PDA

View Full Version : Manitoba: Is it part of the east or west?

Only The Lonely..
Jan 19, 2007, 6:39 AM
I had to start this thread, this question has been bugging me for way too long.

Technically speaking the government recognizes Manitoba as being the 'Gateway to Western Canada'. Although in my experience most Westerner's, even those from Saskatchewan, don't really consider Manitoba as being part of the 'west'. Even in the CFL, the Bombers occasionally find themselves playing in the east.

My question is, do you consider Manitoba to have more in common with the east or the west?

Greco Roman
Jan 19, 2007, 6:45 AM
Oh oh, your asking for trouble! :haha: jk

I know what you mean. We are the keystone province that unites east and west; quite unique and something to be proud of. I don't mind being affiliated with the east; I"ve always loved NW Ontario myself; it truly is Manitoba's playground. We do share an ocean body with two eastern (central, depending on your pt. of view) provinces, plus we have lakes that can, IMO be considered as "Great Lakes". But we are considered a "western province" by definition, so it really does depend on the point of view. When I am in the Canadian Shield, I feel like I'm in the east (since it's so close to Winnipeg, I was there quite often), but once on the prairie, it feels west. Basically, "east" is east of Winnipeg, and "west" is west of Winnipeg".

This should be interesting!

Only The Lonely..
Jan 19, 2007, 6:48 AM
What got me thinking about this is that in the U.S they define the west as starting much further east. For example, many Americans consider places like Detroit and Milwaukee to be midwestern cities.

However, in Canada i've never really gotten the feeling that the rest of Western Canada thinks of us as being part of the west.

Conversely, i'm not sure may Ontarians think of NW Ontario and MB as being part of the east.

Politically Manitoba probably has more in common with Ontario, provincial politics here tends to drift anywhere from center to left of center. Even our PC party is still much more liberal than their counterparts in the rest of the country.

Taller Better
Jan 19, 2007, 6:50 AM
Even when I lived there, I considered it part of the West. Still do.

CCF
Jan 19, 2007, 6:50 AM
I consider Manitoba to be in the west, but I do see what you are getting at.

It is on a fine line between east and west. I think the way of life in Manitoba resembles the west moreso than the east.

dubiousmike
Jan 19, 2007, 6:52 AM
However, in Canada i've never really gotten the feeling that western canada thinks of us as being part of the west.

Not really, no. But we don't really consider you part of the east either.

Let's just say that Winnipeg is the monolithic nexus of central Canada.

big W
Jan 19, 2007, 7:05 AM
mike are you saying that Manitoba is just there?

I personally see Manitoba as central Canada.
To me the West is BC, AB , SK
East is ON, QC and then Atlantic is the 4 Atlantic provinces with the North being the 3 territories.

1ajs
Jan 19, 2007, 7:25 AM
winnipeg is somthing like 30 miles away from the center of north amarica.....

were the midle whats rong with that we get everything here

salvius
Jan 19, 2007, 8:08 AM
Yeah, I'd say Manitoba is central.

softee
Jan 19, 2007, 8:12 AM
Definitely West.

harls
Jan 19, 2007, 12:56 PM
I've always considered it West, up until you pass the eastern edge of Winnipeg.. that I consider East.

I think the way of life in Manitoba resembles the west moreso than the east.

Especially the part of Manitoba where I'm from.

MolsonExport
Jan 19, 2007, 2:27 PM
West. Why? Because of all that near-emptyness that exists in the Western half of Ontario. Then you hit the Manitoba border...and there are farms...big ass farms of the sort that you would only expect in the West. This will be familiar to those that have driven across Canada, as I have. Manitoba seamlessly flows into Saskatchewan (land of "Corner Gas" and MooseJaw)...and you really have to say that you are definitely in the West. Sask flows without pause into Alberta. And Alberta is more 'West' than British Columbia, irrespective of what a map might tell you.

caltrane74
Jan 19, 2007, 2:50 PM
Winnipeg/Manitoba is west. Dammit London Ontario is western Canada to me. Why the hell did they name thier school "Western"?

harls
Jan 19, 2007, 3:10 PM
This screams 'west'.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/117/309065810_12ac173b5c_o.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/101/309068247_81ed5aa587_o.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/116/309067888_feb1a9b5de_o.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/120/309066220_f96c6af8d9_o.jpg

Now I'm sure someone will post pics of the Canadian Shield and serene lakes, but this is the Manitoba I grew up in. ;)

ReginaGuy
Jan 19, 2007, 3:15 PM
Manitoba is west in my mind, never thought of it as anything else. JUst like "northern" Ontario isn't really that northern

Greco Roman
Jan 19, 2007, 3:15 PM
^^ But just to be fair, the Canadian Shield and boreal forest area make up more of Manitoba than the prairie does. :)

WhipperSnapper
Jan 19, 2007, 3:19 PM
best to follow the CFL

Habanero
Jan 19, 2007, 3:19 PM
The west. Mabitoba's culture and history is definitely 'the west'

feepa
Jan 19, 2007, 3:28 PM
^^ But just to be fair, the Canadian Shield and boreal forest area make up more of Manitoba than the prairie does. :)

Oh lets not start that arguement/discussion again about Manitoba not being a prairie province. I thought we came to some sort of conclusion that all of the "prairie provinces" were not strickly prairie.

Taller Better
Jan 19, 2007, 3:32 PM
Strangely, there never was really a "central" part in the lexicography of Canada. Nor a "mid West". It has always been just West and East. I'd say most people consider Manitoba to be part of the West as it is considered a Prairie Province (despite a recent thread to the contrary! LOL!)

someone123
Jan 19, 2007, 3:37 PM
Well, around here, Ontario and maybe Quebec are considered "Central Canada".

I have always considered Manitoba Western. Its history is similar to the other Western provinces and it is more like them geographically. It is also quite far from the population centres of Ontario.

Taller Better
Jan 19, 2007, 3:41 PM
Well, around here, Ontario and maybe Quebec are considered "Central Canada".

I have always considered Manitoba Western. Its history is similar to the other Western provinces and it is more like them geographically. It is also quite far from the population centres of Ontario.

Actually, you are completely right, someone. I just woke up and am a bit groggy. Wasn't thinking clearly.:whip: :P Ontario/Quebec is sometimes considered Eastern and sometimes considered Central. Technically the Peg
should be considered "Central" but normally it is not.

Doug
Jan 19, 2007, 4:41 PM
Everything east of Calgary is East:)

bluenoser
Jan 19, 2007, 4:51 PM
Certainly I agree: due to its history and how that affects the 'culture' as well as its geography, and given the layout of population in Canada (and even the general shape/setup of the province), it's all West.

That said, I like to consider it Eastern since my girlfriend is from Winnipeg and I'm from Halifax.

Is is true that Winnipeg is at or near the geographical centre of North America?

harls
Jan 19, 2007, 4:58 PM
Is is true that Winnipeg is at or near the geographical centre of North America?

Close.. that title belongs to Rugby, ND.

http://www.realnd.com/images/rugbycenterpano.jpg

murman
Jan 19, 2007, 5:14 PM
winnipeg is somthing like 30 miles away from the center of north amarica.....

were the midle whats rong with that we get everything here

Except for something called a DICTIONARY.

This website can spoon-feed you a spell-checker. See that checkmark icon with and ABC over it when you're posting? USE IT.

Thunderball
Jan 19, 2007, 5:37 PM
I've always felt that Manitoba was Central Canada with Ontario and Quebec.

The East is Nfld and the Maritimes, the West is BC, Alberta and Sask, and the North is well, obvious.

Pavlov
Jan 19, 2007, 5:52 PM

http://www.realnd.com/images/rugbycenterpano.jpg

Cool. I just added Rugby ND to my list of places to see before I die. I really didn't expect North Dakota to make it on there.

IntotheWest
Jan 19, 2007, 6:35 PM
I had this argument with Toronto colleagues whilst on a project in Winnipeg a couple years ago...I think it should be considered "Central Canada" (you can imagine their reaction to this). Given the fact that you even have to ask if its east or west is good enough proof.

bluenoser
Jan 19, 2007, 6:39 PM

Clearly they've neglected Ellesmere Island in their calculations. That'll tip the scales in favour of Manitoba!

(if that's indeed a favourable distinction...)

Taller Better
Jan 19, 2007, 6:39 PM
Cool. I just added Rugby ND to my list of places to see before I die. I really didn't expect North Dakota to make it on there.

A word of advice... put it near the bottom of your "to do" list, just in case you run out of time to get the others done! ;)

Land is divided by sections, etc.. out west and at one time I lived on the 0 line where it started east and west. That was pretty much right in the centre of the country! LOL!

Greco Roman
Jan 19, 2007, 7:41 PM
Oh lets not start that arguement/discussion again about Manitoba not being a prairie province. I thought we came to some sort of conclusion that all of the "prairie provinces" were not strickly prairie.

I don't think you understand the informality of this thread; it's only for fun. Don't take it so damn seriously! :notacrook:

Taller Better
Jan 19, 2007, 7:48 PM
I don't think you understand the informality of this thread; it's only for fun. Don't take it so damn seriously! :notacrook:

LOL! He is referring to that other bizarre thread where some people got all shirty about Manitoba being called a Prairie Province. It truly was a bizarre thread.

Kevin_foster
Jan 19, 2007, 8:11 PM
Except for something called a DICTIONARY.

This website can spoon-feed you a spell-checker. See that checkmark icon with and ABC over it when you're posting? USE IT.

:yes:

habsfan
Jan 19, 2007, 8:21 PM
i'd say Manitoba is part of the west!

Greco Roman
Jan 19, 2007, 8:29 PM

The East is Nfld and the Maritimes, the West is BC, Alberta and Sask, and the North is well, obvious.

I agree 100%. We are a central province; not all east and not all west. Central. I wish the poll had that category :(

Blitz
Jan 19, 2007, 10:23 PM
I drove through Rugby during my move up to Brandon last month but it was too dark to get a pic of the monument, damn it. I'll get one eventually though.

Anyhow, Manitoba is definitely western. Maybe it's just Brandon, but the amount of country music on the radio and the number of people with the "support our troops" ribbons, and the whole conservative vibe here just makes it different from the east.

samne
Jan 19, 2007, 10:28 PM
MB is Central and gateway to the West.

It's frontier with some colonial. Agricultural with some rustbelt.

American similarity between Wisconsin and North Dakota.

VANRIDERFAN
Jan 19, 2007, 11:01 PM
Winnipeg, it could be argued, may have a little more in common with Toronto than Calgary. But once you get outside of the Perimeter Highway that surrounds Winnipeg like the Iron Curtin there is a definite western-anti central Canada feel to the province. Why do you think Winnipegers would elect a pinko lefty like Llyod Axworthy and Manitobans elect a hard rightwinger like Vic Toews.

Greco Roman
Jan 19, 2007, 11:05 PM
One thing I like about Winnipeg is that it is not a pro-country music :yuck: city to the extent that Edmonton or Calgary are. I will NEVER get used to that music as long as I live.

MonkeyRonin
Jan 20, 2007, 1:02 AM
From a purely latitudinal standpoint, I consider Manitoba and Ontario as Central Canada. however, if its East OR West, then it would certainly be on the west side. also, it is culturally more similar and is more connected the western provinces than Ontario, and as such, is in Western Canada.

kool maudit
Jan 20, 2007, 3:15 AM
manitoba is totes west.

the houses aren't joined together and there was nothing there 300 years ago.

vid
Jan 20, 2007, 3:53 AM
Northern Ontario is central Canada. Manitoba is centre west. Anything west of Kenora is west, east of Sudbury is east.

South of North Bay is 'down east', or as we call it, 'that place what has the govurnmint.'

BlackRedGold
Jan 20, 2007, 5:23 AM

But the only province that extends further east then Quebec is Newfoundland & Labradour.

Xelebes
Jan 20, 2007, 5:35 AM
Basically, "east" is east of Winnipeg, and "west" is west of Winnipeg".

That's how I always understood it.

Andy6
Jan 20, 2007, 5:44 AM
I would say that western Canada starts when you emerge out of the Canadian shield at that infamous point about 6 miles west of Falcon Lake. Eastern Canada begins at the point when you start to get into the Greater Sault Ste. Marie area, at Batchawana Bay where in the old days Highway 17 ended. The part in between is a kind of buffer zone that serves no purpose other than to keep the warring factions at a safe distance.

vid
Jan 20, 2007, 5:47 AM
The part in between is a kind of buffer zone that serves no purpose other than to keep the warring factions at a safe distance.

It also keeps the communists contained in a well-manageable spot.

trueviking
Jan 20, 2007, 6:03 AM
western manitoba is definately the west, but winnipeg and east is a bit trickier.

it is kind of in its own little world...it is a transition city in many ways...

politically, winnipeg and east is split almost evenly between the 3 parties...a transition from liberal ontario and the conservative west....

the age and form of the city is also a transition between the 200 year old cities in the east and the new ones in the west....it is somewhere between both....it is true that we dont have 3 storey walk ups, but most of the city is densely packed, century old housing on grid streets with back lanes...an older urban layout not as prominent in the rest of the west......our downtown is filled with old brick buildings not difinitive of the west but not specifically eastern either....somewhere between the two...

the cultural institutions and history of the city are more typical of the east than the west.

the french/english split in southern manitoba is a legacy of the connection to the east, not the west.

the aboriginal make-up of the city, it could be argued is an indication of the city being a gateway to the north as well.

half an hour west of winnipeg is the canadian shield which defines the begining of the east and to the west is the vast prairie, symbolic of the west...it is really the place where that intellectual transition is made.

in my opinion, winnipeg has traditionally defined itself as western and never eastern, but over the past 30 years as the provinces to the west have begun to grow and re-define themselves and their role in canada, winnipeg's connection to the west has become less intrinsic....provinces to the west have challenges and concerns that are not shared in manitoba...our economy is different...our ethnic make-up is different....with their new prominence and wealth, the provinces to the west face different issues than us and our historic intellectual connection has become severed in many ways.

when people talk about western alienation or when the government says 'the west wants in', the feeling in winnipeg is often that they are talking about people west of us...alienation is not an issue really and many of the concerns and values that are found in the west are not found here....

that being said, our issues are certainly not that of southern ontario either.

when someone uses the terms 'westerner' or 'easterner', we in winnipeg generally think they are talking about someone else in both cases.

Taller Better
Jan 20, 2007, 6:05 AM
It also keeps the communists contained in a well-manageable spot.

:haha:

vid
Jan 20, 2007, 6:16 AM
Truevikings post could also apply to Thunder Bay, a lot of people here don't consider NWO east or west, or even north or south, outside of our relation to the province itself. The whole sault-winnipeg transition area is a bit of an anomaly.

In a way, we're closer to the US Upper Midwest than any part of Canada.

spiritedenergy
Jan 20, 2007, 6:31 AM
when someone uses the terms 'westerner' or 'easterner', we in winnipeg generally think they are talking about someone else in both cases.

that's a good point. However, Winnipeg to me looks very similar to Toronto, only smaller, while Toronto and Montreal are very different. So, i'd say Winnipeg is east, the small section called prairie is west, but the most of Manitoba is north: Manitoba is as cold as Northern Quebec and Nunavut, it's mostly covered by canadian shield and tundra, the native population is on the rise and the native culture (good or bad) is almost dominant, the population is very, even too much cosmopolitan, with the forseen development of Churchill port and many hydro dams i bet manitoba's future is also in the north. So for me Manitoba is definetely North.

m0nkyman
Jan 20, 2007, 7:12 AM
Anything south of the 49th Parallel is either Central or Eastern Canada (except southern Vancouver Island). North of it is either Northern Canada or Western. ;)

It only makes sense for the west/east boundary to be north/south.
:shrug:

Only The Lonely..
Jan 20, 2007, 7:16 AM
Certainly as you drive out to the Whiteshell you get the feeling that Manitoba probably has more in common with NW Ontario than anywhere else.

The only part of Manitoba that I find to be truly western is the area surrounding Brandon and the Carberry Hills. Maybe the southern Bible belt too.

Outside of that, I think Winnipeg probably has more in common with a place like Hamilton than it does any of the other western cities.

spiritedenergy
oh, well, i forgot to explain why Winnipeg and Toronto seem so similar to me: emptyness, sense of despair, the feeling of being in a 10k village even under the talles building, spawning of Tim Hortons and all those chains everywhere. Toronto was soooo disappointing.

m0nkyman
Truevikings post could also apply to Thunder Bay, a lot of people here don't consider NWO east or west, or even north or south, outside of our relation to the province itself. The whole sault-winnipeg transition area is a bit of an anomaly.

In a way, we're closer to the US Upper Midwest than any part of Canada.
Nope. You're Northerners. More like Yellowknife than Saskatooon. ;) Oddly enough, I'd say the same about Winnipeg.

spiritedenergy
Jan 20, 2007, 7:20 AM
Certainly as you drive out to the Whiteshell you get the feeling that Manitoba probably has more in common with NW Ontario than anywhere else.

The only part of Manitoba that I find to be truly western is the area surrounding Brandon and the Carberry Hills. Maybe the southern bible belt too.

Outside of that, I think Winnipeg probably has more in common with a place like Hamilton than it does any of the other western cities.

also keep in mind that a big part of rural areas around winnipeg is a bit "unconventional": Red River valley is mostly french, then there are mennonites and french all way to Ontario (Stainbach, St. Anne, La Broquerie), and Sandilands looks like Twin Peaks:D

but the way of life of rural manitobans look to me perfectly western, like in movies, so I still think prairie is west.

vid
Jan 20, 2007, 7:25 AM
Nope. You're Northerners. More like Yellowknife than Saskatooon. ;) Oddly enough, I'd say the same about Winnipeg.

Well you are wrong. :)

Thunder Bay's area has Mennonites too. They periodically write in to the news paper telling it to stop supporting gays so much. Ah, odd balls. This region is a magnet for them.

You DO know that Nolalu is full of communists and nudists, don't you? It also has a house made of straw.

Greco Roman
Jan 20, 2007, 7:26 AM

This logic could easily apply to Edmonton aswell.

m0nkyman
Jan 20, 2007, 7:32 AM
This logic could easily apply to Edmonton aswell.

Never said it didn't. :runaway:

Only The Lonely..
Jan 20, 2007, 7:35 AM
Well you are wrong. :)

Thunder Bay's area has Mennonites too. They periodically write in to the news paper telling it to stop supporting gays so much. Ah, odd balls. This region is a magnet for them.

Those dirty Menno's don't trust me either..I practically live in Heidelberg
..ahhmm I mean North Kildonan.

You DO know that Nolalu is full of communists and nudists, don't you? It also has a house made of straw.

I thought nudity ,dancing and laughing were all Verboten?

vid
Jan 20, 2007, 7:39 AM
Nolalu is left wing. The Mennonites are in Scoble.

And Scoble, let me tell you - depressing as fuck.

Greco Roman
Jan 20, 2007, 7:39 AM
Never said it didn't. :runaway:

I know; I was just commenting is all ;)