PDA

View Full Version : Economic Growth 2008

caltrane74
Jan 11, 2007, 4:22 PM
OMG - This story must be impossible - How Can Toronto beat Calgary at Ecomonic Growth? How can people be a more valuable resource than "oil"? No way I'm not buying it.

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/169927

Toronto's growth to beat Calgary in 2008: Report
Email story

Immigration patterns favour Ontario city

January 11, 2007
Tara Perkins
business reporter

Greater Toronto's economic growth should surpass Calgary's in 2008, largely thanks to immigrants, says the Conference Board of Canada.

"In terms of economic growth, I think you guys will beat them by 2008," Mario Lefebvre, director of the Conference Board's metropolitan outlook service, said in an interview.

The main factor for that conclusion is population, he said.

Population growth in the Toronto census metropolitan area has been averaging a strong 2 per cent per year, mostly because of international migration, he said. "When you have 2 per cent population growth to start, you are never going to be in trouble for too too long."

International migration to Calgary has remained modest, he said, and the huge rise in home prices is expected to dampen the number of Canadians who move there. "Calgary's attraction power is declining."

In recent years, the strong Canadian dollar has hurt Toronto's manufacturing, tourism and transportation industries, the board said in its Winter 2007 Outlook.

Toronto's economy grew by an average of 2.9 per cent per year between 2003 and 2005, well short of its potential. Last year, growth dipped to "a disappointing" 2.3 per cent.

About 36,000 manufacturing jobs were cut in Toronto in 2006, as output contracted by about 1.2 per cent.

"Transportation, storage and communications output increased by a modest 2 per cent in 2006," the report said. "At the same time, output in the commercial services sector, which includes tourist-oriented industries such as accommodation and food, eked out 1.4 per cent growth."

Toronto's economy is expected to grow by 2.9 per cent this year, as things get a bit better.

Manufacturing should get a boost, thanks partly to Ford's Oakville assembly complex, which has begun making the Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX, and Bombardier's production of the Q-Series turboprops at its Downsview plant.

While manufacturing output is forecast to increase, the sector is not expected to stop shedding jobs until 2008. "The transportation and tourism industries are expected to enjoy somewhat better days in 2007, thanks to increases in the number of domestic and overseas travellers, which will help offset continued declines in the number of U.S. tourists," the report added.

The modest economic pickup in 2007 should mean more jobs for Torontonians. Job growth is expected to accelerate slightly from 1.3 per cent last year to 1.6 per cent this year. "Fortunately, better economic growth results are in the cards over the medium term," the report added.

Employment and housing starts remain relatively strong in Toronto, and that bodes well for consumer spending, Lefebvre said. "If people are buying homes it's usually not because they're depressed. That's when they buy boxes of chocolates."

The housing sector is gliding toward a soft landing following the boom from the late 1990s to 2003. New home building is expected to remain fairly steady, at about 39,000 starts, after dropping to 38,100 last year.

The Conference Board expects Toronto's economic growth to grow by about 4 per cent on average between 2008 and 2011.

IntotheWest
Jan 11, 2007, 4:29 PM
...and the huge rise in home prices is expected to dampen the number of Canadians who move there. "Calgary's attraction power is declining."

Ummm...but it's still cheaper than Toronto. I don't think it's "attraction power" is going to wane that much.

But, there's also no doubt Toronto will always be a consistenly strong market to attract people to - especially international...it has a lot to offer. I do think that as Calgary becomes larger, it will start to have a more consistent growth pattern in a similar way.

caltrane74
Jan 11, 2007, 4:32 PM
Well its still basically a 2 year prediction. - But I'm seriously considering moving to Calgary to see whats going on. However only if the price is right.

Doug
Jan 11, 2007, 5:24 PM
Makes sense. After a slowdown, economic growth is usually high in the first year or two of recovery. Calgary's boom is very long in the tooth - started in 1996.

Rusty van Reddick
Jan 11, 2007, 5:42 PM
Calgary's record of attracting international immigrants is only "modest" when compared to Toronto and Vancouver- we received more than 11,000 immigrants (and of course tens of thousands more internal migrants, but bear in mind that many of those were immigrants to places like Toronto initially)- this makes Calgary the third largest immigration magnet, per capita, in Canada and one of only four cities in Canada that takes in a share of immigrants that is greater than its total population share (the others are Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal, in 2005 and 2006).

Doug
Jan 11, 2007, 6:00 PM
I still don't buy the argument that immigration drives economic growth rather than the other way around. Places like Vancouver attract wealthy immigrants who come for the lifestyle as opposed to economic opportunities, but that is exceptional.

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Jan 11, 2007, 6:52 PM
I find it funny how the star never gives refferences. Also the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation said to expect a slow down in the market this year.

LordMandeep
Jan 11, 2007, 8:36 PM
Toronto has been growing quite nicely ever since SARS, if it weren't for Sars we likely be growing much stronger...

It could, Ontario's econmey did poorly last year and it expected to do so this year and then pick up again in 2008. Still the economey is more then good enough to create more then enough growth and devlopment in the Toronto area.

Some one in the media has realized that not only Calgary is growing...

Anyways the area has grown a lot between 2001 till now and still is and it will contine to do so. Steady as it goes here...

Pavlov
Jan 11, 2007, 9:02 PM
Calgary and Toronto are both growing! Hurray! Let's bitch about it!

caltrane74
Jan 11, 2007, 9:20 PM
Nobody's bitchin'

Pavlov
Jan 11, 2007, 10:37 PM
Some one in the media has realized that not only Calgary is growing...

..sounds suspiciously close to bitching, but you're right, so far so good. Anyway, as goes Toronto, so goes the rest of Canada (more or less), so this should be good news for all of us.

SteelTown
Jan 11, 2007, 11:02 PM
Toronto has been growing quite nicely ever since SARS, if it weren't for Sars we likely be growing much stronger...

I don't think SARS had much to do with the economy other than tourism.

What hurt Ontario's economy is the weakeness in the manufacturing and transportation industries. Over 11,000 manufacturing jobs have disappeared in Hamilton alone in 2006 source: http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=hamilton/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1167259812059&call_pageid=1020420665036&col=1112101662835

Strong Canadian dollar and weaken U.S. demand did the damage in the manufacturing sector.

Higher auto insurance and higher gas price did the damage in the transportation sector.

SteelTown
Jan 11, 2007, 11:11 PM
Now that being said 2007 will be a good year for the manufacturing sector since manufacturing companies have finished adjusting to the higher Canadian dollar (resulted in cuts of certain production therefore job cuts), as a result there is no direction but up to go in 2007.

Should be better for the transportation sector since gas prices are going down and in the US the interest rate is going down as well. The zero percent financing of new cars should be back.

feepa
Jan 11, 2007, 11:19 PM
Oh look, another article thats posted that says nothing. This time, its actually not about Alberta, and look, the eastern forumers aren't complaining for some reason...

malek
Jan 12, 2007, 12:36 AM
we're just ignoring ;)

DrJoe
Jan 12, 2007, 1:30 AM
Oh look, another article thats posted that says nothing. This time, its actually not about Alberta, and look, the eastern forumers aren't complaining for some reason...

It's the rate of Albertan articles that gets nauseating. If we see a basic replica of this article posted 5 times over it will be equally annoying.

LordMandeep
Jan 12, 2007, 2:11 AM
come on we are little happy to see something different for once...

If they put a dozen of these articles then it becomes stupid then.

caltrane74
Jan 12, 2007, 4:11 AM
I love the fact that population growth does play a factor in a healthy economy. Which by any measure is good news for Alberta and Ontario.

WhipperSnapper
Jan 12, 2007, 5:39 AM
not another article on ones economic forecast :rolleyes:

and again ... Thunder Bay is ignored

correct me if I'm wrong - but this is skyscraperpage.com, right?

archiwei
Jan 12, 2007, 10:36 AM
population is everything

Built many houses, none is mine.
www.archiz.com (http://www.archiz.com)

ReginaGuy
Jan 12, 2007, 7:06 PM

Because at least this one is different for once. People don't hate the Alberta articles because they "say nothing", we hate them because its the same fucking article re-printed and re-posted over and over again

If I see another article about Alberta having lots of money I'll go insane :ahhh:

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA
Jan 12, 2007, 7:40 PM

I complained kind of.

Xelebes
Jan 14, 2007, 12:43 AM
It's the rate of Albertan articles that gets nauseating. If we see a basic replica of this article posted 5 times over it will be equally annoying.

Gotta agree with you on that one. :)