HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Waterview Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 8:30 PM
The True Avatar

It should be a concrete tower like Trump. Most residential towers are constructed of concrete, I think because of fire dangers. Office structures tend to be steel framed.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenapolis View Post
It should be a concrete tower like Trump. Most residential towers are constructed of concrete, I think because of fire dangers. Office structures tend to be steel framed.
Concrete is also much better insulator against noise, which is probably more important in residential/hotel construction.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 9:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yes, noise transference is more of an issue in residential towers, where there are more likely to be situations when you have people creating a lot of noise and others in the building want quiet, hence more concrete usage for residential towers. however, steel framing can be used for residential towerrs and other methods of noise transference reduction can be employed.

also, reinforced concrete, with it's shorter strucutral bays, and hence denser column grid, is also easier to work a residential program into and around than a commercial office program, which requires large column free clear-span spaces, which steel framing is better suited to accomodate.

there is also the issue of the narrow height-to-width ration of this tower. all things being equal, a conventional reinforced concrete structural system will sway less in the wind, due to the inherent weight of the mass of the material, than a conventional steel framed strucutre.

as for the fire issue, both office and residntial highrises must meet stringent fire-saftey code requirements, so that is not a determinant factor in the use of concrete or steel. the one advantage concrete offers is that it is fire resistant by its own nature, whereas steel construction requires additional fire protective measures, such as spray applied fire proofing and other methods.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 9:23 PM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
When the new planned development was approved, it increased the number of condo units from 233 to 245. About 64% of the condos have been sold.

-The hotel condos are about 36% sold
Hmm, I'm not that very familiar with Chicago real estate, I have not been here that long enough to figure it out. Is it a cause for concern that only 64% has been sold as of now? Or, is that about normal or way above expectations?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 10:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ if that 64% figure is actually treu, then it sounds about right, things will be fine with this one, but sales reps are notorious liars. the reps at trump reported they were "around 70% sold" for nearly two years before the project finally got out of the ground.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
Concrete is also much better insulator against noise, which is probably more important in residential/hotel construction.
Another reason... Concrete is usually cheaper than steel but doesn't easily allow large column-free floor plates, which is an issue with office buildings, but not with condos.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 4:05 AM
Green Berniecrat

A few pictures I took today:

Last edited by Reminiscence; Mar 10, 2007 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 7:56 AM

Looks like they have a good 3 layers of raker beams all around the site. The build up process is not far off.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 4:47 PM
Registered

So finally, we might be at 0'0" by Emporis standards!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
So finally, we might be at 0'0" by Emporis standards!

The upper Wacker main entrance is Emporis' 0'-0" standard

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 1:00 AM

I decided to get up here today to see the view of the hole. . .

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 1:59 PM

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 7:17 PM

I think this bad boy is about to start moving vertical in a hurry.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown View Post
I think this bad boy is about to start moving vertical in a hurry.
That's awesome. 300 N. Lasalle looks like it's starting to go vertical too. They two should rise together. Should be sick!

-Hunter S. Thompson (click for full quote)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 9:31 PM

How long has it been since this building started construction? it seems this building and excavation have lasted a year almost now. WOW, this is a small site to have taken this long! can't wait to see this rise now!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy37 View Post
How long has it been since this building started construction? it seems this building and excavation have lasted a year almost now. WOW, this is a small site to have taken this long! can't wait to see this rise now!
It's because the site is so small that it has taken this long! Good things come in small packages as they say, or in this case small footprints!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 9:41 PM

From what I understand, there is about 7' of material that needs to be removed. I've heard that they would like to be finished with the excavation within the next week or 2.

Also, if anyone has noticed, the alley south of the site is settling quite a bit. In fact I've heard that it's settled nearly 1 foot.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Well, and questions currently about the height of this buildings now have been put to rest as far as I am concerned. Waterview Tower went back before the plan commission for a small increase in the FAR. The height of the building hasn't changed. They are planning to add 2 more hotel rooms per floor. After the meeting I asked about the views from the rooms, because that area faces the Transportation Building and The LaSalle Wacker. The reply was that Shangri;La officials figured if you can have a hotel room facing a blank wall in New York with no problems, why not here too? Or something to that affect. Afterwards, I became the proud owner the the presentation boards , which included a floor overview and nice rendering as you can see. They just gave me the boards, and I certainly appreciate that. Fuck, who are you kidding? I'm going to get these bitches framed when I get a chance.

Yes, that dude from the Union was there to oppose the project. Commissioner Natarus asked him if he realized that the building was already under-cxonstruction and he said yes. It was pretty much a non-issue.

Here's the floor overview for Waterview Tower. Those of you who bought units can now find out how high you are actually living.

I'm also sure that someone is going to comment that the diagram shows 88 floors. Well, if you count the mezzanine level 1M and the roof, then you get 90.
^Hey BVic, I just noticed that the diagram shows the 88th floor to be a mechanical floor, and that the top residential floor is shown to be 87. Also, the amenities level is shown here to be on the 28th floor, when it should actually be the the 29th floor. Therefore, the floors are off by 1. Does anyone have an explanation for this apparent inaccuracy? And what side of the building is being shown here? Cant see the bottom where it shows the elevation.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 3:23 AM
Crisp and Squishy

This is my favorite project going on in the US right now, so you can understand my frustration at this building's spot-on imitation of a snail running a marathon.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
^Hey BVic, I just noticed that the diagram shows the 88th floor to be a mechanical floor, and that the top residential floor is shown to be 87. Also, the amenities level is shown here to be on the 28th floor, when it should actually be the the 29th floor. Therefore, the floors are off by 1. Does anyone have an explanation for this apparent inaccuracy? And what side of the building is being shown here? Cant see the bottom where it shows the elevation.
Perhaps the finished building omits the 13th floor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive