PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mr.Fantasy..

JBinCalgary
Mar 21, 2007, 2:26 AM
if you could take projects from either edmonton, or calgary to add to you city what would they be.

for myself i would take bellamy tower, nothing great but i think its an ok design
http://www.transamericagroup.com/images/news/bellamy.gif
century park, though not all the towers
http://downwithrobots.com/uploads/store/cp_1.jpg
and for sures the art gallery of alberta
http://www.stoutarc.com/Projects/Slideshows/EAG4.jpg

Coldrsx
Mar 21, 2007, 3:45 AM
TCPL

bankers halls

centrium

arriva towers hold the pod

chocolate

WhipperSnapper
Mar 21, 2007, 3:59 AM
nexen, the bow, and possibly Centrium and that's about it

lubicon
Mar 21, 2007, 5:21 PM
The Legislature building
Commonwealth Stadium
Telus Field
Winspear Centre

Coldrsx
Mar 21, 2007, 5:27 PM
im suprised no one in calgary wants manulife or hotel mac or muttart or SHAW (new north wall) or Telus tower south

or WEM:>

Kevin_foster
Mar 21, 2007, 5:36 PM
ahah they can take WEM.

TCPL and Chocolate for sure.

- Bankers hall

- The saddledome, so I could put dynamite to it.

Canterra
Mar 21, 2007, 5:38 PM
We will take your Mac Hotel for our Westin ... :D
It looks awesome from the river valley in edmonton but
it could also look nice on 4 ave in Calgary

What do you want for the Muttart?

bigcanuck
Mar 21, 2007, 5:39 PM
What do you want for the Muttart?

How about the Fish Creek Library? j/k

Surrealplaces
Mar 21, 2007, 5:51 PM
im suprised no one in calgary wants manulife or hotel mac or muttart or SHAW (new north wall) or Telus tower south

or WEM:>

The hotel mac is too much like the Palliser, although I like Hotel Mac better.

I would take Commonwealth Stadium.

WEM is a definte no.

Kevin_foster
Mar 21, 2007, 5:58 PM
haha Id take Palliser, and I would give you SHAW HALL D AND the Merriot.

Calgarian
Mar 21, 2007, 6:24 PM
I'd take the MacDonald and put it where hotel germain is going, and put germain in Eauclaire. I would also take the legislature and live in it.

Canterra
Mar 21, 2007, 6:36 PM
We will trade you our Sheldon Chumir med centre on 4th St for your Maz heart centre at U of A.

lubicon
Mar 21, 2007, 6:52 PM
Well also take your underground LRT downtown.

Surrealplaces
Mar 21, 2007, 7:20 PM
We should also take Edmonton's unbuilt art gallery. Who knows when we'll get one.

Distill3d
Mar 21, 2007, 7:27 PM
what i want from Edmonton:

Oliver Square
Railtown
Rice Howard Way
Churchill Square
Grant MacEwan College (downtown campus only)
Subway through downtown
and City Center Airport

feepa
Mar 21, 2007, 7:52 PM
if you could take projects from either edmonton, or calgary to add to you city what would they be.

for myself i would take bellamy tower, nothing great but i think its an ok design

century park, though not all the towers

and for sures the art gallery of alberta

I don't think Edson would be able to support those very well.... lol

feepa
Mar 21, 2007, 7:53 PM

Oliver Square
Railtown
Rice Howard Way
Churchill Square
Grant MacEwan College (downtown campus only)
Subway through downtown
and City Center Airport

You can have Oliver Square and Rail Town.

Kevin_foster
Mar 21, 2007, 8:14 PM
Meh, well Keep Oliver Square.

Rail town, we will pay you to take it.

chuber
Mar 21, 2007, 8:47 PM

and City Center Airport

I suppose in exchange for the airport you will give us every building over 150 meters? lol

I wouldn't mind spending a weekend in Calgary every summer for the grand prix in exchange for a nicer downtown. :D

Distill3d
Mar 21, 2007, 9:20 PM
I suppose in exchange for the airport you will give us every building over 150 meters? lol

I wouldn't mind spending a weekend in Calgary every summer for the grand prix in exchange for a nicer downtown. :D

i'll give you all four towers in Bow Valley Square and the Fish Creek Library, and maybe, if you're lucky, I'll give you Westbrook Mall and/or 39 Avenue C-Train station for the City Center and the Race.

...wait, i'm gonna need 39 Avenue to service my new airport...scrap that idea.

JBinCalgary
Mar 21, 2007, 9:21 PM
having the grand prix in calgary would be cool.
calling it the west edmonton mall GP is just so gay

Distill3d
Mar 21, 2007, 9:26 PM

suppose we'll either call it the Encana Grand Prix of Calgary? or how about the Big Rock Indy Calgary (as a throw back to the old Molson Indy)?

Hootch
Mar 21, 2007, 9:35 PM
I want:

*the Centrium
*Penny lane
*Centuria
*and I know it's nothing really special, but I love Churchill Estates.

chuber
Mar 21, 2007, 10:26 PM

Sorry, it would still have to be called the WEMGP. That would be a condition of cowtown getting the airport. lol

JBinCalgary
Mar 21, 2007, 10:41 PM
no way.
westbrook mall grand prix sounds better

Western Spaghetti
Mar 22, 2007, 3:38 AM
I'll take the CN Tower. I know most people don't like it, but I think it has a cool retro sort of look. Pus it was the tallest building west of Toronto at one time i believe.

Coldrsx
Mar 22, 2007, 4:39 AM
I'll take the CN Tower. I know most people don't like it, but I think it has a cool retro sort of look. Pus it was the tallest building west of Toronto at one time i believe.

love it

Bad Grizzly
Mar 26, 2007, 2:50 PM
I'll take Commonwealth stadium, thank you. Calgary could use a real football stadium.

DLLB
Mar 26, 2007, 3:17 PM
I'll take Commonwealth stadium, thank you. Calgary could use a real football stadium.

It would be really nice to get a new stadium, but unfortunatley, I don't think it will happen for a long time. I hope Winnipeg gets their new stadium. There are some interesting designs for a new one.

SHOFEAR
Mar 26, 2007, 3:20 PM
I'll take Canada Olympic Park.

feepa
Mar 26, 2007, 3:27 PM
I'll take the proximity to banff

Coldrsx
Mar 26, 2007, 3:42 PM
...Calgary Minor Soccer Association: News Release

The U16 Soccer Club Nationals moves North!

Edmonton and surrounding area Wins Again!

Huge Loss to Calgary's Tourism and Sport Community!

CALGARY, ALBERTA--(CCNMatthews - March 24, 2007) - Calgary Minor Soccer Association:

History

In 2005 the Calgary Minor Soccer Association along with the Calgary Soccer Federation requested to host the Under 16 National Club Championships in Calgary. This request was accepted by the Alberta Soccer Association and the Canadian Soccer Association therefore, Calgary began planning to host this event. Over the next 2 years the Local Organizing Committee began the organization and securing of grants to make this a memorable and successful event for Calgary. It was anticipated that over 35,000 spectators would view the 600 boys' and girls' from across Canada competing and representing their province over a 6 day period. This event was expected to bring a substantial amount of tourism dollars to Calgary. The Under 16 Soccer Club Nationals were supported by: Calgary Tourism, Calgary Sport Council, City of Calgary, and the Calgary Soccer Community to host this event.

Event

Contracts had been prepared for accommodation, transportation, and fields in order to host this event in Calgary. The Local Organizing Committee had formed committee's. Planning was well underway to make this a memorable and successful event for all. On March 12, 2007 the Calgary Minor Soccer Association and the Calgary Soccer Federation received a letter stating:

"It is with regret that the Alberta Soccer Association (ASA) must withdraw its support at this time to have the U16 Boys and Girls club nationals held in Calgary this October as originally anticipated. A high quality level of Soccer pitch (fields) is required to host such a competition. It is the view of the ASA technical staff at this time that the fields in Calgary are inadequate to host such an event."

This event will now be moved to the Edmonton Area.

Gary Steen, President of the Calgary Minor Soccer Association and Local Organizing Committee Chairman stated:

"Edmonton, Sherwood Park, and Saskatoon have better outdoor facilities than Calgary. It is a shame that we continue to lose out on hosting major competitions for soccer. I hope we can resolve this situation in the near future."

Conclusion

In 2004 Calgary and Edmonton tried to coordinate a joint bid in order to host the Under 20 World Cup in Alberta. Calgary lost out in this joint bid due to the lack of adequate facilities. Edmonton is hosting the Under 20 World Cup and presently, there are over 500,000 tickets sold, making this the largest single sporting event to be held in Toronto, Burnaby, Vancouver, and Edmonton. Calgary has now lost the Under 16 Nationals for 2007 due to a lack of quality fields in the city. We urge the City of Calgary Council and the City of Calgary Soccer Community to take action to remedy the situation.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Calgary Minor Soccer Association
Daryl Leinweber
Executive Director
(403) 807-7161
Email: execdirector@calgaryminorsoccer.com

Arriviste
Mar 26, 2007, 4:02 PM
Soccers for European immigrants.

(Actually I played 15 seasons, quite successfully I might add. None the less, this story aint no thang)

Coldrsx
Mar 26, 2007, 4:04 PM
^it isnt a new head office or a new f1 race, but Edmonton gets a very disproportionate amount of these events compared to other cities which really is a boon to the hotel, service, tourism sectors. Not to mention YEG and the such.

IntotheWest
Mar 26, 2007, 4:06 PM
Forgive my ignorance (I do enjoy soccer), but is this really a "huge" loss? What is "substantial amount of tourism dollars" for a minor nationals event?

Anyway, Edmonton is the soccer city in Canada in my opinion. It still gets me that Commonwealth won't host the final game at the U-20 World Cup.

Coldrsx
Mar 26, 2007, 4:26 PM
maybe not major, but substantial...

"It was anticipated that over 35,000 spectators would view the 600 boys' and girls' from across Canada competing and representing their province over a 6 day period. This event was expected to bring a substantial amount of tourism dollars to Calgary."

600 kids means like 1000-1200 people for hotels, food, services, shopping for a week.

thats like a major conference.

Distill3d
Mar 26, 2007, 5:10 PM
Forgive my ignorance (I do enjoy soccer), but is this really a "huge" loss? What is "substantial amount of tourism dollars" for a minor nationals event?

Anyway, Edmonton is the soccer city in Canada in my opinion. It still gets me that Commonwealth won't host the final game at the U-20 World Cup.

yeah i wish i didn't have to spend the money to travel to Toronto to see it. but then again, i wish i didn't have to spend the money to goto Toronto to see the opening game either.

Edmonton is soccer town east of Vancouver and west of Toronto.

Daver
Mar 28, 2007, 12:52 AM
For sale or barter:
One 100ft. Dinosaur and a 22 year old world class museum
will consider trades for a 400 + ft. communist block tower to give Drum a skyline above the valley floor.

Will throw in a :old: Coal mine museum and a life time supply of shale to secure deal. :tup:

Deepstar
Mar 28, 2007, 1:01 AM
^it isnt a new head office or a new f1 race, but Edmonton gets a very disproportionate amount of these events compared to other cities which really is a boon to the hotel, service, tourism sectors. Not to mention YEG and the such.

Well, just be glad that Calgary doesn't put more effort into these types of events or Edmonton wouldn't be getting them.

I feel for the Calgary minor soccer association, it sounds like they had this in the palm of their hands even with inadequate facilities. I also give Edmonton credit for going after these kinds of events.

Coldrsx
Mar 28, 2007, 1:07 AM
"Well, just be glad that Calgary doesn't put more effort into these types of events or Edmonton wouldn't be getting them."

just like IAAF, CHAMP, etc....uh huh

bigcanuck
Mar 28, 2007, 3:28 PM
For sale or barter:
One 100ft. Dinosaur and a 22 year old world class museum
will consider trades for a 400 + ft. communist block tower to give Drum a skyline above the valley floor.

Will throw in a :old: Coal mine museum and a life time supply of shale to secure deal. :tup:

If you also throw in the back 9 of the golf course, the defunct hovercraft from '94 and the Wayne bar, we'll discuss...

ExcaliburKid
Mar 28, 2007, 5:07 PM
Well, just be glad that Calgary doesn't put more effort into these types of events or Edmonton wouldn't be getting them.

I feel for the Calgary minor soccer association, it sounds like they had this in the palm of their hands even with inadequate facilities. I also give Edmonton credit for going after these kinds of events.

Um pretty sure Calgary "puts in effort" for these, but, alas, you Calgarians simply dont have the facilities. Pity.

As for what I would trade, our river for your river, but we get to keep the river valley. Reason being; I love fly fishing :notacrook:

Distill3d
Mar 28, 2007, 5:29 PM
If you also throw in the back 9 of the golf course, the defunct hovercraft from '94 and the Wayne bar, we'll discuss...

don't want the wayne bar. not worth it. the 11 bridges need too much work to actually be worth the drive

i say throw in the suspension bridge and the Ferry (along with everything else), and we'll give you something along the lines of the shorter tower of Bow Valley Square

Surrealplaces
Mar 28, 2007, 6:05 PM
"Well, just be glad that Calgary doesn't put more effort into these types of events or Edmonton wouldn't be getting them."

just like IAAF, CHAMP, etc....uh huh

The key word being 'more effort'. Calgary needs to put more effort into these kinds of things. They were given the soccer tournament despite not having the facilities in the first place.