PDA

View Full Version : Comox Valley Airport stretching, airlines expanding flights

SpongeG
Jan 24, 2007, 10:16 PM
Using a sprinkle of humour, CEO Chuck Fast took his attentive audience on a journey of the past 12 months at the Comox Valley Airport.

“The outlook (for the airport) is extremely positive. I can’t see the end of it,” Fast said last week, adding besides adding more parking spots to accommodate travellers, there’s a good chance the terminal will expand on the lawn east of the current facility.

“I don’t know when,” added Fast.

One of seven speakers involved in the Building Links’ forecasting event Thursday at the Best Western Westerly Hotel, Fast acknowledged the Valley’s airport for the third consecutive year garnered top honours when it comes to customer satisfaction for all participating airports in Canada.

“Ease of access, accessibility for an Alberta market are all important to us,” said Fast, who pointed to the December launch of direct flights between Comox and Edmonton as another feature for the local airport that can brag it has the second-longest runway in B.C.

Fast conceded a high degree of customer satisfaction with the Comox Valley Airport facilities is needed for CVAC to achieve its vision of becoming “Vancouver Island’s preferred mid-Island gateway.”

Fast said he likes to gauge his airport’s strength by looking at how similar airports are doing in Victoria and Kelowna.

Customers suggested that the availability of taxis and buses needs to improve as well as access roads to and from the airport.

The airport’s growth has climbed steadily since 1999 when 62,806 passengers went through the former terminal. In 2006, passenger growth had jumped to 238,612.

Passenger numbers were up 13.8 per cent in 2006 from the year before, according to Fast, with most of that growth due to increases in the Calgary and Vancouver markets.

The Air Canada Jazz flights to Calgary are becoming more popular. Moreover, the benefits of the WestJet direct flights three times a week to Edmonton, which started last month, will be realized with Vancouver Island recognition in the City of Champion’s market.

Fast said passenger numbers will only increase in 2007 with the Edmonton direct flights and additional air service development.

Calgary-based WestJet has decided to increase the direct flights from Edmonton to Comox from three times a week to daily starting April 2. Currently, flights arrive in the Valley at 1:30 p.m. with the plane then heading east again 30 minutes later.

The current twice-a-day flights between Calgary and Comox will also increase this year, with WestJet planes out of Cowtown making three flights a day here beginning in May.

And what about the 2007 outlook for the airport?

With a much improved B.C. economy tied in with an equally dynamic Alberta economy, air travel via Comox will continue to demonstrate strong gains.

As additional air service is provided, notably to the American market, the Comox Valley Airport will see increased passenger numbers, Fast indicated.

Furthermore, as the Island market improves, Comox is well positioned, according to Fast, to implement long-haul air service primarily to Europe.

To accomplish this, the local airport will continue to invest in infrastructure to support and facilitate air passenger travel.

There has been an increase in charter and corporate aircraft activity due to the favourable economic climate in the region.

The popularity of the local airport with residents from the Malahat to north Vancouver Island continues and has necessitated improvements to the airport facilities.

Additional check-in counters and conveyors were added, upgrades to security systems, and more recently the addition of more long-term parking was provided.

http://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=8&cat=23&id=817361&more=

brento79
Jan 24, 2007, 10:55 PM
Great to see! Hopefully we see Air Canada Jazz add YEG to Comox. There is so much potential between our two markets.

Canadian Mind
Jan 25, 2007, 3:11 AM
i'm hoping westjet will beat out jazz... but i lost faith in AC years ago... westjet is so much nicer.

I'm hoping for more flights, cause it will mean they be hiring more ground staff, and I wouldn't mind going there, half my air cadet squadron already does.

Jarrod
Feb 1, 2007, 10:47 PM
The AC plane from Comox to Calgary is too cramped. I pretty much had someone sitting on top of me. It wasn't the greatest.

It's a nice terminal though. I'll be going back to it sooner or later since the 'rents still live in Black Creek

Canadian Mind
Feb 1, 2007, 11:07 PM
Tip directly from the tarmac: Don't fly AC. :)

Westjet has daily flights to and from Calgary, and they always have a surplus number of seats.

YYCguys
Feb 2, 2007, 2:16 AM
Tip directly from the tarmac: Don't fly AC. :)

Westjet has daily flights to and from Calgary, and they always have a surplus number of seats.

Uh oh...that doesn't sound very good for Westjet. I was always under the impression that Westjet flights were fullish in and out of Comox and that is one of the reasons I didn't move there after all (I was planning to live part of the month in Comox and part of the month in Calgary).

Jarrod
Feb 2, 2007, 3:55 AM
AC was cheaper... by like $100.

And it was full.

m0nkyman
Feb 2, 2007, 4:37 AM
Uh oh...that doesn't sound very good for Westjet. I was always under the impression that Westjet flights were fullish in and out of Comox and that is one of the reasons I didn't move there after all (I was planning to live part of the month in Comox and part of the month in Calgary).

WestJet is flying twice daily out of Calgary, and three times a week out of Edmonton....soon to be daily out of Edmonton...

WestJet is doing OK on these flights...

Canadian Mind
Feb 2, 2007, 5:16 AM
yea, even during the busiest week of summer, a flight I was on was 7/8 of the way full for west jet. mind you that was a morning flight to Calgary, dunno how many folks fly that.

It really isn't that bad, and if you have the extra 100, invest it in the extra headroom, legroom, seat room, and amount of air to breath.