HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 6:25 PM
What could go wrong?

How many days do we actually get where it uncomfortably cold below -15? 20 or so.

Anything -15 and up with sunshine is beautiful in winter.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 7:35 PM

Red River Notre Dame campus is completely connected with indoor walkways. Like Kildonaner mentioned, they probably want it for the same reasons. Ease of access for maintenance, etc, etc, between buildings. Maybe they just put a service corridor underground and let everyone else use the street? Seems expensive though.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I'm torn on the idea personally. The utilitarian in me wants the walkway to allow me to be able to access all of downtown in heated or cooled comfort. However, having seen some pretty cold parts of Europe in the winter, and seeing that they give zero shits and still have vibrant streets on the worst of days makes me want us to eschew the heated convenience of the indoor and have our own vibrant streets in winter. Because honestly, when it's -25, there are few things better than having a hot glass of mulled wine outdoors. Granted you wouldn't want to spend that much time outside, there are ways to do it.

The encouraging thing is to see us slowly embrace the reality of our climate and simply enjoy the outdoors no matter the weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
How many days do we actually get where it uncomfortably cold below -15? 20 or so.

Exactly. And RRC already has 2 other buildings nearby (Massey and Paterson) not connected. This one will be even closer, and you'll cross a narrow, fairly wind-protected street. Crossing at Princess/William to Massey or Paterson is much windier and colder.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 11:29 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

200 days per year the temperature is above zero.
250 days per year it is above -5.

I get why they want the skywalk but it sure ruins that building.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 1:51 AM

an underground corridor for maintenance workers/shuttling things back and forth via cart would be a better option, I would think. If safety is an issue, well you're not helping the case by removing people from the street. At some point they need to go outside and it's a hell of a lot better if there's dozen/hundreds of people out in the area.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:17 PM
BANNED

^ they're following the same development model that most of dt follows... drive to where you're going, park inside, stay inside, get back into your car, leave.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
^ they're following the same development model that most of dt follows... drive to where you're going, park inside, stay inside, get back into your car, leave.
Except there's no indoor/connected parkade or transit here, so it's even more ridiculous.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Agreed – there's no place for a skywalk in the Exchange, especially between heritage buildings. Either underground or nothing.

I believe there was some language in the Marketlands planning docs about making use of and even improving on the underground connections in the Exchange. Make them more accessible to the public and brighten them up a bit. All the sidewalk art and branding for this Marketlands project was taken from the existing art designs in the underground system stemming from City Hall.
Agreed, the overhead walkway is a travesty for an historic district. Has this all been approved by the city?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Agreed, the overhead walkway is a travesty for an historic district. Has this all been approved by the city?
Part of what I like about an underground passage is that it wouldn't mar the streetscape like an overhead walkway. And the fact that underground walkways are inherently less pleasant than walking outside or even above-ground where you typically have big windows and bright spaces means that its use will be mostly restricted to the coldest or rainiest days. So really, RRC can't lose with an underground walkway

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:27 PM

agreed, it's going to ruin that streetscape, which I would have thought would be a factor for the city in approving it in a national historic site.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:39 PM
What could go wrong?

My two cents...

I have to say that the walkway really doesn't bother me. If it was in the heart of the exchange with heritage buildings all around then I could agree. There is really nothing around this and it is going from an ultra modern looking building to a faux heritage building. There is absolutely nothing west down the street but some houses a few hundred yards away. I feel that there is no real exchange streetscape to ruin here. If it helps RRC build connectivity between their buildings then so be it. I wouldn't approve somewhere like King & McDermot.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:57 PM

^ Agreed. Context is key.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:00 PM
BANNED

I think it's fine; agree with Mr. Biff.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:55 PM
Ignore these four words.

The skywalk is fine. I agree with Biff as well.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 5:14 PM

Sorry to break up the love-in, but I have to disagree. It is within the boundaries of a national historic site, and there is such a thing as a slippery slope when comes to a district like this slowly getting chipped away. The tunnel would be a great idea. But apart from that, sometimes people actually move between buildings without the benefit of a tunnel or an overhead walkway. They open the door of the building they are in and walk outside to the other building they are going to. They they open the door and go in. Plastering walkways everywhere is such a Winnipeg thing. We don't need new ones.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Sorry to break up the love-in, but I have to disagree. It is within the boundaries of a national historic site, and there is such a thing as a slippery slope when comes to a district like this slowly getting chipped away. The tunnel would be a great idea. But apart from that, sometimes people actually move between buildings without the benefit of a tunnel or an overhead walkway. They open the door of the building they are in and walk outside to the other building they are going to. They they open the door and go in. Plastering walkways everywhere is such a Winnipeg thing. We don't need new ones.
I'm on your side. If this was truly the edge of the heritage district, maybe you could argue for it. However, the entire east facade of the Roblin Centre (RRC) is historic, along with the east half of the north facade (full intact building facade). Plus, there's historic buildings for numerous blocks to the north, and even a block deep to the west – and those areas are starting to see development pick up.

Sure, the Marketlands will likely result in all new buildings – but even then, they will likely reflect the scale of the area, and the park/plaza area may even open up to Elgin there. I just don't see a case for it being allowed. If it's that important – build it underground.

Maintenance and tech staff that service all existing buildings don't seem to be up in arms about having to cross the street now. And even more, this building is a specific department – there's a good chance students and teachers may not even have classes in both buildings.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:17 PM

I don't think the walkway is that bad but I can't support it simply because it seems so unnecessary. It's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Like just walk across the damn street. What is it about Winnipeg that we can't fathom the idea that people would just walk across a street at ground level?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:23 PM

Consider me slightly pro-walkway.

I appreciate but do not romanticize heritage, and don't find it an offense to have something modern connected to something ageless.

When the weather is suitable, nobody will use it. Connectivity is key for any development, and we don't have the critical mass to thumb our noses at a practical, if un-sexy tool.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
I don't think the walkway is that bad but I can't support it simply because it seems so unnecessary. It's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Like just walk across the damn street. What is it about Winnipeg that we can't fathom the idea that people would just walk across a street at ground level?
Exactly. Aside from the original campus, U of W has buildings scattered all over the West End that aren't connected (and much further apart than these two) and you don't hear people complaining about it there. How hard is it to put your jacket on – most people would have it with them anyway.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:23 PM

And get some fresh air ...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan