HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 2:54 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 31, 2020 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 3:08 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

They did a great job , wow

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 1:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Fitting that this opens on January 1, as we look forward to the new year, and new beginnings for the city after a rough year for everyone...

Video Link

Video Link

The photos of the empty station look like a city frozen in time. It will be interesting to see the station begin to come to life. The station and the rest of the building still has more work to go, but the train hall will be in use for the public.

Governor Andrew Cuomo

Additional good news is that this will now free up the old AMtrak waiting area at Penn...

https://www.loc.gov/resource/vrg.13850/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 5:51 PM
New Yorker for life

JANUARY 1, 2021

They’re further along inside than I previously thought. I love public spaces and mass transit, so it’s exciting to see this entry into cityscape open up. No doubt it will be seen many times, whether you are in New York or not. I had already become accustomed to using the Moynihan exits, so the new hall opening up is like some great magic trick, as if it appeared out of thin air.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 7:49 PM

The skyscraper sculpture ceiling is cool but would it have hurt them to use the real skyline? I guess they'd have to add to it as time goes by in that case. No chance lmao.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 1:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
The skyscraper sculpture ceiling is cool but would it have hurt them to use the real skyline? I guess they'd have to add to it as time goes by in that case. No chance lmao.

I'm sure the artists has some meaning behind it. But to be honest, the NY skyline changes so much, it's probably better not to try it.

Anyway, I'm already in love with this building, and tried to familiarize myself a little with the layout. Only the Moynihan Hall portion of the building is open. And the restaurants, stores, and food hall aren't open yet either. The building will become much more lively when that happens, and when Facebook moves in. But it's already a beautiful site. Didn't get to see all of it just yet, and didn't get over to the east end to see what's going on there. But I'm excited to finally see this thing open.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 2:14 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

it looks like the only people in there were the ones taking cell phone pics lol.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 3:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
it looks like the only people in there were the ones taking cell phone pics lol.
It seems that everyone who went in were taking pics (everyone has a cell phone these days, so). But most people don't even know it's open. Penn Station is still way below typical crowding (the ongoing pandemic thinned the crowds). But when people start returning to work from the holidays on Monday, there will be a big surprise. The people who had become accustomed to exiting through Moynihan had no idea that we were basically on the main hall floor.

One thing I don't think people realize is that even if the original building (Penn Station) were still standing, the expansion of Penn would be badly needed. It just wasn't built to handle the volumes that use the station today. So Moynihan Hall could easily become crowded with Amtrak passengers alone. But it takes some of the pressure off of existing concourses when the backup returns, and it will.

A few more from Michael Lee

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 2, 2021 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 6:29 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
its beautiful, and obviously a serious improvement, but something about it just seems childish, particularly in comparison to those photos of Old Penn

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 7:01 PM

Especially when compared to early proposals.

Intelligencer

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 4:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
its beautiful, and obviously a serious improvement, but something about it just seems childish, particularly in comparison to those photos of Old Penn
Well the old Penn, the building itself, was of and for a different time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Especially when compared to early proposals.

Intelligencer

When you understand the way Penn Station operates, and the function of Moynihan, what's built today is more than enough. I don't see how having even higher glass ceilings makes the station more functional. Pretty to look at, but it's pretty to look at now. And more importantly, it's built. We can sit back, and debate for another 20 or 30 years what should be built, and what it should look like. But at some point, you've got to build what you can, and that's what the governor did, and that's why you see a lot of things moving and getting built now after decades of nothing happening. Like Moses said, the critics never build anything. And the building is beautiful.

Anyway, the place is busier, there's a buzz around, like everyone is excited for the place. Or maybe everyone's just been locked inside for too long. People were even stopping to check out the renderings of coming stores and restaurants. Even at the east end, with the new 7th Avenue entrance, there was a buzz. Something for the people to get excited about in these times.

I took a few clips, and more pics on Day 2 of the opening...

Video Link

You can already see the station filling out more...

Made it over to the 33rd Street entrance today, and I hadn't realized before the difference in grade between 33rd and 31st Street. So the mid-block passage, which you have to go up a level to reach from the 31st Street side, is at street level on the 33rd Street side. This is where you will get into more retail, and make your way to the food hall, and 9th Avenue.

Meanwhile, over on the east end, the new 7th Avenue entrance to Penn is open, generating it's own buzz...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 7:52 AM
New Yorker for life

Shifting back over to the potential skyscrapers, the Final Scope of Work for the preparation of the EIS came out a couple of weeks ago. It was updated with suggestions from the community, which among other things wanted an idea of how tall the towers could be. So we get a simulation of building heights, not the actual final heights of towers that have yet to be designed. Again, these are not the final heights, but they do help to give an indication of the scale. The towers will more than likely be taller than what is given here, and even so, at least 5 of them will be above 1,000 ft. We kinda knew that already, but for the average person, it helps to see it.

Also, another change is site 2, which has two towers. The taller tower has shifted from 7th Avenue to 8th Avenue.

What they give in the document compared to how it should look unskewed...

More accurate...

At least 5 supertalls in the development...

Site 1: 748 ft

Site 2: 1,040 ft

Site 2: 1,300 ft

Site 3: 936 ft

Site 4: 664 ft

Site 5: 1,018 ft

Site 6: 1,130 ft

Site 7: 1,270 ft

Site 8: 975 ft

I'm sure I'll have to repeat this often, but those are NOT actual heights of designed buildings. Just an indication of scale.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 1:22 PM

Hi NYguy - Happy New Year to you

Yes ... I figured the towers described here had those heights. Dimensions only indicative, but it would be interesting to see these towers in 3D and inserted in the wider skyline of New York.

Who knows if rgarri4 wanted to do the 3D of these towers?

It would also be interesting to see Gotham Gateway Spire Tower - SHoP architects inserted (always together with those towers) in place of tower 3.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 4:47 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Shifting back over to the potential skyscrapers, the Final Scope of Work for the preparation of the EIS came out a couple of weeks ago. It was updated with suggestions from the community, which among other things wanted an idea of how tall the towers could be. So we get a simulation of building heights, not the actual final heights of towers that have yet to be designed. Again, these are not the final heights, but they do help to give an indication of the scale. The towers will more than likely be taller than what is given here, and even so, at least 5 of them will be above 1,000 ft.
While as you stated they're not at all the final heights I sure hope some (or at least one) end up well taller than that. This seems like an opportunity to build NY's first megatall, and even if not at least the new highest roof in the city. 12-1300' would be a disappointing tallest for this development and exacerbate midtown's new plateau.

Something that would rival Grand Hyatt would be nice.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 5:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hopefully the retail rents are fair in pricing. I hope Midtown recovers retail wise. Its been hurting badly the last 12 months.

We might see below-market rates for retail to attract retailers. Not just within these blocks, but throughout the city.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 6:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
Hi NYguy - Happy New Year to you

Yes ... I figured the towers described here had those heights. Dimensions only indicative, but it would be interesting to see these towers in 3D and inserted in the wider skyline of New York.

Who knows if rgarri4 wanted to do the 3D of these towers?

It would also be interesting to see Gotham Gateway Spire Tower - SHoP architects inserted (always together with those towers) in place of tower 3.
Happy New Year. Yeah, those heights are meant to be illustrative of scale. They have a basic standard of measurement to determine those things. But as we know, what actually gets built is always higher. I say you can throw in an extra couple of hundred feet to those numbers, not even accounting for spires or crowns. Things just aren't built the way they used to be. All of the new supertalls are taller than they would have been using old standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
While as you stated they're not at all the final heights I sure hope some (or at least one) end up well taller than that. This seems like an opportunity to build NY's first megatall, and even if not at least the new highest roof in the city. 12-1300' would be a disappointing tallest for this development and exacerbate midtown's new plateau.

Something that would rival Grand Hyatt would be nice.

Well, you have to consider what's getting built. No one's building megatall office towers. But mixed-use would be another thing. Currently there's hotel programming being considered on two sites. But on site one, there's the option to go all office. That could give the developer the option to include the hotel space there, above the office space, similar to the grand hyatt. Also, keep in mind that this development overrides all city zoning on the sites, so there is a little more design flexibility. Plus, there's the added bonus of the NIMBYs no being able to "downsize" it. I'm sure there will be lawsuits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Hopefully the retail rents are fair in pricing. I hope Midtown recovers retail wise. Its been hurting badly the last 12 months.

We might see below-market rates for retail to attract retailers. Not just within these blocks, but throughout the city.
I don't think we'll get any retail on those sites for years to come, plenty of time for recovery.

So, what we have here is the follow up to the Hudson Yards and Midtown East rezonings, a new Terminal City for Penn Station. The Empire City.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 9:09 PM

I am so disappointed , new York city will never ever get a megatall , i was thinking that peen station will be home of first new York city megatall, i am outraged .
Even in 2030 nyc will never see a +2000ft height building

Last edited by faridnyc; Jan 3, 2021 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 10:10 PM
Show me the blueprints

For real man??... Get some perspective and lighten up.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 11:26 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
For real man??... Get some perspective and lighten up.
I would just ignore him, he clearly didn't read the part about the heights not being final. Maybe English is his second language.

2000+ certainly seems like a stretch here unless hotel components go on top of an office tower (as NYguy mentioned) and major crownage + a spire happen. In any case a signature tower would be great, even if not 2k feet.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
I am so disappointed , new York city will never ever get a megatall , i was thinking that peen station will be home of first new York city megatall, i am outraged .
Even in 2030 nyc will never see a +2000ft height building
Take it easy ... things can also change. An example. This was the proposal for the Midtown East rezoning plan ...

And now we'll have this... and this is not quite over yet.

So ... imagine what you might have on the sites of the Empire Station District.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals