HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 3:31 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

What is the LaVerendrye Trail? Yesterday I went to Grand Beach and the car dash computer says 12 59 Laverendrye Trail.

Since when? And Wikipedia pages don't call either hwy. that at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manitoba_Highway_12

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manitoba_Highway_59

And whatever happened to Manitoba Provincial Roads (PR) like those with 2xx? Were they converted or they just not show up on wiki?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 9:20 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
What is the LaVerendrye Trail? Yesterday I went to Grand Beach and the car dash computer says 12 59 Laverendrye Trail.
Actually it's been one name of it for decades. In fact, I guess they took the signs down or something but there used to be a few of them along 59 on Lagimodiere and then out of the city as well. Used to always make note of them. If anybody else remembers, it was the guy dressed up like a Voyageur (blue tunic or shirt and red Voyageur-esque belt/scarf thing. Leather pants. Can't remember what kind of hat he wore but in any case, definitely remember it.

Looking at Google images now, I guess the picture's been updated but it's still there.

Also, don't forget that Wikipedia has user generated information. If they don't know about it then it doesn't make it in.

Last edited by Spocket; Jul 6, 2019 at 12:54 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 12:20 PM

You mean one of these signs like the one by Dugald Rd?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88447...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 12:38 PM

I found one of the signs you are talking about. This one is on 204 south of 44 in Lockport

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.08366...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 12:50 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I found one of the signs you are talking about. This one is on 204 south of 44 in Lockport

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.08366...7i13312!8i6656
Yeah, that's it. Good find!
Seems my recollection in describing it isn't quite on the money but I guess I got the basic idea right. lol

Now that I think about it, however, maybe I made a link I shouldn't have. I've known about the LaVerendrye Trail since I was a kid and it's possible that I've always made an erroneous link between those signs on Lag and it. Does anybody know the actual route of the LaVeredrye Trail?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 1:43 PM

What Eastman Tourism calls the trail can be found on page 64 of their visitors guide

https://www.eastmantourism.ca/upload...ag%20small.pdf

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 4:07 PM

The older median signs on Lagimodiere between Fermor and Regent looked like they needed some touching up when I was there at Christmas.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 5:04 PM

They are like all the signs and banners that go up in Winnipeg. There is money for the original installation but nothing is ever budgeted to restore or replace them.

There are poles at the entry to the St. Boniface industrial park that at one time had a flag or banner attached to them but the attachments are long gone.

The Weston area had the same thing They had banners with a steam engine on it saying Weston. The banners rotted in the sun and were not replaced and and as part of a tender for road work a few years later the city had the the poles removed and "salvaged for future re-installation"

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 4:35 PM

After a few days in Regina I continued my motorcycle travels to Lake of the Prairies via Yorkton and Roblin.

TCH - Regina to Balgonie
Very good due to the work being done as part of the Regina Bypass project

SK Highway 10 - Balgonie to Fort Qu'Appelle
This section was resurfaced a few years ago and is still in good condition. The addition of passing lanes every few kilometres has greatly helped to ease the congestion and people putting themselves at risk to pass.

SK Highway 10 - Fort Qu'Appelle to 10km NE of Balcarres
Brand new surface. Easy riding galore!!

SK Highway 10 - 10km NE of Balcarres to Melville
Older surface, starting to deteriorate. Still okay for autos and trucks but you just have to be more vigilante when riding a motorcycle.

SK Highway 10 - Melville to Yorkton
New surface most of the way. Once again no complaints.

SK Highway 10/MB Highway 5 - Yorkton to Roblin MB
Both highways will need work as the surface is starting to deteriorate. Still just fine for cars and trucks, but there were a couple of times I had to slow down to take care of some surface breaks.

MB Highway 83 - Roblin to Prairie Lakes Lodge turnoff (10km south of Roblin).
see above. Needs works and it seems that it'll likely happen next year.

MB Highway 83 - Prairie Lakes Lodge turnoff to Russell MB
Brand new surface.

TCH Highway 16 - Russell to Birtle turnoff
Pretty new highway to new surface highway. Two thumbs up!

TCH Highway 16 - Birtle turnoff to Shoal Lake
Poor condition and needs to be worked on. There is a sandpit in the Birdtail river valley and a LOT of gravel trucks were coming and going out of that site. Meeting a gravel truck on a two lane highway is (two me) a very dangerous encounter. One flying stone will really ruin your day. I was very careful when meeting the 20 trucks I encountered on that section.

TCH Highway 16 - Shoal Lake to Highway 10.
Good condition and easy riding

TCH Highway 16/MB Highway 10 (North of Minnedosa to south of Minnedosa)
Poor condition and needs to be worked on. This section is one of the dumbest designs around. Divided to single to divided, turnoff on the south curve. Lots of accidents in this intersection. Needs a redesign, but once again no money available for that.

MB Highway 10 - South of Minnedosa to south of Boissivain
Very good condition and pleasure to drive.

Other notes, I was at the International Peace Gardens and met a couple from the Twin Cities. They were on their way to Calgary via the TCH and for some reason were going to take Highway 18. I told them to stay on Highway 10 because its quicker and the highway is 50 times better.

I also wished I had a go pro when I drove through the ND side of the Turtle Mountain region. Lots of curves and hills made for an enjoyable ride on a motorcycle.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:42 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-ne...pected-2071484

Repost from TCH thread in the Ontario subforum. 2 ONPC ministers (Caroline Mulroney and Greg Rickford) are due to meet leaders of local FN’s and announce twinning of TCH from MB/ON boundary to ON-673.

Bref I’ve posted 4K comments on SSP now.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:55 PM

Good news. Hopefully this will kick start Manitoba's efforts.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:56 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Good news. Hopefully this will kick start Manitoba's efforts.
Lol, when I first read 2 provincial ministers, I thought it was one from Ontario and the other from Manitoba... I mean, I thought Manitoba would be like, “Oh look, Ontario’s doing their part so we’re gonna finish the remainder of our portion too.”

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 7:05 PM

You're over estimating the Manitoba Government lol There are precisely zero dollars earmarked for any major projects right now.

Probably a long ways out. But any plans to twin the Kenora bypass? I presume they want to eventually twin the entirety of Hwy 17. Those rock cuts on the bypass are quite something.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:11 PM
the first stamp is free

Manitoba's remaining 2-lane part of the TransCanada is much shorter and has much "easier" terrain to contend with in comparison to the stretch from Kenora to MB.

I imagine we are several years away before MB feels any pressure to complete this section, but I would put money down that the highway on both sides of the border will be complete at the same time.

Manitoba has been upgrading the TCH between Winnipeg and Falcon lake over the last several years. I think, in preparation for an increase in the speed limit, and the eventual twinning of the highway.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:17 PM

^ Even by Manitoba's modest standards it wouldn't that epic of an undertaking, but I would imagine it is complicated somewhat by the sensitivity of the area.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 9:01 PM

It'll be 100's of millions with the grading, bridges and rock blasting. property purchases, environmental, etc. Probably not into the billions but several hundred million. It's approx. 17km in length. My quick look at Google would put it on the north side of the existing for most of the length.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 9:02 PM

^ Considering that the 59/101 interchange alone clocked in at close to $300 million, I can't say I'm surprised by that estimate.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 9:04 PM

I wonder if they'd keep the interchanges at Falcon and West hawk. Could see those being "value engineered" out.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 9:12 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
It'll be 100's of millions with the grading, bridges and rock blasting. property purchases, environmental, etc. Probably not into the billions but several hundred million. It's approx. 17km in length. My quick look at Google would put it on the north side of the existing for most of the length.
Highway 1 is a super 2 in that area without sufficient ROW so MIT shouldn’t have to acquire extra properties.
Quote:
I wonder if they'd keep the interchanges at Falcon and West hawk. Could see those being "value engineered" out.
I hope not......

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 9:14 PM
the first stamp is free

^ either which way, it will still be orders of magnitude less $$ than the Kenora to MB stretch. And that will take probably a decade to finish. Gives MB a lot of time to figure out where the money comes from.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan