HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Oh, and what about that music t-shirt, water pipe, zippo lighter, switchblade, incense-smelling, etc. store that used to be on the Scarth St. Mall?
"Charisma" it was called. They used to sell all kinds of paraphernalia,scales, pipes...and some kind of Middle East cigarettes called "Beanies" that my friends used to sell to idiots as joints...lol...those were the days.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:22 PM

Pedelli had the best fries... lots of seasoning and incredibly salty. I've never had fries that good since.

I don't suppose you'd remember a convenience store called Jungle Jim's, would you? It was buried back in that 4-storey building on south Albert & 29th St. My friends and I would always go there to play video games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothirds75 View Post
Just today, I was in the Golden Mile and pointed out to my wife where Pedelli's was ( I probably last had it when I was about 8 around 1983; there was also a bakery in the Golden Mile, and I used to go with my dad to Book and Briar when he was buying new pipe tobacco. I think you could smoke up right in store.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadyeyez View Post
"Charisma" it was called. They used to sell all kinds of paraphernalia,scales, pipes...and some kind of Middle East cigarettes called "Beanies" that my friends used to sell to idiots as joints...lol...those were the days.
How many Beanies did your friends sell you?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm310 View Post
Pedelli had the best fries... lots of seasoning and incredibly salty. I've never had fries that good since.

I don't suppose you'd remember a convenience store called Jungle Jim's, would you? It was buried back in that 4-storey building on south Albert & 29th St. My friends and I would always go there to play video games.
I remember Jungle Jim's being on the corner of Dorothy and Sherwood. It was a movie/video game rental place.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:58 PM

There used to be a Star Wars/space movie store on the 11th. Anyone remember what it was called?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 6:02 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
There used to be a Star Wars/space movie store on the 11th. Anyone remember what it was called?
Subspace Anomalies. It became Tokyo 7.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 6:09 PM
Regina SK

Anyone remember a store called S4 (i believe) above Tiki Room? You had to enter in the alley, then go upstairs. They sold electronic records, graffiti supplies and that type of thing. It was a great space but I don't think it lasted very long. I wonder if there's anything in there now?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post
Subspace Anomalies. It became Tokyo 7.
That's it. I wasted a few bucks there, over the years.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 8:55 PM

Quote:
I don't suppose you'd remember a convenience store called Jungle Jim's, would you? It was buried back in that 4-storey building on south Albert & 29th St.
This one?
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=south+A...18.83,,1,-8.31

That's where the two-storey Dairy Queen was.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 1:56 AM

Yup, that's the one - although I remember it without the frontage where Domino's, Subway and TCBY are now. Perhaps that was added later. I seem to remember that the first floor on the Domino's side was partly open like a driveway, and wrapped around the back of the building for Dairy Queen's drive-thru. Along the driveway on the Domino's side was the door into Jungle Jim's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
This one?
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=south+A...18.83,,1,-8.31

That's where the two-storey Dairy Queen was.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 2:32 AM

I remember more than once my family driving clear across town to that Dairy Queen, because back when the chain had hard ice cream, that was the only location that would chocolate-dip a cone for my mother.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 3:30 PM

Yes, Charisma!

Quote:
Heh, I won $250 on a Christmas scratch 'n win as a 13-yr-old at Jungle Jim's. Looking back now, I was lucky the clerk lady didn't steal it on me. She was probably out of line even selling it and redeeming it to me. I forget the ticket, but if you scratched a bonus santa head, you won $250. Which reminds me, I took the winnings, bought:

1. A cheap skateboard at the Southland Woolco
2. A digital watch at the South Albert CONSUMER'S DISTRIBUTING
3. And a Saints and a Seahawks t-shirt at the sporting goods store that was in the Golden Mile...What was that called??? It was a true-blue sports store!

Last edited by twothirds75; Nov 19, 2010 at 3:32 PM. Reason: Typos

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 4:00 PM

Trianon Ballroom?

I have no memory of even seeing the ballroom, though I think I do remember construction of the Trianon seniors highrise. Any stories from the Trianon?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 4:56 PM

Not me personally, but my dad said he used to go there when he was young. It had its heyday back in the days of World War II and shortly after. Apparently it used to be quite a happening place, with big-name jazz greats like Glenn Miller and Guy Lombardo. I've found other references to it online that say that early rock and roll bands played there in the 1950s. Even our great Canadian power trio Rush played there in 1975, early in their career. I'm not sure when it closed for good, but it must have been in the late 70s or early 80s.

Quote:
I have no memory of even seeing the ballroom, though I think I do remember construction of the Trianon seniors highrise. Any stories from the Trianon?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 5:46 PM

Quote:
I have a fantastic black and white photo of my parents at the Trianon in black tie and evening dress holding the Grey Cup that the Riders won in 1966.

At least in that picture, it looks like quite the happening venue.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 9:39 PM

Trianon Ballroom

I got this courtesy Sask Archives. Judging by the look of the cars, I'm guessing it's no later than the '40s.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 12:19 PM

Gold's nightclub, at Parliament and Albert. They had the disco'y elephant logo and a guy in bell bottoms with a moustache. As a kid I always looked forward to going there but they tore it down around '83 or so and built the Gold Square medical clinic building, KFC, etc.

Last edited by twothirds75; Nov 25, 2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Teepo

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 7:43 PM

I believe it started out as the "Old Gold" and later "The Gold". I found a video of its last night in business... check out those 80s fashion crimes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq9Np6uzAEc

I also seem to remember a restaurant called Waldo's (or something like that) right next to it.

Quote:
Gold's nightclub, at Parliament and Albert. They had the disco'y elephant logo and a guy in bell bottoms with a moustache. As a kid I always looked forward to going there but they tore it down around '83 or so and built the Gold Square medical clinic building, KFC, etc.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 8:48 PM

Quote:
I believe it started out as the "Old Gold" and later "The Gold". I found a video of its last night in business... check out those 80s fashion crimes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq9Np6uzAEc

I also seem to remember a restaurant called Waldo's (or something like that) right next to it.
Yup. Both were owned by Gene's, Ltd. which also owned Kentucky Fried Chicken (which had previously been across Albert Street before the Gold Square development was built.)

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 5:34 AM

Ah yes, Gene's... who brought us restaurants like Kentucky Fried Chicken, Sammy's Pizza, and Geno's.

http://www.uregina.ca/campaign/donors-sponsors-gl.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Yup. Both were owned by Gene's, Ltd. which also owned Kentucky Fried Chicken (which had previously been across Albert Street before the Gold Square development was built.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan