HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
holy smokes....thats one helluva pit, the webcam doesn't really convey the depth.
This hole is really deep. I walked by it a couple of days ago. I don't know if any of you remember, but when they were building The Paramount at Buckhead, that was one of the steepest holes I had seen. I thinks the hole at The Paramount is about 8 or 9 stories underground.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
This hole is really deep. I walked by it a couple of days ago. I don't know if any of you remember, but when they were building The Paramount at Buckhead, that was one of the steepest holes I had seen. I thinks the hole at The Paramount is about 8 or 9 stories underground.
The one where the W and 55 AP was pretty big also.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 9:35 PM

Construction Question

Whats that huge red thing they've been playing around with all day?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:40 PM

Is that crane sections I see arriving at the site?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:43 PM

looks like it! i coun't three sections surrounding the pit on the east, north and west sides.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:43 PM
Endless Moments...

Wow, i like how the buildings complement each other, with the street in between. Nice project...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 7:56 PM

I walked by the site yesterday. I noticed a base for 4 cranes and they were installing one of them on the Juniper side at the time.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 4:00 AM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I walked by the site yesterday. I noticed a base for 4 cranes and they were installing one of them on the Juniper side at the time.
4 more cranes.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 7:46 AM

A new rendering from http://www.rjtplusr.com Looking west down 12th St.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 2:35 PM

Can anyone comment on what’s happening at the site right now? There are a few cement mixer trucks that are parked on the South and East side but I can't tell if they are actually doing anything.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
Can anyone comment on what’s happening at the site right now? There are a few cement mixer trucks that are parked on the South and East side but I can't tell if they are actually doing anything.
This came up last week on a separate thread. The two portable boom cranes you see down in "the hole" are fitted with auger cast rigs, which are the long vertical devices you see suspended from the cranes. Each rig contains a continuous auger drill that looks to be about 80' long, and is used to drill deep, uncased holes which are then filled with steel rebar cages and concrete. Another forumer indicated that the 12th & Midtown foundation includes a large number of these "auger cast piles" -- so this process might take some time.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 4:15 PM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
A new rendering from http://www.rjtplusr.com Looking west down 12th St.

Ohhhhh now isn't that view loverly. Not only did they reduce the height of these buildings but now I can look forward to looking at this things @$$ every time I eat at Joe's. Grant it it's not the worst @$$ in the city but oh well.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrek777 View Post
Ohhhhh now isn't that view loverly. Not only did they reduce the height of these buildings but now I can look forward to looking at this things @$$ every time I eat at Joe's. Grant it it's not the worst @$$ in the city but oh well.
based on blueprint midtown and city zoning, 12th and midtown type developments are likely what you're going to see up and down juniper in the years to come. as long as the city, and midtown in particular, continue growing - quaint bars/pubs/resturaunts fashioned out of bungalows will likely loose out in favor of high density mixed use projects. in the long run, it will be a good thing.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 6:44 PM
(Oo=vw=oO) .:R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrek777 View Post
From the looks of things, it appears as though Joe's has been replaced with garden style apartment buildings.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 9:59 PM

I am sure within 2-3 years the block where Joe's sits will be completely redeveloped. Joe's could easily move into one of the new store front spaces created, this is what happens in real cities like New York, Chicago and San Francisco

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 10:04 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypkatl View Post
[edit]...in real cities like New York, Chicago and San Francisco
Sarcasm duly noted.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 10:13 PM

Well, If Atlanta wants to raise itself in the ranks it has to change in everyway. The problem with Atlanta is that it really is a small town with tall buildings. Its come a long way in the 3 years I have lived here, but has very far to come still

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 10:20 PM
Back on the road again

I understand the point you're making, but to characterize Atlanta as a "small town" is a bit of a stretch. As the core city of a metro area of 5.5 million, it certainly isn't a small town, by any measure whatsoever.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 10:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypkatl View Post
Well, If Atlanta wants to raise itself in the ranks it has to change in everyway. The problem with Atlanta is that it really is a small town with tall buildings. Its come a long way in the 3 years I have lived here, but has very far to come still
jaypkatl, I have been here for three years too. I feel the same way - small town with big buildings, but then again, that is why I think it is great too! I moved here from Washington DC and Atlanta just feels way smaller in relation to DC.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind_Phips View Post
jaypkatl, I have been here for three years too. I feel the same way - small town with big buildings, but then again, that is why I think it is great too! I moved here from Washington DC and Atlanta just feels way smaller in relation to DC.
Atlanta is a monstrous city, covering more area than the DC metro. I think the problem in Atlanta feeling "small" is the lack of a cohesive city fabric, something which DC has. Atlanta is little clusters scattered hither and yon that are slowly growing together. If things go the way they are and have been, DC will be a small town to someone from Atlanta in 50 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive