HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I was reading through the list of 2012 capital projects (posted by a few people in other SJ threads) and noticed construction of an 8 unit strip mall in Torbay. Does anyone know what this is all about? It may not have anything to do with retail, but I decided to post here since it was stated as a strip mall.
At the bottom of Piperstock Hill there's a sign for a strip mall.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 5:55 PM

Orange store being built on Kenmount rd (near donovans) will have a subway built in

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 9:48 PM

Does anyone know what is being built next to the Buck or Two in the Stavanger Drive area? Site work has started on something.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Does anyone know what is being built next to the Buck or Two in the Stavanger Drive area? Site work has started on something.
I noticed the same thing over the weekend. I had no idea anything was planned for that site. It is, however, nice to see some infill there since that parking lot is a lot of wasted space. I also noticed the area in front of Mark's on Kelsey has been gated off. I think this will be the new site for Swiss Chalet - this has not yet been confirmed though.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 1:45 PM

I believe PF Changs is back in the proposed Harbour front restaurant development next to the Keg along with the other restaurant Legros and Motti

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A325 View Post
I believe PF Changs is back in the proposed Harbour front restaurant development next to the Keg along with the other restaurant Legros and Motti
Any idea on a construction date?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 3:29 PM

Last edited by techie; Aug 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM. Reason: double post

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I noticed the same thing over the weekend. I had no idea anything was planned for that site. It is, however, nice to see some infill there since that parking lot is a lot of wasted space. I also noticed the area in front of Mark's on Kelsey has been gated off. I think this will be the new site for Swiss Chalet - this has not yet been confirmed though.
I just got confirmation that the new development in front of Mark's on Kelsey Drive is a TD Bank.

they are putting the Swiss Chalet, along with a Royal Bank in front of the Staples on Kelsey.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
I just got confirmation that the new development in front of Mark's on Kelsey Drive is a TD Bank.

they are putting the Swiss Chalet, along with a Royal Bank in front of the Staples on Kelsey.
^^^^ Thanks for the update! TD is really upping its presence in the city. I believe they just recently opened a new branch in Manuels and another branch will be built on Stavanger, site of the former Penney Preowned dealership.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Any idea on a construction date?
Doesn't look like it is gonna be any sooner than next spring/summer

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 1:21 PM

My friend just told me that they said on the radio that H&M are opening a location here... could this finally be true? lol

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 1:32 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

On a visit this weekend, my parents brought me a Banana Republic shirt from the outlet in Halifax. Apparently, when asked about a return, the clerk told them an outlet would be opening here within 90 days. Another clerk then butted in and said she thought the outlet was delayed, and wouldn't be here that soon.

None the less, it looks like Banana Republic might be on the way. I for one am very pleased about that.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
On a visit this weekend, my parents brought me a Banana Republic shirt from the outlet in Halifax. Apparently, when asked about a return, the clerk told them an outlet would be opening here within 90 days. Another clerk then butted in and said she thought the outlet was delayed, and wouldn't be here that soon.

None the less, it looks like Banana Republic might be on the way. I for one am very pleased about that.
^^^^ Hmm... it does sound promising! I'd love for a BR (and Tommy Hilfiger) outlet to come to St. John's. However, I'm a little reluctant to get my hopes up until something official is announced. Retail locations always seem subject to change quite often. But hey, BR employees would definitely know more about new locations than me...

As for the H&M, if this was announced on the radio I would give it some credit for sure. A couple of months back a writer for The Scope contacted H&M and inquired about a potential opening in St. John's. Their response indicated they did not have planned openings in 2012 but (of course) that could change. Here is a link to the discussion:

http://thescope.ca/wha/is-hm-coming-to-st-johns

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post

The plans for the new phase of the Stavanger Drive area, around Rona, shows the Gap as one of the stores going there, I thought from the beginning that it could be Banana Republic because I've never seen a Gap in a big box store development but have seen BR.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
The plans for the new phase of the Stavanger Drive area, around Rona, shows the Gap as one of the stores going there, I thought from the beginning that it could be Banana Republic because I've never seen a Gap in a big box store development but have seen BR.
I noticed the same thing when looking at the site plans a few months back... Actually, I think I attached a link to the PDF in a previous post. If the rumor holds true this could very well be the spot... it seems plausible.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 5:09 PM

H&M is likely opening as they are opening in Fredericton this year and are looking at opening a second Halifax location as well!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 5:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
H&M is likely opening as they are opening in Fredericton this year and are looking at opening a second Halifax location as well!
H&M has been open in Moncton for well over a year and BR is opening a factory store in the Mapleton Centre in Moncton this fall, so I would not be surprised to see them coming to St. John's too.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
My friend just told me that they said on the radio that H&M are opening a location here... could this finally be true? lol
H&M has been in the middle of rumors around St. John's for years. As of March of this year, H&M apparently had no plans to open a location in St. John's for this year. Anything could happen next year I suppose

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 1:26 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That bra place won the international award for best business in NYC, and now the Newfoundland Chocolate Company has won a big one as well:

http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releas...rd/0830n03.htm

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 6:51 PM

A friend of mine was shopping at Banana Republic in Halifax a couple weeks back and was chatting with the store manager. She mentioned it would be great if BR opened a store in St. John's. The manager told her that BR has plans to open in St. John's and were waiting until their new store in Moncton was completed. Again, this is not a gaurantee BR will be coming to St. John's but I think it's definitely a strong sign. Likewise, location and time frame remain to be seen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's