HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 1:18 PM
SR United Balla

1st Annual San Antonio Forum Meet - Saturday July 12th, 11AM!

Alright guys, from what i know this is going to be the first SA forum meet so lets make it a good one. Sorry about the short notice of this, i wanted it to coincide with Kevin's visit so that way he could be our guest of honor!
So the preliminary plan me and Kevin thought of was to meet at 11AM at the base of the Tower of Americas, go up for a bit(9 dollars i believe) and take some pictures, then go on a walk around downtown and see the construction and of course take pictures! Afterwards we could possibly eat lunch somewhere downtown provided that we are not all broke haha.

Rundown:
Where: Base of the Tower of Americas
When: 11AM(ill be there 30 mins early and we'll wait around for stragglers for about 15 mins)
Why: It will be badass!
Activities: Go up the ToA($9), Walk around downtown, chat, eat, take pictures, meet the other forumers in person!

Reminders: This forum meet is open to all SSP forumers, SA and ATX forumers are highly encouraged to attend, physical fighting and petty bickering will not be tolerated and bring a camera!

RSVP: So far me and Kevin will be there for sure, RSVP through this thread to let me know yall will be there so i have some sort of idea on how many people will be attending. If there is going to be a problem in which you cant make it on time but want to meet us later PM me and we can work something out!

I really hope to see everyone there, this event is long overdue!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 2:52 PM
Meh

Yep, I'm up for it. I've been looking forward to coming back to see the Grand Hyatt for several months, and wanting to see it from the Tower of the Americas especially. So that'll be cool. Plus, getting to meet other forumers is a neat experience. It's interesting to meet up with someone else who is interested in skyscrapers and cities. Until the forum came around, I hadn't ever met anyone that was genuinely interested in the subject that I could talk to about it.

Anyone else that will be in town, or has the day off or whatever, do drop by.

Hope to see you there.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 3:43 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Of course...I'll be in Abilene visiting the in-laws.

Be sure to check out the inside of the Grand Hyatt for us (with photos of course). It is supposed to be pretty nice...

And maybe you guys want to get to the top (pool deck) of the Drury Plaza for some shots from up there? Don't we know somebody who works there from the forum...?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 3:55 PM
Meh

I was hoping rustymac would reply to this thread, but he hasn't been on the forum since November. He apparently works with the sales office of Alteza, the residential portion of the Grand Hyatt of course. Anyway, that office is on the 23rd floor of the Tower Life Building. He said the office is open 7 days a week. On Saturday, their hours are 10 am to 6 pm. So I was thinking maybe we could try and see about going up there. Maybe rustymac will even be there too.

Here's the phone number, if one of you guys in San Antonio could call, (The Nano?) - 210.212.8400. rustymac's real name is Russel, so maybe if you ask for him we might get lucky.

If we can't make it up there, then the pool deck at the Drury Inn sounds great too. If you guys know of any other high up spots for taking pics, then do tell!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 3:56 PM

I won't be in SA then, but I better see some good pictures

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I was hoping rustymac would reply to this thread, but he hasn't been on the forum since November. He apparently works with the sales office of Alteza, the residential portion of the Grand Hyatt of course. Anyway, that office is on the 23rd floor of the Tower Life Building. He said the office is open 7 days a week. On Saturday, their hours are 10 am to 6 pm. So I was thinking maybe we could try and see about going up there. Maybe rustymac will even be there too.

Here's the phone number, if one of you guys in San Antonio could call, (The Nano?) - 210.212.8400. rustymac's real name is Russel, so maybe if you ask for him we might get lucky.

If we can't make it up there, then the pool deck at the Drury Inn sounds great too. If you guys know of any other high up spots for taking pics, then do tell!
I know of a spot....when you get off the elevator on each floor of the Holiday Inn, there's a big glass window to your left that faces out to the Big 3 (the 20th floor would probably be good). I saw a pic from this location months ago when the GH was under construction, and it was an awesome view, so now that it's done it should be great.

The Drury Plaza pool deck and rooftop terrace are only accessible w/ a guest card.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 4:06 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
Of course...I'll be in Abilene visiting the in-laws.
There's always next year. I make it a point to visit San Antonio at least once a year, and I'd be up for another forum meet then of course.

We can plan more stuff once more people start to reply, but I'd like to check out Houston Street too. Maybe make a loop around downtown to all the projects. I'm not sure if there's time, but I'd really like to see the Municipal Auditorium also.

Anyway, I'll be in town both Saturday and Sunday and I plan on taking a ton of pictures. We'll be driving back Saturday night, so I'll be able to upload the pics from Saturday, recharge the camera battery, and take a bunch more on Sunday.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 4:14 PM

I have to shoot a wedding in San Marcos this saturday, I think I can stop for a few minutes.
Also, if you tell the people at the tower that you want only observation deck, they should sell you a ticket for $5.

I made a big deal about it, when I went, and they wanted to charge me for 4D ride and stuff, I told them look, I have lived here all my life, and have been coming to the tower for years, I just want to go up to take a few photos.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 4:46 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

the watermark hotel rooftop pool is generally open to anyone (and it offers some great shots of SAs density), although a large group would probably set off some warning bells.

consider the grand hyatt floors 1-6 for balconies that you would be able to get some shots from. if its anything like faulkner's austin CC hotel, then the conference floors are open to anyone and have balconies for smokers and whatnot.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 5:00 PM
Meh

Ok, so the preliminary list of things to see and where to go:

Tower of the Americas
Houston Street and loop around downtown for the construction projects.
Alteza sales office (23rd floor of Tower Life Building).
Holiday Inn 20th floor
Watermark Hotel rooftop pool deck
Grand Hyatt pool deck

Municipal Auditorium? If not at the forum meet, I'll go it alone on Sunday. I really want to check it out.

We don't have to do all of those. Obviously the Tower of the Americas deck is a must, the walk around downtown, and I'd like to check out the Grand Hyatt pool deck for sure. If anyone else has any other suggestions, we can add them.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 5:20 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

you oughta consider taking the VIA "Sightseer" bus (#7)to catch a glimpse of various things - all for $3.75.

it stops at a lot of good skyline shots and also passes The Broadway site and cuts through River North...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 6:38 PM
SR United Balla

Kevin: i thought ChadpCarey was the guy who worked at the Alteza office, is this just my imagination?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 9:56 PM
Meh

I had seen in his post rustymac mentioning the model and inviting people to come up. I had said something in that thread and then he PMed me with that info.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 10:21 PM
James

Dang it, I won't be able to make it! It's too much short notice, *sigh*, you guys have fun!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the PM Kevin-- I think I can do this! I'll be in Austin all day Friday, but if I don't spend the night there I can probably make it.

And The Model is right-- the obs deck only is just $5, they just don't advertise it.

I should know this week, but odds are I'm in.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 1:32 AM
Meh

Cool, good to hear.

So far we have:

The Nano, The Model, Boquillas and myself

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 2:15 AM

I may be available saturday but for sure not at 11am.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 2:50 AM
Meh

We can do it later then. I'd like as many people to come as possible. What time would you be free, Paul?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 9:19 AM

Not sure have plans to build a fence. I will try and get out of it, my old man is stubborn. Plus it's my rental house, and, if he says he will help me build it, and, I say not today, I'm, *&^%ed!!!!!!!!!
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Jul 9, 2008 at 9:38 AM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 1:58 PM

Well, sorry to say, I'm shooting a wedding this week in San Marcos, I didn't think I needed to be up there so early, but yes, I have to be there at noon. So I have to leave SA, around 11am.
Wish it was earlier meeting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio