HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 7:14 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg Urban Initiative

as Only The Lonely sujested

Is there anyone out there who might be interested in making a more formal / organized appeal on Jan 9th?

(I.E a letter writting campaign from SSP Winnipeg members to the Sun / Free Press. )

I still very much like the idea of organizing a grassroots , web savy urbanist league. We could reach out to other groups who have similiar interests like newwinnipeg and the transit riders union, etc.

------------

anyhow

i looked to find the old thread long gone... bah any one rember the name we agreed to last time?

lets not just let this die...

Only The Lonely
1ajs
jeff1987
Lee_Haber8
Smron
good_dude
j.online
biguc
rgalston
flatlander

so we need a name as i picked one winnipeg urban Initiative but that was just a copy cat of the CUI

umm did we want a private forum of some sort we could set up one for free that has adds and crap temp if nessary that only registerd users could read.

heres a forum to go into further discution feel free to register.
http://39721.rapidforum.com/

Last edited by 1ajs; Feb 15, 2007 at 10:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 7:56 AM

Sounds good! Count me in!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 8:01 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

The Urbanist League of Winnipeg..

Is what I believe was the name of the original group.

Fundamentally, I think the destruction of the small store fronts on Albert St. is a slippery slope. If that building goes, what's to stop the Ryan Block and the building behind the Grain Exchange from going next.

After a few years of piecemeal destruction you have nothing of the old neighbourhood left.

From the zoning meetings I have seen, council usually allows you to bring a few diagrams for your presentation.

It would be interesting to compile a list of photos of the various old historic buildings that have since made way for parking lots. I don't think people are aware of just how much of the built environment the downtown has lost over the last 30 years.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 8:10 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i changed the name on the forum to The Urbanist League of Winnipeg then

you should be able to instaly post on that forum

and i am going out to Brandon for 2 days leving in the moring..

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 8:27 AM
Capitalist

I am all for preventing yet more surface parking downtown, but I believe that if this project is taken from the property owner through some sort of government interferance at the last second it will cause more harm than good to the downtown. The reasoning being that it will add downside risk to purchasing land or building if you may be restricted in the future. Investors require predictable government regulations, or they will aviod investing altogether.

I would much rather see a pro development organization where under-utilized sites are promoted for utilization, or redevelopment. I realize that Centre-venture filled this roll to a certain degree, but only for city owned (abandoned) land and buildings.

I am sure we can do better than just another winer group...

Lets be proactive and direct efforts towards attracting more interest in downtown investment.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 8:37 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer
I am all for preventing yet more surface parking downtown, but I believe that if this project is taken from the property owner through some sort of government interferance at the last second it will cause more harm than good to the downtown. The reasoning being that it will add downside risk to purchasing land or building if you may be restricted in the future. Investors require predictable government regulations, or they will aviod investing altogether.

I would much rather see a pro development organization where under-utilized sites are promoted for utilization, or redevelopment. I realize that Centre-venture filled this roll to a certain degree, but only for city owned (abandoned) land and buildings.

I am sure we can do better than just another winer group...

Lets be proactive and direct efforts towards attracting more interest in downtown investment.
way i see it were pro development just not more surface lots

ass for this project i would love to see a sight plan as i am sorta confused
and rather base my opinion on fissical data then word of mouth articals.
i am trying to be very open mind and try and get away from the negitivaty witch is what i use photography to do so far its working

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 3:37 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Good luck with The Urbanist League guys, it has sort of a paramilitary feel to it! Well at least in name only ....so far.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 4:03 PM

what's your mission statement for this group?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 7:09 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

We haven't thought of one yet..afterall the group is only 9 posts old.

I think all of us would like to see a more 'urban' Winnipeg. Meaning we want to live in a green city with higher densities, better transit and improved opportunities for social contact that comes with having a richer street life.

As for my thoughts on the redevelopment of the hotel..

It isn't that we are so much for the unquestioned preservation of the albert street block, rather we're against the addition of another surface parking lot to a one of a kind neighbiourhood.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 7:12 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

New life for the St. Charles?
Future hinges on demolition of Exchange's oldest building

Thu Nov 23 2006

By Aldo Santin
DEVELOPERS want to demolish the oldest building in the Exchange District to make way for a surface parking lot and a major redevelopment of the neighbouring St. Charles Hotel.

Lawyer Ken Zaifman, who bought the rundown St. Charles Hotel with business partners a year ago, said he needs to demolish a historic property on Albert Street to ensure the hotel is redeveloped.

The project has raised concern within the city's heritage community, which strongly objects to demolishing historic properties for surface parking lots.

"We're saying that the redevelopment of the St. Charles (hotel) is more important to the Exchange District than simply preserving that old building," Zaifman said. "You can't have both -- we need to demolish the building to redevelop the hotel."

Coun. Jenny Gerbasi, chairwoman of the civic historical buildings committee, said the demolition would threaten the integrity and historic character of Albert Street and the entire Exchange District.

"I can't imagine anyone would consider demolishing a heritage building and replacing it with a surface parking lot," Gerbasi said.

Zaifman and his partners have passed the first hurdle in the project at 38-44 1/2 Albert St. Councillors on the Lord Selkirk-West Kildonan community committee voted 2-1 against a historical buildings committee recommendation to give the property, known as the Building Block, a Class III historic buildings designation. The historic designation would have prevented the property from being demolished. The committee's vote can be challenged at the property and development committee meeting in early January.

Area councillor Mike Paktaghan (Point Douglas) said he opposed giving the property a historic designation because its rundown condition doesn't warrant it. He said the issue of demolition will be decided once the developers of the St. Charles Hotel come up with a definitive plan on how the Albert Street property will be used.

Coun. Harry Lazarenko also opposed the historic designation. Coun. Mike O'Shaughnessy was the only one to vote in favour.

Zaifman said the redevelopment plans would see the building converted into a boutique hotel, with the entrance shifted from Notre Dame Avenue to Albert Street. If the neighbouring property is demolished, parking, a new entranceway and an outdoor patio would be added.

Part of the property on Albert Street, a two-storey home, was built in 1877 and a civic report states it is the oldest structure in the downtown area, after the Upper Fort Garry Gate. The rest of the property consists of a one-storey brick block, built in 1924, that surrounds the original home.

The property has contained a restaurant and tailor shop, but is in desperate need of repair. A spokesman for the property owner, Globe Agencies, said it's prepared to sign a long-term lease to Zaifman's group in support of his redevelopment plans, but has no plans for refurbishing the building if it isn't demolished.

A group that advocates for the preservation of heritage buildings in Winnipeg said Zaifman and his partners are making a good case for demolition. Cindy Tugwell of Heritage Winnipeg said the organization would normally oppose the demolition of a heritage building to make way for surface parking, but she realizes saving the Albert Street property would spell doom for the St. Charles Hotel.

"There is an obligation to look at the long-term viability of properties, not just saving them," Tugwell said.
Tugwell said the Heritage Winnipeg board will study the St. Charles Hotel redevelopment plans.

aldo.santin@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 7:20 PM
Change is good

Hey guys, this is a great idea. I suggest you take similar ideas from maybe the forum of www.connect2edmonton.com or something?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 7:23 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

i would suggest that if you are serious that 1ajs starts using a spellchecker. Otherwise it will be har dto be taken seriously - I don't think anyone is up for "genral discustion" with him

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 7:32 PM
Kevin Folds Five

hehe

our "what ever we wana call are selfs" should be "Whatever we want to call our selves"

In any case, good luck

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek
i would suggest that if you are serious that 1ajs starts using a spellchecker. Otherwise it will be har dto be taken seriously - I don't think anyone is up for "genral discustion" with him
Well, if he writes all official correspondence with a crayon, there is no real need for a spellchecker: "Deer mayur Cats..." The mayor's staff may even forward the letter to the mayor, believing (as I am often tempted to) that the author is six years old. Reading these boards has filled me with real apprehension about the educational system in Manitoba.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 7:56 PM
Round Head

Would you like formal association with CUI? It would be useful to exchange ideas in the future about what is working to further your cause. It sounds like the two groups have a similar idea behind them - to push for a better, more urban city. Not a huge fan of the "Urbanist League" name. Sound fairly pretentious. Just my opinion though.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 8:59 PM
Dreaming in Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek
I've given up trying to tell him to simply download the spell-check option located in this forum. He's too d@mn lazy to care, evidently.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 9:04 PM

Urbanist League sounds like something from DC or Marvel Comics...I think the title of this thread is the best name (though, some may confuse it with the new Nintendo when using the acronym "Wui" ;-)

BTW - Kevin, "our selves" is actually one word - ourselves.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 9:20 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

it could be an errant "s"
maybe he wants to talk about any elves we own

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 9:45 PM
Kevin Folds Five

The latest version of FireFox (www.getfirefox.com) has a built IN spell checker for all forms/text areas you use on the web.

No need for third party software.

Get firefox

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 9:48 PM
Community Guy

how about......wait for it......

Wii

screw you nintendo

Winnipeg (urban) Infrastructure Initiative

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan