42 PM
I never really understood why builders would buy a site, hire an architect, design the building, get the project approved by council, win the OMB appeal, and then just sit on it. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Well I think it's simple, overflooding of the market. There's no point of pushing new buildings if the space is not sold.

Deez
Feb 20, 2008, 6:55 PM
-228-242 Besserer (are we sure this is Richcraft? Someone mentioned above that it is but I'm not sure if that's confirmed)

After doing some snooping, I've confirmed that Richcraft owns those lots. The development would share Galleria's below-grade parking.

harls
Feb 20, 2008, 6:59 PM
Richcraft's involved with the lot near Bay/Gloucester as well (16 storey proposal).

TransitZilla
Feb 20, 2008, 9:05 PM
Well I think it's simple, overflooding of the market. There's no point of pushing new buildings if the space is not sold.

If that's the case, why are they stil submitting new development applications, when they already have 3 or 4 projects approved that are ready to go?

Why not wait until there's a need?

clynnog
Feb 20, 2008, 9:40 PM

Sometimes by the time the whole cycle has ended...ie. buy the land, hire consultants, go through the zoning and site plan process, have the application appealed to the OMB, go through an OMB hearing 2 -3 years or more may have passed. By that time, a builders priorities may have changed, the original competition for clients may have built already, the market may have changed, interest rates may have gone up etc....many things may have changed and many developers turn on a dime as they have very fluid plans/priorities (some people may construe this to mean that developers don't know what they want to do).

TransitZilla
Feb 21, 2008, 3:17 AM
Sometimes by the time the whole cycle has ended...ie. buy the land, hire consultants, go through the zoning and site plan process, have the application appealed to the OMB, go through an OMB hearing 2 -3 years or more may have passed. By that time, a builders priorities may have changed, the original competition for clients may have built already, the market may have changed, interest rates may have gone up etc....many things may have changed and many developers turn on a dime as they have very fluid plans/priorities (some people may construe this to mean that developers don't know what they want to do).

Fair enough... I guess I just want them to get going on 560 Rideau already... as Deez mentioned, the empty lot is one of the worst things on Rideau, and the proposed building looks very attractive.

TransitZilla
Feb 21, 2008, 3:30 AM
New planning committe agenda out: http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2008/02-26/agendaindex27.htm

Mostly suburban stuff- most interesting is for an 11-storey retirement residence near South Keys.

There is an update on the James St. Feed Company site redevelopment:
http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2008/02-26/ACS2008-PTE-PLA-0059.htm

Rendering:
http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2008/02-26/ACS2008-PTE-PLA-0059_files/image006.jpg

Councillor Holmes likes it, but she couldn't let it go through without some nitpicking: "The seventh floor appears to extend one storey above the current height limit of 18 metres. What relief would you be seeking to obtain this increase"

Gawd....

Jamaican-Phoenix
Feb 21, 2008, 3:46 AM
:previous: Nice find, dude! :tup:

Anyone have any word on what's going on with the new Galaxy Camera Flagship Store?

harls
Feb 21, 2008, 8:34 PM
This is over a month old, and may have been already posted here.. but oh well.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2008/01/16/ot-hull-080116.html

Gatineau mulls allowing taller towers in Old Hull

Last Updated: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 | 5:23 PM ET
CBC News

A plan to revitalize Gatineau's historical downtown Hull district with towering condominiums is getting mixed reviews from local residents and businesses.

A building height limit of 15 storeys will be lifted in Old Hull under a draft plan endorsed by Gatineau city council Tuesday.

The plan is intended to encourage the construction of new residential buildings and bring new residents into the area.

Charles Masse, spokesman for a local real estate development company, said the area has lots of prime land waiting to be developed, but new condominium towers must be lofty enough to prevent their views from being blocked by tall government buildings nearby.

"We need the view," said Masse, the planning director for the Heafey Group. "If we don't have the view, well — we will not be able to sell our products."

He blamed the current height limit for the lack of condominiums being built in the area.

Terri Poole, owner of the Euro Bistro café at Place du Portage agreed that the height restriction should be lifted to encourage more people to live in the area.

"There hasn't been a lot of money spent on condominiums and I think that it would be a positive change for all the restaurants involved here," she said Wednesday.

Her restaurant is full of government workers at lunchtime, but much quieter on most nights and weekends.

Some people who already live in the area said they are concerned about the impact highrises would have on the neighbourhood's historical character.

Claude Royer, spokesman for a Hull residents association, said he doesn't want building height limits raised.

"It's going to ruin the quality of life, won't be harmonious with the existing neighbourhood," he said.

Instead, he wants the limits lowered to eight storeys, something he described as a "human scale."

That height would be feasible for developers if they changed their focus, he said.

"They're aiming for [the] luxury condo market," he said. "And if they were to, say, aim for [a] different market, the eight floors would be probably acceptable."

Public consultations on the draft plan will be held this summer.

Ruin the quality of life? What's that...watching the hookers buying Cheetos at Giant Tiger? Sitting and sipping 'un gros Ex' on your front porch?

What's the difference if it's 8 or 16 storeys... the people that move into these places are still going to change the dynamic of vieux-Hull.

p_xavier
Feb 21, 2008, 8:48 PM
This is over a month old, and may have been already posted here.. but oh well.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2008/01/16/ot-hull-080116.html

Ruin the quality of life? What's that...watching the hookers buying Cheetos at Giant Tiger? Sitting and sipping 'un gros Ex' on your front porch?

What's the difference if it's 8 or 16 storeys... the people that move into these places are still going to change the dynamic of vieux-Hull.

Having lived there for a year. I can assure you that some people like to be poor, they take pride in being slugs to society. They don't want new people, because they are all so proud of their poverty and lack of culture, that they don't want any contrast in their lives. They are too lazy to actually get a genuine quality of life, so they don't want anyone or anything to actually show that they are lazy.

clynnog
Feb 21, 2008, 9:09 PM
Councillor Holmes likes it, but she couldn't let it go through without some nitpicking: "The seventh floor appears to extend one storey above the current height limit of 18 metres. What relief would you be seeking to obtain this increase"
Gawd....

You need to realize that with Councillor Holmes she needs to get the last word in on any application. IMHO she is one of the biggest suburban bashers on Council (along with Doucet) but when any application comes along that could provide some density in Centretown she gets very protective. From what I hear, she is the bane of existence for some City Planners.

harls
Feb 21, 2008, 9:16 PM
Anyone have any word on what's going on with the new Galaxy Camera Flagship Store?

Haven't heard anything. This sign's been gone for a while now.

(Photo is from March of last year)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/148/419134826_678208fc9a.jpg?v=0

Mille Sabords
Feb 21, 2008, 9:36 PM
You need to realize that with Councillor Holmes she needs to get the last word in on any application. IMHO she is one of the biggest suburban bashers on Council (along with Doucet) but when any application comes along that could provide some density in Centretown she gets very protective. From what I hear, she is the bane of existence for some City Planners.

Her rationale in such issues as voting IN FAVOUR of Minto's project in Manotick is nothing short of baffling: "Let them build out there as much as they want so we won't get another highrise in my neighbourhood." Methinks she might benefit from reacquainting herself with the city's official plan.

clynnog
Feb 21, 2008, 9:54 PM
Her rationale in such issues as voting IN FAVOUR of Minto's project in Manotick is nothing short of baffling: "Let them build out there as much as they want so we won't get another highrise in my neighbourhood." Methinks she might benefit from reacquainting herself with the city's official plan.

Why confuse her with facts...her mind is made up already.

I have had the (mis)fortune of dealing with her in meetings etc. on a project that is in her ward and never have I had to bite my tongue more than with her in the room. Staff who deal with her try and avoid her.

I didn't know she voted in favour of the Manotick project. Somehow, I don't think that a person is going to choose between a SFR or McMansion in the Tick or a high rise in Centretown...the two housing markets are mutually exclusive IMHO.

rodionx
Feb 22, 2008, 2:50 AM
[QUOTE=harls;3370154]Haven't heard anything. This sign's been gone for a while now.

That rendering is still at the bottom of the Galaxy Camera home page at http://www.galaxycamera.com/ It reads, "Here we grow again... Coming 2008." It used to read "Coming Fall 2007," so I presume it's just delayed, rather than cancelled.

harls
Feb 25, 2008, 8:57 PM
^ that's better than leaving up an outdated sign, I guess.. I've seen a few around Gatineau that still read "coming 2005" :D

I noticed this today- the Clarica Centre downtown has been renamed the Sun Life Financial Centre. Those goons in the toques were putting up some new lettering on the sign (for lease, etc.)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3055/2291533295_e5e1aa017b.jpg?v=0

waterloowarrior
Feb 26, 2008, 12:49 AM
Residents at odds with city over new townhouses
Patrick Dare The Ottawa Citizen
Monday, February 25, 2008

A plan to tear down a house in New Edinburgh and replace it with six townhouses has residents there at odds with city planning staff and an award-winning architect over whether the townhouses belong in the historic neighbourhood.

Larco Homes wants to build six townhouses at 132 Stanley Ave. where today one house sits, built in 1967. The existing bungalow has no significant heritage value but the location is in the heart of the village, which has been designated a heritage conservation district.

The New Edinburgh Community Alliance has written a detailed critique of the development proposal and the City of Ottawa's planning staff decision to support it.

"The proposed construction would dramatically change the appearance of the street," says the alliance. "The negative impact on the streetscape would be profound."

The development has generated some heated response from residents.

Tony Roth has written to the city, describing the townhouse development as "a gross abrogation of the character of this street... like the Titanic amongst a fleet of tugboats."

Joan Mason called the development a "greedy crowding of the space" creating "vertical apartments" that are best found elsewhere in the city.

Paul McConnell, co-chairman of the New Edinburgh heritage and development committee, said that just last week people were getting letters from the city about plaques to be erected celebrating New Edinburgh's heritage status. But the development at 132 Stanley makes them wonder "the point of having a heritage district," he said.

Mr. McConnell said residents support redevelopment projects that respect the look and scale of the neighbourhood, and several exist, but the proposed three-storey project would overwhelm it.

"It's over-intensification dropped inside a heritage district," said Mr. McConnell. "What we're seeing now is intensification anywhere, everywhere."

The original design of the project had seven townhouses and garages facing Queen Victoria Street. The city's planning staff said that was unacceptable and a new design was done that put a laneway behind the houses and reduced the number of townhouses by one.

It's still too much for Rideau-Rockcliffe Councillor Jacques Legendre, who said that he agrees with the demolition of the house but can't support the proposed project because it is not in keeping with the guidelines for the heritage district. Mr. Legendre said any replacement development should be of similar height and size to homes in the neighbourhood. He said the three-storey townhouses are "a full storey higher than anything else" in the area.

"It's just too high and too massive," said Mr. Legendre, who said he found it "strange" that the city's heritage planning staff supported the project.

But the development has the support of Ottawa architect Barry Padolsky, who has written a cultural impact statement that supports the city planning staff's position.

Mr. Padolsky, who wasn't paid for his opinion, said that the townhouse development does affect its immediate neighbours but that it fits into a neighbourhood that has a wide range of building forms.

"I don't see anything wrong with it," Mr. Padolsky said Monday, noting that the house to be torn down is a 1960s bungalow with no heritage value.

Mr. Padolsky says he offers opinions on such issues as an independent third party because the city faces a dilemma: The city needs to grow in established neighbourhoods without overbuilding.

The issue will discussed at the Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee meeting on Thursday beginning at 6 p.m. at Ottawa City Hall.

Then it will go to the city's planning and environment committee and full city council.

Uh oh, one storey higher than the other homes.... scary stuff (actually there are several 2.5 storey buildings in the area)

LACAC Report (http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/a-lacac/2008/02-28/ACS2008-PTE-PLA-0029.htm)

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/a-lacac/2008/02-28/ACS2008-PTE-PLA-0029_files/image004.jpg

what's being replaced....a shame to lose such a treasure
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/a-lacac/2008/02-28/ACS2008-PTE-PLA-0029_files/image006.jpg

Here is what is set to replace them...

http://wwuploads.googlepages.com/132stanleyb.jpg

waterloowarrior
Feb 26, 2008, 1:06 AM
Charlesfort Sunnyside... from Clive Doucet's site

The Charlesfort proposal for the Sunnyside Public Library site The Charlesfort proposal to redevelop the Sunnyside Branch of the Ottawa Public Library has generated considerable interest and concern. Many people have contacted me wanting to know where I stand. I stand behind the community and whatever consensus it reaches. The dialogue is ongoing and both the Charlesfort proposal and the community position may change as a result but I can provide the following preliminary view.

It is a beautiful site. It is underdeveloped. In terms of densification it should be redeveloped. The big question is how? The first priority should be retaining the library and for it to remain in public ownership. We don’t want to lose public assets. The second priority should be that the development contributes to the community in a positive way. Old Ottawa South has a Community Design Plan (CDP) for Bank Street, which was formulated as a result of two years of public consultation. According to that plan no building should exceed 6 storeys at the gateways to the community. Along the main portions of Bank Street the CDP height limit is four storeys. The development at the corner of Bank and Grove adhered to the CDP and I’ve been hearing a great deal of praise for that example of densification.

I haven’t heard from the community that there is an agreement to go beyond 6 storeys at the Library site and so my intention is to defend the CDP as the current expression of the community’s wishes.

My first priority in Old Ottawa South remains the redevelopment of the Firehall for which we are preparing final costing and Request for Proposal (RFP) documents.

Aylmer
Feb 26, 2008, 1:08 AM
Doesn't everyone love double posting!

Aylmer
Feb 26, 2008, 1:09 AM

THREE STOREYS!

That must be a burden to handel!
How will they live?
How will they survive?

Good God, Save these poor people!

m0nkyman
Feb 26, 2008, 1:13 AM
Here I was thinking that Victoria was freaky about height...:koko:

clynnog
Feb 26, 2008, 1:48 AM
THREE STOREYS!

That must be a burden to handel!
How will they live?
How will they survive?

Good God, Save these poor people!

One way to get back at these NIMBY's is to ask them what the home that they live in originally displaced....corn field, small bungalow etc. The drawbridge mentality is alive and well in Ottawa.

Aylmer
Feb 26, 2008, 2:37 AM
You know what? Aylmer, being the richest sector in Gatineau, doesn't have a NIMBY infestation!
We build 3-4 storey condos and nobody notices!
I just find that weird: Ottawa has the NIMBYsindrome and Gatineau is almost completely intact!

:):)
and one for Aylmer

AuxTown
Feb 26, 2008, 2:48 AM
The same carbon-copy 3 and 4 storey condos have been built in Kanata, Orleans, and Barhaven. People in the suburbs are very house-centric and don't really care what goes on outside their little single family home and its lawns. It's the people in older, established neighbourhoods who seem to get all caught up with the height of new developments. One of the big reasons is that these areas are much more dense and the shadow cast by the 3 storey building can (potentially) have a significant impact. In Aylmer et al these trendy new townhouse condos are built on empty lots and old farmland and don't really affect the amount of sunlight or the sightlines (or lack there of) of their neighbours. That being said, I definately do not think that people are justified to fight such a nice-looking and likely low-impact development.

Dado
Feb 26, 2008, 3:16 PM
The same carbon-copy 3 and 4 storey condos have been built in Kanata, Orleans, and Barhaven. People in the suburbs are very house-centric and don't really care what goes on outside their little single family home and its lawns. It's the people in older, established neighbourhoods who seem to get all caught up with the height of new developments. One of the big reasons is that these areas are much more dense and the shadow cast by the 3 storey building can (potentially) have a significant impact.

I think that's a key point. Do we know how deep/far back on the lot these townhouses will extend? It often seems that developers go out of their way to build as large a footprint structure as they can get away with, or indeed "overshoot" and "compromise" to something semi-reasonable. From walking around in Westboro, there's a big difference between a house than extends 60' on the lot and one that extends only 30-40'. A two-storey that extends 60' can look (and indeed, probably is) more massive than a three-storey that extends only 30-40'. There are a few three-storey houses around here (even beside one-storey bungalows) but you don't notice them because they aren't oversized, yet a lot of the more recent two-storey infills (especially the semis) stick out like sore thumbs because of their footprint (even from a vantage point directly in front of them on the street because their depth contributes to a much higher roof). And the three-storey large footprint infills are just plain awful.

The purpose of intensification and densification is supposed to be to cut down on sprawl and reduce our environmental footprint; it's not supposed to be an excuse to build 2500+ sqft McMansion wannabes on small urban lots. Unfortunately, a lot of infill projects seem to meet the letter of the intensification policies without meeting the spirit of them.

The facades of this proposed townhouse block are fine, but without seeing massing diagrams or a site plan it's hard to say whether this is a good infill or not.

harls
Feb 26, 2008, 3:35 PM
You know what? Aylmer, being the richest sector in Gatineau, doesn't have a NIMBY infestation!
We build 3-4 storey condos and nobody notices!

Believe me, there are some hardcore NIMBYs in Aylmer. Just read the Bulletin d'Aylmer's "Letters to the Editor" section... there was a good one in there last week about developers 'raping the landscape'.

Aylmer
Feb 26, 2008, 4:55 PM
I saw that one.
But they never do anything, they just complain.

market3
Feb 26, 2008, 8:36 PM
anyone have info on this
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=citycentrephasev-ottawa-canada

Neighborhood Dalhousie?

Mille Sabords
Feb 26, 2008, 10:15 PM
anyone have info on this
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=citycentrephasev-ottawa-canada

Neighborhood Dalhousie?

It's for the City Centre property, currently a 1950's industrial building between Somerset and Wellington, west of Preston, just next to the O-Train tracks. Where the Orange Monkey is located.

There have been plans to redevelop this site for eons but nothing's happened yet. The latest delay is to figure out what will happen with transit.

Personally, I don't mind a bit of industrial grit in the downtown core and I've been to the Orange Monkey dozens of times, it's a fine establishment. :D

Mille Sabords
Feb 26, 2008, 10:17 PM
Uh oh, one storey higher than the other homes.... scary stuff (actually there are several 2.5 storey buildings in the area)

Here is what is set to replace them...

The saddest thing is that Larco finally got it absolutely 100% right, down to the front facades devoid of garages (which are off a back alley). Most of those neighbours should be on their knees kissing the ground Larco walks on, to deign grace their street with such a beautiful project. Their objections are petty and infantile, totally unbecoming of what ought to be a mature urban neighbourhood.

Kinda makes you wish Larco sells the site to Claridge to teach them a lesson...

Aylmer
Feb 26, 2008, 10:52 PM
Here Here!

clynnog
Feb 26, 2008, 11:34 PM
The saddest thing is that Larco finally got it absolutely 100% right, down to the front facades devoid of garages (which are off a back alley). Most of those neighbours should be on their knees kissing the ground Larco walks on, to deign grace their street with such a beautiful project. Their objections are petty and infantile, totally unbecoming of what ought to be a mature urban neighbourhood.

Kinda makes you wish Larco sells the site to Claridge to teach them a lesson...

I happened to be on Stanley this afternoon and the street is a real hodge podge of sizes, densities, heights, vintage of homes and I can't see how this project will dwarf the whole neighbourhood etc.

Hopefully, this will sail through the heritage committee and then on to PEC/Council.

clynnog
Feb 27, 2008, 1:33 PM
Their objections are petty and infantile, totally unbecoming of what ought to be a mature urban neighbourhood.

Today's Ottawa Citizen has an op-ed about NIMBYism and refers to the Stanley Street property. They are on the same side as you Mille.

Mille Sabords
Feb 27, 2008, 2:12 PM
Hopefully, this will sail through the heritage committee and then on to PEC/Council.

I really hope so too. I did see that editorial this morning, it's good stuff. The Citizen has really come around in terms of their editorial position regarding urban growth. They are definitely a positive voice at times like this.

clynnog
Feb 28, 2008, 10:36 PM
Can anybody figure out what Council did and didn't approve for the Ashbury College site. I'm sure that there were a number of puzzled people in the Council Chambers.

This Council couldn't approve a decent project if their life depended on it.

m0nkyman
Feb 28, 2008, 11:16 PM
They made no binding decisions, and punted it to next month.... although technically the College could do the demolitions tomorrow if they wanted to but have said they won't... at least that's what I got out of the article in the Shitizen...

Deez
Mar 15, 2008, 6:35 PM
Rideau Centre news...

Rideau at the crossroads

When it opened, 25 years ago tomorrow, the Rideau Centre was big, a downtown metroplex designed to try to lure shoppers back from the suburban malls. The mission was largely successful, despite the occasional complaint, but the downtown landmark can expect expansion and a redesign over the next few years. Bruce Ward reports.

Bruce Ward, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Saturday, March 15, 2008

It wasn't called retail therapy back then, but finding the new Rideau Centre was exactly what Cindy VanBuskirk needed to lift her spirits.

It was late summer 1983, and Ms. VanBuskirk, now the centre's general manager, was about to start classes at Carleton University. But she was terribly homesick, missing her family who had just moved from Trenton to Nova Scotia.

"I was a momma's girl. That first day in Ottawa I was in tears in a basement room in a house I didn't know," she said.

Luckily, the family she was boarding with had a daughter in Grade 13.

"She came home and looked at me and said, 'Come on, we're going to the Rideau Centre. I said, 'What's that?' "

Soon the pair of them were sitting on the patio at the Elephant & Castle pub, sipping Cokes in the afternoon sunshine.

"It was a match made in heaven. I think I spent most of my student loan at the shopping centre," laughed Ms. VanBuskirk. "Now I've been here 16 years."

Hard to believe, but the Rideau Centre is 25 years old tomorrow. On opening day -- Wednesday March 16, 1983 -- an estimated 150,000 shoppers spent about $2 million in its stores and restaurants.

"I think there are a lot of people around town who remember the Rideau Centre opening, or remember something about the first year or stores that have come and gone," said Ms. VanBuskirk.

One of them is Barry Wellar, a retired University of Ottawa professor who took extensive photographs of the centre as it rose out of the ground.

Building the centre was "a big intervention," he said. "A lot of stuff had to come down, a lot of stuff had to go up. It was a big deal and there were a lot of worries about it."

Mr. Wellar saw the need for a downtown shopping centre, but has mixed feelings about how the Rideau Centre turned out.

"Suburban malls were draining money from the downtown core. There was a genuine concern that downtown was in urgent need of architectural and retailing rehabilitation."

Yet he was far from happy with the final result.

"The packaging of the Rideau Centre on the east side is not attractive. That was very poorly done. In effect, you're showing your rear end to Sandy Hill. It is offensive to put up a large structure that shows its rear end to a neighbourhood. This was totally unacceptable from my point of view."

At the time, Mr. Wellar said, Ottawa had a small-town mentality that hampered its urban planning.

"This is not a forward looking city. Many would argue that some of the worse designers and developers in Canada are in Ottawa. They don't see beyond the end of next week. What they should have done is pushed for substantial rehabilitation of Rideau Street, and tied the shopping centre in more directly with the National Arts Centre.

"The tie-in to the Mackenzie King Bridge is very poor -- this is one ugly stretch of roadway. So that part of the shopping centre is relatively ugly.

"These are the kind of things they really didn't do a very good job of thinking about. It was a small-town approach to a growing big town urban renewal project."

But there are positives, too, he added.

"Over the course of 25 years, the Rideau Centre has become established as quite a solid downtown shopping with heavy transit use. A lot of people get on and off the bus at the Rideau Centre."

Looking back, it seems miraculous that the Rideau Centre ever got built. The shopping centre cost $105 million and was the crowning glory of a $250-million project, which included construction of the Westin Hotel and the Congress Centre.

There was wrangling over everything from the traffic plan to the creation of an enclosed bus mall on Rideau Street.

A proposal to add "Eaton" to the official name caused a political fuss until the developer finally accepted defeat. And there was months of political negotiating and debate over the Congress Centre itself, and whether taxpayers should put up $36 million to pay for it.

Typically, it takes about three years for a project like the Rideau Centre to progress from preliminary designs and models to construction blueprints. But an entire decade passed before approval was reached on a final plan. The centre's designers -- the Toronto firm of Crang and Boake -- had to deal with bureaucrats from three levels of government and a busload of politicians.

The architects attended 760 meetings on the centre's design. There were 27 different schemes for traffic variations alone. Then there were many helpful ideas that had to be considered, like the National Capital Commission's proposal for a complete underground bus terminal and a subway system under the Rideau Canal.

"The cost for this was astronomical and therefore impossible," architect George Boake told the Citizen at the time. Eventually, the NCC was persuaded that Ottawa was not ready for underground rapid transit.

Once all parties reached agreement, the two-year construction process went smoothly, said James Crang. "Nothing was built incorrectly and nothing had to be taken down," he said in an interview a few days before the centre's grand opening.

The mall was meant to impart a neighbourhood feel, with each of the three levels designed as a separate street, he explained in an 1983 interview.

"The scale is that of a small neighbourhood community. On every level there are openings in the floor where you can see the sky. And there's lots of trees to give 'people' spaces the charm of small parks."

The Rideau Centre, which is owned by Viking Rideau Corporation, was a hit from the moment it opened its doors on March 16, 1983.

"About 150,000 people flocked to the downtown the downtown shopping centre Wednesday, lining up to ride escalators, buy a coffee or make a purchase in the biggest shopping spree downtown retailers have ever seen," the Citizen reported.

"Crowds were so thick Rideau Centre officials estimated 50,000 people were in the centre at peak hours. Many came to look rather than buy, but they left behind an estimated $2 million in the department stores and shops in the centre."

When the mall opened, it had about 220 stores, said Ms. VanBuskirk.

"Now we operate with about 170 stores. There were lots of little stores then, and chains had lots of banners. Today there are fewer retailers in Canada generally and stores are much larger."

Besides consolidation, another significant trend has been the influx of U.S. retailers opening at the Rideau Centre.

"That's probably going back about 15 years now. There has been a subsequent wave of retailers from Europe and other parts of the globe. Retail has become a global business and that would be reflected in the merchandise mix in the centre today as against what you would have see in the centre 25 years ago."

The centre has positioned itself as the city's "destination for fashion and beauty" shopping, she said.

"We learned a long time ago not to try to be everything to everyone and focus on what you can do really well and what you can deliver on."

So how's business?

The centre continues to draw shoppers that spend, she said. "In the shopping centre industry, the real benchmark is productivity -- sales per square foot. We're at $801 per square foot, which is substantially ahead of the competition in this market. We're among the top performing shopping centres in the country."

About 22 million people pass through the Rideau Centre annually. Under its development agreement with the city of Ottawa, the centre is required to be open to the public 20 hours a day to permit access for transit on Rideau Street and the Mackenzie King bridge. In 2001, the centre spent $10 million to spiff up its interior.

Ms. VanBuskirk expects the centre will expand within the next five years, although there are no firm plans in place. The development site is east of the existing centre, where the vacant Ogilvie department store building stands, and the centre's surface parking is located. First, however, the old Congress Centre will be torn down and replaced as planned.

"When the Congress Centre project is underway, it would not be possible for us to be underway at the other end of the site. Realistically, I think we're three to five years away from starting something on that site.

Councillor Georges Bédard, who represents the Rideau-Vanier ward, is hoping new construction at the centre will enhance -- and not shun -- Rideau Street.

"When it was built 25 years ago, it was build with the intention of looking inwards because there was a bus mall attached to it. And (the mall) was discovered to be a horrendous mistake. It was finally torn down about 10 years ago," he said.

"The future is obviously for the new construction to look out onto Rideau and Nicholas but also to somehow reorient the existing mall structure so that there will be more of an interplay with Rideau Street," he said.

Ms. VanBuskirk agrees that the centre's façade could use a makeover.

"The façade is be no means an embarrassment. Does it need some freshening up? Could it have a stronger aesthetic appeal? Yeah, it could, if I'm being honest. But we keep it clean and it's well maintained We have lots of entrances and exits so it's not like your looking at a blank concrete wall with no widows and no animation.

"But I certainly don't think our Rideau Street façade necessarily reflects the quality retail experience you have on the inside of the shopping centre

"At a point in time, we'll make sure our outward face better reflects our inward appearance."

© The Ottawa Citizen 2008

Deez
Mar 18, 2008, 5:28 PM
I happened to be on Stanley this afternoon and the street is a real hodge podge of sizes, densities, heights, vintage of homes and I can't see how this project will dwarf the whole neighbourhood etc.

According to the agenda of the PEC minutes, LACAC recommended that PEC and council reject the demo and construction plans.

waterloowarrior
Mar 19, 2008, 2:06 AM
proposal for Carling @ the 417 - 6 storey mixed use (office, retail, self-storage) (http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2008/03-25/ACS2008-PTE-PLA-0066.htm)

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2008/03-25/ACS2008-PTE-PLA-0066_files/image002.jpg

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2008/03-25/ACS2008-PTE-PLA-0066_files/image006.jpg

their request for site-specific zoning includes a 0 m setback and increase in height :tup:

AuxTown
Mar 19, 2008, 2:43 AM
Nice, I really like that building. It's amazing how setbacks can really give the appearance of a lot more depth to what is basically a pre-fab box. At least it's something different. There's not much that would make that area any less appealing than it already is anyway.

c_speed3108
Mar 19, 2008, 3:24 AM
Nice, I really like that building. It's amazing how setbacks can really give the appearance of a lot more depth to what is basically a pre-fab box. At least it's something different. There's not much that would make that area any less appealing than it already is anyway.

I really think that after this years experience with snow removal costs, there should be mandatory set-backs in all areas (except for maybe the core) to allow for on site snow storage. :cool:

citizen j
Mar 19, 2008, 3:39 AM
Maybe I'm just jaded and bitter, but $100 says someone complains that it's too tall.

waterloowarrior
Mar 19, 2008, 3:41 AM
Maybe I'm just jaded and bitter, but $100 says someone complains that it's too tall.

It will wreck their view of the Queensway ;)

Jamaican-Phoenix
Mar 19, 2008, 6:16 AM
:previous: Or: "It will add more cars onto Carling! Rabble, rabble, rabble, rabble, rabble!!!" *frothing mouth*

Kitchissippi
Mar 19, 2008, 5:00 PM
This is just a couple of blocks from the new Canadian Tire and the setback would be similar. I was hoping some sort of retail would go there instead of a storage facility. I've always thought that the area around the Carling interchange would make a great place for 24 hour retail, since getting in and our of the Queensway is fairly easy and it's mostly surrounded by industrial area. The 24 hour Shoppers Drug is doing well at Westgate (they've already expanded) and pumped a bit of life to that mall.

harls
Mar 19, 2008, 5:13 PM
Is that Cdn tire open yet?

Kitchissippi
Mar 19, 2008, 5:26 PM
:previous: yes, I posted pics in the Retail Thread

eemy
Mar 19, 2008, 5:39 PM
From the Citizen today:

Group wants 'Gay Village' along small section of Bank Street (http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=ca6b55d6-4e81-4b1c-8ceb-e2fc95bae23d&k=45437)
Dale Smith, Ottawa Citizen
Published: Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Activists looking to have a section of Bank Street designated an official Village staged an "educational theatrical demonstration" Tuesday, draping fabric matching the six colours of the GLBT (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered) community's rainbow flag along the street.

The proposal has been met with indifference from both the city and the local business community. A recent open house on the renewal of Bank Street did not even address the question of designating the stretch between Nepean and James streets as a Village.

"If the city won't put up rainbow flags on Bank Street, we will," says Jeremy Dias, founder of Jer's Vision, the group that organized the demonstration.

"Instead of being embraced by public administration and celebrated for our ideas, our enthusiasm for making the city a better place, I believe that we're really being stifled," Mr. Dias said Tuesday.

"We have an opportunity to give Bank Street an identity, finally. The city is rejecting our proposal and again choosing mediocrity."

Until the open house, the city seemed open to the idea of creating a Village district, inviting members of the GLBT community to participate in the public advisory committee on the redevelopment plans.

"The response that I had been receiving was overwhelmingly positive until recently," says Glenn Crawford, who had volunteered to bring forward the GLBT community's interests to the public advisory committee.

The largest concern the proposal has raised is that these kinds of districts cannot be designated from the top down.

"I think it's a worthy idea, but I thing these things require a critical mass," said David Rimmer, owner of the gay bookstore After Stonewall in the proposed Village district.

While Mr. Rimmer sees the idea of designating the area as gay or gay-friendly as admirable, he adds that "when you stop to think of it, a bookstore, a pride shop, a bathhouse and a restaurant do not a Village make."

Mr. Crawford disagrees.

"There is a Village here," Mr. Crawford contends.

"There is a strong critical mass that has developed over a long period of time. However, it isn't very visible, and that's essentially what we're trying to do, is create that visibility so that people are aware that this truly exists, to help support the businesses and organizations that are already here, and to encourage new growth."

Somerset Ward Councillor Diane Holmes contends it's still early days, and that there is plenty of time for the Village designation to happen. She also has expressed interest in having the city pay for street signs as it does along Corsa Italia - Preston Street - and the Chinese-letter signs in Chinatown, although costlier banners would be another matter.

"We'll see what the BIA (Business Improvement Area) has to say about it," Ms. Holmes said.

"First of all, we need a proposal, we need to see what people are interested, and hopefully sit down with some of the GBLT businesses that are in the BIA, and see what everybody would agree to."

But if a more visible critical mass is really what's needed, Mr. Rimmer said he sees only one way to make that happen.

"Close down Toronto and Montreal."

Personally I think the era of the gay village has already passed.

clynnog
Mar 19, 2008, 5:47 PM
proposal for Carling @ the 417 - 6 storey mixed use (office, retail, self-storage) (http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2008/03-25/ACS2008-PTE-PLA-0066.htm)

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2008/03-25/ACS2008-PTE-PLA-0066_files/image002.jpg

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2008/03-25/ACS2008-PTE-PLA-0066_files/image006.jpg

their request for site-specific zoning includes a 0 m setback and increase in height :tup:

The company that is wanting to build this self storage already have one open on Coventry and near Prince of Wales/Hunt Club and near South Keys. They are going after the higher end self storage demographic. I thought that they were ready to build since they knocked down the Dodge dealership.

Aylmer
Mar 19, 2008, 5:50 PM

Yeah, gay's are now integrating into society (or vice-versa)...

