PDA

View Full Version : The city's new heart

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Mar 9, 2007, 2:32 PM
Elegant, treed design chosen for remake, now it's up to public, firms to raise $24M
Mar 09, 2007 04:30 AM
John Spears
CITY HALL BUREAU

http://www.thestar.com/images/assets/191432_3.JPG
Plant Architect Inc., Toronto, with Shore Tilbe Irwin & Partners (architect, Toronto); Peter Lindsay Schaudt Landscape Architecture, Inc. (landscape architect, Chicago); Adrian Blackwell (design collaborator, Toronto); Blackwell Bowick Partnership Limited (structural engineer, Toronto); and Crossey Engineering Ltd. (mechanical and electrical engineers, Toronto)

Toronto has an elegant new design to rejuvenate Nathan Phillips Square.

Now all that's needed is the money to get the job done.

A six-member jury announced the winner of the design competition at city hall last night: Plant Architect Inc. & Shore Tilbe Irwin.

It features a permanent stage on the west side of the square, and a new restaurant and skating change rooms west of the reflecting pool.

Thickly planted trees will sprout along the Queen St. side of the square, with more trees along Bay St. The Peace Garden shifts to the west edge of the square and the roof of the main city hall podium will become a lawn and sculpture garden.

Seats will be scattered across the open spaces of the square and a disappearing fountain will spout water. Top standards for environmental design are featured throughout.

The one fly in the ointment: The city doesn't yet have money in the kitty for the $40 million project. City council has earmarked $16 million in its five-year capital budget. That leaves $24 million that Mayor David Miller says must be raised from public and corporate donations.

But Miller noted that the project is designed so it can proceed in stages, so the money needn't flow all at once. And fundraising will cement the public's bonds with the square, he said.

"We're confident we'll be able to raise the money to complete it as it should be," Miller said after the winner was announced.

"It should be magnificent. That's what we deserve in this city and I think building a partnership with Torontonians is the way to do it."

Nor will the need for money stop with the original construction tab.

The city absorbed a stern warning from the jury that, once completed, the rejuvenated square will need ongoing care and attention.

Their proposal: A curator to care for the square's physical well-being and to co-ordinate activities that take place in it.

"We firmly believe that the new space will require a new level of stewardship that frankly has not been evident in the past," architect Eric Haldenby, who chaired the jury, told Miller and the assembled notables after announcing the winner.

Public spaces need attention, he said in an interview:

"My sense is in Nathan Phillips Square there has not been a co-ordinated oversight of the space itself ... The consequences are a kind of slow deterioration of the space.

"If they go ahead with the proposition of the sustainability features, like the gardens on the roof, they cannot be just left like the sort of paltry things that are up there now," he said.

"There has to be a new level of commitment."

The jury even proposed a source for funding to keep the square spruced up.

There is, Haldenby said "$7.5 million (in revenue) from the parking garage downstairs: If we're into sustainability, there could be a little bit of a tax from parking, in our view."

If the city neglects the square, he said, the members won't be silent: "We assure the city that we the jury will not walk away and forget it ... We will be watching."

The jury included former mayor David Crombie and author Michael Ondaatje.

Andrew Frontini, a member of the winning team, said the designers were sensitive to the city's uncertain finances. "It actually breaks down into discrete pieces quite nicely, so we imagine our design could be very successfully staged," he said.

"For example, we could start with the rejuvenation of the podium or the elevated walkway, and not worry about the restaurant or the theatre for a few years."

Miller said Chicago raised $100 million for its Millennium Park, and Toronto has a history of successful fundraising.

"Torontonians will contribute the same way," he said. "People contributed to Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts right across the street, ROM, all these institutions.

"Nathan Phillips Square is the most important space in this city. We've got $16 million of city money in, and I'm confident we'll raise the remaining money soon ... I'm not going to stick a deadline on."

Contributors will be recognized "very discreetly," Miller said; no one will be skating on the Coca-Cola Rink.

"Absolutely not," he said. "This is Nathan Phillips Square, that's how it's going to remain."

Miller said his confidence in the project was boosted by the passion of the winning design team: "I think that passion's going to translate into tremendous rejuvenation of this public space."

Frontini said he hopes the environmental sensitivity of the design will be "a banner to the city of Toronto and a statement that says: `We are a city that supports sustainability.'"

WhipperSnapper
Mar 9, 2007, 3:51 PM
no complaints - liked Plant the best

Taller Better
Mar 9, 2007, 4:26 PM
I think the Bavarian Sausage Wagon should have been made a permanent part of the square.... a kind of shrine, perhaps.

Waterloo_Guy
Mar 9, 2007, 8:17 PM
What will it look like in the winter? Trees are great, but I hope the whole design doesn't hinge on green space or it's a dud.

arnold
Mar 9, 2007, 8:35 PM
looks great... the more trees in the downtown core, the better. and skating amongst all of those trees in the winter months will be pretty neat.

i think that they will also be a more welcoming boundry (portal) than the cement structures currently in place. hopefully, it will encourage more people to walk through and enjoy the square.

psychosomatic
Mar 9, 2007, 10:09 PM
great! my fav proposal, cuz of all the dwntwn greenery it contributes, something i think we could use a bit more of in toronto.

psychosomatic
Mar 9, 2007, 10:10 PM
just hope the green roof and sculpture garden are handled with utmost care. has the potential to look weird.

samne
Mar 9, 2007, 10:41 PM
That was my pick too! Now the hard part of coming up with the dough. Hey Harper, you wanna buy some more votes?

Question: Will the elevated walkway on Queen be demolished?

WhipperSnapper
Mar 9, 2007, 11:36 PM
^no

LilZebra
Mar 13, 2007, 3:06 AM
What will it look like in the winter? Trees are great, but I hope the whole design doesn't hinge on green space or it's a dud.

That's why it's a good idea to string Christmas lights on the trees for Winter, like on Broadway in Winnipeg. Makes it look good all year round.

http://www.blairchamber.com/programs/events/Lights/images/trees.jpg
Blair County PA (USA)

Blair County Holiday Lights on the Lake (http://www.blairchamber.com/programs/events/Lights/index.php)

zerokarma
Mar 13, 2007, 5:35 PM
Are they still going to allow the bumbs to sleep at city hall after they redevelop it?

Snashcan
Mar 13, 2007, 6:15 PM
Hey everyone just thought I'd give my 2 cents....

I am a student at fanshawe college in London in the land planning degree (have a diploma in landscape design). I am currently working on a student submission for the student nathan phillips square re-design.

1st this would not be my choice for the redesign, i think it does not adress any of the major issues at Nathan Phillips and secondly, this is not a very creative design.

I noticed a lot of people are talking about how the square will have more trees and be greener. From the concept it certaintly looks to be that way, but in fact there is not many more trees at all, they are just showing all these trees at full growth (50 years minimum) and very few urban street trees every live past 15 years. If they were to show the trees with a more realistic size I think public opinion would greatly change. They did add a greenroof which is great, but in reality the square might even become a harder place then before. I realize they plan to make the square leed certified, which is again great, but planning and circulation routes have been very poorly addressed.

The Square is still lacking a strong connection to the western green space, the giant concrete pad which is the central square still remains without any living component. The design seems to be more of a quick fix then a long term solution. I do not see this design being able to go long without a redesign being called for once again. It seemed as though they have but very little thought into making the square more of an enjoyable space, rather then an interesting architectural piece.

In my opinion the Rogers Marvel Architects, Ken Smith Landscape Architect, duToit Allsopp Hillier entry was the best. It was very inovative and called for a true modern update of the square. Some of the design was questionable such as the outdoor fireplace, but overall it was the strongest entry.

I'm a bit dissapointed that my groups entry into the student competition will have no effect on the redesign, along with all the other student entries. But the city has made its choice, we'll have to see what happens

Taller Better
Mar 13, 2007, 9:15 PM
That's why it's a good idea to string Christmas lights on the trees for Winter, like on Broadway in Winnipeg. Makes it look good all year round.

it is done at City Hall here, too:

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/2655/dec0405cityhallvite3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

@Snashcan, it is always a good exercise at school to try to make solutions for these design situations, but I don't think
you should go as far as thinking they are going to affect the outcome of the competition. The winner did not do as much of a makeover as you would have liked, but the point of this was not to treat the square as a blank slate, it was simply to add improvements to what quite a lot of people consider one of the finest architectural gems this city has. I am happy the "improvements" are understated and would have been mortified if someone had been more aggressive and overly "creative".

Waterloo_Guy
Mar 14, 2007, 3:46 AM
Are they still going to allow the bumbs to sleep at city hall after they redevelop it?

They've been incorporated into the new design.