HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:10 PM

Everyone should vote for Saskatoon as Canada's best travel destination in USA Today's poll.. you can vote every day until poll closes June 19th.

www.10best.com

http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/...tchewan/share/

..Saskatoon is currently sitting at number 2 for number of votes.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Everyone should vote for Saskatoon as Canada's best travel destination in USA Today's poll.. you can vote every day until poll closes June 19th.

www.10best.com

Just voted....apparently my vote boosted Saskatoon to #1!!!!

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 1:59 PM

Winnipeg is higher on the list than Banff, Victoria, and Tofino, which gives this list zero credibility. Regardless, I voted for Saskatoon.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy4Prez View Post
Winnipeg is higher on the list than Banff, Victoria, and Tofino, which gives this list zero credibility. Regardless, I voted for Saskatoon.
I can't stand these kind of polls. That being said, I voted for the place I view as Canada's best (listed) travel destination, Montreal!

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 11:02 PM

Spadina Cres Closure

City Council decided to close Spadina Cres from 11th St to the Gordie Howe Bridge for security reasons at the water plant. This means folks living along there won't be able to drive to the front of their houses. Many people like to drive this area as a scenic drive. People who live south west of the city use this road if they are going to work or shop downtown. The reason they used this is that it avoids all the congestion on Circle Drive. If there is a traffic problem on Valley Road, folks in the rural area would have to go to Highway 60 then onto highway 7 to get into the city. The same with emergency vehicles responding to calls along Valley Rd area.
To say its a safety issue for example terrorism is a bunch of crap. People planning an attack on the water plant aren't just going to drive there. There is access to the plant in many ways and to the new intake in the river as well. This closure doesn't make sense.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowest View Post
City Council decided to close Spadina Cres from 11th St to the Gordie Howe Bridge for security reasons at the water plant. This means folks living along there won't be able to drive to the front of their houses. Many people like to drive this area as a scenic drive. People who live south west of the city use this road if they are going to work or shop downtown. The reason they used this is that it avoids all the congestion on Circle Drive. If there is a traffic problem on Valley Road, folks in the rural area would have to go to Highway 60 then onto highway 7 to get into the city. The same with emergency vehicles responding to calls along Valley Rd area.
To say its a safety issue for example terrorism is a bunch of crap. People planning an attack on the water plant aren't just going to drive there. There is access to the plant in many ways and to the new intake in the river as well. This closure doesn't make sense.
They aren't closing the entirety of Spadina from the bridge to 11th, just the stretch from the bridge to where the Meewasin Trail ends at the access to Holiday Park (so you'd still be able to access it as far South as Schuyler for example). People will still be able to drive to the front of their houses on Spadina, just not from South of the city or from 11th/Ave H. The closed stretch will become part of the Meewasin Trail. The people that live along Spadina will probably welcome the change with there being little to no traffic now, but everyone around on Ave I/12th St will probably hate it (much like I assume they did when Ave H. was closed during construction/renovation of the water treatment plan previously).

According to the study they did in 2014 (which at that time likely had a lot of construction worker traffic with the QE plant upgrades) there were 600 cars per day during the summer along the stretch they're closing and 200 per day during the winter so it will affect some people for sure, but not a lot. It is unfortunate that it has to close though, but I imagine the 11th/Ave H closure will cause more people in the area a greater headache.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 3:59 PM

I'm torn on the decision. Yes, the traffic volumes are low on that stretch, but it does provide a nice back route into and out of the city. Generally I'm all for connectivity.

That said, that stretch of roadway doesn't have a separated trail past the Sanatorium site, so the closure will cede the roadway to the exclusive use of Meewasin trail users, which as a pedestrian and a cyclist sounds great.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 4:29 PM

Anyone remember driving by there as a kid on your way to leisure land in the sixties

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 4:57 PM

Was the 80's for me....Uni days!

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 1:44 AM

Leisureland

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Anyone remember driving by there as a kid on your way to leisure land in the sixties
Those were the good days. Only problem now is how do emergency vehicles get to the homes at Leisureland
quickly.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 1:32 PM

Ave W and 21st i think is closest firehall so i guess they would have to take valley road as all other direct roads have been cut off by new Gordie Howe bridge and circle drive

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 3:41 AM

Looks like someone is doing a soil test on the empty lot at the top of the University Bridge.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 3:18 PM

Man it would be so nice to see that prominent site developed.

The one at the top of the Broadway, too.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Man it would be so nice to see that prominent site developed.

The one at the top of the Broadway, too.
wasnt there a proposal of a low rise 12-storey tower few years back? maybe not proposal, but a "mention" of some sort.

i agree with you Echoes, love to see someone step up.

(imo) this lot and top of broadway have as much opportunity as parcel YY.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 9:19 PM

I had heard that because of sloping issues, the property at top of Uni Bridge is going to be very difficult to develop if underground parking is required. As well, pilings supposedly would have to go deeper then norm because of riverbank issues. Not confirmed, just mentioned to me.....

But would love to see something there...would be spectacular view of downtown, river, etc.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
wasnt there a proposal of a low rise 12-storey tower few years back? maybe not proposal, but a "mention" of some sort.

i agree with you Echoes, love to see someone step up.

(imo) this lot and top of broadway have as much opportunity as parcel YY.
I believe Kent Sutherland released a few sketches of a small tower he'd like to see at the Broadway site a few years ago. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 7:52 PM

Jim Pattison Children's Hospital

What an amazing donation of 50 million dollars by Jim Pattison to the new Children Hospital. He recently donated 75 million to a hospital in Vancouver.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 9:46 PM

I agree that is a going to really go far in helping kids in the province. Couldn't come at a better time.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 5:53 PM

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...y-office-tower
Builders prepare to alter Saskatoon skyline with Parcel Y office tower

This rendering shows revised plans for office towers that would be part of a major development on Parcel Y at River Landing in Saskatoon. The big proposed change would be the 22-storey office tower at Second Avenue South and 19th Street East. (Triovest Realty Advisors Inc.) March 23, 2016 Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
More from Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
The 13-storey, 185,000-square-foot tower would offer a riverfront location like no other in the city. Construction has already begun on the prime site of the hotel and condo tower.

Blair Sinclair, manager of the project for Triovest Reality Advisers Inc., said the consortium behind the development plans to submit permits next week to begin excavation on the east side of the site.

“Obviously, we’re building for the future and we believe there are clear signs that the Saskatchewan economy is improving,” Sinclair said in an interview.

He said the consortium has received enough lease commitments to proceed and the project has secured an “anchor tenant,” but would not identify the corporation. He also declined to disclose how many entities have committed to leases, saying only that there are “enough to build and go spend a bunch of money.”

If all goes according to schedule, the building will be ready for tenants to take possession by the summer of 2019, he said.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper

www.10best.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Just voted....apparently my vote boosted Saskatoon to #1!!!!
Saskatoon has dropped to 3rd place behind St. Andrews, New Brunswick..
only 3 more weeks to vote daily

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan