HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Aquatic centre pushed back four years in Red Deer’s 2019 proposed capital budget

About 85 per cent of capital budget could be spent on utility and road upgrades

Lana Michelin

Oct. 26, 2018 12:00 p.m.

The City of Red Deer’s proposed $115.7-million capital budget pushes back the long-sought-after multi-use aquatic centre for another four years.
This means the design won’t begin until 2023, with construction scheduled to start in 2025.

The scope of the project will be reviewed next year, however, to determine whether any cost savings can be achieved, says city manager Craig Curtis.

The proposed 2019 capital budget includes mostly must-have utility and road upgrades and very few new initiatives, such as planning for the G.H. Dawe spray park and arena twinning.

Curtis said the design for this project was moved up a year, with construction suggested for 2020, because the Kinex Arena is only expected to last another five years.
The aquatic centre had to be pushed back because the city was approaching its debt limit, said Curtis. With many unknowns about the availability of future provincial funding, he said administration didn’t want to risk exceeding the city’s self-imposed debt ceiling.
See Red Deer Advocate for original article.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 1:58 AM

^ I haven't been following the Aquatic centre saga but.....

Hwy 11A upgrades are coming! Looks like intersection upgrades are possible next year. It will be Blackfalds' turn to hit construction coming into RD. Penhold has had their fair share of construction due to the QEII interchange project.

Unfortunately, the actual twinning of 11A wont be until 2022, including an overpass of the CP railway.

http://www.reddeer.ca/city-governmen...rthland-drive/
Are going insane.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 6:52 PM

That's exciting. Let all those Blackfalds and Sylvan Lake commuters have a taste of construction for a change.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 10:23 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmsma View Post
I hope it stays too. Representing Red Deer's first medical clinic doesn't seem like a trivial piece of history, and as a new city without a large stock of pre-World War I buildings it makes sense to keep what we have.

I'm guessing incorporating it directly into the new building would be fairly expensive. I wonder if just allowing it to remain as is on site would be an option?

I'm quietly optimistic for new court building overall...
Damn, didn't realize the Province has done this already once before:

https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news...wrecking-ball/

"In the early 1980s, Dawe recalled a similar conservation controversy was brewing over the former Snell house. This older home was once located on the lot chosen for the existing Red Deer courthouse.

Although Snell house had no historic designation, it was initially saved from destruction. It was later levelled, however, when someone from the province deemed the architectural style did not complement the modernist courthouse.

Curtis recalled the city wanted to preserve Snell house, but was ultimately overruled."

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Damn, didn't realize the Province has done this already once before:

https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news...wrecking-ball/

"In the early 1980s, Dawe recalled a similar conservation controversy was brewing over the former Snell house. This older home was once located on the lot chosen for the existing Red Deer courthouse.

Although Snell house had no historic designation, it was initially saved from destruction. It was later levelled, however, when someone from the province deemed the architectural style did not complement the modernist courthouse.

Curtis recalled the city wanted to preserve Snell house, but was ultimately overruled."

Cool picture. Is that the Snell House in the bottom left corner? That certainly would have made a smart - I want to call it an addition, but maybe a non-subtraction - to the downtown core!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 3:00 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Cool picture. Is that the Snell House in the bottom left corner? That certainly would have made a smart - I want to call it an addition, but maybe a non-subtraction - to the downtown core!
Yeah I believe that is it in the corner, a similar although perhaps slightly smaller downtown brick house.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:50 PM

Not sure if this was intentional, but it almost looks like the court house brick was selected to match the house...

I was reading the article you posted the other day. It sounds like the existing court house will be vacated after the Justice Centre is built. It's an important intersection. I'm hoping thought was taken to uses for the old court house or, if demolished, what might take its place.

On a bit of a tangent, what's the difference between a justice centre and a court house anyway...?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 3:33 AM

The existing courthouse should be vacated when the new Justice Centre opens. Unfortunately, I think it will just turn into another empty building for a bit. Not exactly sure of what I hope should take it's place.... a tower twice as tall as Stantec Exec. Place would be nice. hahaha
Are going insane.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 3:34 AM

Also, new Downtown Police group unveiled today. A step in the right direction for sure!
Are going insane.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 3:50 AM

Hey Will, you should take a look at this Reddit thread... maybe you can shed some light on this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeer/com...between_black/
Are going insane.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
Hey Will, you should take a look at this Reddit thread... maybe you can shed some light on this.

[urlhttps://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeer/comments/86s76u/whats_the_deal_with_this_parking_in_between_black/[/url]
No idea - that's pretty interesting. A parking lot chained off sitting empty for 35 years? Good grief!

My wife and I saw the new downtown police riding on their mountain bikes on Thursday. It's fantastic - I'm hopeful that this can make a significant difference downtown.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 3:45 AM

Quote:
No idea - that's pretty interesting. A parking lot chained off sitting empty for 35 years? Good grief!

My wife and I saw the new downtown police riding on their mountain bikes on Thursday. It's fantastic - I'm hopeful that this can make a significant difference downtown.
Yah. Next time you drive by the Black Knight Inn, you'll think of that thread and look at the parking lot. Never much noticed it until someone on Facebook commented about it. Now I look at it every time I drive past.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 8:39 AM

Also, Gasoline Alley is no longer a business park.

County of Red Deer officially approved the change from business park to hamlet at their last council meeting.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 10:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Also, Gasoline Alley is no longer a business park.

County of Red Deer officially approved the change from business park to hamlet at their last council meeting.
Gasoline Alley sure is growing at a alarming rate, especially on the West side of the QE2. I noticed the RCMP pull tons of people over, as the speed limit drops to 80km/hr in the area.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Gasoline Alley sure is growing at a alarming rate, especially on the West side of the QE2. I noticed the RCMP pull tons of people over, as the speed limit drops to 80km/hr in the area.
Yes, west Gasoline Alley is growing pretty good. It is expected to turn into a full blown town. Houses/condo's/townhouses are going up steadily. There are businesses leaving Red Deer and going to Gasoline Alley because of the much lower taxes and 'up and coming' mentality.

The speed limit should be back to 110 next spring when the construction finishes up on the interchange.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 10:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, west Gasoline Alley is growing pretty good. It is expected to turn into a full blown town. Houses/condo's/townhouses are going up steadily. There are businesses leaving Red Deer and going to Gasoline Alley because of the much lower taxes and 'up and coming' mentality.

The speed limit should be back to 110 next spring when the construction finishes up on the interchange.
I am staying at a hotel in Gasoline Alley for a pipeline project I am working on. I enjoy the area, and it is amazing how big the areas is becoming. I guess I lucked out, as I commute daily south of the area, and know exactly when to slow down to 80. Sadly, not everyone does...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 4:30 PM

Riverside development will start to take shape this year

Capstone at Riverlands to feature mix of residential and commercial buildings amid public spaces

Red Deerians will get a taste of the potential for the city’s marquee riverside development this year.

While large-scale development is likely at least a year away for Capstone at Riverlands, the public will see key roads finished, bike trails, sidewalks and lighting added and, if all goes well, the completion of a public gathering spot called Canada 150 Square.

“At this point, (the site) still probably doesn’t look a lot different to most people,” said project manager Cory Edinga. “But by the end of this year, we expect it will start to take shape.”

The city has ambitious plans for Riverlands and its prime location on the river in an area once dominated by the city’s public works yards, which were demolished in 2014.

Capstone will eventually include a mix of condos and town homes, as well as commercial developments, such as hotels, offices and restaurants.

Public gathering spaces, green spaces and cultural facilities, such as a public market and artist studios, are also planned, as is a pedestrian bridge connecting the area to Bower Ponds.

The area has already attracted the eye of one developer, who is interested in building a multi-unit residential project in the area.

“Currently, we’re working with them to negotiate a deal so they can start working on that project,” said Edinga.

“Likely, we wouldn’t see anything happening on site this year. I expect that will probably be something we might see early next year.”

Capstone is slated for medium- to high-density residential units, such as apartments, condominiums or higher-density townhomes.

The city put out a call for a proposal for a riverfront hotel last year, but so far, there have been no takers.

“Right now, what we’re hearing from the hotel business is they want to see more development happening before they decide to invest in a hotel in this area,” he said.

In the meantime, the city has a busy construction season planned. Work began last week on Alexander Way and on 45th Street last year. This year, parking lanes, streetlights, bike paths, planters and seating will be added.

Another change people will notice is upgrading to the trail along the river from Taylor Drive to the West Park escarpment, which will be called Riverwalk.

“We’ll be upgrading that trail with some lighting and different amenities,” said Edinga.

https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news...ape-this-year/
Are going insane.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 4:57 AM
BANNED

Per the throne speech, the NDP have committed funding a major expansion of the Red Deer Regional Hospital. If the UCP get in, you're out of luck, because they will be re-directing those funds towards a 1/3rd tax reduction for billionaire owners of corporations.

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...BE491986B74972
Quote:
This year we will move forward with a badly needed expansion of the Red Deer Regional Hospital. This work will expand the emergency room, establish a cardiac catheterization lab, and expand other services to ensure this vital part of central Alberta is ready to care for generations of patients and families.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 5:08 PM

Zero funding for it. Throne speech BS. And please don't politicize this thread.

Red Deerians want a NEW hospital. Not an expansion.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 10:10 PM

Hi folks, I was out shooting photos last week and have an update of some of the downtown construction.

This is the nearly completed Alexander Place apartments. I think they're turning out just fine. Interesting that they decided against making this development a condominium.

The Three Robins development - these will be a condominium for folks aged 55+. One more floor to go, and - for Red Deer - putting this up remarkably quickly.

Construction hoarding is up around Parsons House and the old RCMP building. While they haven't released a design yet for the new Justice Centre, they have excavators already at work demolishing the RCMP building. I a little excited to see the design they come up with and whether - seems unlikely but here's hoping - they integrate Parsons House directly into the new build.

This was completed several months ago for the Canada Games, but here is another photo of the Gary W. Harris Celebration Plaza. If you look closely, you can see the concrete on the steps already beginning to break apart. I'd like to blame the skateboarders, but I'm guessing they just did a crap job of pouring the concrete.

Completed tiny plaza in front of Red Deer City Hall. It is a needed addition to City Hall. It will likely be well-used by our confused yellow-vest protesters for their get-togethers.

This is a nearly completed new house in nearby Parkvale, built by Forefront Homes. This isn't my favourite of their work, but they are building high quality new homes around the downtown - nice to see in the middle of a recession. Kennect Building and Design is another builder I am a fan of who - I think - is doing good work around the downtown (I haven't seen the inside of their homes, but they look good on the outside).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia