HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engibeer View Post
Now that's a Christmas miracle

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 5:11 PM

Excellent response to a misinformed Telegram letter

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
"Excellent response to a misinformed Telegram letter"

Very well put reply - too many uninformed drivers like the original letter writer.

On another note, took my first drive on Team Gushue Highway yesterday. It was mid morning with light traffic and it took me about 10 minutes from Topsail Road to Stavanger Dr.
I didn't see much on social media re: traffic snarl ups on Friday afternoon after it opened. I'd say the highway opening up had some impact on that which will continue to be felt as more people become aware of its opening.
Anyway it was long overdue, but great to see it open finally. Look forward to completion!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Well I thought this was pretty obvious...not sure how that first person manages to drive on the ORR if he is doing the literal opposite of most every other driver.

That being said I think there is some merit to the confusion around merging. If I am in the right lane and I see people coming up on an onramp I usually try to get in the left lane as it just seems like common courtesy/safe thing to do to make space for them. But sometimes the left lane is full of cars in which you cannot safely switch lanes to make room for the people merging so it is on them to merge safely.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 6:05 PM

Had a chance to drive TGH today. This morning the Brier Ave ramp was drifting badly, to be expected i guess within that rock-cut. A cop had someone pulled over at the Brier overpass. Do people know it's an 80 KM road? 80 KM wasn't a safe speed in that area at 10 this morning.

It's easy now to get to/from Kelsey Dr with Cowan Heights and a bonus - I don't have to enter Mt. Pearl

I see a few media types starting on the "we don't have a new hospital but the townies get a new road" and "what about rural? I for one am glad to see some of my tax dollars spend in town. Part of the justification for TGH was for rural areas to be able to more easily access services in the City, so there's a benefit for rural.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 5:33 PM

I used the Team Gushue Highway several times during the weekend. It took just 4 minutes to get from Mount Pearl Square to the Pennywell/Columbus intersection. I used it at night as well and I'm a huge fan of those daylight LED lights. I'd love to see more of these on our highways.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
I used the Team Gushue Highway several times during the weekend. It took just 4 minutes to get from Mount Pearl Square to the Pennywell/Columbus intersection. I used it at night as well and I'm a huge fan of those daylight LED lights. I'd love to see more of these on our highways.
I have been using it a lot since it has opened. I am a huge fan. I went from near the Taxation Centre to Major's Path in 11 minutes. The Brier Avenue extension is great.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 8:40 PM

There is no signage on Topsail Rd to indicate the entrance to the TGH. When Mt. Pearl said they weren't going to contribute to any costs I guess they weren't kidding.

On another note, I was heading north on the TGH this morning and there were TWO unmarked police cars pulling people over southbound. I guess they are going to be strict on the 80km speed limit.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
There is no signage on Topsail Rd to indicate the entrance to the TGH. When Mt. Pearl said they weren't going to contribute to any costs I guess they weren't kidding.

On another note, I was heading north on the TGH this morning and there were TWO unmarked police cars pulling people over southbound. I guess they are going to be strict on the 80km speed limit.
I was also heading North on TGH around 2ish and just North of Kenmount, happened to glance over and saw a car (male driver), matching my speed going North in the Southbound lanes!

After noticing he was head on with vehicles coming at him in both lanes, he quickly pulled to the side. He got on the Southbound lanes by going up the ramp on the Southside of Kenmount the wrong way! So much for signage.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 12:26 PM

The Team Gushue signage definitely needs to be revisited. The Mount Pearl approach should say Park Avenue rather than Dunn's Road (a street 3 houses long, come on). The Blackmarsh/Captain Whelan approach should mention Cowan Heights (If Elizabeth Park gets overhead highway signage, a place with 15,000 people should). On the Brier approach, I would also have "City Centre" on the sign. On the Goldstone approach, I would also have "Kelsey Drive" on the sign. A couple of Airport directional signs wouldn't hurt either for out of towners/tourists. And last but not least, the lighting is wonderful. It would be great to see the older part of the highway lit....and this may be asking too much....but the Outer Ring??? As for lighting on the entrances (Brier, Captain Whelan,etc), I'm guessing this will eventually be covered by the city.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:37 PM

Quote:
The Team Gushue signage definitely needs to be revisited. The Mount Pearl approach should say Park Avenue rather than Dunn's Road (a street 3 houses long, come on). The Blackmarsh/Captain Whelan approach should mention Cowan Heights (If Elizabeth Park gets overhead highway signage, a place with 15,000 people should). On the Brier approach, I would also have "City Centre" on the sign. On the Goldstone approach, I would also have "Kelsey Drive" on the sign. A couple of Airport directional signs wouldn't hurt either for out of towners/tourists. And last but not least, the lighting is wonderful. It would be great to see the older part of the highway lit....and this may be asking too much....but the Outer Ring??? As for lighting on the entrances (Brier, Captain Whelan,etc), I'm guessing this will eventually be covered by the city.
Agree on all points.
Only thing I'm wondering is why the speed limit is 80km/Hr and not 90? The highway design should be able to handle it IMO.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:46 PM

80 km/hr makes no sense on a highway of that quality...fully controlled access, good sight lines, divided. (the signage is the only ting that sucks...lol). Time to start lobbying for 90km/hr.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:02 PM

Oh yes.....I meant to put the speed limit in there too. 90 km/h for sure

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
80 km/hr makes no sense on a highway of that quality...fully controlled access, good sight lines, divided. (the signage is the only ting that sucks...lol). Time to start lobbying for 90km/hr.
Lousy signage is a hallmark of Newfoundland highways.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Oh yes.....I meant to put the speed limit in there too. 90 km/h for sure
Why 90 and not 100?

Last edited by colinpeddle; Dec 20, 2018 at 6:04 PM. Reason: meh

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:44 PM

Easy Tunnel Construction

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
I was also heading North on TGH around 2ish and just North of Kenmount, happened to glance over and saw a car (male driver), matching my speed going North in the Southbound lanes!

After noticing he was head on with vehicles coming at him in both lanes, he quickly pulled to the side. He got on the Southbound lanes by going up the ramp on the Southside of Kenmount the wrong way! So much for signage.

After posting this, I had occasion to head down east to Stavanger area. On the way back South on TGH, I decided to take the ramp to Kenmount East to see why the driver mentioned above would get into the wrong lanes.

Looking back while descending the ramp; there is absolutely no signage indicating, "Do Not Enter", or "Wrong Way", etc. This to me is gross negligence!

I am surmising that the driver mentioned above, occasionally used that ramp when one could head North on TGH before construction. If he's an out of towner, then it could be an honest, albeit "not thinking", mistake.

Last edited by jjavman; Dec 14, 2018 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 10:47 PM

Air Canada Flight Changes

Air Canada has cancelled two late arriving flights. Can't say I'll miss the one that arrived from Toronto at 3:30AM.
I'll have to see how it works out when returning from some US destinations, it may involve overnighting somewhere rather than the late arrival.
According to article passengers are going to be served by larger aircraft at earlier times so it could work out for the good.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...unge-1.4951180

Last edited by Offshore1; Dec 19, 2018 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Clarity

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 1:32 PM

Road Work Tenders Issued

Road work tenders issued for 2019 season.

https://www.thetelegram.com/news/reg...season-270363/

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 2:10 PM

Finally had a chance to drive the TGH extension last light. It's truly a great driving experience. The only thing: the city has got to repaint the lines on Penneywell going to Brier Avenue, or put some signage up as to what lane you need to be in to access Brier.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's