HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 10:25 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

The Schipol train station in Amsterdam has these awesome ramp escalators that are really easy to use with luggage.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 10:36 PM

I'm getting the feeling that a number of people are peeved she was picked, but not for any really defensible reason. Hence that whiny Kamin screed about how we need to not have escalators in an airport already FULL of them.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 2:20 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
I agree. He fails to note that every. single. design. required escalators and elevators because O'Hare has at least 3 levels of infrastructure and that doesn't even include the CTA. There is no getting around that. Baggage Claim and pick-ups HAVE to go on the lower level. Drop-offs HAVE to enter on the upper level. Parking and CTA HAVE to use the skybridge on the 3rd level or the underground tunnel.
Yeah, Kamin's take is definitely the take of a dude who takes cabs and Ubers to the airport all the time.

"Wait, you mean I can't go from my private car to my first class plane seat all on one level? How barbaric!!"

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Do you really believe any of these details are settled at this point? This is why I'm sick of Kamin, he should know that there are YEARS worth of actual design work to be done here. These are conceptual renderings, not bid drawings, the real design is just about to start.
Plus, I was just in Madrid's airport--considered by many to be a top 10 current design--and to get from jet to luggage you simply must use elevators or several long, long escalators. I was immediately reminded of Gang's design, with the long, elevated sterile corridor to customs. They have these huge elevators that look big enough to accommodate a small theater stage and I noticed that most crew took them instead of the escalators.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 5:08 PM

ORD Springtime airline equipment change news:

Finnair is back using their A330's on service to ORD from Helsinki.

British Airways A380 is back on the London route.

Iberia will upgrade to a A350 next month.

Lufthansa has already upgraded 1 flight to the A350.

KLM is now using the 787 9 on Chicago route along with 777-300 and 747.

TAP starts service June 1st with A330 service to Lisbon

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post

I didn’t realize the 773, I thought it was the 772. Please post some pics of the 300 at ORD as I have not seen it there.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 12:54 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
Plus, I was just in Madrid's airport--considered by many to be a top 10 current design--and to get from jet to luggage you simply must use elevators or several long, long escalators. I was immediately reminded of Gang's design, with the long, elevated sterile corridor to customs. They have these huge elevators that look big enough to accommodate a small theater stage and I noticed that most crew took them instead of the escalators.
Though I haven't been to Madrid I imagine that it will resemble the most to Gangs new terminal than maybe any other in the world primarily because of Madrid's Terminal 4? bamboo wood roof which makes it very distinct.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbud View Post
I didn’t realize the 773, I thought it was the 772. Please post some pics of the 300 at ORD as I have not seen it there.
Actually, it's 777-300ER aircraft. Soon, KLM 747-400M will be retired. Replaces to 77W or 787-9 Dreamliner.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 12:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Rare chance to see this goliath. Seeing they are pretty much obsolete.

Chicago O’Hare

The BA A380 will fly to Chicago O’Hare daily on flights BA213 & BA212 for the summer season from Sunday 31 March 2019 to Saturday 26 October 2019.

Will BA order more Airbus A380s?

This decision rests with BA’s parent company, International Airlines Group. It has options for a further 7 aircraft, which it has not yet exercised.
IAG had expressed an interest in leasing second hand Airbus A380s, but nothing has come of this. ...

https://londonairtravel.com/2019/01/...bus-a380-2019/

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 12:37 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

So I think I remember reading somewhere saying that Emanuel wanted to select the full O'hare expansion designs before he leaves office, including the mid-field terminals. I also thought I remember reading where the would essentially be a consolation prize for those who didn't win the main terminal design.

So provided that Gang's designs would be out of the running what designs for the mid-field terminals would people like to see win out?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 5:26 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
Madrid's airport is crazy spread out. It's absurdly inconvenient for it's size.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I'm looking this thing over on google maps and it's absurdly inconvenient for any size. Looks they started off with a set of 60s-70s style curvilinear terminals and two crossing runways on the south end, and then instead of replacing them like like any sane planner they build a new 80s-90s style concourse with a mid-field satellite just to the north. Except there were already a set of roadways in the way so instead of moving them they built the satellite concourse an absurd distance away. So now you have three widely spread out terminal complexes that make transfers needlessly difficult.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I agree. That's one of the reason's I suspect that Gang's design won. With the gates lining a wedge-shaped terminal, it's easy to get right to the gate from the retail/dining space or to gain egress to Terminals 1 or 3, without having to walk down a long spur.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 9:13 AM

Asiana Airlines Cuts Chicago, Other Unprofitable Routes

This is a bit of a blow to what has been a rather good year for ORD. I wonder if United may consider taking up this route seeing as Asiana is a fellow Star Alliance member?

"Asiana Airlines will be discontinuing their flight between Seoul Incheon and Chicago as of October 27, 2019."

https://onemileatatime.com/asiana-ai...chicago-route/

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
Asiana Airlines Cuts Chicago, Other Unprofitable Routes

This is a bit of a blow to what has been a rather good year for ORD. I wonder if United may consider taking up this route seeing as Asiana is a fellow Star Alliance member?

"Asiana Airlines will be discontinuing their flight between Seoul Incheon and Chicago as of October 27, 2019."

https://onemileatatime.com/asiana-ai...chicago-route/
Although the passenger flights may be unprofitable they will keep the cargo routes. I am not sure what their load factors(to lazy to check) are but they do have direct competition on the route from Korean Air. If the below comment is 100% accurate I would look for a Korean flight aircraft upgrade, maybe to a 7478I again or even a A380.

Quote:

Asiana is in financial trouble, because of the mother group Kumho. They are cutting the Seoul-Chicago route, not because the occupancy rate is too low to make profit, since it has average of 80% of occupancy, but because their occupancy rate for SFO and LAX is average of 90%, so Chicago route is not so profitable compare to LAX and SFO route. Another reason is there is severe competition with Korean Air for Chicago route. So they want to cut it after summer high season, when so many Korean students return to US schools.

Last edited by F1 Tommy; May 1, 2019 at 12:14 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Although the passenger flights may be unprofitable they will keep the cargo routes. I am not sure what their load factors(to lazy to check) are but they do have direct competition on the route from Korean Air. If the below comment is 100% accurate I would look for a Korean flight aircraft upgrade, maybe to a 7478I again or even a A380.

Quote:

Asiana is in financial trouble, because of the mother group Kumho. They are cutting the Seoul-Chicago route, not because the occupancy rate is too low to make profit, since it has average of 80% of occupancy, but because their occupancy rate for SFO and LAX is average of 90%, so Chicago route is not so profitable compare to LAX and SFO route. Another reason is there is severe competition with Korean Air for Chicago route. So they want to cut it after summer high season, when so many Korean students return to US schools.
You can ask Chicago Aviation fans on Facebook group. Go for it! They will tell you why.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 2:28 PM

When will construction start

Don't see any specific time lines on the ORD21 website about when specific phases will start.

Was at O'Hare yesterday and still don't see anything starting over by Terminal 5. Anyone know when they'll actually start work on the extension to Terminal 5?

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 12:42 PM

Not ORD or MDW news but Chicago-Rockford Intl, Pinnacle/Amazon is adding another 500 jobs.

https://www.mystateline.com/news/pin...obs/2005137131
Chicago Bears, Super Bowl Champs 1985.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockfordSoxFan View Post
Not ORD or MDW news but Chicago-Rockford Intl, Pinnacle/Amazon is adding another 500 jobs.

https://www.mystateline.com/news/pin...obs/2005137131
Good news for northern Illinois. High cost ramp leases and landing fees(Chicago is the highest BIG airport for landing fees in the country) make this seem like a good move and plan. Rockford is becoming Chicago's 3rd airport(or 4th if you count Milwaukee)

Now all we need is a regional airport authority to take over control of all three airports like they do in every other big city metro area in the USA so they can work together rather than against each other.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Good news for northern Illinois. High cost ramp leases and landing fees(Chicago is the highest BIG airport for landing fees in the country) make this seem like a good move and plan. Rockford is becoming Chicago's 3rd airport(or 4th if you count Milwaukee)

Now all we need is a regional airport authority to take over control of all three airports like they do in every other big city metro area in the USA so they can work together rather than against each other.
I would love to see Rockford gain more popularity for discount carriers. I think RFD would be a great option for Spirit, Southwest, Sun Country, or Frontier to expand their Chicago-area services.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation