HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertwinalpha View Post
Totally missed your post. I agree I personally would prefer they stay where they are, but I can't help but think this delay coinciding with the recent article on Aramark's interest in this location may mean they are reworking the plans for them. As you say, time will tell.
I wouldn't. I'd rather see Market West and University city/Drexel Development/Schuylkill Yards 'happen' and happen on an accelerated timeline than Market East develop quickly. The East Market development at 11th and 12th, the Gallery revamp, and the reinvigoration with numerous smaller businesses (i.e. the creatives heading to the design center) are great things. If it takes longer for a true corporate presence to develop there, I'm ok with it.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 1:50 AM

From the CCRA website:

Quote:
A neighborhood meeting will be held to elicit comments on plans proposed for 2402 Market, the former " Marketplace Design Center". The parcel is currently zoned CMX 4, a commercial mixed use classification which permits a 500 FAR (floor area ratio) so that the project's square footage can amount to 5 times the lot size. The existing structure is 5 stories in height and, according to the developer, contains 268,000 square feet. The plans call for a 20 story tower rising from the fifth floor which will contain 313 residential units. The podium comprises about 34,000 sq. ft. of restaurants and retail at street level. Floors 2-8 contain 373,000 sq. ft. of office space with floor-to-ceiling windows. Floors 9-20 will house 313 luxury apartments (including 1,2,and 3 bedroom units, lounges, roof terraces, and fitness center).

A newly constructed riverfront promenade, landscaped for public use, will connect Market and Chestnut Streets to accommodate outdoor dining and recreation, along with street level improvements around the building. The existing building's façade will receive a fresh brick upgrade which accommodates larger, floor to ceiling, energy-efficient windows. Parking will be provided in an adjacent garage.

The Department of Licenses and inspections has determined that the plans conform to CMX 4 strictures so the project may be built "of right".
The meeting is May 19th. I assume this will take place before the May 31st Civic Design Review meeting which I'm sure this project will be on the agenda of.

http://www.centercityresidents.org/event-2240236

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 12:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
From the CCRA website:

The meeting is May 19th. I assume this will take place before the May 31st Civic Design Review meeting which I'm sure this project will be on the agenda of.

http://www.centercityresidents.org/event-2240236
the concept sounds good, thats for sure.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 3:06 AM

5/17/16

A ton of work going on inside

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 2:37 PM
BANNED

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 3:53 PM

^^ Thanks. If they don't 1900 Arch the materials this could look pretty good. I still would prefer two slender towers on the base to the Great Wall of the Schuylkill. However, the setbacks on the river side may make this seem less monolithic in reality. I wonder if they could also do some setbacks on the Market and Chestnut sides? That might help too. I don't know whether there's leeway to add a little height to make up for that.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 4:01 PM
BANNED

well let's see how the CDR committee responds to this. Its definitely a unique looking structure for Philly. Not cookie cutter or forgettable. I like all the green roofing and the set backs.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
well let's see how the CDR committee responds to this. Its definitely a unique looking structure for Philly. Not cookie cutter or forgettable. I like all the green roofing and the set backs.
I agree. I like those aspects too. I'm all for the project. I'm just getting nit-picky about preferences. This can work if they can break up the what has a bulky appearance on paper. A few zigs here and zags there might make all the difference. The National Constitution Center looks far less bulky than it is, for example, thanks to the various angles and curves that interrupt straight walls.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 4:37 PM

Shorter tower now planned for old Marketplace Design Center site

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...nter_site.html

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Shorter tower now planned for old Marketplace Design Center site

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...nter_site.html

In this case that's a good thing...I still can't get into this one, the location is too prime for an oblong rectangle box. I know they have different levels and materials, and kudos to them for making it interesting, but it still looks like a supersized KOP office building.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
In this case that's a good thing...I still can't get into this one, the location is too prime for an oblong rectangle box. I know they have different levels and materials, and kudos to them for making it interesting, but it still looks like a supersized KOP office building.
I'm not informed enough to know whether there are structural/zoning issues preventing two towers. If there aren't, it just fits PMC's m/o to go for what costs less all around.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 5:08 PM

7 floors of office space? I guess Aramark isn't moving in.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
7 floors of office space? I guess Aramark isn't moving in.
I was thinking about that too. Maybe the floors are massive enough?

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 5:32 PM

This looks a LOT better a bit shorter, the proportions are just better. Dare I say I even like it? It's really quite unique and will be another good addition along the Schuylkill. If the materials are good, build it!!

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; May 18, 2016 at 5:54 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I was thinking about that too. Maybe the floors are massive enough?
The CDR submission breaks out the uses by square footage, and pegs the office space at 344,000 square feet (it's a massive site, so the floorplates are somewhere in the 60,000 sf range, 2-3 times the standard size in a market street office building). At that size, I don't think we can rule out Aramark, especially accounting for more efficient interior layouts in the new building.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 5:52 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
It looks so disjointed. Like you can tell one is stacked on top of the other. I was hoping for another sleek design clad in high quality glass and aluminum. Maybe keep the width as is for the existing structure and re-clad, but build two slender towers on top and connect them with a sky bridge. To have the river be lined with towers would be awesome and this would certainly add to it if it was done. Therefore, current design iteration is a thumbs down.

Last edited by iheartphilly; May 18, 2016 at 6:13 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 5:59 PM

The article calls out a change of 3 floors, but the drawing still shows the same top 12 floors built now over what look like a new 2 floor base instead of a 3 floor base. Am I missing something?

If this is built as shown I'm glad for the change to a lighter color paneling, it doesn't jump out so much.

Personally I'd be ok with adding 4 or 5 full floors if the rest of the program was all packed into 1 or 2 towers. I know nothing about the cost for such a change, but this is one place, right next to the river where I think any extra height would pay off in rent prices.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 6:36 PM

Did anyone notice on page 21 that 2324 Market is marked "Existing Building to be Demolished"? However, you can see it in the north elevation on page 45. I wonder why that building would need to go.

Here is a street view of it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/23...178751!6m1!1e1

Last edited by wondertwinalpha; May 19, 2016 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 7:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
The CDR submission breaks out the uses by square footage, and pegs the office space at 344,000 square feet (it's a massive site, so the floorplates are somewhere in the 60,000 sf range, 2-3 times the standard size in a market street office building). At that size, I don't think we can rule out Aramark, especially accounting for more efficient interior layouts in the new building.
We really dont know how official those aramark rumors were. I sincerely doubt they would consider an experimental location like this. I suspect they will end up at BNY or stay put. Maybe Liberty Place if it has enough room.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
It looks so disjointed. Like you can tell one is stacked on top of the other. I was hoping for another sleek design clad in high quality glass and aluminum. Maybe keep the width as is for the existing structure and re-clad, but build two slender towers on top and connect them with a sky bridge. To have the river be lined with towers would be awesome and this would certainly add to it if it was done. Therefore, current design iteration is a thumbs down.
2 separate towers adds a ton of additional costs. 2 elevator cores and two central plumbing/electrical stacks just for starters.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive