PDA

View Full Version : Why always "except residents of Quebec"?

WHY-T
Jan 13, 2007, 8:39 PM
I've seen this more than once and again, yesterday, when I was reading the rules for some contest/draw, one of the first rules was: "Open to canadian residents of Canada (except residents of Quebec)...". Then I go ostie...@%#@:hell:

I've always wondered why is this often the case? Is it because of the language barrier? some specific QC laws or regulation? I don't understand how come Quebec always seems to be shut out (or we're shutting ourselves out) of many country-wide subscriptions/promotions/events/etc...:shrug: Sometimes it just feels really alienated from the rest of the country.

Anyone has some answers to this?

Martin Mtl
Jan 13, 2007, 8:46 PM
Because the Quebec governement have made rules about contest and some companies don't want to bother following them.

malek
Jan 13, 2007, 9:56 PM
yep, our "contest regulations" are tighter and some companies just pass.

feepa
Jan 13, 2007, 10:11 PM
This might be where the term "Rest of Canada" Comes from. "The rest of canada can play, but we can't, because our government sucks"

Le1000
Jan 13, 2007, 10:20 PM
I always thought it was because Bill 101 requires that the rules have to be available in French.

1ajs
Jan 13, 2007, 10:53 PM
quebec is basicaly a country with in a country

graupner
Jan 13, 2007, 11:09 PM
Because to be legal in Quebec, contests have to follow very strict rules, which are in my own opinion, a good thing.

Most if not all of these contests are cheap data miners/collecters for companies. That's how they get your name, adress, phone number, and send you commercials trough mail every week-end. The admitted goal of having strict rules is to stop useless spamming.

Presswood
Jan 13, 2007, 11:24 PM
Because they would always win cuz we are too good.... :D

just kidding!

Martin Mtl
Jan 14, 2007, 2:18 AM
Feepa, so we have to go to Edmonton to have fun ? Who would have thought...

samne
Jan 14, 2007, 2:43 AM
I wish Quebec wasnt included in Lotto 649. Is it just me or does it seem like the same group of 10 factory workers from Chicoutimi keep winning the jackpot?

feepa
Jan 14, 2007, 5:46 AM
Feepa, so we have to go to Edmonton to have fun ? Who would have thought...

Martin, relax dude, it was a joke. Sarcasm. Lighten up, or light up (a doobie), one of the 2 for sure, if not both.

Edmonchuck
Jan 14, 2007, 6:05 AM
Most if not all of these contests are cheap data miners/collecters for companies. That's how they get your name, adress, phone number, and send you commercials trough mail every week-end. The admitted goal of having strict rules is to stop useless spamming.

Most folks don't realize this until their mailbox is flooded, their phone rings off the hook, and they are targeted by companies that they never heard of...

Kilgore Trout
Jan 14, 2007, 7:03 AM
as others have mentioned, it's because of much stricter contest regulations than in other provinces and not because of language laws. i mean, come on --- not everything in quebec can be blamed on bill 101!

if you look closely, you'll also notice that a number of american states, such as new york, are also excluded from contests for the same reason.

vid
Jan 14, 2007, 7:15 PM
This might be where the term "Rest of Canada" Comes from. "The rest of canada can play, but we can't, because our government sucks"

It comes from their sense of alienation, but nice try. :)

This is going to turn into a perennial isn't it?

WHY-T
Jan 14, 2007, 7:33 PM
Thanks for the responses! So this is because of stricter gov't rules...then in what way are our laws stricter? In the treatment of participant info? In the transparency of the contest program? Does it just bring significantly more paperwork and potential legal problems to the companies or is there more costs needed as well? Pardon my ignorance...but I'm just curious to find out once and for all.

I wish Quebec wasnt included in Lotto 649. Is it just me or does it seem like the same group of 10 factory workers from Chicoutimi keep winning the jackpot?
Isn't the Lotto 649 done by Lotto-Quebec? (or am I wrong again?) If so, then it wouldn't make sense to exclude Quebec. Though yes, I agree that it always seems to be some group of factory workers/call center workers/janitors that keeps getting the jackpot. :D

vid
Jan 14, 2007, 7:54 PM
Groups of people like Janitors or factory workers will take a lot of their money, pool it, and play as many numbers as they can. Their odds of winning increase that way.

Edmonchuck
Jan 15, 2007, 6:19 AM
This is going to turn into a perennial isn't it?

Oh probably...

habsfan
Jan 15, 2007, 4:04 PM

Funny, i was about to say the same thing about 6/49 winners in Ontario. It seems that the winners of every jackpot is from some small ontario town!:tup:

harls
Isn't the Lotto 649 done by Lotto-Quebec?

I'm pretty sure it's done out of Toronto.

habsfan
I'm pretty sure it's done out of Toronto.

the drawing is done in Toronto!

bigcanuck
Jan 15, 2007, 7:51 PM

Each regional lottery corp administers 6/49 across the participating regions - OLC, Quebec, WCLC out west, etc... But it's all the same jackpot that everyone has a chance at.

WHY-T
Jan 16, 2007, 5:41 AM
I didn't know about that. Thanks for pointing it out.

habsfan
Jan 16, 2007, 2:17 PM
I didn't know about that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hold on, according to Big Canuck, i might be wrong!

vid
Jan 17, 2007, 12:39 AM
The Lotto 6/49 game is administered by the Interprovincial Lottery Corporation, an alliance of the five regional and provincial lottery corporations that cover all of Canada. Each of these corporations operate two regional add-on games that, for an extra $1 each, can be added to a 6/49 ticket. One of them is a "spiel" game (named "Tag", "Encore" or "Extra" depending on region), which adds a 6- or 7-digit digit number to the ticket with a top prize of $100,000 if all six digits are matched or $1,000,000 if all 7 are matched. The other is the "49" game (named "Atlantic 49", "Quebec 49", "Ontario 49", "Western 649" or "BC 49" depending on the region), which works in analogous fashion to the Lotto 6/49 but with a fixed jackpot of $1,000,000 ($2,000,000 in BC 49). In some regions, one line costs 50 cents; while in others, the "49" game is sold two lines at a time at a cost of $1.

According to a quick Google search, Lotto 6/49 and Super 7 are drawn in the CTV Studios in Scarborough.

WHY-T
Jan 18, 2007, 5:37 AM
According to a quick Google search, Lotto 6/49 and Super 7 are drawn in the CTV Studios in Scarborough.
Interesting info. Of all things that have cross-country operations and general national interests, the 649 is one of them.:tup:

I never realised that it was not a "Quebec invention" as back in time i remember seeing that lady in a wheelchair doing the draw in both languages. I had always thought it was shot in some local studio in Montreal.

Only The Lonely..
Jan 18, 2007, 5:51 AM
It's because Ed McMahon hates Quebec.

vid
Jan 18, 2007, 10:50 PM
Interesting info. Of all things that have cross-country operations and general national interests, the 649 is one of them.:tup:

I never realised that it was not a "Quebec invention" as back in time i remember seeing that lady in a wheelchair doing the draw in both languages. I had always thought it was shot in some local studio in Montreal.

People outside of Montreal can speak French, too. :)