HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 6:14 AM
The City

Is there any role for gargoyles in modernist architecture?

Call this a silly question, but I'm serious.

That's one of my problems with modernist buildings, they sometimes are very boring in their insistence on simplistic form=function.

But is it conceivable to devise a gargoyle in a modernist building, or is that a betrayal of the whole idea of "modernism"? If it is conceivable, what would a modernist gargoyle look like? Seems like ever since Art Deco (Chrysler Building), gargoyles haven't found their footing. Will they ever make a comeback?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 12:28 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Well, one of the things about modernism is the elimination of ornamentation, therefore the whole gargoyle thing is a contradiction.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 7:24 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Art Deco was the last vestige of the Beaux Arts movement.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 8:24 PM

Do you mean gargoyles strictly, falling under a particular historical and artistic description? Or do you mean ornamentation in general?

I certainly think there is room in modern designs for some sort of ornamentation, but not Modern designs. Modernism imparts functionalism into designs and eliminates any auxiliary aesthetic elements. Ornamentation with contemporary architecture is starting to utilize visual space as well as physical space for ornamentation; e.g., the proliferation of lighting accents and L.E.D. schemes to add depth to a design.

The gargoyle itself has a history well out of reach of anyone currently living I would think, and, to me, the notion of a creature perched atop a building is entrenched in a kind of bizarre nostalgia/historical fantasy. Successfully reinstantiating such a thing and not having it instantly relegated to kitsch would be quite a challenge.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 9:25 PM
No grabbing my banana!

^ Perhaps not in Modernist, strictly speaking. But maybe in the newer forms of architecture that are still being developed, or will be developed in the future.

Besides gargoyles, I'd like to see more statues being used - they seem to add an element that just astounds me every time I look at them. My favorite example is the Grand Central Terminal. If you're ever walking on 42nd Street on the Terminal side of the street, just look up around the middle of the building - you'll see the huge statue of Hermes with Hercules and Minerva on his side. It's incredible.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 12:22 AM
TL;DR

Ornamentation isn't completely gone from design. The Art Institute had an interesting exhibit about this last year called "Figuration in Contemporary Design". It featured examples of architecture and applied art that were gorgeous and modern, yet incorporated depictions of other forms.

This was my favorite, Klein Dytham's Leaf Chapel in Kobuchizawa, Japan.

There was also this super-cool twist on the chainlink fence, by De Makers Van:

Last edited by ardecila; Feb 1, 2009 at 12:32 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 12:37 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

There's definitely something to be said for statuary and such ornamentation. I don't think taste and design is the only reason they aren't around anymore - cost has to be a factor.

I'll tell you, though, I miss limestone

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture