HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 3:04 PM

Transit Oriented Development (TOD) Public Event - Oct 8th

Hi all,

Received a notice for this event by the City of Winnipeg via email:

Transit Oriented Development (TOD) Public Event

Thursday, Oct 8th, 2009 - 7:00PM to 9:00PM at the Gas Station Theatre

The City of Winnipeg is currently in the process of developing a new development plan – Our Winnipeg – which will create a 25-year blueprint for the City’s future.

The presentation and discussion is about the Transit Oriented Development (TOD) project, which is one of numerous strategies being undertaken to under the OurWinnipeg Initiative. The aim of the project is to establish a high level policy framework to facilitate implementation of TOD along rapid transit corridors in Winnipeg, and inform the larger OurWinnipeg process. The TOD project also involves a comprehensive review of the City’s policy & development regulatory framework, and will make recommendations on what the City needs to change to successfully implement TOD in Winnipeg.

Speaking to the planner, there should be an ad in the Sou'Wester on Oct 1st. I tried to attach the pdf of the poster I received, but it didn't work for me.

Anyone else receive this? Planning on going?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 8:20 PM

Bump.

Saw that there has been lots a views, but no responses.

Is anyone planning to go to this?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 10:07 PM

I plan to check it out, though I hope turnout is better than responses to this post!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 4:04 PM

I'm in Winnipeg for the week. I might go and check it out.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 11:02 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i'll be there

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 5:59 AM
WPG - OTT - MTL

I was planning on attending but would have needed to be late (which I thought could have been unprofessional). How did it turn out?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 6:23 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the city planners are doing their jobs but in the end its down to councle........

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 4:30 PM

^ True. But the final impressions I was left with are:
- the planning dept. really wants to do this right the first time and incorporate better TOD inspired land uses as we build out our rapid transit lines.
- secondary plans will be better used to enforce land uses (ie: city will have better ability to say yes/no to appropriate developments)
- at the end of the day, we're Slow-Growth-Winnipeg, so it'll all come together 1 delayed development at a time, but at least our kids will have a cooler city to grow up in.

It was good seeing a few forumers in the crowd (as small as the crowd was).

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.online View Post
at the end of the day, we're Slow-Growth-Winnipeg, so it'll all come together 1 delayed development at a time
To that end, I argue any use of the "Quality Corridors" typology for TOD is NOT the best option for Winnipeg.

Where it was acknowledged that we are a slow growth city;
And that we have a limited demand for higher density residential TOD developments; we must therefore focus on LIMITING the number of stops on ALL transit routes where TOD principles will be applied (not just dedicated ROW rapid transit routes).

In other words, the Quality Corridors typology does nothing more than spread far too thin for any discernible effect an already small amount of true TOD development opportunity, meaning Winnipeg will gain no tangible benefit.

Winnipeg needs to adopt the 'Pearls on a String' TOD philosophy to obtain maximum benefit.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 1:35 AM

sure. i hear what you're saying and agree with ya. and in fact, from the conversation i had, i think the 'Pearls on a String' typology is what they're going after: Phase 1 stations of Harkness, Osborne & Fort Rouge all are targeted TOD areas with nothing between them. Moreover, from what I hear, there's already some traction in getting these lands developed.

Extending it further out, Union Station has potential opportunity to be designated TOD (would be fantastic), but the phase 2 'pearls' (stations) further south will certainly be more challenging as the routes current alignment doesn't provide much land opportunities or TOD.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan