HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 12:29 AM

I had a need to drive across the metro today for the first time in more than two months. The amount of cranes that can be seen driving into Austin from the North on the upper deck is incredible. There must be at least 30 in a sweeping glance across Campus/West Campus/Capitol Complex then downtown. Many of the downtown cranes are high enough to be seen among the buildings.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 7:51 PM

It's official now. As someone previously mentioned, The Concrete Cowboy and Dogwood are the site of a proposed new tower. It's Kairoi again, and it's an apartment tower.

CNTRL-U
view-source:https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2020/05/14/developer-buys-west-sixth-street-site-apartments.html?iana=hpmvp_aus_news_headline

EDIT: This is a little confusing, but Kairoi bought the 1/4 Block where Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is located, and another entity allegedly has the The Concrete Cowboy and Dogwood site under contract.

Last edited by The ATX; May 14, 2020 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 8:14 PM

The WTF plot is half gone to a CVC. Am I misreading the map? Not sure how big something could potentially be on this 1/4 block.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
The WTF plot is half gone to a CVC. Am I misreading the map? Not sure how big something could potentially be on this 1/4 block.
There's plenty of room for one of those angled towers that are becoming common here.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 5:58 PM

The tallest lists in the development sticky thread have been updated.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
There's plenty of room for one of those angled towers that are becoming common here.

That "parking lot" next to WTF has been in need of development for a long time.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 5:04 AM

Elevations were released for the project replacing the Texas Bankers Association building across the street from the Gov's house at 203 W. 10th St. It looks like it's around 136' on the tallest side.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/.../200528/PLANS/

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 9:54 PM

“More high-rise apartments may soon be built on the west side of downtown Austin by a developer already building Austin's next tallest tower.

San Antonio-based multifamily developer Kairoi Residential on March 9 purchased a quarter-block along West Sixth and Rio Grande streets, CEO Michael Lynd said.”

“ It appears more bars west of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot along Sixth Street could soon change hands, as well. A different company has the sites occupied by Concrete Cowboy and The Dogwood under contract, multiple sources said. It’s unclear if that sale will close. The developer could not immediately be reached for comment.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n....html?ana=kxan

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 1:16 PM

A couple of questions

1. Has Austin ever had two significant highrise projects being built on the same block at the same time? Thinking Third & Shoal / Austin Proper fit that description.

2. Is there a block in town that has 3 significant highrise buildings on it as is the potential here when including 5th & West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
“More high-rise apartments may soon be built on the west side of downtown Austin by a developer already building Austin's next tallest tower.

San Antonio-based multifamily developer Kairoi Residential on March 9 purchased a quarter-block along West Sixth and Rio Grande streets, CEO Michael Lynd said.”

“ It appears more bars west of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot along Sixth Street could soon change hands, as well. A different company has the sites occupied by Concrete Cowboy and The Dogwood under contract, multiple sources said. It’s unclear if that sale will close. The developer could not immediately be reached for comment.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n....html?ana=kxan

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 5:37 PM

Quote:
A couple of questions
2. Is there a block in town that has 3 significant highrise buildings on it as is the potential here when including 5th & West?
The closest thing is the block one east of Republic Square, with the 174' Plaza Lofts, the 305' Hotel ZaZa, and the under construction 572' Hanover Republic Square.

The block one east of the JW Marriott is the next best thing with the 166' Hampton Inn, the 221' Hyatt Place, and the proposed 511' Hanover Brazos Street

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 9:57 PM

Quote:
A couple of questions

1. Has Austin ever had two significant highrise projects being built on the same block at the same time? Thinking Third & Shoal / Austin Proper fit that description.

I think 44 East and Natiivo (48 East) fit the bill for the first question.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 10:02 PM

It also fits the second question with Windsor on the Lake and Skyhouse also on that block.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 6:42 PM

Shameless crib from Novacek -- he posted this on the #atxurbanists FB group, and I was excited so had to jump over here and cross post. The City Council worksession today includes the a discussion of certain UT properties which are up for development. I was excited to see West Pickle included as one of them, though the bulk of the discussion is about the Brackenridge tract and Muny. Link should take you to a pdf/ppt.

https://www.austintexas.gov/edims/do...up6HnVX_n_dy-o

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Shameless crib from Novacek -- he posted this on the #atxurbanists FB group, and I was excited so had to jump over here and cross post. The City Council worksession today includes the a discussion of certain UT properties which are up for development. I was excited to see West Pickle included as one of them, though the bulk of the discussion is about the Brackenridge tract and Muny. Link should take you to a pdf/ppt.

https://www.austintexas.gov/edims/do...up6HnVX_n_dy-o
If that link doesn’t work, it’s item B004 on the agenda (Austin’s system is sometimes funny with links)

https://www.austintexas.gov/departme...200519-wrk.htm

It certainly doesn’t guarantee anything’s imminent (UT does things on their own timeline). But I think it’s encouraging that they seem to be decoupling the rest of their Lake Austin Blvd development from the politically-charged Muny question (Breck lab has it’s defenders, but it’s not getting nearly as much attention).

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 9:31 PM
Resident Moron

West Pickle is some valuable land.

I really wish they would break up the part of Pickle that fronts Burnett and Braker to allow for some smaller VMU development as that area gets denser.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 3:25 PM

1111 West 6th Street

I wish I had time to surf this forum like I used to, but it's hard to find the time. I looked at the different threads and couldn't find anythign referencing this address. It is the old AISD headquarters that is currently being demolished. Any idea what is going in there now?

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 3:43 PM

I think they're building a new four or five story office building with underground parking. I don't recall the developer, maybe Endeavor? I don't think renderings were ever released

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
I think they're building a new four or five story office building with underground parking. I don't recall the developer, maybe Endeavor? I don't think renderings were ever released
Thanks!
I used to work in that building when I first discovered this list back in 01 or so... I had a nice view of all that downtown construction for about 7 years while I worked there.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 7:19 PM

We've talked about that building before, and I remember seeing a rendering show up a while back. It's nothing earthshattering, but is new stuff where old stuff used to be, so a victory of sorts. If I remember correctly they keep a lot of the old structures on the property, so the final product will be a combo of new build and reno'd original stuff.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 8:30 PM
Resident Moron

Yeah, I distinctly remember being underwhelmed by the building at the old AISD HQ and I think I remember them retaining some of the existing building?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin