HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 11:11 PM

Saskatoon needs new bars sooo badly. It’s crazy how long it’s been since we got a new one.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 2:14 PM

Another location that always seems to struggle is the bar/club beside the Roastery on 8th. I believe it is currently operation as Stadium YXE...if it is still open?? I never see cars there. I would think a bar on 8th would do decent, but nothing seems to make a go of it there, either.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 2:16 PM

Glass is going in on the Prairie Sky pub on Broadway...looking good.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 1:30 AM

Ace Burger taking over the former Bliss space on Broadway:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw-dxw8HLiw/

Odla, Prairie Sun, Spice Trail, Ace Burger...
Escala, Highpoint, Baydo...

The buzz is on Broadway!

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 9:15 AM

I literally thought Bliss was a dance studio until I researched their closed location today haha. This is really awesome for that push to extend Broadway’s retail presence south!

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:27 PM

Is Ace a chain? Not familiar with it....
Personally, I think there can never be enough good burger places!

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:54 PM

Ace Burger was a food truck operated by Congress until a couple years ago. Best burger in town in my opinion.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Ace Burger was a food truck operated by Congress until a couple years ago. Best burger in town in my opinion.
Always debatable as to what's the best, but definitely a top contender. Very cool to see them move up from the food truck to a physical location!

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Glass is going in on the Prairie Sky pub on Broadway...looking good.
Pictures please!!

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
I noticed the Asian restaurant next to The Rook and Raven is no more and now has a fresh coat of white paint on the outside, along with a couple colourful paintings up top--anyone know what's going in there?
Looks like it's called "Yay! Thai". Not much info yet, but opened today.
https://yaythai.com/

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 12:23 AM

^ Looks like a bright and cheery spot. Look forward to checking it out.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 5:47 AM

^^Trying to compete with the Rook must be a nightmare in that spot, but Thai food might be a big enough draw. Maybe? What they've done with the space looks great, anyway. I'll give it a try soon!

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 9:24 AM

Tried Yay Thai last night. Overall it was nice! It's a bright, airy space, and everyone working there was very friendly. One thing struck me as odd/unexpected, though, for a vegetarian place -- almost all of their food items include some form of imitation meat. I just don't find imitation meat appetizing, and it was in everything except the dish I ordered, the only thing on the menu that I saw without "chick'n," "skrimp," etc. Maybe there's a niche market for people who love imitation meat, I don't know, but I wish there were more wholeheartedly vegetarian options that didn't simply try to mimic non-vegetarian fare. Just my two cents (and wow this is making me miss Nosh). I hope they're successful, but the menu could use a little tinkering. Oh, and they don't have wait-staff (it's kind of cafeteria style). That was a little inconvenient.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
Tried Yay Thai last night. Overall it was nice! It's a bright, airy space, and everyone working there was very friendly. One thing struck me as odd/unexpected, though, for a vegetarian place -- almost all of their food items include some form of imitation meat. I just don't find imitation meat appetizing, and it was in everything except the dish I ordered, the only thing on the menu that I saw without "chick'n," "skrimp," etc. Maybe there's a niche market for people who love imitation meat, I don't know, but I wish there were more wholeheartedly vegetarian options that didn't simply try to mimic non-vegetarian fare. Just my two cents (and wow this is making me miss Nosh). I hope they're successful, but the menu could use a little tinkering. Oh, and they don't have wait-staff (it's kind of cafeteria style). That was a little inconvenient.
That does sound a little weird. I find the whole imitation meat thing odd as a whole as well--when I was reading about the Beyond Meat IPO it was either in reference to them or another similar company putting beet juice in the patty to make it "bleed"...

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
Imitation meat analog consumption is up 22% in Canada, real meat is down 4% nationally. Imitation meat is the future - and something Saskatchewan should be more proud of as most of it is made from our Peas - whereas our province really doesn't grow much beef.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Imitation meat analog consumption is up 22% in Canada, real meat is down 4% nationally. Imitation meat is the future - and something Saskatchewan should be more proud of as most of it is made from our Peas - whereas our province really doesn't grow much beef.
Yep, I know. It's just weird (to me) that a vegetarian restaurant would have imitation meat in ALL its dishes. If I go to a vegetarian restaurant, I'm not interested in an inferior imitation of something I could get elsewhere. Striking a good balance between meat/imitation meat/vegetarian options might be something all restaurants have to do eventually (if they haven't already). All I'm saying is that, in my opinion, this restaurant hasn't done that very well.

On another note, The Woods is back open as the Black Birch Deli. Same ownership, I believe. I recall The Woods as having decent, but not great, food. I'm curious to try their offerings now!

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:54 PM

The Station Place on Idylwyld is closing and will re-open as an Old Spaghetti Factory.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The Station Place on Idylwyld is closing and will re-open as an Old Spaghetti Factory.
Always enjoyed that place. Wonder what reno's they will have planned for the Old Spaghetti Factory?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 6:27 PM

https://saskatooning.com/2019/05/31/...-cafe-culture/

Nice write up on some local coffee spots!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 8:50 PM

Signage advertising "La Cucina Ristorante" in Red Pepper's former spot on 3rd Ave (they're now 2 doors down). Looks like renovations are ongoing inside, but I wish they'd do something with that vile faux stone façade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan