PDA

View Full Version : MP pushing electric freight-only rail line

VALTAC
Jul 11, 2007, 6:44 AM
See the article below from the Province today. To see MP John Cummins document visit our website www.valtac.org Our website has been updated over the last few days with tons of info on the Roberts Bank Rail Corridor announcement of last week...www.valtac.org

THE FRASER VALLEY
MP pushing electric freight-only rail line
Brian Lewis
John Cummins is confident he’s found a way to keep Deltaport’s planned expansion on track to accommodate increased Asia-Pacific trade — but with far less negative impact on local communities than some of the current Gateway initiatives.

And a key element in the maverick Delta-Richmond East MP’s solution is simply to get down on your knees and play with the concept of electric trains.

Rather than move growing numbers of shipping containers through an expanding Deltaport on trucks and conventional trains that dissect densely populated parts of Delta, Surrey and the two Langleys, Cummins proposes a dedicated electrified freight-only rail line from Deltaport to Abbotsford that could be confined primarily to industrial areas. His proposal is outlined in a special four-page report titled Better Way For Gateway Project, which the Tory MP is distributing widely throughout the region.

Where the current rail route runs from Deltaport through East Ladner, South Surrey, Cloverdale and Langley City and Township, Cummins’ electrified rail route from the port connects with the Burlington Northern/Santa Fe line that parallels Highway 91 to the Alex Fraser Bridge. From there it would tunnel underneath North Delta near Nordel Way, then run past Fraser Surrey Docks to connect with the CN mainline near the Port Mann Bridge.

Not only does this route remove freight and coal-train traffic from the region’s community cores, but the Cummins proposal also advocates intermodal loading and offloading facilities along the route, thus lessening the need for significantly increased container-truck traffic and container storage facilities near core residential areas.

Furthermore, removing freight rail traffic from the existing tracks would allow them to be used exclusively for light-rail interurban transit up the Fraser Valley.

“Electrified rail is quieter and it doesn’t pollute,” he says, “and this route would also remove any immediate need for the $1-billion South Fraser Perimeter Road.”

His plan is based on a $6-billion project now under way in the Netherlands, where a 160-kilometre double-track, electrified freightonly rail line is being built to connect the Dutch superport of Rotterdam to Germany.

“The idea in Holland is to minimize the impact on people and I think that here the Asia Pacific Gateway Corridor project needs to make the same commitment to putting the interests of people first,” Cummins explains.

Among the current Gateway initiatives the proposed South Fraser Perimeter Road will pave over significant amounts of Delta farmland, encroach on environmentally sensitive Burns Bog and is already forcing hundreds of residents and businesses off their properties while the port expansion will also lead to establishing a major rail yard near Ladner and dramatically increase truck and rail traffic through regional residential and town centres.

However, Cummins admits that his plan is only a concept at this point so costing has yet to be done, but some of the region’s mayors who have been briefed by the MP say it’s worth more study.

“On a map the idea looks good but you really need to drill much deeper to see if it’s practical, feasible and affordable,” says Langley City Mayor Peter Fassbender. OK, then let’s drill.

blewis@png.canwest.com

twoNeurons
Jul 11, 2007, 3:43 PM
VALTAC. Can you get your webmaster to remove the train whistle on your site. It's extremely annoying and loud, especially when at work. It keeps me away from the site too.

deasine
Jul 12, 2007, 2:13 AM
i like the idea but it would be hard to convince other politicians to agree...

CrooklynDodger
Jul 19, 2007, 5:53 AM
Who cares? No one takes passanger rail regionally anyways, big Via rail doing 60 km/h. Joke.

EastVanMark
Jul 19, 2007, 10:11 PM
So Cummins comes up with this "solution" to an alternative for port expansion, and some gateway initiatives, yet he himself admits he has no idea how much it would all cost....can add him to the many people offering untested, unproven theories as alternatives for things like port expansion and Gateway.

cc85
Jul 20, 2007, 12:40 AM
who the hell cares if he never came up with a cost estimate. CMON, i really would hate to have politicians perform some CBA and then not voice their suggestions with a less than favourable result. I am extremely impressed with Cummins (as my MP) that he has turned his attention to this issue.

Really, what are the alternatives proposed to gateway? Dont they all revolve around rail??? hmm, maybe we are missing something...

EastVanMark
Jul 21, 2007, 2:36 AM
I care. If someone has a REAL alternative, they should be based in fact (dollars and cents) rather than the endless supply of rhetoric which flows in abundance in the region. Otherwise I too will add to the pile of unproven ideas by suggesting the use of hovercraft to move both people and goods. Or maybe the use of some kind of Star Trek transporter...Until someone comes up with some figures, those ideas are just as valid as Cummins'.

VALTAC
Aug 10, 2007, 6:05 AM
John Cummins MP of Delta will be speaking in Langley at Douglas Park at VALTAC's Country Picnic in the park, August 11, 2007.

See more at our website www.valtac.org

Or join our FACEBOOK if you care about the ever increasing number of containers passing through your community...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4047993377&ref=share

Canadian Mind
Sep 11, 2007, 6:04 AM
I care. If someone has a REAL alternative, they should be based in fact (dollars and cents) rather than the endless supply of rhetoric which flows in abundance in the region. Otherwise I too will add to the pile of unproven ideas by suggesting the use of hovercraft to move both people and goods. Or maybe the use of some kind of Star Trek transporter...Until someone comes up with some figures, those ideas are just as valid as Cummins'.

Thats very ignorant. When someone first brainstorms an idea, the second thing to pop into there head isn't dollar figures. leave that to accountants to figure out the cost. And when the man is simply voicing his opinion, there is no need to cite costs. No money is being put into the research of the idea, as such there should be no accountants doing cost figures, why would he go through the costs and trouble of funding that out of his own pocket.

If someone likes the idea, they should be willing to cover the bill to cite the total costs. Shouldn't be up to the man who created the idea.

EastVanMark
Sep 12, 2007, 9:18 PM
Thats very ignorant. When someone first brainstorms an idea, the second thing to pop into there head isn't dollar figures. leave that to accountants to figure out the cost. And when the man is simply voicing his opinion, there is no need to cite costs. No money is being put into the research of the idea, as such there should be no accountants doing cost figures, why would he go through the costs and trouble of funding that out of his own pocket.

If someone likes the idea, they should be willing to cover the bill to cite the total costs. Shouldn't be up to the man who created the idea.

Okay, then ditto for my hovercraft Star Trek transporter system idea. Maybe its a viable option too. After all, its only an idea. I also put forth the idea of Zeppelin travel, or hover bikes etc. Again, just as valid as any other without figures.

Canadian Mind
Sep 12, 2007, 9:40 PM
well, one figure could be that this is REAL technology already in use elsewhere. He does cite an example in (I believe Holland) which is costing 6 billion dollars. Your's is obviously just a produce of you trying to come up with a ridiculous example. :cool:

At least be original and base your ideas off something besides startrek. :P

Although I must admit, I kinda like your idea for Zeppelin travel. It potentially could be a delivery system for goods around the valley as our highway systems once again become clogged one week after gateway expansion is completed.

cornholio
Sep 12, 2007, 9:42 PM
:)

EastVanMark
Sep 12, 2007, 10:47 PM
:previous: Hovercrafts are real. Other options include tank, zamboni, camels (used for getting around in other parts of the earth) elephants (also used for transportation of both people and goods in other regions on the globe). The latter 2 examples cost less than 6 billion and give off fewer although smellier emissions.

Can't have it both ways. Either provide accurate, meaningful figures or your idea is no more valid as any other one out there.