Can you imagine the Nimby truckloads that would bring in?

p_xavier
Mar 19, 2008, 6:07 PM
From the Citizen today:

Well it's still enjoyable in MTL and TO, as it actually feels safe. I guess that's the kind of experience they want to recreate. While I don't agree with the ghettos, at least they are good showpieces of the culture.

I would agree that if the city pays for the Italian and Chinese neigbhorhoods, they should pay for a gay strip on Bank.

Tor2Ott
Mar 19, 2008, 6:13 PM
Build some frigging 300m towers then...

=================
The fight for that prestigious address
By Roman Zakaluzny, Ottawa Business Journal Staff
Wed, Mar 19, 2008 12:00 PM EST

Despite new office towers, fed demand keeps downtown market hopping

As the federal government continues to gobble up office digs downtown, private-sector companies are moving quickly to secure space for themselves in a market dominated by the public service.

Vacant commercial real estate in the downtown – in particular large amounts of contiguous space – are getting snapped up as quickly as they are becoming free, say the experts.

It's a trend that hasn't abated despite Constitution Square's 350,000-square-foot third phase coming on stream last May, and Minto's new LEED Gold building at 180 Kent St. that's expected to be completed in mid-2009.

"I guess there's not a whole lot of space left in the new Constitution Square III tower, last time I checked," said Michael Church, principal and vice-president of Avison Young commercial brokers' Ottawa office. "They've got a number of encumbered floors there. If someone was looking for 30,000 square feet of space, they'd be hard pressed to get it. You can get some . . . but you'd have to stagger it over time. Contiguous space is hard to find."

Mr. Church laid the blame for that on the federal government, which he said has been snapping up all the "big blocks" of space as quickly as they become available.

"The market is still healthy in Ottawa," agreed Denis Shank, an associate vice-president at GVA Devencore's Ottawa brokerage office.

"The feds have 50 per cent of the space out there. What they decide – the ripple effects – definitely impact the market," he said.

Private sector firms with large space requirements, like Ottawa's larger law firms, need to play musical chairs – and they need to play the game quickly – in order to meet their space requirements.

This September, Nelligan O'Brien Payne LLP is planning on moving its 125 Ottawa staff from its current class-B digs at 66 Slater St. three blocks away to the 15th floor of the Sun Life Financial Centre at 50 O'Connor St. (formerly the Clarica building).

The move will help consolidate the law firm to one floor instead of three, said office manager and HR director Caroline Choquette, and will allow it to upgrade from a class-B space to a leaner and meaner class-A office space befitting a large firm. It will also be a more environmentally friendly office, she said.

"It will afford us to all be on one floor. The floor plate is much larger," said Ms. Choquette. "We're coming to the end of our lease. We've been here for 20 years, and we're basically looking for fresh, new space, and a building that can provide more services" for its staff, including restaurants, banks and even dry cleaners, something Ms. Choquette said was in short supply on the east end of Slater.

"We like the (current) location – it's close to the courthouse and the Rideau Centre," she acknowledged. "But we're only moving three blocks away."

Of course, with Nelligan's space requirements reaching some 30,000 square feet, it's a move that needed smooth deal making and some lucky timing to proceed, said Mr. Church.

For Nelligan to move to the Sun Life building, someone else had to vacate.

"What happened was Osler (Hoskin & Harcourt LLP) moved out of 50 O'Connor and into the top two floors of Constitution Square phase III," explained Mr. Church. "(Osler) had been there probably since it was built 20 years ago." Musical chairs ensued. With Osler moving out, Nelligan moved in, and everyone ended up more or less where they wanted.

"The feds were a concern," said Ms. Choquette. "But when we actually started looking, we had specific buildings in mind, so we knew what we wanted and where we wanted to go. We had about three or four options open to us, so we didn't feel like we were squeezed into having to take specific space. We were able to cherry pick space that we wanted, and we got into a building that was probably our number one choice."

Ms. Choquette said she could not give details on how much Nelligan is paying for the lease at 50 O'Connor, although space there is being advertised at $28 a square foot. The lease was a "standard" 10-year deal with options to downsize after five years and the first right of refusal on contiguous space if they felt like expanding, she said.

"Of course there's so much pressure from the feds," said Mr. Church. "They get the big blocks. When big blocks (become available), they get snapped up. So it's getting a little tighter."

In fact, Mr. Church said, rumours about town are pointing towards a federal government tender call for 30,000 square feet, due out this week. He sees them snapping up the newly vacated Nelligan office at 66 Slater, even though it is a class-B space.

"As long as (the building) meets accessibility standards, the government is very rate-driven, as we know," Mr. Church said. "And it makes it a lot easier to get it by Treasury Board."

harls
Mar 19, 2008, 6:45 PM
I just posted an article in the Gatineau Section re: new federal office space. They're still looking to tender those 2 buildings in Hull... one 40,000 sq m, the other 35,000... the latter is supposed to be completed in 2010/11.

That might lower the vacancy rate in Ottawa, who knows...