PDA

View Full Version : Alberta creates 27 per cent of new jobs

Coldrsx
Mar 15, 2007, 5:21 PM
Alberta creates 27 per cent of new jobs (10:33 a.m.)
edmontonjournal.com
Published: Thursday, March 15, 2007

Alberta created more than a quarter of Canada’s new jobs last year, as well as boasting the nation’s lowest unemployment rate in 30 years at 3.4 per cent, a new report reveals.

Albertans also earned the highest average hourly wage, and employment growth tripled to 86,000, according to the 2006 Alberta Labour Market Review.

The report also showed:
Email to a friendEmail to a friendPrinter friendlyPrinter friendly
Font:

— The number of new full-time jobs more than doubled to nearly 92,500.

— Alberta has only 10 per cent of Canada’s working age population but created 27 per cent of all new jobs.

— The combined average hourly wage for full-time and part-time employees rose by nearly seven per cent to more than $21, the biggest year-over year increase in almost 30 years.

— The number of unionized workers in Alberta increased by more than 37,000 in 2006.

“Alberta’s thriving economy is something to be proud of as it reflects the hard work of Albertans,” said Iris Evans, Minister of Alberta Employment, Immigration and Industry. “However, with a projected shortfall of 109,000 workers within 10 years we need to expand and develop the province’s labour force.”

The report underscores why building a stronger Alberta and managing growth pressures are two of Premier Ed Stelmach’s top priorities, Evans said.

IKAN104
Mar 15, 2007, 9:08 PM
Truly amazing.

Wooster
Mar 15, 2007, 10:57 PM
Impressive numbers. And pretty much all sectors are short.

The City of Calgary is sending a team of 6 recruiters for the planning department across the country. They are coming to my school (Queen's) tomorrow) to see if they can convince people to work for them. Hook me up, I wanna work!

bob1954
Mar 31, 2007, 5:07 PM
They should send the recruiters to the USA. There are plenty of workers that would go up North, if it were'nt for the immigration policies!