HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

501 Congress in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 1:03 AM
Apex Predator

This is exciting news.

A concern I have is the location. So this is proposed to be built on the north side of 5th between Congress and Brazos right? They would be cramming it between Frost and the BOA Center and really clump up those buildings. Isn't there a slightly more open zone available somewhere downtown? Frost Bank is a signature of the Austin skyline and this new tower would block it completely from UT and the entire northern part of the city. Also would they have to raze the lower portion of the BOA Center and adjoining parking garage there along 5th?

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 2:48 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonShallPerish View Post
This is exciting news.

A concern I have is the location. So this is proposed to be built on the north side of 5th between Congress and Brazos right? They would be cramming it between Frost and the BOA Center and really clump up those buildings. Isn't there a slightly more open zone available somewhere downtown? Frost Bank is a signature of the Austin skyline and this new tower would block it completely from UT and the entire northern part of the city. Also would they have to raze the lower portion of the BOA Center and adjoining parking garage there along 5th?
It isn't going to move and won't block Frost from UT.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 11:26 PM
Meh

The towers will be located on the east side of the block along Brazos. It'll be located where Bank of America Center's garage is and the Littlefield Quarters are.

The towers will not block the view of Frost from UT.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 3:45 AM
Apex Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The towers will be located on the east side of the block along Brazos. It'll be located where Bank of America Center's garage is and the Littlefield Quarters are.

The towers will not block the view of Frost from UT.
Ahh, ok so it's actually more 5th and Brazos rather than 5th and Congress like the articles say. Thanks for the info. Yeah that's better, but still too close to Frost IMO. They could build anywhere between 35 and Mopac and 12th to the river, so I'd still prefer a lot that spaces out the highrises more. I like how the Austonian, 360, W Austin, and Spring have enough spacing to get good visibility from most angles.

I'm excited about this no matter where they build it though.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 6:06 AM
Meh

So I think that's it for this project. But don't worry, I don't think we've heard the last for this block in downtown.

http://www.statesman.com/business/re...e-2438987.html
Quote:
Prime block in downtown Austin put on the market

By Shonda Novak

Published: 8:55 p.m. Monday, Aug. 20, 2012

In a rarity for Austin's real estate market, an entire city block at one of the city's most iconic downtown intersections Congress Avenue between East Sixth and East Fifth streets is now on the market.

The property — more than 2 acres of prime land where Austin developer Tom Stacy once planned an ambitious mixed-use tower — consists of the block at the southeast corner of Congress and Sixth, plus a half-block directly east on Fifth Street between Brazos Street and San Jacinto Boulevard. The offering includes the existing 26-story Bank of America tower.

Chicago-based Walton Street Capital and longtime partner Stacy have retained HFF to market the property.

Stacy had at one time envisioned a high-rise project on the site, and later two towers, but his plans never materialized. In recent years, Stacy received city of Austin approvals that allow for more than 1.65 million square feet of office, residential, retail and hotel to be built on the site, with no height restrictions, according to HFF.

Thou shall not indict

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive