HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 4:02 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Hmmm. I think they looking a new stadium by outside downtown Phoenix. I think it will be at Loop 101 East or further west. That's my guess.
No way voters are going to approve a new stadium deal at this point and the Dbacks ownership will not fund their own new arena which would substantially expensive exceeding 700 million if started in a few years....maybe more. The best alternative is to reduce the seating capacity and make improvements and repairs to Chase to make the stadium viable for another 15-20 years. After that, I can see support for a new stadium.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 2:55 PM
High Voltage

Rats

I was hoping that Phoenix would be in the top running for the next two expansions. Actually, I thought we were were. This is an excellent market for MLS. Just look at Phoenix Rising attendence records as a reference. We can still hold out hope, though.

From the article:

https://amp.si.com/soccer/2019/04/18...nsion-30-teams

"Sacramento, St. Louis Among Leading Candidates After MLS Announces Expansion to 30 Teams

Following the league’s board of governors meeting Thursday afternoon in Los Angeles, MLS announced its commitment to expand to 30 clubs “in the coming years." There currently are 24 teams, with another three coming aboard soon: Inter Miami and Nashville SC next year and Austin FC in 2021.

The two heavy favorites for slots No. 28 and 29 are Sacramento Republic, which has been vying for a spot since entering the USL in 2014, and St. Louis.

“No official decision was made on future expansion markets, but the Commissioner’s office was authorized to advance discussions with Sacramento and St. Louis ownership groups regarding their bid,” MLS said, adding that both investor groups will make another “formal presentation” to the league’s expansion committee regarding the details of their respective bids.....

Charlotte, Phoenix, Raleigh, Detroit, San Diego and Indianapolis are among those cities whose expansion hopes may be rekindled thanks to Thursday’s announcement."

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 3:06 PM
Modulator

Just posted this in the General Discussion thread since it doesn't really pertain to Phoenix Rising specifically. But I think MLS has decided on adding the 2 spots due to the competitiveness between St. Louis, Sacramento and Phoenix. I think we will definitely get the #30 spot.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Other then the fake grass, which helps them get more money for outside events, as it easier to deal with, and is cheaper then regular grass to maintain, they didn't do jack to improve the stadium even though they had a plethora of things they were bitching about, that they claimed needed repair, but then when it flipped to their responsibility, as part of getting out of the lease, they did jack. I would say that may be a tell, as they say in poker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
Do you have a legitimate source or is this speculation?
Fawd - here's the article to what phoenix is talking about...
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ld/2817491002/

Yeah I thought that was kind of weird that no repairs have been done since they took over repairs for Chase Field, but I wouldn't read much into that yet. If another 1-2 years of no major repairs, then yes I would agree with you that the proof is in the pudding at that point. Adding the synthetic grass goes a long way and I figured once they took ownership of booking events, that many big time events would take place to bring in additional money towards said repairs.

I should add that the DBacks are doing their due diligence and recently completed studies to look at how they can increase the retail footprint around Chase Field (around Jefferson & 4th Streets). I guess this could be interpreted in different ways as well...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ow/2957273002/
Quote:
Retrofitting Chase Field also would take a good chunk of time, especially if the team decides to blow out walls or seats, Hall said.

"How are you going to do it so it doesn't impact the season?" he said. "There are a lot of challenges and a lot of time involved with anything we decide to do."

Retrofitting Chase Field would mean building on a smaller plot of land, Hall said. But there could be limited room to grow.

"There's some land west, south, a little bit north," he said, including a parking garage the team shares with the Phoenix Suns, a plaza by Game 7 Grill and a strip in front of Mountainside Fitness. "There's been some designs that have been shown to us to incorporate the land around the 25 acres. It only goes out another 10 to 15 acres. ... We haven't inquired with the city or any owners for what the plans are for any buildings or lots."

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 12:33 AM

All the noise about repairs was mostly about control. At least they are doing their home work with respect to Chase Field. At the end of the day it will be a choice of staying downtown or N830MH's idea of moving near the 101. I assume, as politico's would say: "Nothing is off the table" at this point.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 2:49 PM

Just for discussion sake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Fawd - here's the article to what phoenix is talking about...
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ld/2817491002/

Yeah I thought that was kind of weird that no repairs have been done since they took over repairs for Chase Field, but I wouldn't read much into that yet. If another 1-2 years of no major repairs, then yes I would agree with you that the proof is in the pudding at that point. Adding the synthetic grass goes a long way and I figured once they took ownership of booking events, that many big time events would take place to bring in additional money towards said repairs.

I should add that the DBacks are doing their due diligence and recently completed studies to look at how they can increase the retail footprint around Chase Field (around Jefferson & 4th Streets). I guess this could be interpreted in different ways as well...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ow/2957273002/
I am just of course speculating trying to read between the lines by their actions. I would love to see them stay downtown but they do seem to want a more intimate stadium which means not just covering seats with vinyl. I would thnk there would have to be a major rehab done to create that intimate ballpark maybe chopping off a section inside and having an office building or hotel inside like Montreal use to have but not sure that would even do it. Still guessing but I think they end up in North Scottsdale on the res., because in the end with these sports teams, it's all about the Benjamins, and they could probably care less what it does to creating or maintaining synergy downtown unless it benefits their pocket books.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
All the noise about repairs was mostly about control. At least they are doing their home work with respect to Chase Field. At the end of the day it will be a choice of staying downtown or N830MH's idea of moving near the 101. I assume, as politico's would say: "Nothing is off the table" at this point.
Yes, if they moved near Loop 101 East & Pima Rd or Hayden Rd. That won't be affected.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 4:19 AM

Quote:
I am just of course speculating trying to read between the lines by their actions.
Just making sure your source isnt better than mine (yours would have had to come from Hall basically).

And, of course, I could have been fed a a bunch of bull - I don't work for the franchise internally. BUT my last conversion with the dbacks regarding the stadium reno pointed to them staying downtown long term. (Couple weeks ago).

In fact, they are staffing up for regular events beyond baseball.

Last edited by fawd; Apr 23, 2019 at 4:35 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
Just making sure your source isnt better than mine (yours would have had to come from Hall basically).

And, of course, I could have been fed a a bunch of bull. BUT my last conversion with the dbacks regarding the stadium reno pointed to them staying downtown long term. (Couple weeks ago).

In fact, they are staffing up for regular events beyond baseball.
Boom! I knew it Anyways hoping ur source is right. Did your source share any other info like the type of reno work they were planning on doing?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 4:32 AM

Quote:
I think the D'Backs are already working out a deal with the Pima Tribe in Scottsdale to build a more intimate dome stadium in North Scottsdale, where the majority of their season ticket holders are from, and that they will walk out on Chase Field at the firs moment they can legally do so without getting sued.
Time will tell but I think I am correct about this.
And dont mean to be confrontational, but this is a VERY bold statement for someone simply reading in between the lines of a couple articles.

Also: where are you getting this statistic that MOST season ticket holders are from North Scottsdale?

Your 'average season ticket holder' is actually held by corporations, companies, and small businesses. Typically used for employee benefit & clients.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Boom! I knew it Anyways hoping ur source is right. Did your source share any other info like the type of reno work they were planning on doing?
No specific conversation beyond technological upgrades and associated staff for events. And a weird conversation about the stadiums air conditioning, but that's out of my wheelhouse.. ha!

Last edited by fawd; Apr 23, 2019 at 4:49 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 4:42 AM

Quote:
All the noise about repairs was mostly about control.
This is correct. The Diamondbacks staff (everything from marketing to the team) couldnt touch the field, concourses, etc for official business UNLESS it was gameday - none of it was theirs to use. And it's not like the facility was being used for anything beyond baseball.

Want to shoot a commercial? Nope. Want to do something for social media? Negative. Would be a cool perk for a high paying sponsor to use the facility for a promo? No. Team wants to whack a couple balls? Couldn't do that either...

And, of course, there is the financial benefit of being able to book events.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:03 AM

Phoenix Suns head coach Igor Kokoskov fired tonight. He just only for one-season.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...on/3546878002/

Good riddance to him!!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:09 AM

I think that will prove to be a mistake.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I think that will prove to be a mistake.
Suns have bigger problems, ha!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:23 AM

I don't think many problems are bigger than stunting the development of the players by giving them a new coach every year. I really am thinking about cancelling my tickets but I don't want to lose my place if they ever get good.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:56 AM

Quote:
. I really am thinking about cancelling my tickets but I don't want to lose my place if they ever get good.
You're probably right, actually.

With Zion a possibility and 87-241 over the past 4 seasons - now could be the time to conmitt!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 6:31 AM

Quote:
I don't think many problems are bigger than stunting the development of the players by giving them a new coach every year. I really am thinking about cancelling my tickets but I don't want to lose my place if they ever get good.
Life goes on but Kokoskov sure inherited a mess. According to Gambo et al after the all-star break it became evident that players were finally figuring out how coach wanted them to play, gained confidence and played much better at season's end.

Apparently they want to pursue Monty Williams. He's well-regarded and a mighty fine human being who left NOLA as their head coach after his wife's untimely death in a car crash broke his heart and he wanted to be there for his kids.

@wojespn
Follow Follow @wojespn
Phoenix has fired coach Igor Kokoskov, league sources tell ESPN.
9:43 PM - 22 Apr 2019

@wojespn
Follow Follow @wojespn
Suns had planned to bring Kokoskov back for a second season, especially after the team's stronger play in late stages of the season. Kokoskov has been a well-respected tactician who becomes another victim of the constant turnover in Phoenix. 9:50 PM - 22 Apr 2019

@wojespn
Here's a factor in the timing of Kokoskov's dismissal: The Suns are planning to target Philadelphia 76ers assistant Monty Williams, league sources tell ESPN. Lakers are planning a second interview with Williams soon, sources said. 9:54 PM - Apr 22, 2019

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 6:40 AM

Details of Suns arena improvements plan revealed
Apr 22, 2019 By Keith M. Scheessele - BSotS

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Details of Suns arena improvements plan revealed
Apr 22, 2019 By Keith M. Scheessele - BSotS
Nice! HOK is really strong when it comes to stadiums: https://www.hok.com/design/type/spor...entertainment/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest