HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 11:49 PM
菠蘿油

A winter afternoon walk through Montreal

Last Wednesday was sunny with fresh snow from the day before so I decided to take a walk with my camera. I basically did a loop around the western side of the Plateau Mont-Royal, so these photos are from just one part of town. In case you're curious, it was -8C (18F) that afternoon.

Also, pandemic context: Montreal is emerging from its second major lockdown. Retail shops just reopened last week, but bars and restaurants are still closed, work-from-home is mandatory and there is a nightly curfew at 8pm.

I started out on my street, Waverly, which is in the Mile End section of the Plateau.

After about 15 minutes I reached Jeanne-Mance Park at the foot of Mount Royal.

I then turned onto Duluth Street to head east towards Lafontaine Park.

People have been enjoying the parks this winter like I've never seen. This was a weekday afternoon, so you can imagine how packed the pond can be with weekend skaters. This is also the first winter I can recall people having picnics. If you're well dressed and it's sunny out, having a couple of beers outdoors is surprisingly fun!

Cherrier and Berri – a little cluster of highrises built next to Sherbrooke metro station in the 1970s.

Heading north up St-Denis Street, which now has separated cycle tracks in each direction. There are more and more winter cyclists every year.

This is the Van Horne Viaduct, which was built in the 1970s to link Van Horne Street with Rosemont Boulevard.

Back down to street level. This skate park opened under the viaduct in 2019.

My local bagel shop is normally open 24 hours, but it started closing at midnight at the start of the pandemic. And now it closes at 7:30pm because of the curfew.

That's all! I picked up some groceries and went home. But here's a handful of other shots from the past month.

This was my backyard about a month ago. We haven't had any days above freezing since then, and it's been snowing a lot, so imagine this but with the snow nearly to the top of that little shrub on the right.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos