HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
Some fantastic infill, especially for Kensington.
Nice project, looks like it might be this lot here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9732...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
I’m not so sure commercial space would work here, at this point in time at least. I think more residential density in the area would need to come first to support the commercial space.
I wonder if anything built here would have the first fl. sitting in a flood plain? If not and commercial doesn't work then what do you do with the 1st fl., just more apartments? Who would want to rent that type of apartment.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 9:21 PM

Just a few observations about Francisville and the surrounding area:

1.) Two new businesses opened up along the 1500 block of Ridge. There's a new drug store at 1526 Ridge Avenue, and a new CasualLuxury clothing store at 1534 Ridge Avenue. I also believe that something is preparing to open along the south side of the 1600 block, as I saw a retail space being worked on.

2.) Yet another project broke ground along the 1500 block of Ridge! I believe that the address is 1533 Ridge Avenue, but I'd have to confirm. Furthermore, I believe that this is the lot that has signage proclaiming it to be the future spot of a new Pizzeria Vetri location!

3.) This isn't happening in Francisville, but it's right across Broad Street.

About two weeks ago, some major changes have occurred at the NE corner of Broad and Girard: the BP gas station has permanently closed, and the pumps have all been removed! What are the chances that something big could happen here? I imagine the zoning around Broad and Girard is all CMX-4, so something major could be built there. Also, while there is a McDonald's located within the same complex as the shuttered BP store, it is easily among the worst locations in the city.

4.) Again, not Francisville, but nearby: the 1300 block of North Broad looks much different than it did a few years ago. On the west side of the block, The Nest (1324 N. Broad) is complete and a new building has been rising next to the Sunoco for some time. On the eastern side, the Laborer's District Council building is nearly complete. Once the Blue Horizon project finally starts, that block will have a new kind of energy!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:31 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post

About two weeks ago, some major changes have occurred at the NE corner of Broad and Girard: the BP gas station has permanently closed, and the pumps have all been removed! What are the chances that something big could happen here? I imagine the zoning around Broad and Girard is all CMX-4, so something major could be built there. Also, while there is a McDonald's located within the same complex as the shuttered BP store, it is easily among the worst locations in the city.
I know what's going there. I'll save you some anticipation and tell you that's it's not that exciting.

Speaking of Francisville, I got a glimpse of the plans for the People for People/Greater Exodus properties. Can't go into detail but it looks pretty good.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
I know what's going there. I'll save you some anticipation and tell you that's it's not that exciting.
Anything is better than that McDonald's/BP combo. It's a gross McDonald's and that corner gets real dirty.

Quote:
Speaking of Francisville, I got a glimpse of the plans for the People for People/Greater Exodus properties. Can't go into detail but it looks pretty good.
I always thought this block was destined for redevelopment since Michael B Jordan's character lived there in Creed.

I love the mix of architecture of this block

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:24 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post

I always thought this block was destined for redevelopment since Michael B Jordan's character lived there in Creed.
I toured that building recently, it's beat up and heavily altered but a lot of the old details are still there. The apartments inside range from super tiny to mega gigantic. The Greater Exodus/PFP development will be on the surrounding parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
I love the mix of architecture of this block
Tire Row! A subset of Automobile Row. Later known as Coin Machine Row.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:39 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^^^
Re: the link above....

Some of the buildings on Broad Street look so regal. Harkens back to the days when some wealthy residents lived in them. Also, fun fact....Broad St is one of the longest Blvd in the US.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 9:23 PM

I walked by a couple of other lowrise buildings

2100 Hamilton is getting closer to coming out of the hole.

Full Size

Should have walked across the street to take a picture, but The Stable Loft redevelopment looks done.

Full Size

Also noticed that the Subway/Tire place at 545 N. Broad Street is closed

Proposed Development there

The building across the street from 1300 Fairmount on Ridge Ave. looks done now too.

Full Size

Full Size

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 4:20 PM
Me?!?

Developer of Philly’s priciest condo to demolish and remake Rittenhouse landmark

A beloved Sansom Street building once likened to a Spanish Renaissance hacienda, and formerly home to Rittenhouse Coffee Shop is set to be demolished and painstakingly reconstructed.

The building’s owner, Southern Land Company, had promised to preserve the 1904 Sansom St. landmark as part of a larger development project set to bring the most expensive condos in city history to market. But now the company says the historic structure is unstable and needs to be completely demolished in order for a functional building to rise on the site. The plan, company officials say, will honor an agreement to preserve the historic structure brokered during negotiations over the development of their $300 million ultra-luxe tower, called the Laurel.

Southern Land says the reinvented coffee shop building will become affordable apartments.

https://whyy.org/articles/developer-...ouse-landmark/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 3:22 AM

Swanky. Fishtown adding a dinner theatre. Looks awesome.

https://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/20...wn-first-look/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 2:02 PM

Quote:

Not sure what is going there but the permits have been issued to demo everything existing.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
Not sure what is going there but the permits have been issued to demo everything existing.
People for People always puts oppressively stupid limitations on its buildings. Ever wonder why JBJ Soul Homes can never fill its commercial vacancies after 5 years, or why it has no commercial fronting Fairmount ave? There is your answer.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 9:25 PM

Quote:

As an update to my earlier post about the NE corner of Broad and Girard, I saw heavy equipment on site today. I know you said that whatever is planned here isn't going to be exciting but can you tell us if it has a residential/mixed-use component? I would love nothing more than to see more foot traffic at the NE, NW (KFC/Checker's site), and SW (CVS site) corners.

I can't wait to see what People for People has in store for the huge lot! I walked past it yesterday and couldn't help but realize how big of a gap that a huge development there would fill! It currently feels as though there is a huge gap between the 1500 block of Ridge and Broad Street.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 5:52 PM
Philly Pholly

"Broad Street Picking Up Four Mansions Next to Brandywine Workshop instead of 33 apartments and a restaurant on the first floor."
Sorry if this was posted already...

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...CriG5iesd9VQLM

728 S Broad Street

728 S Broad Street 2

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 5:55 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I like this. Comes out to about $489 bucks per square foot. Elavator from ground to 5th floor too. Not bad at all...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
I like this. Comes out to about $489 bucks per square foot. Elavator from ground to 5th floor too. Not bad at all...
Are those hot tubs on the top floor exterior balcony?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 6:23 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
It sure looks it. But not a lot of privacy for hot tub stuff...LOL.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 7:18 PM

New developments on Broad street, especially that close to center city should be of much higher density in my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 7:41 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
There are a few projects off Broad St. as previously mentioned (e.g., Broad/Pine, Broad/Lombard, Broad/Washington) that will have higher density. I actually like the mix of projects off Broad St (high, medium, and low density). This is actually one of the few low density that I've heard of recently.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
There are a few projects off Broad St. as previously mentioned (e.g., Broad/Pine, Broad/Lombard, Broad/Washington) that will have higher density. I actually like the mix of projects off Broad St (high, medium, and low density). This is actually one of the few low density that I've heard of recently.
I do not agree. There are plenty of appropriate spots for single family homes, even nearby. But not this. It's not the end of the world, but I don't think there should be any single family homes on Broad this close to the Lombard/South stop of the Broad Street line. And there is no retail or restaurant use obviously. And now one is foreclosed.

These kind of projects -- that forever close the door to retail and restaurant uses on a major artery -- make it harder to pull some of Center City's energy south. That's the goal of Friends of Avenue of the Arts and what we're trying to do all the way down to Washington.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development