HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 12:31 AM

Kerrville: Louise Hays park and more

The wife and I went down to Kerrville this past weekend for my folks' 50th birthdays. On Saturday, we braved the heat and had a picnic at Kerrville's "urban" park along the Guadalupe river:

7. There were plans to turn this trail into a boardwalk, but unfortunately there was insufficient funding so those plans have been shelved indefinitely.

8. A gap in the trail forced us to take a quick detour up to street level. . .

10. We wound up in the parking lot of this rather rotund building, which is in fact. . .

11. . . . the famous Butt-Holdsworth Memorial Library! (named for H-E-B founder Howard E Butt and somebody named Holdsworth)

13. This house is right next to the library, along Water Street.

14. Looking down Water St. towards downtown.

15. The intersection of Water St. and Sidney Baker. The larger building is a former hospital being redeveloped into mixed use by an SA developer, and the smaller building is an old soda fountain/antique store.

16. Back down to the park. . .

20. I have memories from my middle school days of sitting in the approximate location of that solar panel and watching fireworks on the 4th of July.

21. How often do you see an actual regulation horseshoe pit??

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 1:46 PM
Meh

Interesting. I'm not sure I've ever actually been to Kerrville. I've been very close, but we usually only made it as far as Fredericksburg. That area out there is really where the Texas Hill Country starts to get interesting with some bigger hills and spectacular views.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 5:22 PM
Squint Like Clint

Nice pics, Kerrville is a real gem. My great uncle (who has passed on) once had a large home on a cliffy area overlooking the Guadalupe near Kerrville and I have fond memories of our occasional family trips down there. It's a great area.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Interesting. I'm not sure I've ever actually been to Kerrville. I've been very close, but we usually only made it as far as Fredericksburg. That area out there is really where the Texas Hill Country starts to get interesting with some bigger hills and spectacular views.
If you're driving along I-10, its easy to miss Kerrville because there's only 2 exits (same as the number for Comfort, which is 1/10th Kerrville's size) and the hills hide almost everything except the Lowe's, the Dairy Queen, and a couple of gas stations. I wish I could've gotten more shots of downtown and south of the river, which is where the mall, the new hospital, an 8-story office building, and the state hospital are. For its size (25k), Kerrville actually has some decent height, as it also has some 3-4 story condos farther up the river, and the 6-7 story VA hospital on the east side of town.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 9:05 PM
Meh

I think Mopacs here on the forum did a photo thread on Kerrville once and got a pic of one of the hospitals. It looked impressive nestled among the hills.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio