HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

InterContinental Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 5, 2005, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Are they planning to gut the first floor of the old Medinah building?
I hope not and I doubt they'll replace it 100%.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2005, 4:35 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

That does look like Lower Manhattan. It would be cool to see a rendering like this one ^ but with the actual layout of the city, and all the new buildings in it.

Something like this:

Old Posted Nov 5, 2005, 7:22 PM

^It's unlike the works Lagrange has done before. Not his usual neo-art déco style.
I'm surprised - in a good way.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2005, 8:38 PM

^I think Lagrange is really typically neo-beaux-arts, rather that art deco. Otherwise, agreed.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2005, 10:36 AM

The proposed 850-foot tower would be almost twice the height of the historic south tower, which was built in 1929 as the Medinah Athletic Club and is known for its blend of design features inspired by sources that range from ancient Egypt to the Italian Renaissance.

I'm glad that the addition won't mimic the south tower. I've never been fond of it.
Hopefully, the new tower will catch most of the attention.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2005, 8:34 PM

looks like a nice tower. but i hate how that "park" will create even more of a covered lower level (no matter how small). wish they would just create a nice open staircase and stop creating even more of a basement effect. the nbc tower extended the basement all the way over to columbus. bleck.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2005, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randella
looks like a nice tower. but i hate how that "park" will create even more of a covered lower level (no matter how small). wish they would just create a nice open staircase and stop creating even more of a basement effect. the nbc tower extended the basement all the way over to columbus. bleck.
I agree. Chicago suffers from enough shadows and darkness. Let's not add anymore.

Oh, I recently read that Chicago is perhaps the darkest city in the nation. It geographical position relative to the time zones and the days of overcast gave it that dubious recognition.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2005, 10:02 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70
Quote:
I agree. Chicago suffers from enough shadows and darkness. Let's not add anymore.

Oh, I recently read that Chicago is perhaps the darkest city in the nation. It geographical position relative to the time zones and the days of overcast gave it that dubious recognition.
Even darker than NY? I would find that hard to believe...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2005, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70
Quote:

Even darker than NY? I would find that hard to believe...
Yeah. For one, the weather is worse. Second, the city of Chicago sits at the right-hand margin of the CST. That is why it can be nearly pitch dark at 4:30 pm in mid-December. Think about it, just across the border 100 miles south in IN, it is an hour later but has the same amount of sun. According to the article, you want to sit in the left-hand margin of a given time zone band.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2005, 12:17 AM

^ I wish they'd just move Chicago to the Eastern Time Zone. There's nothing to the west of us except Northern Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska anyway. Then we could be in the same time zone as the East Coast for TV schedule and business travel purposes, and get an extra hour of daylight in the evenings...
"Architecture is the art of balancing values: economic, aesthetic, public, private. It always involves compromise, and few architects would deny that the client's desires take precedence. But the best architects understand that they also have an obligation to the public welfare, no matter who is paying their bills. That often means investing time in educating clients rather than simply acceding to their desires."

- Nicolai Ouroussoff, New York Times

Old Posted Nov 8, 2005, 12:36 AM
THAT Guy

Don't want to be gobbled up by NYC again...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2005, 1:33 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy
Here's a better image of the base (would be larger but file size constraints):

Convert it to a jpeg. The png format isn't good for showing photos or renderings or anything with lots of different colors.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2005, 4:18 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

What a nice looking tower. Chicago is just friggin amazing.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2006, 9:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

well, people seemed in a mood to bump all the chicago highrise threads to page 1 today, so i figured i'd grab the last one

Old Posted Jan 31, 2006, 5:24 AM
"The World is my Oyster"

^ Totally agree Steely! I think we should all do it on regular basis so we keep all our Chicago threads alive.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2006, 12:38 PM
JACKinBeantown

I'll also join in to bump this thread to the top for no particular reason and with no particular news.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2006, 2:15 PM

A similar construction dilema is occuring in NYC right now with the Drake Swisshotel. Developers want to tear down an ugly 1960s addition and contruct a tower on that parcel of the property. The controversey in NYC is whether or not the developers will keep the 1920s Park Av. hotel or simply demo the whole lot. I hope they follow suit with the Chicago approach. The Drake in NYC is a terrific building, but definitely not at the same level as the original Intercontinental here.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2006, 6:18 PM

I received this high resolution rendering yesterday.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2006, 6:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ oh hells yeah!

this project now officially rules.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2006, 6:50 PM

That is double-delicious! That project is so sweet. Its like the Legacy's thicker cousin (with less width).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive