HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 3:54 PM
JACKinBeantown

There's going to be an accident if people continue to drive on the wrong side of the road.

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/71/04/44/.../1200x1200.jpg

And what's that building on the right? Are the planning something across the river from El Tropicano?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 2:55 AM

This and the CPS Energy buildings are looking like lone outposts in this section of the core.

Hopefully, these will encourage more development in the area, so these don't look so lonely.

It does make quite the impression coming 37 from the south.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2019, 9:44 AM

I've long thought that rendering of that side made the building strangely resemble a few buildings in, believe it or not, Osaka, Japan. Particularly, the landmark Hilton Osaka Yoshimoto Building, which strikes a vaguely similar profile:

(Photo from Osaka Station Guide)

Back when it was built in 1986 it too had fewer lofty neighbors, though it probably didn't quite stand long in splendid isolation. Hopefully ours will fare similarly and gain some neighboring partners, as the Tobin Center definitely needs something to balance its new backdrop.

If we were looking for a way to someday have modern skyline buildings in San Antonio that stylishly differentiate themselves as a whole from those in Austin, Dallas, and Houston while also complementing our collection of preserved historic buildings with dramatically picturesque contrasts, then heavily over-engineered and pointedly hyper-modern buildings not unlike those plucked from a few Japanese cities is one way that certainly works for me. Umeda Sky Building would surely make a great gateway into the new Hemisfair, and we actually almost had something just as wild from Arquitectonica for the Horizon Hill Center proposed in 1982. Next we'll just have to get Texas Central to expand their planned N700 Shinkansen bullet trainset routes to cover the full Texas Triangle. Don't hold your breaths waiting for such though, as VIA + Nozomi Express is right now just inconceivable.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:15 AM
James

There was crane movement today. Looks like construction is back up!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
There was crane movement today. Looks like construction is back up!
Construction had stopped?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:36 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Construction had stopped?
Wasn't there something with the crane? Maybe I read the wrong thread. 😂

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 8:02 PM

Luxury hotel, condo project 80% presold; developer hints at more (slideshow)

By Ryan Salchert – Reporter,
San Antonio Business Journal

The Arts Residences at the Thompson San Antonio hotel, downtown's new high-end development, has hit two new milestones. Not only has the project topped off, or finished its vertical construction, but it has already presold 80% of its condos, a notable feat for a building that is almost a year from completion.

The Arts Residences at the Thompson hotel at 123 Lexington Ave. is a 20-story, 337,000-square-foot luxury tower that will house 162 hotel rooms, 59 condos and six penthouses. The hotel rooms will occupy the first 11 stories of the tower, while the condos will occupy the rest of the building. The top penthouse will have two floors and magnificent views of downtown, at a height of about 270 feet. If you've got $4 million sitting around, it could be yours.

Residents and hotel guests will be able to share the amenities that the $116 million tower will offer, including access to the River Walk, a short walk to downtown and the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts, a high-end restaurant, a 5,000-square-foot pool deck with pool bar on the fourth floor, a fitness center, a spa, valet parking, and 24-hour concierge and in-room dining service.

Construction began on the project in January 2018 and is expected to be completed by spring 2020. Designed by Houston-based Powers Brown Architecture, the project is being built by Jordan Foster Construction and has been developed by Houston-based DC Partners. The sale and marketing of the condos is being led by Karla Dupre, sales director for Kuper Sotheby's International Realty.

Condo presales for The Arts Residences started in May 2017, and at 80% presold, the sales team said the development has become the fastest-selling luxury condominium project in Texas. In October 2018, when the project was 65% presold, DC Partners President and CEO Roberto Contreras told the Business Journal he regretted not building more condos in the tower.

"It's easy to say now, but we just didn't know San Antonio would be so open to this type of project," he said at the time.

Nearly a year later, DC Partners Chief Operating Officer and Managing Director Acho Azuike said the company is exploring bringing more condos to San Antonio.

"We're interested in doing another project here, just condos this time, and we're doing our due diligence right now," Azuike said.

He suggested that the company is looking at downtown again, though he gave no further details.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 12:51 AM
Paradise

Well alright, sounds promising

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 9:30 PM

Looks. Like I posted these pictures from last week in the wrong forum.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/ujzmn1l6/

https://i.postimg.cc/DzjXBStL/6-DD42...BDEBA74232.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/DzjXBStL/6-DD42...BDEBA74232.jpg

Edit: I'm still getting use to this. Sorry.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 2:55 PM

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 5:49 PM

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 4:58 AM

The bottom hotel floors look so weird. Very odd windows.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 2:57 PM

This will be a great addition to the skyline. I didn't think it would have much of an impact on the skyline at first, but, it does. I say this because it is off to the side, but looks great from certain vantage points.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 4:14 AM

[IMG]Tobin Center by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 4:54 AM

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 8:54 PM

Love that last shot especially Raul, as you can see Credit Human, CPS, and the Soto as well. This tower has dramatically changed the area!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 9:47 PM

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 5:53 PM

So...the building isn't going to be yellow, right? From the photos above, it looks like they're putting some type of blue sheathing over the yellow area..I'm just confused as to why they would paint the facade yellow just to cover it up with some sheathing.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 7:41 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG91 View Post
So...the building isn't going to be yellow, right? From the photos above, it looks like they're putting some type of blue sheathing over the yellow area..I'm just confused as to why they would paint the facade yellow just to cover it up with some sheathing.
They didn’t paint the facade and that is not the facade, just the siding.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG91 View Post
The yellow is probably the air barrier (I was going to say gyp sheathing, but I don't see any text/logos which makes me think it is the air barrier that was sprayed or rolled on). The blue is the rigid foam insulation. I believe the final finish is stucco.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio