HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
And I'm saying, if you're going to live next to the Frost Tower, you should understand that you are going to be living next to a stunning piece of architecture that deserves to be well and brightly lit. I don't think the complaints from a few nearby residents that the lights are too bright should deter the rest of SA from enjoying a spectacularly lit signature tower in their downtown.

Please excuse me for my uninformed, thoughtless and one-sided post, I'll go back to hiding behind my internet anonymity to disparage and insult as many people I disagree with as I can, because it's what I just love doing.
One of the issues a few years back with Austin's rising skyline was that it was too dark at night. They have since fixed that issue in recent years. Adding lights to buildings, similar to the BofA Plaza allow buildings to keep their architectural significance throughout the day and throughout the year. In addition, such lighting allows for seasonal variations using its architectural contour.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Whew!
I take it you don't like their work?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
One of the issues a few years back with Austin's rising skyline was that it was too dark at night. They have since fixed that issue in recent years. Adding lights to buildings, similar to the BofA Plaza allow buildings to keep their architectural significance throughout the day and throughout the year. In addition, such lighting allows for seasonal variations using its architectural contour.
Ironically, Austin has Dark Sky ordinances that prevent most kinds of uplighting on buildings, so lighting has to be either within (from a glass crown, say), or shining down or directly out instead of up. Even the Frost Bank Tower shuts off the lights in its crown after a certain time at night. So I'm not sure if the same kind of amazing lighting on BofA Plaza has would be allowed for a new tower in Austin :/ (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Of course, older buildings like the Capitol are exceptions and their uplighting is grandfathered in, but I believe it can't be newly installed.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 10:21 PM
JACKinBeantown

I'm looking forward to seeing the scaffolding removed from the 14/15th floor. It looks like you can see sky through it. If so, I think it might actually be a double floor conference room or something like that.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 1:03 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
I take it you don't like their work?
Oh. Dammit! I misread your post. I thought you meant there would be no lighting on Frost. Did you actually mean that the lighting will be done but by somebody other than this company?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Oh. Dammit! I misread your post. I thought you meant there would be no lighting on Frost. Did you actually mean that the lighting will be done but by somebody other than this company?
Yup. Someone else is doing the lighting. I emailed him in the morning.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 1:56 AM

Weston's plan for the open green space in the block in front of the bank is on the HDRC agenda, and it's a good read with lots of info about that lot's history:

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
...so they don't make generic, uninformed comments about it being as simple as closing the curtains.

All I'm saying is think a little more before typing words. Look at things from perspectives that aren't your own.
And can't you do the same, dude? He was voicing his opinion, of which he isn't alone, and with which you don't have to agree. But everyone's opinion on here matters because it's a forum, and should represent all types of voices from the community. His comment was not "generic and uninformed" because you don't agree. Also, not everything has to be personally taken, and you don't have to insult others' views.

San Antonio is a different place and residents may find the prospect of bright lighting on facades of buildings kind of exciting, and it's probably no brighter than the god-awful orange parking lot lighting screaming through the window of every suburban-style apartment.

People on this forum seriously need to get a thicker skin and respect others more. I check this forum every day to see news about urban development and people's perspective, yet often have to scroll past several posts of bickering and arguing with other users. It's getting kind of ridiculous. Can we be adults please?

On a positive note....I am loving how far that garage has come and how quickly it shot up. What is the space between the garage and access to the San Pedro Creek supposed to look like?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Pride28 View Post
What is the space between the garage and access to the San Pedro Creek supposed to look like?
There will be ground-floor retail facing the creek. There's probably a rendering somewhere in this thread.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
There will be ground-floor retail facing the creek. There's probably a rendering somewhere in this thread.

This is the only rendering on the creek side, it's a little hard to tell but I can see some of the retail space. I won't lie though I'm not liking the asphalt with cars parked on it in the rendering! I hope they make that side all pedestrian. Ground floor retail all the way though

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 9:52 PM

That might just be Camaron street.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 11:18 PM

Delete

Last edited by SAguy; Mar 17, 2018 at 11:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 1:44 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Pride28 View Post
And can't you do the same, dude? He was voicing his opinion, of which he isn't alone, and with which you don't have to agree. But everyone's opinion on here matters because it's a forum, and should represent all types of voices from the community. His comment was not "generic and uninformed" because you don't agree. Also, not everything has to be personally taken, and you don't have to insult others' views.

San Antonio is a different place and residents may find the prospect of bright lighting on facades of buildings kind of exciting, and it's probably no brighter than the god-awful orange parking lot lighting screaming through the window of every suburban-style apartment.

People on this forum seriously need to get a thicker skin and respect others more. I check this forum every day to see news about urban development and people's perspective, yet often have to scroll past several posts of bickering and arguing with other users. It's getting kind of ridiculous. Can we be adults please?

On a positive note....I am loving how far that garage has come and how quickly it shot up. What is the space between the garage and access to the San Pedro Creek supposed to look like?
Everyone's opinion absolutely does matter. I agree 100%. I had stated my opinion and others agreed with me. Some didn't. Whatever... that's fine.

Here's the comment to which I was referring:
"If you want a quiet, dark place, don't live freaking downtown. Or, you know, do something as simple as close the curtains when you're ready to go to sleep."

It was OK for him/her to disagree with me, but it didn't need to be done in a way that seemed to be an attempt at belittling my opinion.

Yes, we ALL need to be adults. Please direct that comment to both parties.

You took my sentence and obfuscated it by removing it from the rest of what I typed (post #1177), so you used it out of context and insinuated that it was insulting. I admit that it wasn't portraying the other party's words with praise, but if you go back and read all four paragraphs I wrote you'll see that when taken in context it is not as you portrayed it to be.

I'm going to drop the subject.

Anyway, this is now my second attempt to move on. The first was when I tried to engage someone... anyone... in the subject of the scaffolding on the 14th floor.

I'll try again. Here goes...

Has anyone else noticed that it looks like there might be a glimpse of light coming through the scaffold on the north side when viewing on webcam #2? It may be a reflection, but it has been there several days in a row. My guess is that it may be the construction of a double-height floor for a conference room. Or I could just be hopefully imagining that.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 1:56 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Shared by jaga185 back in December (and possibly earlier than that.) The angled retail space in the top left is the one they've been working on for the past few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Are you looking for this?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 2:47 AM

So I walked by the site tonight, and the glass is dirty as hell! Is that normal? Put the glass on only to have to clean it once the building is done?

Last edited by Fryguy; Mar 18, 2018 at 4:24 AM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 3:24 AM

Quote:
So I walked by the site tonight, and the glass is a lady dirty as hell! Is that normal? Out the glass on only to have to clean it once the building is done?
I could wash my car today and it would be covered by pollen by tomorrow. Pollen is in everything right now. But, all the plants blooming right now look awesome! I'll take the beautiful flowers over everything else.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:
So I walked by the site tonight, and the glass is dirty as hell! Is that normal? Put the glass on only to have to clean it once the building is done?
Yes it's normal. It's a job site, things get dirty during construction.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 7:44 PM

Quote:
That might just be Camaron street.
Makes sense, I just kinda figured maybe they would make it more of a promenade/pedestrian street type of thing? Especially with access to the creek. Oh well.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:06 PM
James

3/18/2018 From Hays Street Bridge

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:32 PM
JACKinBeantown

Looks like they're down to one core.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio